Bi Wiring speakers in 2Ch stereo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By bluewizard

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Bi Wiring speakers in 2Ch stereo

Ok folks....
I presume this topic has been beat to death somewhere on this forum (?) - I see comments on both sides of the aisle.

I've always done this but I'm in process wiring a new set of speakers and wondering if I am in fact gaining something by running 4 conductors to each speaker - older JM Lab Focal 826 floor standing speakers w/dual posts.

Thanks/Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Bi Wiring speakers in 2Ch stereo

Short and simple:

Not really.

A little bit longer:

You lower inductance and resistance, but increase capacitance by running two sets of wires in parallel.

Is it measurable by multimeter? Yes.

Is it measurable by microphone? In most cases no. But. If you have wire that’s high resistance, then bi wiring to lower resistance will probably affect the sound level (not characteristics) as it’ll be louder and let more of the current through.

Is this audible? See above.

Will people claim its audible? Of course. A couple of my favorites are: “The music kept pace better” and “It really opened up the highs” or “Gave the music a much wider soundstage”

Want some first hand proof? Listen to some music, and have a friend or family member connect and disconnect the second set of wires at will. If you can hear the active difference then color me wrong!
Soulburner likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)

Last edited by Russdawg1; 06-24-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Use star quad cable and you'll have four conductors in a configuration that increases common-mode noise rejection at the cost of higher capacitance. Audible benefit? Meh, unless in a very noisy environment...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Some analysis and explanation from science-type guy, Dr. Jim Lesurf, from the University of St. Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland. Warning, pages below contain math. May cause confusion and lack of understanding, followed by rapid rupture of cranium.

An Explanation Of Bi-Wiring.

A Simple Electronic Analysis Of Bi-Wiring.

Some Examples Of The Possible Effects.

Modulation Muddle.

A Cable Conundrum.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for input; I think I can safely go without 'bi-wring' my speakers.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I've always done this but I'm in process wiring a new set of speakers and wondering if I am in fact gaining something by running 4 conductors to each speaker - older JM Lab Focal 826 floor standing speakers w/dual posts.

Thanks/Bill

DUAL Posts
- what does that mean? Does it mean TWO and only TWO posts, or does it mean TWO PAIR of post (4 total)?

Searching Google-Images, it most likely mean TWO and only TWO Posts.

In this case, Bi-Wiring is pointless, you are in effect simply using larger wire, and if you want large wire, then just buy larger wire.

If your speakers have FOUR Binding Post, then ...maybe.... It might be worth it for the experience, and to be able to say that you have done it, but beyond that it is dubious at best. In this case (4 terminals) assuming you have removed the Jumper Bars from the Speaker Terminals, you have separate Current Paths for the Bass and the Mid/High.

In vague pseudo-theory, separating the High and Low signals can have some advantage. But generally it makes no difference assuming you are using cable of a reasonable size to start with; 14ga is more than adequate for most reasonable and common wire lengths.

I don't discourage people from doing this, assuming each speaker has 4 binding terminals, it is worth it for the experience, but in my experience, it made virtually no difference in the sound. Try it if you want, just don't expect much.

However, in this case, as it seems the speakers only have TWO binding post, and there is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE to using FOUR wires.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-26-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Quote:

Thanks/Bill

DUAL Posts
- what does that mean? Does it mean TWO and only TWO posts, or does it mean TWO PAIR of post (4 total)?

Searching Google-Images, it most likely mean TWO and only TWO Posts.

In this case, Bi-Wiring is pointless, you are in effect simply using larger wire, and if you want large wire, then just buy larger wire.

If your speakers have FOUR Binding Post, then ...maybe.... It might be worth it for the experience, and to be able to say that you have done it, but beyond that it is dubious at best. In this case (4 terminals) assuming you have removed the Jumper Bars from the Speaker Terminals, you have separate Current Paths for the Bass and the Mid/High.

In vague pseudo-theory, separating the High and Low signals can have some advantage. But generally it makes no difference assuming you are using cable of a reasonable size to start with; 14ga is more than adequate for most reasonable and common wire lengths.

I don't discourage people from doing this, assuming each speaker has 4 binding terminals, it is worth it for the experience, but in my experience, it made virtually no difference in the sound. Try it if you want, just don't expect much.

However, in this case, as it seems the speakers only have TWO binding post, and there is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE to using FOUR wires.

Steve/bluewizard
Speakers have 2 pair of posts; I just did single pair of wires to each speaker w/posts jumpered and can’t detect anything lost; I’m passing on bi-wiring going forward.
Thanks/Bill
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Speakers have 2 pair of posts; I just did single pair of wires to each speaker w/posts jumpered and can’t detect anything lost; I’m passing on bi-wiring going forward.
Thanks/Bill
Are these Cobalt, Aria, Chorus, other? I'm looking on Google-Images and finding conflicting photos.

So, 4 terminals on the back of each speaker?

In this case, there could ...maybe... possibly... sort of... be of some value, but not likely. Again, I don't discourage people from Bi-Wiring. It is worth it to say you've done it, and you can make up your own mind. But don't expect much.

But to remotely have a chance of getting something from Bi-Wiring, you have to remove the Jumper Bars to separate the Bass from the Mid/High, then run speaker wire to each set of terminals. But again, don't expect much, but if you like it, that's OK, you like it - Done.

To some extent, one manufacturer, at some point in time, added two extra terminals, after that everyone wanted them. They wanted them because they felt they were getting something extra, or they were losing something by not having them, even though they never get around to using them.

So, try it, if you like it - fine, and if you don't - fine. Knowledge is never wasted.

Steve/bluewizard
pase22 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Cobalts: I have both 815 and 826- both have dual posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page