Recommendations for 11-speaker HT system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 2 Post By rogan7
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By sdrucker
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 2 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Recommendations for 11-speaker HT system?

I'm helping a friend put together a dedicated HT room that measures roughly 16' x 19' x 9' (W x L x H). I'll be recommending a Denon AVR-X6500H that has enough amp channels to power a 7.1.4 speaker configuration.

We haven't settled on in-wall/ceiling vs. free-standing or mounted speakers, so there's flexibility there to consider a variety of recommendations.

There's no set budget, although there's no bottomless pit of money to draw from either. I'd say $5000 or less for all 11 speakers would be a reasonable range, but please don't go looking for ways to spend every penny of it just because

Assuming almost 100% HT use, what would you recommend for a completely timbre-matched system including 4 ceiling speakers? Does such a thing exist, or should I be resigned to mixing and matching ceiling speakers from a different brand than the rest of them?

Basically I don't know what the possibilities are on the market and the only things set in stone are the room size and the receiver (pretty much) with the budget being set in soft stone, so I'm open to hearing all thoughts and recommendations within the given parameters.

Edited to note that the subwoofer will be a separate purchase that I already have ideas for.

Sony XBR-55X900E || Sony UBP-X800 | Sony PS4 Pro | Sony PS3 | Roku Premiere 2018
Sony SCD-555ES || Marantz SR6012 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 || Paradigm Studio 80, 20, CC v2 | Polk OWM3 | PSA XS30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
You could definitely do a full Revel Concerta2 system with in ceilings or a full Klipsch RP system with in ceilings for $5000 or less.

The trick is just finding a dealer to give you a discount. You could save a lot of money or put better speakers within your budget that normally wouldn’t fall in your budget without a discount.
MentatYP likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi friend,

I have a 7.4.4 setup and was just shy of $5000. I got a denon x4500 for an incredible deal at fry's and bought an xtra amp for 2 speakers and saved me some money as that receiver allows for 11 channel setup.

Yes. Go for the 4 in-ceiling if ur doing atmos and your room allows for it. I use to use the 4 upward firing speakers and experiemented with the height speakers too..., BUT for atmos, go in-ceiling all the way. I personally preferred to stick with the same speaker brand and have no regrets doing so (klipsch).

I personally have no experience with in-wall speakers, and have heard different things. Cosmetically and for space saving purposes maybe go for in-wall? I just use surrounds on stands and have book shelve speakers on stand for the rear. Happy hunting! It's addicting and fun
DavidTheGeek and MentatYP like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
I'm helping a friend put together a dedicated HT room that measures roughly 16' x 19' x 9' (W x L x H). I'll be recommending a Denon AVR-X6500H that has enough amp channels to power a 7.1.4 speaker configuration.

We haven't settled on in-wall/ceiling vs. free-standing or mounted speakers, so there's flexibility there to consider a variety of recommendations.

There's no set budget, although there's no bottomless pit of money to draw from either. I'd say $5000 or less for all 11 speakers would be a reasonable range, but please don't go looking for ways to spend every penny of it just because

Assuming almost 100% HT use, what would you recommend for a completely timbre-matched system including 4 ceiling speakers? Does such a thing exist, or should I be resigned to mixing and matching ceiling speakers from a different brand than the rest of them?

Basically I don't know what the possibilities are on the market and the only things set in stone are the room size and the receiver (pretty much) with the budget being set in soft stone, so I'm open to hearing all thoughts and recommendations within the given parameters.

Edited to note that the subwoofer will be a separate purchase that I already have ideas for.
HSU HYBRID 3 package or Hybrid 2 with dual subs.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html
You can use these as atmos channels.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
Excellent system, way under budget.
MentatYP likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Do you have any room pics or drawings with seating layout?

What type of display? If projector will you use an AT screen.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8592 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Quote:

That is not a huge room so definitley consider RSL; AVS just did a review of their newest and best speakers.

https://www.avsforum.com/rsl-cg5-cg2...system-review/

You could use the more capable CG25s all around in the system you are considering or a mixture of CG25s and CG5s as in the system reviewed by AVS.

RSL also happens to make the most often recommended in ceiling speaker here on AVS.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

For subwoofers I'd look at other options as the Speedwoofer 10 is a fine subwoofer for the money but there are better options when a larger budget is in the mix.

Best of all RSL offers free return shipping if not happy.
MentatYP likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Maybe PSB gear - it's a value version of what JBL/Harman does, with PSB's design measurement refinements out of the Canadian NRC facilities. Paul Barton worked with Floyd Toole prior to the latter moving onto Harman and his fame for Sound Reproduction as the acoustician's bible. PSB speakers are known for neutrality and good off-axis performance, most of their speakers (the more recent ones) use the same 1" titanium tweeter, and they're designed for timbre match.

For $5K you could do 7 on-wall or Imagine X series speakers and four of their CS500 or CS1000 ceiling-mounted (not built-in) speakers with aimable tweeters and flexible horizontal/vertical mounting. That would allow you to refine placement to emphasize performance for MLP.

If your budget were a little larger I'd do JBL gear (SCL?) or possibly 708i or p speakers is all around. JBL is really the gold standard for AVS fanatics about accurate sound IMO.

As for subs - I'm not clear what your budget is for them (or whether that's part of the $5K) but two, preferably four matching subs for smooth response, placed 1/4 and 3/4 or possibly mid-wall, to create a virtual sub effect at MLP would be the way to go. Possibly something in the HSU line - whether to do sealed or ported depends on WAF and your music vs. HT primary focus - but you won't go wrong with Rhytmik either. A slightly higher budget and possibly Seatons of some flavor.

One thing: whatever you do, I'd see if I could demo them somewhere before buying. And if you go the PSB route, you can get information on the PSB owners thread, but be advised that many of the more recent posters aren't using the more recent Imagine or Imagine X speakers so much as value second-hand products. Probably just the nature of the posters more than a statement about the brand as such. The PSB website certainly has plenty of information about their designs.
MentatYP likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 06-26-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8592 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Quote:

Are you near any of these manufacturers/vendors?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands
MentatYP likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:

Look for some used JBL pro/cinema speakers. You should be able to get the lower 7 channels and then find some good in ceiling speakers. RSL makes good ones at a good price. The overhead effects speakers don't need to match.
sdrucker and MentatYP like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page