Sony 5.1 / Samsung TV What type of cables/connectors needed? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rahim_s_a

post #1 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sony 5.1 / Samsung TV What type of cables/connectors needed?

Hi,
I have a Samsung TV series 6 (model UN55J6200) and recently bought a Sony 5.1 speaker/sub combo from a private seller. Sub model: SA-WMSP75, speaker model: SS-MSP75 (4 speakers) and SS-CNP75 (center speaker). However, I did not get the cables, connectors etc with this purchase. Can you help what type of cables, connectors or devices I would need to make the TV sound come out of the sub and speaker set?

Attached images of the TV output ports, and sub/speaker input ports. Need your expert advice.

Thanks, Abdul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung TV ports.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2585250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Sub-woofer input port.png
Views:	14
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	2585254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony center speaker input ports.png
Views:	13
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	2585262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony satellite speaker input ports.png
Views:	13
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	2585270  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think those speakers are for a 5.1 dvd/blu-ray player.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahim_s_a View Post
Hi,
I have a Samsung TV series 6 (model UN55J6200) and recently bought a Sony 5.1 speaker/sub combo from a private seller. Sub model: SA-WMSP75, speaker model: SS-MSP75 (4 speakers) and SS-CNP75 (center speaker). However, I did not get the cables, connectors etc with this purchase. Can you help what type of cables, connectors or devices I would need to make the TV sound come out of the sub and speaker set?

Attached images of the TV output ports, and sub/speaker input ports. Need your expert advice.

Thanks, Abdul
You need a 5.1 audio video receiver to power the speakers and send a signal to the powered subwoofer.

You would connect the TV audio out to the receiver using a digital optical cable.

This is one of the cheapest new ones I could find quickly.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
The speakers that you list are part of a home theater system. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TCkaecm2XKXKut, HT-DDW750.

You need a receiver that is part of the package (STR-K750P) or equivalent to use it with a TV. The TV cannot supply power to external speakers; just a signal.

The good news is that the speakers are rated at 8 ohms, so a standard type receiver will be able to drive them. The subwoofer is powered, which is also normal. (Home theater in a box type systems sometimes use nonstandard components, but there's no such problem here.)
post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

@gajCA , @bobknavs

Will the Sony st-k502p model receiver work? I see a local seller giving it on the cheap.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@gajCA , @bobknavs

Will the Sony st-k502p model receiver work? I see a local seller giving it on the cheap.
Also, will the adapters like below work (DAC converters)? Will it power/signal the speakers and sub-woofer?

Musou 192kHz DAC Digital to Analog Converter Toslink Coaxial SPDIF Input to Analog RCA Stereo R/L Output Audio Adapter with 3.5mm Jack for PS3 Xbox HDDVD PS4 Home Cinema Systems
post #7 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Also, will the adapters like below work (DAC converters)? Will it power/signal the speakers and sub-woofer?

Musou 192kHz DAC Digital to Analog Converter Toslink Coaxial SPDIF Input to Analog RCA Stereo R/L Output Audio Adapter with 3.5mm Jack for PS3 Xbox HDDVD PS4 Home Cinema Systems
I haven't studied it in detail, but I think the combination should be OK. (The STR-K502P could be on the order of 20 years old.)

The TV has an optical output, and the receiver has two optical inputs, so all that you need is a TOSLINK optical cable. No adapters, converters, etc. Just a straightforward digital connection.

Cables, including optical ones, may be a lot cheaper online than at local retail.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-28-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:

If budget permits, you'd be better off with a modern AVR that has HDMI, room correction and bass management. Maybe a little more than you wanted to spend, but much better unit as well. To answer your question, yes the Sony will work.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
@gajCA , @bobknavs

If it is the STR-K502P as in the link, it will work.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-s...r-5-1-channel/

Just connect the TV audio out to it using one of these; you might have to go into the TV menu and turn the Optical Audio Output "on."

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...21801077&psc=1

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If it is the STR-K502P as in the link, it will work.

Just connect the TV audio out to it using one of these; you might have to go into the TV menu and turn the Optical Audio Output "on."
Thank you @gajCA . If at all I have to buy a non-SONY receiver (from craigslist or facebook marketplace), what should I check to make sure that it is compatible with these speakers and sub-woofer?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you @gajCA . If at all I have to buy a non-SONY receiver (from craigslist or facebook marketplace), what should I check to make sure that it is compatible with these speakers and sub-woofer?
Nothing at all.

If is a 5.1 receiver with an optical audio "in" (which most all of them have had since the 1990s) you should be good to go.

If it has HDMI that would be even better as then you'd connect the HDMI to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV and have more surround modes available but if not Optical is just fine.

From your manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.103-0330.pdf

Digital Audio (Optical) Connection
Connecting an AV receiver to the TV via a digital audio (optical) connector lets you listen to digital
audio.
" Connecting a device using an optical cable does not automatically turn off the TV speakers. To turn off the
TV's speakers, set TV Sound Output (Sound > Speaker Settings > TV Sound Output) to something other
than TV Speaker.
" Adjust the audio device's volume using its remote control.
" An unusual noise coming from the audio device while you are using it may indicate a problem with the
audio device itself. If this occurs, ask for assistance from the audio device's manufacturer.
" Digital audio is only available with 5.1-channel broadcasts.
Refer to the diagram and connect the optical cable to the TV's digital audio output connector and the
device's digital audio input connector.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you @gajCA . Will update on the progress I make in getting this setup done.
gajCA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page