Seeking a 5.1 System Purchase Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Seeking a 5.1 System Purchase Advice

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been reading a lot of posts for quite some time. I seek your advice on buying a 5.1 system for my upcoming home theater room. The room is in the basement (17x13x8.5) with no windows; only one door exists. I am trying to keep the budget between $1100 to $1500 excluding the sub, which I am willing to pay in the range of $1000. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to audition any system (I don't live in the States). So I have to rely on advice from other people. I will use the systems to watch movies and some sports.

After checking the local market, I came up with following options:

Q Acoustics 3050i for $1820 (including sub)

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 for $945

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 for $1280

KEF Q (Q150+Q650C+Q350) for $1510

Klipsch (RP-160 + RP-150 + RP-450C). I lost my quotation for this system, but it is priced similar to the US.

As for the subwoofers, I have very little options when it comes to finding a good sub locally. We had a vendor who used to have SVS subs for about 25% more than the price in the US, but they are out of stock. I could get a Klipsch 112SW or 115SW. I could also get the Goldenear Forcefiled 5 for $980.

I could shop online, but shipping cost will be very expensive. In some cases it can by as much as the items themselves. However, I contacted a couple of online vendors in the US:
HSU Research: I inquired about the 5.1 package (4 HB-1, 1 HC-1, and VTF-2 MK5). The price is $1299 plus $630 for shipping. I will have to pay additional 10% for customs and duties.
I also contact RSL and Ascend Acoustics, but never got a reply.

Which system do you suggest? Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3188 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
Have you listened to any speakers locally? Is that an option for you? If so, that is what i would recommend. Speakers tend to be the most difficult purchase to pin down, because there just isn't a "best". It's all about what you like, how it will be used, and the room it will be in.

In which country will you be making the purchase?

Also, see if one of these is available to you:

https://www.avforums.com/review/xtz-...r-review.12865

Not a lot of experience with these here in the states, but the few reviews I've seen here have been extremely positive.

https://www.xtzsound.com/product/sub-17-series

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-29-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9700 Post(s)
Liked: 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyb50 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been reading a lot of posts for quite some time. I seek your advice on buying a 5.1 system for my upcoming home theater room. The room is in the basement (17x13x8.5) with no windows; only one door exists. I am trying to keep the budget between $1100 to $1500 excluding the sub, which I am willing to pay in the range of $1000. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to audition any system (I don't live in the States). So I have to rely on advice from other people. I will use the systems to watch movies and some sports.

After checking the local market, I came up with following options:

Q Acoustics 3050i for $1820 (including sub)

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 for $945

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 for $1280

KEF Q (Q150+Q650C+Q350) for $1510

Klipsch (RP-160 + RP-150 + RP-450C). I lost my quotation for this system, but it is priced similar to the US.

As for the subwoofers, I have very little options when it comes to finding a good sub locally. We had a vendor who used to have SVS subs for about 25% more than the price in the US, but they are out of stock. I could get a Klipsch 112SW or 115SW. I could also get the Goldenear Forcefiled 5 for $980.

I could shop online, but shipping cost will be very expensive. In some cases it can by as much as the items themselves. However, I contacted a couple of online vendors in the US:
HSU Research: I inquired about the 5.1 package (4 HB-1, 1 HC-1, and VTF-2 MK5). The price is $1299 plus $630 for shipping. I will have to pay additional 10% for customs and duties.
I also contact RSL and Ascend Acoustics, but never got a reply.

Which system do you suggest? Thank you very much.
What Country are you located in as XTZ and BK Electronics (UK) make very good subs.

Here's BKE's offerings and they ship to the EU assuming you are in Europe.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

All your choices are solid ones.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-30-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I live in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately XTZ doesn’t ship there. The only chance for me to audition the above mentioned speakers is probably with the Klipsch, but then there is nothing to compare against. So to buy locally, I need to stick with list or buy online and pay premium for the shipping cost.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 3673 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I live in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately XTZ doesn’t ship there. The only chance for me to audition the above mentioned speakers is probably with the Klipsch, but then there is nothing to compare against. So to buy locally, I need to stick with list or buy online and pay premium for the shipping cost.
I get the speakers and hold off on the sub. Given your limited options, SVS is the best available to you and worth the wait IMO.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3188 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
If that list is it, then I would go with the QA or the KEF.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-30-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, ideally get an SVS sub as the others don't deliver the good like they do.

As to what to buy.

Most of those speakers have measurements on Soundstage so that would be a good place to look.

And by all means audition live the Klipsch. The problem with their very nice larger subs have been amp failures.

Generally you want the flattest response possible with gently rolling off highs being just fine when looking at the listening window chart which is the easiest to "understand."

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 33 Old 07-27-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I live in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately XTZ doesn’️t ship there. The only chance for me to audition the above mentioned speakers is probably with the Klipsch, but then there is nothing to compare against. So to buy locally, I need to stick with list or buy online and pay premium for the shipping cost.
As mentioned, ideally get an SVS sub as the others don't deliver the good like they do.

As to what to buy.

Most of those speakers have measurements on Soundstage so that would be a good place to look.

And by all means audition live the Klipsch. The problem with their very nice larger subs have been amp failures.

Generally you want the flattest response possible with gently rolling off highs being just fine when looking at the listening window chart which is the easiest to "understand."

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140
I had a chance to listen to Klipsch RP-280F. They sounded too bright for my liking. Unfortunately, there is zero chance to audition other speakers. I am now leaning towards Chane 2.4 for LCR and 1.5 for surround and having them shipped overseas. What do you all think?
post #9 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I had a chance to listen to Klipsch RP-280F. They sounded too bright for my liking. Unfortunately, there is zero chance to audition other speakers. I am now leaning towards Chane 2.4 for LCR and 1.5 for surround and having them shipped overseas. What do you all think?
Would that essentially double the cost to you?

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 07-28-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8000 Post(s)
Liked: 6103
Quote:
If the Chanes don't bust your budget once the shipping and customs are included, sure why not...very safe bet.

However, the QA or KEF speakers will definitely *not* be bright compared to the Klipsch. Just don't get the QA sub, it's useless...if you have to buy a sub domestically then the Klipsch 115 is the best you'll get unless you can find the SVS.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 3266
If Chane is too expensive .... then KEF is a good option --- after that, the Q A can work for you

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not knowing what else you have available locally, Kef, Canton, Q Acoustics would be good options. SVS is pretty much everywhere now so I look into them as a first option followed by B&K electric if you're in the EU.

It may helpful if we knew what country you're in so we can lookup what is available to you.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #13 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Not knowing what else you have available locally, Kef, Canton, Q Acoustics would be good options. SVS is pretty much everywhere now so I look into them as a first option followed by B&K electric if you're in the EU.

It may helpful if we knew what country you're in so we can lookup what is available to you.
He's in Saudi Arabia and laid out the brands he has direct access to.

To be honest I'd just get one of those brands rather than deal with shipping from the US.

He eliminated Klipsch so he's now considering Q Acoustics or Monitor Audio which would be great choices but paired with the Klipsh R115SW sub, (not a QA or MA sub) though he should make sure it has the "newer" amp which was rolled out in late 2017 according to those aware of the "fix" made to that sub amp.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 33 Old 07-28-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
He's in Saudi Arabia and laid out the brands he has direct access to.

To be honest I'd just get one of those brands rather than deal with shipping from the US.

He eliminated Klipsch so he's now considering Q Acoustics or Monitor Audio which would be great choices but paired with the Klipsh R115SW sub, (not a QA or MA sub) though he should make sure it has the "newer" amp which was rolled out in late 2017 according to those aware of the "fix" made to that sub amp.
I would be happy with either of those options, but would go QA if he can get the concept series. That Klipsch sub is a good option if SVS is out of the running.

post #15 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Update:
Thank you all for the great contribution. I thought I would give a status update.
Q Acoustics: the dealer here only carries the 3010 model.
Monitor Audio Bronze: can be bought without auditioning.
Monitor Audio Silver: I can get the C350 and 100, but they would cost me $2000 for the just the LCR.
Kef Q series: available for purchase without auditioning.
SVS subs are still out of stock locally and there is no definitive date on there return.

US Brands:
A friend of mine can help me ship a set of speakers and a sub for a very reasonable shipping cost through a forwarding company.
I contacted Jon Lane from Chane to get A2.4 for LCR and a couple of A1.5. When I told him that I will be sending them to a forwarding company he was hesitant to sell and stopped responding to my emails. I thought Chane speakers would give me the best bang for the buck.

I am also considering Ascend 340s+170s or Sierra 1s if the price difference is justified. Also HSU’s HB1s+HC1 or even CC8-B are considered. I am not sure wether the Elac will fit as a contender.

As for the sub I am leaning towards HSU VTF3 MK5.

So to sum up, I can buy the Kef Q or the Monitor Audio locally without auditioning or I can go with Ascend or HSU from the US.

What are your thoughts?
post #16 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update:
Thank you all for the great contribution. I thought I would give a status update.
Monitor Audio Silver: I can get the C350 and 100, but they would cost me $2000 for the just the LCR.
SVS subs are still out of stock locally and there is no definitive date on there return.

US Brands:
A friend of mine can help me ship a set of speakers and a sub for a very reasonable shipping cost through a forwarding company.
I contacted Jon Lane from Chane to get A2.4 for LCR and a couple of A1.5. When I told him that I will be sending them to a forwarding company he was hesitant to sell and stopped responding to my emails. I thought Chane speakers would give me the best bang for the buck.

I am also considering Ascend 340s+170s or Sierra 1s if the price difference is justified. Also HSU’s HB1s+HC1 or even CC8-B are considered. I am not sure wether the Elac will fit as a contender.

So to sum up, I can buy the Kef Q or the Monitor Audio locally without auditioning or I can go with Ascend or HSU from the US.

What are your thoughts?

Though unlikely, you're pretty much stuck with Ascend/HSU if you don't like them. Good luck dealing with a forwarding company if you receive damaged speakers. Kef and Monitor audio are very good speakers so you should inquire about their return policy.

post #17 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Though unlikely, you're pretty much stuck with Ascend/HSU if you don't like them. Good luck dealing with a forwarding company if you receive damaged speakers. Kef and Monitor audio are very good speakers so you should inquire about their return policy.
Unfortunately, the return policy here for such equipment really sucks. Usually returns are accepted only if the merchandise is faulty and the return window is less than a week. They are mainly special order from the manufacturer to the dealer after the customer pays for them. So I will be stuck with the speakers in any case.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the return policy here for such equipment really sucks. Usually returns are accepted only if the merchandise is faulty and the return window is less than a week. They are mainly special order from the manufacturer to the dealer after the customer pays for them. So I will be stuck with the speakers in any case.
It's a difficult situation to be in. You're pretty much locked in with whatever you get. The MA Silver are a level above everything else on your list and also most expensive. Kef are well rounded speakers that will do equally well for both music and movies. If you really want to take a chance with a forwarding company, Ascend is the safest bet.

post #19 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Update:

US Brands:

What are your thoughts?
In a 17x13' basement room the VTF-3 would be overkill; I'd just get the VTF-2 which should be plenty already.

You said your usage is simply "sports and movies"---in which case you do NOT need to shell out big bucks for stuff like the MA Silver and Ascend Sierras.

To be honest with you, given that you have to pay a forwarding company a big chunk of money to ship AND you have to pay import duties/customs, I would keep it simple and just order 5 x NHT SuperOnes from Amazon.com for about $100 apiece (they are sold for $175 each from the NHT website).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #20 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In a 17x13' basement room the VTF-3 would be overkill; I'd just get the VTF-2 which should be plenty already.

You said your usage is simply "sports and movies"---in which case you do NOT need to shell out big bucks for stuff like the MA Silver and Ascend Sierras.

To be honest with you, given that you have to pay a forwarding company a big chunk of money to ship AND you have to pay import duties/customs, I would keep it simple and just order 5 x NHT SuperOnes from Amazon.com for about $100 apiece (they are sold for $175 each from the NHT website).
Thanks Zorba. I selected the VTF-3 based on HSU technical support’s recommendation. As for the NHT, I haven’t considered them before. Amazon can ship them directly to me for an additional $90 per speaker. That includes shipping, taxes, and import charges. I will read more about them.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #21 of 33 Old 08-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Update:

US Brands:

What are your thoughts?
While hardly perfect on Crutchfield's website you can listen to KEF and Monitor Audio compared to the Klipsch you listened to as a base line.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fslgmE...e/default.aspx

Geoff A. J., California
post #22 of 33 Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to give an update on my search so far. First based on @Zorba922 recommendation, I have already got the HSU VTF-2 sub.

After doing a lot of research in the last couple of months, it is still hard to pick the right speakers without auditioning. Anyway, to summarize, we have local dealers for KEF and Monitor Audio. Both don’t offer any audition. I posted in the UK avforums website asking to compare both brands. Almost everyone picked the KEF Q series. I can have a set of 5 speakers comprising of Q150, Q350, and Q650 for about $1450. Also available all the the three towers from the series.

Another options I am considering is to order online if the sound quality plus being neutral and non-fatiguing is superior to the KEF Qs. By the way, I am not planning on any upgrade for the next 10 years at least.

Ascend 340 for LCR and 200 for surrounds. That’s about $1000 plus ~$500 for shipping, totaling ~$1500.

Emotiva B1+, C2+, and E2 for surrounds. That’s about $1000 plus ~$500 for shipping, totaling ~$1500.

Other options is higher step up sets:
Polk Audio Lsim 703, 706c, and 702 F/X. With the discount from Adorama, they cost $1200. Shipping is about $800, making the totaling $2000.

Buchardt Audio S300 MK2 for LCR, which are about $1550 including free shipping. Buchardt recommends having ELAC as surrounds so I am thinking of adding the ELAC Debut on-wall speakers for $400 including shipping. That will set the price for $1950.

I also need your advice on the AVR receiver. I have the option of picking the Denon X4500H or the Marantz 7013 for an additional $133. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks again everyone.
post #23 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to give an update on my search so far. First based on @Zorba922 recommendation, I have already got the HSU VTF-2 sub.

After doing a lot of research in the last couple of months, it is still hard to pick the right speakers without auditioning. Anyway, to summarize, we have local dealers for KEF and Monitor Audio. Both don’t offer any audition. I posted in the UK avforums website asking to compare both brands. Almost everyone picked the KEF Q series. I can have a set of 5 speakers comprising of Q150, Q350, and Q650 for about $1450. Also available all the the three towers from the series.

Another options I am considering is to order online if the sound quality plus being neutral and non-fatiguing is superior to the KEF Qs. By the way, I am not planning on any upgrade for the next 10 years at least.

Ascend 340 for LCR and 200 for surrounds. That’s about $1000 plus ~$500 for shipping, totaling ~$1500.

Emotiva B1+, C2+, and E2 for surrounds. That’s about $1000 plus ~$500 for shipping, totaling ~$1500.

Other options is higher step up sets:
Polk Audio Lsim 703, 706c, and 702 F/X. With the discount from Adorama, they cost $1200. Shipping is about $800, making the totaling $2000.

Buchardt Audio S300 MK2 for LCR, which are about $1550 including free shipping. Buchardt recommends having ELAC as surrounds so I am thinking of adding the ELAC Debut on-wall speakers for $400 including shipping. That will set the price for $1950.

I also need your advice on the AVR receiver. I have the option of picking the Denon X4500H or the Marantz 7013 for an additional $133. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks again everyone.
For your sports/TV usage, I'd say it's a tossup between the Ascends and Emotivas, can't go wrong with either. If you like the ability to play super loud, the Ascends will be better. If you want extra insurance against listening fatigue or if you want to enjoy very satisfying detail even at low/moderate volume, the Emotivas.
pase22 likes this.

post #24 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 3266
Quote:

Thanks again everyone.
Now the Buchardt look like a solid option for you -- the Denon can work fine for you

----------------
Who AM I
post #25 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For warranty purposes and in case you don't like and want to return them, I'd get something available locally.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

post #26 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
For warranty purposes and in case you don't like and want to return them, I'd get something available locally.
This ^
post #27 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to return them unless they are defective because they are custom ordered. They will still be covered by a three year warranty though.
post #28 of 33 Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to return them unless they are defective because they are custom ordered. They will still be covered by a three year warranty though.
Assuming that they are not damaged in shipping (the Chane A2.4 I received was packed quite well so I tend to doubt it) I think that the Chanes are among the safest bets for ordering unheard, along with the Ascends. I'd say go for it...I worked in Saudi for 5 years and the whole region is mostly an audio desert...tiny selection, low quality at inflated prices.

post #29 of 33 Old 10-24-2019, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922

Assuming that they are not damaged in shipping (the Chane A2.4 I received was packed quite well so I tend to doubt it) I think that the Chanes are among the safest bets for ordering unheard, along with the Ascends. I'd say go for it...I worked in Saudi for 5 years and the whole region is mostly an audio desert...tiny selection, low quality at inflated prices.
Actually Chane was my first choice but Mr Lane refused to ship to forwarding companies.
post #30 of 33 Old 10-24-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Actually Chane was my first choice but Mr Lane refused to ship to forwarding companies.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. I'd check with Ascend next, in that case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page