Klipsch Surround Speaker Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question Seeking Klipsch Surround Speaker Advice

Recently I saw a deal in one of the store for Klipsch surround speaker, RP-240S with only $400 for a pair, originally I think this is a great deal. But later a pair of RP-260F price went down to $500 for a pair, this is a jaw-breaking price for sure. Question is:

1) If I buy RP-240S with the speaker stand, the price will be the same as the RP-260F, compare with both speakers, which one will be more suitable for surround speaker usage?
2) If using the floorstanding speaker as surrounding speaker, will it be an overkill?
3) RP-260F will be directional speaker compare to RP-240S, will it perform well for movie watching?

Last edited by HikaruJ; 06-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.
HikaruJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,813
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruJ View Post
Recently I saw a deal in one of the store for Klipsch surround speaker, RP-240S with only $400 for a pair, originally I think this is a great deal. But later a pair of RP-260F price went down to $500 for a pair, this is a jaw-breaking price for sure. Question is:

1) If I buy RP-240S with the speaker stand, the price will be the same as the RP-260F, compare with both speakers, which one will be more suitable for surround speaker usage?
2) If using the floorstanding speaker as surrounding speaker, will it be an overkill?
3) RP-260F will be directional speaker compare to RP-240S, will it perform well for movie watching?
Unless you have multiple rows of seating you can just get a pair of RP-150's and be done. You could of course use 260F's but not really necessary. I don't know what sub(s) you have, but I generally advise to spend more on subs and least as possible on surrounds.
Madmax67 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Unless you have multiple rows of seating you can just get a pair of RP-150's and be done. You could of course use 260F's but not really necessary. I don't know what sub(s) you have, but I generally advise to spend more on subs and least as possible on surrounds.
Thanks for your suggestion, I just have 2 Klipsch R-12SW, and I'm quite new to build my 5.1.2 with Klipsch speakers (Currently just using the Onkyo speakers for F-LR/C/S-LR/H-LR). I do not have multiple rows of seats (19ft x 6ft for my room size), but I'm willing to have floorstanding speakers as F-LR for sure (RP-260F or RP-280F), RP-450C as C.

For the price of RP-240S, I can get RP-160M as alternative, but I did not test RP-160M before. In the show room, RP-240S really offered impressive surround sound that wrap the whole back, and RP-260F really offered the clarity and fidelity of the music as Front Speaker, but I do not know how it perform as Surround Speaker.
HikaruJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,813
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruJ View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, I just have 2 Klipsch R-12SW, and I'm quite new to build my 5.1.2 with Klipsch speakers (Currently just using the Onkyo speakers for F-LR/C/S-LR/H-LR). I do not have multiple rows of seats (19ft x 6ft for my room size), but I'm willing to have floorstanding speakers as F-LR for sure (RP-260F or RP-280F), RP-450C as C.

For the price of RP-240S, I can get RP-160M as alternative, but I did not test RP-160M before. In the show room, RP-240S really offered impressive surround sound that wrap the whole back, and RP-260F really offered the clarity and fidelity of the music as Front Speaker, but I do not know how it perform as Surround Speaker.
Now that we have a clearer picture of what you have going on, the 240's make sense if putting them between the 2 rows. I'd go with 260's up front since you 2 subs covering the low end. If you haven't purchased the subs yet, there may be better options, depending on where you live. Note: the subs do not need to match your speakers.
HikaruJ likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Now that we have a clearer picture of what you have going on, the 240's make sense if putting them between the 2 rows. I'd go with 260's up front since you 2 subs covering the low end. If you haven't purchased the subs yet, there may be better options, depending on where you live. Note: the subs do not need to match your speakers.
I guess I made my decision finally and I chose RP-240S as my surround sound, but now a tougher decision for the fronts

Option 1)
RP-260F + RP-140SA: This may fit my room better, but the ATMOS speakers only have 4" woofer

Option 2)
RP-280FA: For Stereo listening I think this will be better than RP-260F, and the ATMOS speakers are within the front speaker, so the integrity should be better. Also the ATMOS speakers are 6.5" up-firing. The only thing is I have no chance to test this speaker out, and this speaker is 1.5x more than option 1.

Any suggestion or opinions are welcome, as I'm still debating which option I should choose.
HikaruJ is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am no expert by any means (quite novice, and pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, as others can probably attest), but speaking as someone who has a room similar in size to yours (mine is 8' x about 16'): Having those huge towers along with 2 Subs does seem a bit excessive to me for such a small room, so I would probably go with (if I had all the money in the world) a pair of bookshelf front L/R's (RP-600 or 500M's), probably a slightly smaller centre (RP-600C or RP-500C so as to match the front L/R's), a smaller pair of bookshelf speakers as my surrounds (R-51M's), and likely would be fine with RP-140SA's as front heights. I would probably also only have one Sub.

But I'm also not you, so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. I can't imagine needing massive speakers screaming at me when I'd be maybe ~3-4 feet away since the room is only 6 feet wide, especially if I sat parallel against one of the longer walls as there wouldn't be much room in front of you. I can't even fit a coffee table in my room, and it's 2 feet wider than yours. I sit parallel along a longer wall in my room, all of my speakers are 5.5-6.5 feet away (sub is about 8 feet), and it really doesn't take much volume to feel the full, enveloping effects of the system I have, which right now is:

Front L/R - Polk RTi A1's (A3's are just too big for the shelf everything sits on)
Centre - Polk CSi A4
Surround L/R - Onkyo HTiB's (which I will be swapping out for a pair of Klipsch R-14M's very soon)
Sub - Polk PSW10 (which I also hope to swap out by year's end, possibly with a Polk HTS 10")

I may or may not move those Onkyo HTiB's to a Front L/R Height position for a 5.1.2 set up.
HikaruJ likes this.
Ryan Statz is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I am no expert by any means (quite novice, and pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, as others can probably attest), but speaking as someone who has a room similar in size to yours (mine is 8' x about 16'): Having those huge towers along with 2 Subs does seem a bit excessive to me for such a small room, so I would probably go with (if I had all the money in the world) a pair of bookshelf front L/R's (RP-600 or 500M's), probably a slightly smaller centre (RP-600C or RP-500C so as to match the front L/R's), a smaller pair of bookshelf speakers as my surrounds (R-51M's), and likely would be fine with RP-140SA's as front heights. I would probably also only have one Sub.

But I'm also not you, so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. I can't imagine needing massive speakers screaming at me when I'd be maybe ~3-4 feet away since the room is only 6 feet wide, especially if I sat parallel against one of the longer walls as there wouldn't be much room in front of you. I can't even fit a coffee table in my room, and it's 2 feet wider than yours. I sit parallel along a longer wall in my room, all of my speakers are 5.5-6.5 feet away (sub is about 8 feet), and it really doesn't take much volume to feel the full, enveloping effects of the system I have, which right now is:

Front L/R - Polk RTi A1's (A3's are just too big for the shelf everything sits on)
Centre - Polk CSi A4
Surround L/R - Onkyo HTiB's (which I will be swapping out for a pair of Klipsch R-14M's very soon)
Sub - Polk PSW10 (which I also hope to swap out by year's end, possibly with a Polk HTS 10")

I may or may not move those Onkyo HTiB's to a Front L/R Height position for a 5.1.2 set up.
Thank you for your information, the reason why I considered floor standing speaker is because the bass seems to be better than book shelf speakers, I tried RP160MB but compare to RP-260F, I would prefer RP-260F more, the only kicker is I never tested RP-280F/RP-280FA before, so I don't know how it performs.
HikaruJ is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruJ View Post
Thank you for your information, the reason why I considered floor standing speaker is because the bass seems to be better than book shelf speakers, I tried RP160MB but compare to RP-260F, I would prefer RP-260F more, the only kicker is I never tested RP-280F/RP-280FA before, so I don't know how it performs.
I think with two subwoofers, bass won't be an issue. You sort of have to consider everything as a whole (room size, the fact that you have two subs, etc...), I think. Even one R-12SW would adequately fill in the low end that the RP-160M can't reach (which, by the way, the lowest frequency spec of the RP-160M is only 5hz higher than my own Sub, and my Polk PSW10 shakes the 8 x 16 room I'm in often) in the size of room you're in. The RP-260F's lowest frequency spec is 34hz, which is only 5hz higher than what the R-12SW is rated to hit (29hz), which makes it slightly redundant in my opinion, and why I would go for the RP-160M's as my front L/R speakers instead.

But again, that's just me - I would gladly stand corrected if someone with more expertise chimed in. Personally, I think the key is in layering everything to give you that deep, enveloping sound rather than trying to hammer all of the bass in your face (bass seems to be the equivalent of black levels in TV colour correction, and far too many people put their black levels far too low). How are you orienting everything in the room? Are you sitting parallel with or perpendicular to the length of the room? If perpendicular, you could place one of your subs behind you to get that enveloping feeling of bass you were getting with the RP-260F?
Ryan Statz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off