New stereo system - GoldenEars / Dynaudio / Buchardt - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Liquid
  • 1 Post By callas01
  • 2 Post By lefthandluke
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By brian6751
  • 2 Post By lefthandluke
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
  • 1 Post By Greenish_thump
  • 1 Post By Alexander Jellison

post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question New stereo system - GoldenEars / Dynaudio / Buchardt

Hello there,

First of, I'm not an audiophile by any means, I just want to come home to something that sounds great and a stereo system this time around!

I've asked here before for recommendations regarding stereo speakers and learned a lot from you guys. I unfortunately didn't manage to find anything at the time and I got into a busy time at work so I didn't get any further.

But a couple of years ago I bought a Klipsch RP 5.1 hometheater setup and I rushed into buying it as I didn't really go and listen to anything else and just took the salesman word for it. The speakers have been pretty good for movies and such, but it quickly dawned upon me how bright they were. Room treatment and the Anthem amp did help some, but it can still be kinda fatiguing.

I've learned from my mistake and I'm in the process of selling my entire setup including electronics and have starting setting up some demos for some new speakers (again), as I have some spare time a the moment.

There's currently some speakers either being sold as demo models or used. I've found Dynaudio Contour 20 (demo model for 3700USD/new 5300USD) and GoldenEar Triton 3 Plus (used 2300USD/new 3500USD) which is some great deals/options.

I actually recently just heard the GoldenEar 3's a couple of weeks ago and I was quite impressed and my ears didn't seem to bothered by them even a higher volumes, I do have a meeting with the store this week where we'll listen to some Dynaudio's, probably something in the Evoke or Focus lineup. I was quite impressed with the Dynaudio Special Forty from the last time I auditioned speakers.

The Buchardt S400's is on my list too, but I have no option to have a listen to them. Any of you that can give me some insight into how they compare to GoldenEar or Dynaudio?

I'm always open to any other speaker suggestions or electronics that go good with them!

As for electronics go I considering going with the PS Audio Stellar lineup or something from Yamaha.

Listening interests: Movies and music 50/50. Anything from Instrumental classic (especially piano), electro (e.g. Daft Punk) to some rock and metal.

No placement restrictions or size concerns.

My room is about 23 x 14ft (~330 sq ft) and about 10 ft to the ceiling (7m x 4,5m x 3m / 31,5m2)

Budget: ~8000USD

I'm located in Denmark.

My current system is as follows:
  • Receiver Anthem MRX 720
  • Source OPPO UDP-205
  • Front Klipsch RP-280F
  • Center Klipsch RP-450C
  • Sides Klipsch RP-250S
  • Sub SVS PB-2000

TV Sony A1 65" | Receiver Anthem MRX 720 | Source OPPO UDP-205 | Front Klipsch RP-280F | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Sides Klipsch RP-250S | Sub SVS PB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9696 Post(s)
Liked: 6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish_thump View Post
I'm located in Denmark.

• Source OPPO UDP-205
  • Front Klipsch RP-280F
  • Center Klipsch RP-450C
  • Sides Klipsch RP-250S
  • Sub SVS PB-2000
The GoldenEars don't measure all that well but if you like the sound that's all that counts.

The Dynaudios, (not the ones you are looking at), measure better.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Any reason you don't have the well respected Danish Dali speaker brand on your list?
Madmax67 and Greenish_thump like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Liked: 3105
Quote:
Hello there,

First of, I'm not an audiophile by any means, I just want to come home to something that sounds great and a stereo system this time around!

I've asked here before for recommendations regarding stereo speakers and learned a lot from you guys. I unfortunately didn't manage to find anything at the time and I got into a busy time at work so I didn't get any further.

But a couple of years ago I bought a Klipsch RP 5.1 hometheater setup and I rushed into buying it as I didn't really go and listen to anything else and just took the salesman word for it. The speakers have been pretty good for movies and such, but it quickly dawned upon me how bright they were. Room treatment and the Anthem amp did help some, but it can still be kinda fatiguing.

I've learned from my mistake and I'm in the process of selling my entire setup including electronics and have starting setting up some demos for some new speakers (again), as I have some spare time a the moment.

There's currently some speakers either being sold as demo models or used. I've found Dynaudio Contour 20 (demo model for 3700USD/new 5300USD) and GoldenEar Triton 3 Plus (used 2300USD/new 3500USD) which is some great deals/options.

I actually recently just heard the GoldenEar 3's a couple of weeks ago and I was quite impressed and my ears didn't seem to bothered by them even a higher volumes, I do have a meeting with the store this week where we'll listen to some Dynaudio's, probably something in the Evoke or Focus lineup. I was quite impressed with the Dynaudio Special Forty from the last time I auditioned speakers.

The Buchardt S400's is on my list too, but I have no option to have a listen to them. Any of you that can give me some insight into how they compare to GoldenEar or Dynaudio?

I'm always open to any other speaker suggestions or electronics that go good with them!

As for electronics go I considering going with the PS Audio Stellar lineup or something from Yamaha.

Listening interests: Movies and music 50/50. Anything from Instrumental classic (especially piano), electro (e.g. Daft Punk) to some rock and metal.

No placement restrictions or size concerns.

My room is about 23 x 14ft (~330 sq ft) and about 10 ft to the ceiling (7m x 4,5m x 3m / 31,5m2)

Budget: ~8000USD

I'm located in Denmark.

• Source OPPO UDP-205
  • Front Klipsch RP-280F
  • Center Klipsch RP-450C
  • Sides Klipsch RP-250S
  • Sub SVS PB-2000
I'd hang on to that Anthem AVR. I'd check out Paradigm if available to you. Anthem and Paradigm are like peas & carrots.
Greenish_thump likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3183 Post(s)
Liked: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I'd hang on to that Anthem AVR. I'd check out Paradigm if available to you. Anthem and Paradigm are like peas & carrots.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Keep the Anthem (maybe the Oppo, as well), just replace the speakers. Can't go wrong with Dynaudio, and that would be supporting your home country, assuming you find something you enjoy at your price point. I would avoid the powered Golden Ear products, as they will fail (bass amp) over time. Dali was a good suggestion, however they are a touch treble forward, so be sure that is toned down a bit at some point in the demo, if you are feeling annoyed with that characteristic. Otherwise, Dali has very good mids and lows. Their wood fiber cones are highly praised in the industry as producing very natural sound.

Are you interested in a sub? See this for reference:

http://independentrecording.net/irn/...in_display.htm
Madmax67 and Greenish_thump like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-30-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'm not sure what else is available in your neck of the woods but these are some of my favorite NON Klipsch speakers that deliver a much softer sound IMO.

1. Monitor Audio
2. Paradigm
3. Martin Logan

I am like 95% tv and movies and a little streaming music.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #6 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 996
I’ve heard GEs and own Dynaudio Contour 20s, I’m not a fan of the GE speakers, they’re not terrible but they’re just not great either, IMO.
The Contour 20s sounds like a floor standing speakers, however they’re highly detailed and balanced with excellently detailed bass definition.
Never heard Buchardt,
Dali is very good to, I chose Dynaudio over Dali and Totem a few years ago and stayed with Dynaudio again. I own a pair of entry level Dalis in my bedroom. FWIW
post #7 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I would avoid the powered Golden Ear products, as they will fail (bass amp) over time.
never understood this advice (and I've read it several times from others as well)...based on this reasoning one would never by a powered subwoofer
josh6113 and lcubed like this.

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #8 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 882
@brian6751 has a pair of Buchardt s400s for sale, but I don't know if getting them from the US to you would be feasible. Brian may be able to give you some insight on them to help you with your decision however.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #9 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
never understood this advice (and I've read it several times from others as well)...based on this reasoning one would never by a powered subwoofer
Except there are two, which doubles the risk. Much better off with two bookshelf and a single powered sub. Purely from a risk perspective. Now, if you are purchasing them in lieu of purchasing two subs, then by all means, have at it.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1733
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
@brian6751 has a pair of Buchardt s400s for sale, but I don't know if getting them from the US to you would be feasible. Brian may be able to give you some insight on them to help you with your decision however.

Mine are sold already. Sorry
smcmillan2 and Greenish_thump like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #11 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Except there are two, which doubles the risk. Much better off with two bookshelf and a single powered sub. Purely from a risk perspective. Now, if you are purchasing them in lieu of purchasing two subs, then by all means, have at it.

well...I have 3 powered subs so my risks are tripled I guess. don't mean to be smarmy Ray but class D amps these days are nearly bulletproof...enough so to where it shouldn't influence ones buying decision. now if you stated the flexibility of sub location as an issue or didn't like the fact that you have to be near a power outlet...those reasons would be something the OP should take into consideration
JJ7 and Greenish_thump like this.

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #12 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
well...I have 3 powered subs so my risks are tripled I guess. don't mean to be smarmy Ray but class D amps these days are nearly bulletproof...enough so to where it shouldn't influence ones buying decision. now if you stated the flexibility of sub location as an issue or didn't like the fact that you have to be near a power outlet...those reasons would be something the OP should take into consideration
Yeah, those are issues, as well. Choice is good. Freedom of choice is better. To each their own!

post #13 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1962
It was Kasper Raun, formerly of Dynaudio, who designed the Buchardt speakers. Just to help explain what you're getting into

As was mentioned, Dali is nearby as well.

I have not heard GoldenEar, but I don't imagine they sound similar to any of these.

Buchardt offers a worldwide in-home trial, which is pretty awesome, even though you're in the neighborhood. I would grab the S400 and the Special 40 and see which one you end up liking better. I think many of us would be interested in that comparison as well.

The only catch is you'll have to wait a bit for S400 stock to arrive.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #14 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks a lot for all of the answers, it's greatly appreciated!

I don't know why I haven't tried out some Dali speakers before, but I'll have a listen to some this week and see how I like them, the same shop carries B&W too so I can have a re-listen to them.

I'll reconsider the GE and maybe just go with some of the others brands we have talked about so far.
The Dynaudio Special 40 was quite nice the last time I heard them.

There seems to be only one place in Denmark that carries Paradigm and its actually quite close to me. Quite excited to give them a listen!
gajCA likes this.

TV Sony A1 65" | Receiver Anthem MRX 720 | Source OPPO UDP-205 | Front Klipsch RP-280F | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Sides Klipsch RP-250S | Sub SVS PB-2000
post #15 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all of the answers, it's greatly appreciated!

I don't know why I haven't tried out some Dali speakers before, but I'll have a listen to some this week and see how I like them, the same shop carries B&W too so I can have a re-listen to them.

I'll reconsider the GE and maybe just go with some of the others brands we have talked about so far.
The Dynaudio Special 40 was quite nice the last time I heard them.

There seems to be only one place in Denmark that carries Paradigm and its actually quite close to me. Quite excited to give them a listen!
Just saw your post and was basically in the same situation as you a few months ago. Figured I'd let you know what I learned along the way. Wound up waiting for the Buchardt S400's and couldn't be happier with them. After the Buchardt's showed up I purchased a PS Audio Stellar stack and did not think they went together very well at all. I like a neutral sound signature and don't use any type of dsp or eq, so choosing the right gear is very important. The Stellar amps are very neutral and super powerful, but the Stellar dac/preamp sounded very bright with the Buchardt's. Wound up sending it back and keeping the Stellar amps and looking for a more neutral preamp. Just a word of caution if you decide on the Buchardt's. They like a lot of power and can be picky about what you hook them up to, but are very rewarding when you get it right. Still want to get my hands on the Special 40's and try them out. They're the only other speakers that were on my radar if the S400's didn't impress me. Hope this helps out.
Soulburner likes this.

Mytek Brooklyn Dac+ | PS Audio M700 monoblocks | Buchardt S400's
post #16 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Jellison View Post
Just saw your post and was basically in the same situation as you a few months ago. Figured I'd let you know what I learned along the way. Wound up waiting for the Buchardt S400's and couldn't be happier with them. After the Buchardt's showed up I purchased a PS Audio Stellar stack and did not think they went together very well at all. I like a neutral sound signature and don't use any type of dsp or eq, so choosing the right gear is very important. The Stellar amps are very neutral and super powerful, but the Stellar dac/preamp sounded very bright with the Buchardt's. Wound up sending it back and keeping the Stellar amps and looking for a more neutral preamp. Just a word of caution if you decide on the Buchardt's. They like a lot of power and can be picky about what you hook them up to, but are very rewarding when you get it right. Still want to get my hands on the Special 40's and try them out. They're the only other speakers that were on my radar if the S400's didn't impress me. Hope this helps out.
Looking forward to seeing if you can do a comparison with the Special 40s. If after that you feel like continuing, the winner of that round vs Ascend Sierra 2 EX (not yet on website) would be interesting.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page