Speaker firing into acoustic screen frame - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Speaker firing into acoustic screen frame

Over the next couple weeks, I plan on converting my existing fixed frame wall mounted screen into an acoustically transparent screen setup.

I have three matching fusion 15 towers that are about 42 inches at the middle of the horn. My issue is that the 15 inch woofer driver will have the bottom of the screen frame bar running right in front of the cone.

Does anyone have any advice on if this will be a problem or what should be done? I could platform them but then they would be too high. I was also giving some thought to flipping them upside down and having the woofers above with a platform to get the tweeter height just right.

Last edited by Mike Lang; 07-01-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolthoff View Post
Does; anyone have any advice on if this will be a problem or what should be done?
From experience it will be a problem. Only thing is to raise the speakers so that it clears the base of the frame.
I wouldn't worry too much about the tweeter being too high unless its extreme.

yes. some people hang their speakers upside down so the tweater is at the right hight.
you can also angle the tweeter down in pro gear; you may be able to angle it down a bit but be carefull, you should strap it down for safety
if its not too far off then just ignore the problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Or ... move the screen so the frame is out of the way?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Or ... move the screen so the frame is out of the way?
Attached is a picture of the setup as it sits now. When I put the acoustic screen in, I was planning to move the subwoofer more towards the middle, but have it still stick out from the front of the screen as that box is fairly deep. This limits how far the screen can move down. As you can see from the existing setup, the frame bar of the acoustic screen would roughly bisect the 15" woofer on the LCR if it was behind the screen.

I could bring them up even more, but the tweeters would be quite high and I'd maybe start to run into issues with the ports firing into the frame as well? I could try to get them the exact height for the frame to pass between woofer bottom and port top I guess, and I do plan on leaving a gap between screen and speakers anyways.

The other option I had mentioned would be to flip them completely upside down and build some 36" ish stands to get the tweeters firing at ear level. I've never run speakers like this and I'm not sure if having the woofers that high would cause other issues.

(I'm also not quite sure why it keeps flipping my image sideways)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker_Corner.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	932.8 KB
ID:	2586710  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Try raising the screen about 6", so the frame falls between the two drivers. In addition, having the frame farther away from the speaker itself may cause more issues than if it is close. All you can do is experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

FYI, one guy who had this same problem finally changed out his speakers, such that the layout of the tweeter/woofers avoided the problematic area. Worked great for him.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Try raising the screen about 6", so the frame falls between the two drivers. In addition, having the frame farther away from the speaker itself may cause more issues than if it is close. All you can do is experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

FYI, one guy who had this same problem finally changed out his speakers, such that the layout of the tweeter/woofers avoided the problematic area. Worked great for him.
Raising about 6" is probably possible. I'll try that as well as going upsidedown on stands to see which sounds/measures better. I don't think I'll be swapping speakers anytime soon, as I'm fairly attached to what is in there now sound quality wise. At least I know that I'm definitely not going to leave anything in line with the frame.

Going higher to fully clear the woofer above the frame might get tried too. Sounds like I'll have plenty of experimentation to do once the new screen shows up!

If anyone has any more info about having the woofers higher up than than the compression driver (upsidedown) in an acoustically transparent setup, I'd be interested to hear about it. I believe these are crossed over at around 1000hz, if that would be helpful to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page