Speaker Novice - Need Advice/Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 3 Old 07-01-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Novice - Need Advice/Recommendations

Hi,

I recently moved to a new house and the previous owners left their Klipsch Quintet speakers installed.

My previous set up was:
  • Receiver - YAMAHA RX-V667BL 7.2-Channel Receiver
  • Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer
  • Center - Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker
  • Front - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker
  • Surround - Polk Audio RM75
I noticed a big difference in quality between my Polk center and the Klipsch center. I have since hooked up my Polk center speaker back up.

My questions are:

1. How does the Klipsch compare to my previous setup? As I mentioned the center was noticeable so I switched that back.
  2. With the arrangements of the room I don't have room for floor standing speakers. All of the speakers are mounted on the wall. Would it be worth upgrading the speakers? If so, what would you recommend? It seems that most 'bookshelf' speakers are quite large so I think it would need to be smaller than that. I'm not an audiophile by any means just looking for something that sounds decent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  3. Currently the TV is just on a stand on the floor. If I mount the TV it will be above the fireplace and I won't be able to use my Polk center speaker. How does something like the Polk Audio 255C-RT compare to my Series II? I don't understand the different specifications enough to know if it will be comparable. Are there any other suggestions for a center? There is a small mantle so if it was thin enough it could sit on that otherwise a wall mounted and in-wall will work.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundPolandTravel View Post
Hi,

I recently moved to a new house and the previous owners left their Klipsch Quintet speakers installed.

My previous set up was:
I noticed a big difference in quality between my Polk center and the Klipsch center. I have since hooked up my Polk center speaker back up.

My questions are:

1. How does the Klipsch compare to my previous setup? As I mentioned the center was noticeable so I switched that back.
  2. With the arrangements of the room I don't have room for floor standing speakers. All of the speakers are mounted on the wall. Would it be worth upgrading the speakers? If so, what would you recommend? It seems that most 'bookshelf' speakers are quite large so I think it would need to be smaller than that. I'm not an audiophile by any means just looking for something that sounds decent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  3. Currently the TV is just on a stand on the floor. If I mount the TV it will be above the fireplace and I won't be able to use my Polk center speaker. How does something like the Polk Audio 255C-RT compare to my Series II? I don't understand the different specifications enough to know if it will be comparable. Are there any other suggestions for a center? There is a small mantle so if it was thin enough it could sit on that otherwise a wall mounted and in-wall will work.

Thanks!
If at all possible, setup your HT anywhere else in the room except above the fireplace. You'll have more placement flexibility and won't get whiplash every time you watch TV. Your current Polks are definitely better than those tiny Klipsch satellites. In-walls can get quite expensive and won't outperform stand alone speakers unless you get into the higher end stuff. You can get really nice TV stands and setup up some nice bookshelf speakers flanking the TV and center below it. Maybe even keep what you already have and just upgrade the center and sub.
spyboy likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9089 Post(s)
Liked: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundPolandTravel View Post
Hi,

My previous set up was:

My questions are:

Thanks!
Good choices with good reviews for a "soundbar like" center channel speaker are available from Polk ($10 returns to Crutchfield within 60 days but currently $100 cheaper on Amazon) and JBL (free returns).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QileB1...AaAugHEALw_wcB

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STA...IaAhqAEALw_wcB

The Stage and Polk Signature bookshelves that go with each are solid choices.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page