AVS Forum Special Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AroundPolandTravel
I recently moved to a new house and the previous owners left their Klipsch Quintet speakers installed.
My previous set up was:
- Receiver - YAMAHA RX-V667BL 7.2-Channel Receiver
- Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer
- Center - Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker
- Front - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker
- Surround - Polk Audio RM75
I noticed a big difference in quality between my Polk center and the Klipsch center. I have since hooked up my Polk center speaker back up.
My questions are:
- How does the Klipsch compare to my previous setup? As I mentioned the center was noticeable so I switched that back.
- With the arrangements of the room I don't have room for floor standing speakers. All of the speakers are mounted on the wall. Would it be worth upgrading the speakers? If so, what would you recommend? It seems that most 'bookshelf' speakers are quite large so I think it would need to be smaller than that. I'm not an audiophile by any means just looking for something that sounds decent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
- Currently the TV is just on a stand on the floor. If I mount the TV it will be above the fireplace and I won't be able to use my Polk center speaker. How does something like the Polk Audio 255C-RT compare to my Series II? I don't understand the different specifications enough to know if it will be comparable. Are there any other suggestions for a center? There is a small mantle so if it was thin enough it could sit on that otherwise a wall mounted and in-wall will work.
If at all possible, setup your HT anywhere else in the room except above the fireplace. You'll have more placement flexibility and won't get whiplash every time you watch TV. Your current Polks are definitely better than those tiny Klipsch satellites. In-walls can get quite expensive and won't outperform stand alone speakers unless you get into the higher end stuff. You can get really nice TV stands and setup up some nice bookshelf speakers flanking the TV and center below it. Maybe even keep what you already have and just upgrade the center and sub.
Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.