Need advice to improve my current speakers sound , or upgrade ?
I currently have: PSB Image 6T towers, 9C Centre , 2B Surrounds
(These were bought new around 2004) And the only part of my original HT system still in use.
60% Movies / 40% Music
My sealed HT room is 20' x 11' x 8' High :
100" screen on the long wall , with 2 reclining sofas (side by side) along the opposite long wall.
The towers are about 15' apart with the center just under the screen.
PSB's have been in constant use , as my only HT speakers , with the temperature range over the year being between 18 and 24 degrees C.
I have never had other speakers at my house to compare them with and they still sound the same to me over the years. (but they could have had some changes without me really noticing)
A year ago I got my Funk Audio Subwoofer , and the PSB's keep up great .
The items I want to "improve" on is:
1) With higher volume music situations , they can sound too bright
2) Sometimes (for movies , not music) I feel the vocals could be clearer.
But perhaps this has something to do with the source material and not just the speakers ?
I have an amateur "Audiophile" friend , he says he likes the warmer natural sound from his newer Elac speakers over my PSB's.
Have heard that toeing in the towers may help tone down the brightness, and perhaps I will try that the next time my friend comes over , and see if we can hear a difference .
I am hesitant to change my PSB speakers , as I do love them over 90% of the time .
In the past 2 years I have upgraded to the Oppo UPD-203 player and a Modern Denon AVR X4400H , and got my first real Subwoofer (Funk Audio 18.1) .
So was thinking my next upgrade should be going from 5.1 to 5.1.4 Atmos
However , Improving the LCR would be a bonus if costs can be controlled , perhaps if the toeing in works , then if needed , just a "better" center channel speaker (new or used) is all that is required .
But which one ...that is the question ?
I like to keep my gear as long as possible (over a decade) , as I am not the type to make changes just to keep up with the Jones's.
1) Other than toeing in the towers (will try that later this month) , what other suggestions do you have that I should try ?
2) Any specific new or used Center (or even tower) speakers , that would work noticeably better with my gear and room ? (don't really want to buy gear for just a slight improvement)
3) Or just forget about changing the PSB's , and do my original intention of going to 5.1.4 Atmos
4) For 5.1.4 what on ceiling (or high up on wall) speakers would you recommend ? (read that Elevation Prime are good, but any others that would be as good or better ?)
5) Any advantage to go to IN rather than ON ceiling speakers (not concerned about looks, and IN ceiling would be harder to wire in my situation but not impossible )
Denon AVR X4400H , PSB Image 6T towers, 9C Centre , 2B Surrounds
Panasonic PT-AU3000U Projector , 100" screen , Oppo UPD-203
Funk Audio 18.1 Subwoofer