Can you suggest a good modern system to replace my Atlantic Technology System 350? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 2 Post By Brett Hays
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Brett Hays
  • 1 Post By Brett Hays
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By Brett Hays

post #1 of 26 Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can you suggest a good modern system to replace my Atlantic Technology System 350?

I have had these Atlantic Technology System 350THX speakers for over 15 years. They still sound great, but I cannot find an affordable receiver that can power them without shutting off at any reasonable volume.

I have a brand new Onkyo TX-RZ830 that I absolutely love. It’s rated for 4ohm speakers, but if I turn the sound up anywhere above 70 (82 is reference) it won’t make it through an entire movie without shutting off and going into amp diag mode at least once. I had the same problem with the Sony STR-DN1080 I had before. The only thing I ever had that would run them reliably was a set of old Marantz MA500U mono thx amps. I think it’s probably time to get some newer speakers rather than another external amp.

What would be an affordable new system that would give me the same sound I’ve been used to without being quite so hard on my receiver? Or if there just isn’t one under $1500.. Can you suggest a good 5 channel amp that could handle them that I could use with the pre-outs on the Onkyo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8800 Post(s)
Liked: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hays View Post
I have had these Atlantic Technology System 350THX speakers for over 15 years. They still sound great, but I cannot find an affordable receiver that can power them without shutting off at any reasonable volume.

I have a brand new Onkyo TX-RZ830 that I absolutely love. It’s rated for 4ohm speakers, but if I turn the sound up anywhere above 70 (82 is reference) it won’t make it through an entire movie without shutting off and going into amp diag mode at least once. I had the same problem with the Sony STR-DN1080 I had before. The only thing I ever had that would run them reliably was a set of old Marantz MA500U mono thx amps. I think it’s probably time to get some newer speakers rather than another external amp.

What would be an affordable new system that would give me the same sound I’ve been used to without being quite so hard on my receiver? Or if there just isn’t one under $1500.. Can you suggest a good 5 channel amp that could handle them that I could use with the pre-outs on the Onkyo?
Are you located near any of these manufacturers/vendors?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands
BufordTJustice likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Are you running that receiver in an airflow-restricted cubbyhole?

Good 5 channel amp, look at Outlaw Audio Model 5000. Excellent 4 Ohm capability AND rated with all channels driven (good luck finding that elsewhere at anywhere near the price).

As to a speaker set, what are your criteria for sound, aesthetics/size, room size, seating distance, usage?

Does that budget include a sub?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Another option, as the center channel gets the most workout in a movie, is to get a monoblock amp for the center channel.

Ask Emotiva if this will likely solve your problem.

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/hc-1

Actually, to test that theory, go into your Onkyo's menu and tell it you don't have a center channel to see if you still have the shut down problem running 4.1 with phantom center.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 666
post #6 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
That looks like a great deal.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3005 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:

Not easy tp beat that sysrem
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...tml#post623545

Look at the Outlaw Amp

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Quote:

Something's amiss Brett. Any THX Select certified AVR like your new Onkyo should have no issues cleanly driving all amplified channels of a system comprising of THX certified speakers** to Reference Level (0.0dB/82 MV) in a room up to "Select sized". Your listening distance may be longer than 12ft, but at say -7.0dB/75 MV you're only calling for 1/5th of the power from the Onkyo than would be needed at 0.0dB/82 MV. In addition, you're apparently not using all 9 of the Onkyo's amps.

As the Onkyo seems to make it a fair way through a movie before shutting off, I wonder if cumulative heat build-up is the issue. Is the Onkyo adequately ventilated?

Also, did you dutifully follow the Onkyo's manual and set the speaker impedance to 4Ω? If so, I strongly recommend you change it back to 6Ω. See this post for an explanation, particularly the comparative output figures for the high and low impedance settings in the linked Audioholics measurements. The Onkyo's protection circuits could be detecting that amps are being overdriven due to the voltage limiting the 4Ω setting applies.

It's going to be tough to match the performance of your current speakers with a $1500 budget, so a bit of diagnosis is probably worth a shot.

** Edit: While the speakers comprising the AT System 350THX are indeed 4Ω nom. impedance, like any THX speakers they are designed as a strictly sub/satellite system and therefore can trade off LF extension to gain above average sensitivity, in this case "90dB" (no units). This good sensitivity means these speakers should not be difficult to drive to high levels with a mid-tier AVR.

Last edited by GIEGAR; 07-05-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 259
check out the monoprice monolith amps if you want an outboard amp. but an AC infinity fan would be a lot cheaper!

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
check out the monoprice monolith amps if you want an outboard amp. but an AC infinity fan would be a lot cheaper!
Those are very cool ...

https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans/

post #11 of 26 Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a cooler on the receiver, it’s not an ac infinity but it’s similar.. moves quite a bit of air.

I decided I didn’t want to give up on my speakers so I ordered an Emotiva A-500 BasX amp. It seemed to have pretty solid reviews and I got a great deal.

Thanks for the recommendations.
gajCA and BufordTJustice like this.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have a cooler on the receiver, it’s not an ac infinity but it’s similar.. moves quite a bit of air.

I decided I didn’t want to give up on my speakers so I ordered an Emotiva A-500 BasX amp. It seemed to have pretty solid reviews and I got a great deal.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Be sure to update us with your impressions of the Emo Amp ...

post #13 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, update.

Hooked up the Emotiva Amp and it shut off even more quickly than the Onkyo receiver. Started pulling speakers one at a time to isolate and narrowed it to the left front speaker. Replaced the speaker cable, no change. Ugh, 20 year old speakers, how am I going to find a replacement?

So, I started disconnecting drivers in the speaker one by one and the amp would shut off exactly the same with no drivers connected at all, so I'm assuming that means the crossover module is the problem. I emailed Atlantic Technology to see if I can get a replacement crossover module.

I searched everywhere for 351LR speakers and found nothing. I did find a 353C center channel speaker on Ebay (same drivers and crossovers in the 351LR and 353C) and purchased that. So when it gets here I will hook it up in place of the left front.. if it solves the issue I will swap all of the components, starting with the crossover into the left speaker cabinet.

Ugh,

I have gone through purchasing a set of Marantz mono block amps (which never shut off with this issue.. crazy)
Getting a new Sony STRDN1080 receiver and returning it when it was shutting off
Getting a new Onkyo TX-RZ830 receiver thinking it would be able to handle the 4ohm speakers better
Ordering the Emotiva A500 when the Onkyo kept shutting off.. and now this..

Finally found the problem, at least.. so.. assuming this fixes the problem, I will hook the Onkyo back directly to the speakers and assuming it handles them fine, decide whether to keep or return the Emotiva... good grief
post #14 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Something's amiss Brett.
It turned out to be the left front speaker (specifically the crossover I believe) see my post just now.. what an odyssey this has been
post #15 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like you have a handle on the actual problem and it's solution, at least for now. Keep us updated, as you work through the problem.

post #16 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Sounds like you have a handle on the actual problem and it's solution, at least for now. Keep us updated, as you work through the problem.
Hopefully. Feeling really dumb at the moment. I've been fighting this for years and never stopped to think about it being the speakers. I checked the cables.

It's just crazy that the Marantz mono amp that was on that speaker just powered right through whatever the problem is..
post #17 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully. Feeling really dumb at the moment. I've been fighting this for years and never stopped to think about it being the speakers. I checked the cables.

It's just crazy that the Marantz mono amp that was on that speaker just powered right through whatever the problem is..
Marantz:

post #18 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:

Do you have subs in your setup?
Are you running your speakers full range, I.E set to large?
Low frequencies are very power demanding on your AVR.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #19 of 26 Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Yes, two powered subs run from the sub out on the Onkyo RZ830.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post

Kinda sounding like there was some type of dead short on the crossover board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #21 of 26 Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 331
So my dad ran into this problem awhile back and it was the arc HDMI cable causing problems. The tv would try to talk to the receiver and then it would shut the receiver off. Check you tv settings

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #22 of 26 Old 07-15-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Quote:
It turned out to be the left front speaker (specifically the crossover I believe) see my post just now.. what an odyssey this has been
Thanks for the update! Some handy diagnosing there, I reckon. Assuming the replacement crossover does the trick, I think you'll find the Onkyo will have no problem cleanly driving the A/T's to high SPL's. I'd return the Emotiva as surplus to requirements in that case.

The Marantz mono's could have had less sensitive fault/protection circuitry than the Sony, Onkyo and Emotiva.
post #23 of 26 Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Thanks for the update! Some handy diagnosing there, I reckon. Assuming the replacement crossover does the trick, I think you'll find the Onkyo will have no problem cleanly driving the A/T's to high SPL's. I'd return the Emotiva as surplus to requirements in that case.

The Marantz mono's could have had less sensitive fault/protection circuitry than the Sony, Onkyo and Emotiva.
More likely, the Marantz are better built and therefore more fault-tolerant than the other options.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I received the center channel from eBay. Plugged it in in place of the left front and it solved the issues, so I transferred all of the drivers and crossovers from the center channel into the left front cabinet and the Emotiva Amp is on it's way back!!
GIEGAR and gajCA like this.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I received the center channel from eBay. Plugged it in in place of the left front and it solved the issues, so I transferred all of the drivers and crossovers from the center channel into the left front cabinet and the Emotiva Amp is on it's way back!!

Congrats on dodging the bullet! Replacing all the speakers would have been many times more expensive.

post #26 of 26 Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Congratulations!

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page