Surrounds of a different brand? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hetfieldjames
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Surrounds of a different brand?

If i watch a lot of music videos and musicals with multichannel surround sound, will i be impacted in a negative way if i go for surrounds of a different brand than my front three speakers? movie sound should not be affected as drastically but will those music videos i watch sound completely weird? Unfortunately i don't have the option of getting surrounds of the same brand as the front speakers. Reason:front speakers are B&W, i need surrounds that are bipole/dipole because my distance to the side walls is only about 6 feet each, getting direct radiating surrounds when im so close to the sides will ruin the effect of the surround, and B&W doesn't offer a single bipole/dipole speaker in their current lineup of speakers. So i have to opt for a different brand. The current bipoles of another brand im looking at have aluminium dome tweeters, my front B&W speakers have diamond tweeters. How much will this negatively impact me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
If i watch a lot of music videos and musicals with multichannel surround sound, will i be impacted in a negative way if i go for surrounds of a different brand than my front three speakers? movie sound should not be affected as drastically but will those music videos i watch sound completely weird? Unfortunately i don't have the option of getting surrounds of the same brand as the front speakers. Reason:front speakers are B&W, i need surrounds that are bipole/dipole because my distance to the side walls is only about 6 feet each, getting direct radiating surrounds when im so close to the sides will ruin the effect of the surround, and B&W doesn't offer a single bipole/dipole speaker in their current lineup of speakers. So i have to opt for a different brand. The current bipoles of another brand im looking at have aluminium dome tweeters, my front B&W speakers have diamond tweeters. How much will this negatively impact me?
Some people would say it matters.. in my experience it's no problem.

I have Xtz stands, Xtz sub, Cerwin Vega Center and Proson Event51 surrounds on stands.

I really love it, and maybe the room correction helps.. in this case an old Yamaha ypao.

Only problem I've encountered was when I didn't like a specific speaker quality..

One Jamo had low sound and later blowed the elements, and one big floorstands had to low quality tweeter....

As long as you don't choose very opposite, I believe your good..
But I proudly mix Cerwin and Xtz.

Cerwin is solid, compact yet big sound. That's why I keep it.

And my opinion is don't worry, other than the estethics... Style.

Sent fra min AGS-W09 via Tapatalk

Last edited by IIDexII; 07-05-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 991
For surrounds you can get away with it. LCR should be same brand and the same line within that brand.
darthray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
For music and gaming, you're more likely to notice a difference. You reduce that effect by getting similar type speakers, but there will still be a difference. For movies it'll be much less noticeable.
IMO Music will always sound better in 2.0/2.1 since it was recorded that way. Even When I had a matching 5.1 setup, music always sounded better in 2.1 whether it be Youtube, Spotify, CD...etc. YMMV
darthray likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
I would say that you don't want speakers that are grossly different, but primarily the Front Three (left/center/right) need to be tonally matched. That is they need to have similar sound characteristics. The easiest way to assure that is for the Front Three to be the same Brand and Series. Sometimes people manage that by hit-and-miss or by blind-dumb-luck. Feel free to try either of those, but the simplest is to Brand and Series match the speakers.

In some cases, someone might go up one model for the Center. Just to illustrate, Monitor Audio Bronze Front, but with a Silver Center Speaker.

As to the Surrounds, that is far less critical. As long as they are not a grossly or very noticeable mismatch, just about anything capable of doing the job will be fine.

Steve/bluewizard
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure it is blind wild luck with me, I'm relatively picky.

But I also heard neumorous people mix Xtz and Swans In center with big plus.

Swans is expensive BIG! centers, Xtz is cheaper.

But back then the Xtz had a small turned over center.

Now they have a bigger center think Cinema thx with four or six tweeters.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 374
how do i know if they are a 'very noticeable mismatch' when shopping for a bipole surround? my front 3 are b&w diamond series. b&w doesn't make a bipole, have to look at some other brand. and that won't have the diamond tweeter like the fronts have.

and my concern wasnt with 2 channel music, it was with music videos with dd 5.1 and such.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
how do i know if they are a 'very noticeable mismatch' when shopping for a bipole surround? my front 3 are b&w diamond series. b&w doesn't make a bipole, have to look at some other brand. and that won't have the diamond tweeter like the fronts have.

and my concern wasnt with 2 channel music, it was with music videos with dd 5.1 and such.
You won't know until you get them and try them in YOUR system and space. Ideally, you'd listen to what you're interested in along with Diamonds. Might be impossible though. I would even contact B&W and run this by them. While they may not want to suggest another brand over theirs, I would hope they'd at least be able to make suggestions as to what speaker design features you might want to look for to assist in the best possible blending.

Are you saying that you've tried monopoles and you're experiencing this issue of a ruined surround effect? 6 feet might be close, but it could be a lot worse and I think the right monopole would likely do fine. What bipole are you considering?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most retailers in HiFi has buy and try offers, at least all the serious retailers here I live.

Så why don't try?

It's more like don't mix horns and dome tweeters.

On the other hand I mix Ribbon tweeters and dome tweeters.

No problem in my setup...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page