Polk Audio S50 vs. Wharfedale D240 vs. Wharfedale D330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 07-07-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Polk Audio S50 vs. Wharfedale D240 vs. Wharfedale D330

Upgrading the Front Towers and Sub-Woofer in my 5.1 home theater, and trying to decide between the (1) Polk Audio S50, (2) Wharfedale D240, and (3) Wharfedale D330. As for the Sub-Woofer, have decided on the Polk Audio HTS 12. My usage will be 50% music, and 50% Movies and TV Serials.

Background:
My original setup - Receiver: Yamaha RX-V375. Front Towers: Kenwood LS-V230. Center: Yamaha NS-C55. Rear: Yamaha NS-C56. Sub-Woofer: Mordaunt Short Carnival 9.
Comments: Found that the sub-woofer could not be pushed hard. Would occasionally hear crackling sounds when watching movie scenes with deep bass. Front towers were good, but for music listening lacked warmth, and mid-tones could have been more full-bodied. Thus sold the towers and the sub-woofer. Now looking to upgrade those.

Speakers Tested:
  • Polk Audio S50 - Was impressed by the sound stage, clarity, and prominence of individual notes.
  • Polk Audio S55 - Same as above, and mildly better bass notes. (Best bass response in the set tested).
  • Polk Audio T50 - Surprised by how good it sounded given the price.
  • Wharfedale D230 - Was okay, but disappointed after hearing the D330.
  • Wharfedale D330 - Loved the warm sound, and was great for most music.
  • B&W 684 S2 - Similar to the D330, better bass, but dropped it due to the considerably higher price.
  • Pioneer FS52 - Very similar to my outgoing Kenwood speakers. Good but pointless given the upgrade intentions.

Shortlisted:
  • Polk Audio S50
  • Wharfedale D330

Additional Notes:
Was advised that the Wharfedale D240 will be on sale in a couple of weeks, and have asked to audition it. Given that it's from a higher price point, I'm keen to see how it stacks up.
Have seen some notes on the forum here about the D240; it sounds promising.

Was almost sold on the Wharfedale D330 (over the Polk Audio S50), thanks to its warm sound. Was about to fix on it, until I heard 'Sound of Silence' by Disturbed, which fell flat compared to the same on the Polk Audio S50. There were so many more notes that were prominent on the S50. Additionally I expected that the warm sound of the D330 would serve the song well; so ended up a little disappointed and unsure.

In terms of the design and styling I prefer the Polk Audio S50.

Questions:
  • Any feedback on the Wharfedale D240?
  • How do the 3 Front Towers stack up? Any comparative thoughts?
  • Given that I will be pairing this setup with a sub-woofer, how important is it for me to go for towers with bigger drivers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66299048_10157254947165429_515410055638548480_o.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2588470  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9222 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Joseph View Post
[*]Given that I will be pairing this setup with a sub-woofer, how important is it for me to go for towers with bigger drivers?[/LIST]
The S50 would be a great choice paired with a decent subwoofer(s) as it sounds, clearly, that you preferred the S50 over the other choices.

Lots of happy Polk Signature owners on AVS.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 45 Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
i think the polks are more versatile than the lower level wharfedales' , i would grab the polks and try them, if you don't like them then return and start over...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 07-07-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked: 2479
Not sure if you saw it or not earlier today, but frys.com had the Polk S50 for $99/shipped and the S55 for $129/shipped. I think they are OOS now, however.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X,HD4.50,PC37X. HiFiMAN HE4XX. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. SA HDTwo. HyperX CloudPS4. TB Elite AtlasAero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
post #5 of 45 Old 07-08-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
Quote:
Upgrading the Front Towers and Sub-Woofer in my 5.1 home theater, and trying to decide between the (1) Polk Audio S50, (2) Wharfedale D240, and (3) Wharfedale D330. As for the Sub-Woofer, have decided on the Polk Audio HTS 12. My usage will be 50% music, and 50% Movies and TV Serials.

Background:
My original setup - Receiver: Yamaha RX-V375. Front Towers: Kenwood LS-V230. Center: Yamaha NS-C55. Rear: Yamaha NS-C56. Sub-Woofer: Mordaunt Short Carnival 9.
Comments: Found that the sub-woofer could not be pushed hard. Would occasionally hear crackling sounds when watching movie scenes with deep bass. Front towers were good, but for music listening lacked warmth, and mid-tones could have been more full-bodied. Thus sold the towers and the sub-woofer. Now looking to upgrade those.

Speakers Tested:
  • Polk Audio S50 - Was impressed by the sound stage, clarity, and prominence of individual notes.
  • Polk Audio S55 - Same as above, and mildly better bass notes. (Best bass response in the set tested).
  • Polk Audio T50 - Surprised by how good it sounded given the price.
  • Wharfedale D230 - Was okay, but disappointed after hearing the D330.
  • Wharfedale D330 - Loved the warm sound, and was great for most music.
  • B&W 684 S2 - Similar to the D330, better bass, but dropped it due to the considerably higher price.
  • Pioneer FS52 - Very similar to my outgoing Kenwood speakers. Good but pointless given the upgrade intentions.

Shortlisted:
  • Polk Audio S50
  • Wharfedale D330

Additional Notes:
Was advised that the Wharfedale D240 will be on sale in a couple of weeks, and have asked to audition it. Given that it's from a higher price point, I'm keen to see how it stacks up.
Have seen some notes on the forum here about the D240; it sounds promising.

Was almost sold on the Wharfedale D330 (over the Polk Audio S50), thanks to its warm sound. Was about to fix on it, until I heard 'Sound of Silence' by Disturbed, which fell flat compared to the same on the Polk Audio S50. There were so many more notes that were prominent on the S50. Additionally I expected that the warm sound of the D330 would serve the song well; so ended up a little disappointed and unsure.

In terms of the design and styling I prefer the Polk Audio S50.

Questions:
  • Any feedback on the Wharfedale D240?
  • How do the 3 Front Towers stack up? Any comparative thoughts?
  • Given that I will be pairing this setup with a sub-woofer, how important is it for me to go for towers with bigger drivers?
If you listen to the sound of silence on the 240's, It'll still sound flat but with more bass. Based on what you described, you prefered the S50's compared to the others. Go with what your ears tell you and go with what you like best.

I'm curious if you listened to other stuff as well? Klipsch, PSB, Kef etc...
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 45 Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The S50 would be a great choice paired with a decent subwoofer(s) as it sounds, clearly, that you preferred the S50 over the other choices.

Lots of happy Polk Signature owners on AVS.
Thank you for that. It's highly likely I may end up with that combo.

In terms of my hearing preference, I'm currently torn between the warm sound of the D330, and the clarity of the S50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i think the polks are more versatile than the lower level wharfedales' , i would grab the polks and try them, if you don't like them then return and start over...
Yes, that makes sense. I do think that from my testing the Polk S50 was consistently good across more genres of music, versus the D330 that excelled in some songs, but failed to impress on others.

As for returns, I don't have that option. I'm based in the Philippines. Not only can't I return, but I am forced to pay ridiculously more for the same speakers versus US prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Not sure if you saw it or not earlier today, but frys.com had the Polk S50 for $99/shipped and the S55 for $129/shipped. I think they are OOS now, however.
No I didnt, but thanks for the tip. I'm based in the Philippines though, so could not have got that deal sadly. The Polk S50's here cost around $600 US for the pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you listen to the sound of silence on the 240's, It'll still sound flat but with more bass. Based on what you described, you prefered the S50's compared to the others. Go with what your ears tell you and go with what you like best.

I will most assuredly do that; give the same set of songs I was demoing a listen on the D240's. I get what you're saying and it makes absolute sense, with the D240's just being larger variants of the D220's. Better bass, but a similar sound rendition comparatively.

The speakers I tested were limited to the ones I mentioned in my initial post. Outside of that, I have not tested any others. The store did have Q Acoustics, and Klipsche. They may also have KEF, I did see the name listed. But if those are more expensive, then likely out of my price range.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #7 of 45 Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for that. It's highly likely I may end up with that combo.

In terms of my hearing preference, I'm currently torn between the warm sound of the D330, and the clarity of the S50.

Yes, that makes sense. I do think that from my testing the Polk S50 was consistently good across more genres of music, versus the D330 that excelled in some songs, but failed to impress on others.

As for returns, I don't have that option. I'm based in the Philippines. Not only can't I return, but I am forced to pay ridiculously more for the same speakers versus US prices.

No I didnt, but thanks for the tip. I'm based in the Philippines though, so could not have got that deal sadly. The Polk S50's here cost around $600 US for the pair.

I will most assuredly do that; give the same set of songs I was demoing a listen on the D240's. I get what you're saying and it makes absolute sense, with the D240's just being larger variants of the D220's. Better bass, but a similar sound rendition comparatively.

The speakers I tested were limited to the ones I mentioned in my initial post. Outside of that, I have not tested any others. The store did have Q Acoustics, and Klipsche. They may also have KEF, I did see the name listed. But if those are more expensive, then likely out of my price range.
sorry about your return limitations .. that may be even more incentive to try the polks , i have heard they are really very neutral and smooth for the price point ...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8 of 45 Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked: 2479
The frys.com price on the s50 and s55 included free shipping, so you don't need a local store. Not sure if they will come back in stock at those prices or not.
post #9 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Been reading some really good reviews on the ELAC Debut F5.2; Have asked to audition that as well. But in terms of pricing, its about USD 200 more expensive than the Polk Audio S50. So I'm thinking it might be comparatively overpriced.

Going by the reviews they seem more evenly matched, with specific areas they supersede each other. So not sure if the additional cost is justifiable.

Was also recommended the Focal Chorus 836V, but looks like its not available in my region.

Any thoughts on either?
post #10 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7258 Post(s)
Liked: 5565
Quote:
1. What genres of music do you listen to most often?
2. HOW LONG do you listen to music...short bursts of maybe 20-40 minutes at a time, or long multi-hour sittings?
3. HOW do you listen to music...analytically (enjoy picking out specific details and attributes of the sound), or emotionally (just close your eyes, stop thinking and let the music take you away)?

If you listen to slower, simpler and midrange dominant genres like vocal/acoustic rock and pop, jazz, or classical, I would go for the Wharfedales. Faster, complex, and high-energy dynamic music, the Polks.

Long sittings, the Wharfedales are sure to NOT be fatiguing. Especially if you have a highly reflective room.

Analytical & short time listening = you'll likely be happier with the Polks.
Lp85253 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
2. HOW LONG do you listen to music...short bursts of maybe 20-40 minutes at a time, or long multi-hour sittings?
3. HOW do you listen to music...analytically (enjoy picking out specific details and attributes of the sound), or emotionally (just close your eyes, stop thinking and let the music take you away)?

If you listen to slower, simpler and midrange dominant genres like vocal/acoustic rock and pop, jazz, or classical, I would go for the Wharfedales. Faster, complex, and high-energy dynamic music, the Polks.

Long sittings, the Wharfedales are sure to NOT be fatiguing. Especially if you have a highly reflective room.

where the heck have you been???

post #12 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW WOOT (owned by Amazon) is selling the S50's for $160. If you have Amazon prime you get free shipping. Yum yum eatemup!
post #13 of 45 Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Wharfedale makes some beautiful speakers, but I find them to be weaker on treble than most. I guess it's part of the warmth, but to me it takes a lot the sparkle out. Crutchfield's SpeakerCompare tool is pretty great for remotely evaluating the sound of different speaker brands and models.

Quote:
Have you tried buying on eBay to see if the shipping rates are lower? You can still find most speakers "new" on eBay and eBay's global shipping program seems very reasonable for shipping to many countries (not sure about Philippines specifically though).
post #14 of 45 Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, thank you for that input.

In terms of genres, quite mixed actually: Alternative, Rock, Pop, EDM, Trance, Country, Guitar Music.

Additionally, these will be used for a home-theater as well, which will be mostly movies and some TV serials. Not sports or news though.

Duration would be 2 hours and upwards. On weekends could be for several hours.

Bulk of the music listening experience will be in the background, while doing some online reading, or other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRR8T View Post
FWIW WOOT (owned by Amazon) is selling the S50's for $160. If you have Amazon prime you get free shipping. Yum yum eatemup!
Wish I could get that deal; but unfortunately not in the US. Thanks for the tip though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Wharfedale makes some beautiful speakers, but I find them to be weaker on treble than most. I guess it's part of the warmth, but to me it takes a lot the sparkle out. Crutchfield's SpeakerCompare tool is pretty great for remotely evaluating the sound of different speaker brands and models.

Have you tried buying on eBay to see if the shipping rates are lower? You can still find most speakers "new" on eBay and eBay's global shipping program seems very reasonable for shipping to many countries (not sure about Philippines specifically though).
I agree, during my auditioning that's the same thing I felt.

Thanks for the tip on the Crutchfield's Speaker Compare tool. Wasn't aware of it; used it today and found it helpful. Still leaning towards the S50.

Thanks for the tip. Wasn't aware of that feature. Even including shipping its about USD 160 less, but that does not include customs and duty. I will need to check on that to see if its viable.
pjp likes this.
post #15 of 45 Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9222 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
Been reading some really good reviews on the ELAC Debut F5.2; Have asked to audition that as well. But in terms of pricing, its about USD 200 more expensive than the Polk Audio S50. So I'm thinking it might be comparatively overpriced.

Going by the reviews they seem more evenly matched, with specific areas they supersede each other. So not sure if the additional cost is justifiable.

Was also recommended the Focal Chorus 836V, but looks like its not available in my region.

Any thoughts on either?
I think the Elac Debut 2.0 and Polk Signature series are in the same league in that both have a sound signature that is pleasing to a wide spectrum of listeners and considered "safe bets."

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 45 Old 07-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
In terms of genres, quite mixed actually: Alternative, Rock, Pop, EDM, Trance, Country, Guitar Music.

Additionally, these will be used for a home-theater as well, which will be mostly movies and some TV serials. Not sports or news though.

Duration would be 2 hours and upwards. On weekends could be for several hours.

Bulk of the music listening experience will be in the background, while doing some online reading, or other things.
In that case I think the Polks would be a solid choice.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 45 Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3103
for info -- the Elac B6 are $99 at Frys.com
https://www.frys.com/product/8935443...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

----------------
Who AM I
post #18 of 45 Old 07-14-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally made my pick and got the S50 pair. Thank you everyone.

On the last day of testing it was between the Wharfedale D240, the Wharfedale D330, and the Polk Audio S50. The D240 was on sale, and thus at a price point comparable to the other 2. Unfortunately the D240 was the first to be ruled out. I found that the clarity just wasn't in the same league as the other 2.

Like with previous testing, it was a hard choice, as the warm sound of the D330 was hard to give up. I really liked it, and some songs were great on it. But finally decided on the S50, as it performed more consistently. The fidelity of the individual notes were superior, and the versatility was indeed better. Since I plan to use it for movies as well, I was pretty set. Not to mention the useful expert feedback from this thread. Thank you everyone.

Quote:
In that case I think the Polks would be a solid choice.
Thanks much for your detailed advice. It indeed was my final choice. Been listening to several hours of music over the weekend, and am absolutely loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I think the Elac Debut 2.0 and Polk Signature series are in the same league in that both have a sound signature that is pleasing to a wide spectrum of listeners and considered "safe bets."
I finally did not audition the Elac Debut F5.2. Considering they were evenly matched, the fact that they were quite a bit more expensive was putting me off. (prices are based on Philippines SRP).

Quote:

You were right; the D240 though nice as a standalone, with no reference point; having heard it side by side with the D330 and S50, it was not in the same league. The clarity was a clear step down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190711_233223.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	2590708  
gajCA, Transmaniacon and Zorba922 like this.

Last edited by Ajay Joseph; 07-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #19 of 45 Old 07-14-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Another question to the group:

Say I wanted to add a warm-sound to my setup now, which comprises the recently added Polk Audio S50 front towers, the Polk Audio HTS 12 sub, and my existing Yamaha rear (NS-C56) and center speakers (NS-C55), would adding a Wharfedale 300C center channel do the trick?

That is, it would replace my existing Yamaha NS-C55 center speaker.

Of course for music the front towers will be the main 2, and the center and surround just add some backup in the Yamaha receiver's 5 Channel Music Mode. So my hope is while it wont be over-powering, it'll add the warm tone I like to the overall audio experience.

Does that make sense? Would like to get the groups expert comments and feedback.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #20 of 45 Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another question to the group:

Say I wanted to add a warm-sound to my setup now, which comprises the recently added Polk Audio S50 front towers, the Polk Audio HTS 12 sub, and my existing Yamaha rear (NS-C56) and center speakers (NS-C55), would adding a Wharfedale 300C center channel do the trick?

That is, it would replace my existing Yamaha NS-C55 center speaker.

Of course for music the front towers will be the main 2, and the center and surround just add some backup in the Yamaha receiver's 5 Channel Music Mode. So my hope is while it wont be over-powering, it'll add the warm tone I like to the overall audio experience.

Does that make sense? Would like to get the groups expert comments and feedback.
On the contrary. The center plays 70-75% of the movie and 99% of the dialogue so you'll want a speaker that's a little more lively. The CSI-A6 would be a good fit if you have space for it. The S30 would work too.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CSI...-A6-Black.html
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #21 of 45 Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
On the contrary. The center plays 70-75% of the movie and 99% of the dialogue so you'll want a speaker that's a little more lively. The CSI-A6 would be a good fit if you have space for it. The S30 would work too.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CSI...-A6-Black.html
Thanks for that; yes I get that for movies the center is the most important channel. I'm only referring to music.

In fact, I also get that the excessively warm tone is not ideal for movies. So much so that I am thinking that I will retain my existing Yamaha center channel for movie watching.

My question is specific to music listening. Given that I like the warm sound, and given that I have S50's, would adding just the Wharfedale 300C to the mix, add the warmth I'm looking for?
post #22 of 45 Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Given that I like the warm sound, and given that I have S50's, would adding just the Wharfedale 300C to the mix, add the warmth I'm looking for?
No.

Unless using DVD-A or SACD which are *natively* mixed for surround, IMO it is sheer abomination to upmix native 2-channel music sources into multi-channel...totally screws up the soundstage.

So if you really want to have a "warm" listening experience the much better thing to do would be to get a pair of Wharfedales and connect them to your "Zone B" speaker output and use just that for music listening.

post #23 of 45 Old 07-15-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that; yes I get that for movies the center is the most important channel. I'm only referring to music.

In fact, I also get that the excessively warm tone is not ideal for movies. So much so that I am thinking that I will retain my existing Yamaha center channel for movie watching.

My question is specific to music listening. Given that I like the warm sound, and given that I have S50's, would adding just the Wharfedale 300C to the mix, add the warmth I'm looking for?
Why would you want to use the center for music? Even with 3 identical speaker, I wouldn't use the center for music. Aside from a few SACD's and concert DVDs, music is recorded and mixed in 2.1 stereo and sounds better in stereo. You have those nice S50's so set them free and let them shine.

post #24 of 45 Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your input.

Agreed, there is very little surround music content, and yes - the rest would be an stereo up-mix. I should just call it a day with the upgrade, and enjoy the setup

My receiver doesn't have the zone B option, but thanks for suggesting that. Perhaps for a future plan.

Quote:
Why would you want to use the center for music? Even with 3 identical speaker, I wouldn't use the center for music. Aside from a few SACD's and concert DVDs, music is recorded and mixed in 2.1 stereo and sounds better in stereo. You have those nice S50's so set them free and let them shine.
Quote:
No.

Unless using DVD-A or SACD which are *natively* mixed for surround, IMO it is sheer abomination to upmix native 2-channel music sources into multi-channel...totally screws up the soundstage.

So if you really want to have a "warm" listening experience the much better thing to do would be to get a pair of Wharfedales and connect them to your "Zone B" speaker output and use just that for music listening.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
My receiver doesn't have the zone B option, but thanks for suggesting that. Perhaps for a future plan.
Actually it does, it's just called "Zone 2" and you'd need to use a bare wire connection or speaker pin connectors instead of banana plugs.
https://i2.wp.com/bestaudioreceivers...-Rear-View.jpg

post #26 of 45 Old 07-16-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both for your input.

Agreed, there is very little surround music content, and yes - the rest would be an stereo up-mix. I should just call it a day with the upgrade, and enjoy the setup

You are correct that your AVR doesn't have zone 2. Though your current receiver can drive your speakers, you may want to consider upgrading to something with better room eq, sub eq and heftier power supplies and zone 2. Probably not cheap in the Philippines, but AVR companies cycle through models every 8-10 months which usually means big discounts on previous year models. I'd wager not many on this forum paid full price for their AVR....or anything else.

post #27 of 45 Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually it does, it's just called "Zone 2" and you'd need to use a bare wire connection or speaker pin connectors instead of banana plugs.
https://i2.wp.com/bestaudioreceivers...-Rear-View.jpg
Quote:
You are correct that your AVR doesn't have zone 2. Though your current receiver can drive your speakers, you may want to consider upgrading to something with better room eq, sub eq and heftier power supplies and zone 2. Probably not cheap in the Philippines, but AVR companies cycle through models every 8-10 months which usually means big discounts on previous year models. I'd wager not many on this forum paid full price for their AVR....or anything else.
Thank you both for the info. Yes, the receiver I have is a Yamaha RX-V375, which does not have the Zone 2 feature. I've attached a layout of the rear from the manual.

Agreed on the previous models for a lower price. I myself picked up this one on a similar deal. For now I'm gonna ride it out with this one, but I may look to upgrade maybe next year or after. In addition to the feature you mentioned, If I was thinking about 7.1, or perhaps Atmos, I would certainly need to. Thankfully this one supports a 4k pass-through, so if I do upgrade the video setup, it can still facilitate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RX-V375 Rear.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2591448  
post #28 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Zorba, what's the reasons and your reasoning for the conclusions above? Curious since I'm thinking between Polk LSi M703 and Wharfedale Revas or Evos.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Zorba, what's the reasons and your reasoning for the conclusions above?
Curious since I'm thinking between Polk LSi M703 and Wharfedale Revas or Evos.
The Wharfedale Diamonds sacrifice treble extension, detail and dynamics for a velvety lush, warm midrange...which pays off beautifully for the types of music I described.

A more dynamic speaker, with more forward and extended treble perhaps even on the "bright" side, would bring out even more energy from higher-energy/tempo genres.

Two very different types of listening styles too.

In headphones, the rough equivalent might be the AKG K240s vs Beyerdynamic 770s.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

post #30 of 45 Old 10-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
The Wharfedale Diamonds sacrifice treble extension, detail and dynamics for a velvety lush, warm midrange...which pays off beautifully for the types of music I described.

A more dynamic speaker, with more forward and extended treble perhaps even on the "bright" side, would bring out even more energy from higher-energy/tempo genres.
By higher-energy/temp, I'm guessing you mean pop? I listen to old rock n roll and blues so I'm guessing Wharfies would be better for me, right?

Jim Wilson said Blues is not complex, so I'm guessing rock n roll isn't either?

Also, gajCA mentioned that more revealing speakers don't make bad sources/recording sound better; they make it sound worse. My music has a lot of bad sources/recordings, so again I guess Wharfies better than Polk LSi M703?

Only issue is I don't know how good the Wharfedale Evo 4.c center will be compared to say the Emotiva C2, which seems to be highly recommended on AVS. My usage is 20% HT, but would still like a good center. Wonder how the Emotiva bookshelves would be for blues rock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
polk audio s50 , wharfedale d240 , wharfedale d330

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page