14x17 home theater build questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By sdurani
  • 2 Post By TommyDeVito
  • 1 Post By WOKNROX
  • 1 Post By burton14e7
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
14x17 home theater build questions

Hi

Currently waiting for my new home to be build I will be having a loft area that I will be using for my home theater. It’s 14x17 I want to build a 5.2.2 system, it will be pre wired for speakers. I have been looking at the svs primer speakers and also the see that klipsch speakers are popular. I want to make sure I get speakers that will fill the room. Atmos speakers will be in ceiling.

My theater setup will be for movies mainly. I have a budget of $2500 for just speakers. If I have to get one sub at a time that can work. Mainly want a svs sub.

Any advice will be great.
rochoa21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,566
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5951
How many rows of seating?

Run wires for 9 speakers in the base layer: L/C/R on the front wall, a pair of Sides in-line or slightly forward of the seating, a pair of Rears spread out on the back wall, a pair of Wides mid-way between the Fronts & Sides. You don't have to install all those speakers but, since wire is cheap, at least run wires to all those locations while the walls are open.

For the height layer, run wires for 6 speakers: one pair slightly forward of the seating, the other pairs a few feet forward & rearward of the seating. Even if you start with only 2 overhead speakers, at least the wiring will be there when you want to upgrade (and you will) to 4 overheads.
Transmaniacon and smithsabom like this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
TommyDeVito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I'd run wiring for 7.2.4, even if you aren't going to buy all of them now or install all of them now.
solarrdadd and burton14e7 like this.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
TommyDeVito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,551
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Klipsch RP is a great choice for theater. Efficient and dynamic. Their in ceilings are also inexpensive.

Are you set on an SVS sub?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you want towers or bookshelf? Any restrictions like they have to pass the wife factor or size? How to you plan to mount the surrounds? Is it a flat ceiling your doing atmos speakers in?
Might be best to atleast give a rough drawling of the room and placement of tv, furniture, doorways and anything that would be in the way of placing speakers.
Sub size is depended on the cf of the room and any connecting rooms. If you dont mind waiting and moving it maybe twice the monolith 12 is on sale at amazon for $640 that will work for most rooms. It is large and weighs 100 pounds so keep that in mind. If your set on svs only they have sales a few times a year in the outlet and some subs are brand new and can get a good deal on one. Still has a full warranty.
I also dont seen a mention of an avr you plan to use.
As others have said i would at a minimum run wiring for a 7.2.4 setup. It will be alot cheaper do do while walls are open then later down the road.
Your budget of 2500 for speakers can get you a nice set up just dont want to recommend things that wont even fit in your space.
Gold87 is online now  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,633
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
im in an upstairs loft too..mine is about 13 X 16...i went DIY on all of my speakers...system is amazing..

Chad

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP
Nearfield: 2 Dayton HO 15's w/Inuke 6000DSP
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Do yourself a huge favor and have your electrician installed a dedicated line to this room with 30amp 10/2 wire for all your electronics.
smithsabom likes this.
WOKNROX is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im not set on SVS speakers, I will see if its not too late to add the 2nd set of upper speaker wiring. I will only be running one row of seating. In regards to speaker size no restriction, plus she wants this system to be on point. Ceiling is flat. In regards to the surrounds im not sure if wall mount or use a base. I think wall mount will look cleaner. Ill post a layout. Our room will just have a couch for seating, and some sort of AV cabinet underneath the tv.
rochoa21 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the layout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2589532  
rochoa21 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochoa21 View Post
Im not set on SVS speakers, I will see if its not too late to add the 2nd set of upper speaker wiring. I will only be running one row of seating. In regards to speaker size no restriction, plus she wants this system to be on point. Ceiling is flat. In regards to the surrounds im not sure if wall mount or use a base. I think wall mount will look cleaner. Ill post a layout. Our room will just have a couch for seating, and some sort of AV cabinet underneath the tv.
Any speakers you have had before that you liked? Or heard any you like?
I can recommend speakers i like. Emotiva T1/C1/B1, micca 8c atmos speakers would put you under 1k, for subs you could get 2 monolith 12 of amazon for $1280. Would leave some left over for some rear speaker stands for the b1. I would not wall mount b1 as they have a rear port, need about 12” of clearance.
Gold87 is online now  
post #11 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,812
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochoa21 View Post
Im not set on SVS speakers, I will see if its not too late to add the 2nd set of upper speaker wiring. I will only be running one row of seating. In regards to speaker size no restriction, plus she wants this system to be on point. Ceiling is flat. In regards to the surrounds im not sure if wall mount or use a base. I think wall mount will look cleaner. Ill post a layout. Our room will just have a couch for seating, and some sort of AV cabinet underneath the tv.
Those who have done atmos mostly report that 4 overhead speakers is much better that just 2 so maybe a good idea to run wire. SVS are good subs, but there are better value/performance options unless you're outside the US.

What to get speaker wise depends on the layout and desired output levels. If you're putting the speakers behind an AT screen, 3 identical towers behind the screen would be a good option. If putting speakers flanking the display, it would depends on available space. There are a few different ways you can go depending on how you plan the screen/display.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochoa21 View Post
Im not set on SVS speakers, I will see if its not too late to add the 2nd set of upper speaker wiring. I will only be running one row of seating. In regards to speaker size no restriction, plus she wants this system to be on point. Ceiling is flat. In regards to the surrounds im not sure if wall mount or use a base. I think wall mount will look cleaner. Ill post a layout. Our room will just have a couch for seating, and some sort of AV cabinet underneath the tv.
Any speakers you have had before that you liked? Or heard any you like?
I can recommend speakers i like. Emotiva T1/C1/B1, micca 8c atmos speakers would put you under 1k, for subs you could get 2 monolith 12 of amazon for $1280. Would leave some left over for some rear speaker stands for the b1. I would not wall mount b1 as they have a rear port, need about 12” of clearance.
I had infinity alpha speakers before but other than that I have not heard other speakers.
rochoa21 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You can always go listen to some at best buy or if you dont mind buy a couple sets of bookshelf's and listen to them at home. Most places have 30 trails.
Amazon has free returns, emotiva, svs, RSL, best buy, sure there are others that are free.
crunchfeild also does returns bit its cost $10 a pair of book shelfs
Gold87 is online now  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,428
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochoa21 View Post
I had infinity alpha speakers before but other than that I have not heard other speakers.
To do 4 Atmos in ceiling speakers your couch would have to be pulled out a few feet from the wall which may not be feasible so you may be "stuck" with 5.1.2.

Good news is that a 5.1.2 receiver is much cheaper than a 5.1.4 receiver which frees up money for a better sub.

PSB makes great speakers designed using well respected Dr. Floyd Toole's measuring tools and the Imagine series would be within your budget. $10/box returns for stand mount speakers within 60 days at Crutchfield.

Order a pair to see if you like the sound with little financial risk if you do not.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DVMGWc...magine-XB.html

RSL also makes very nice speakers with free returns if you prefer and they, in general, seem to have been better received on AVS than the SVS Prime series.

HTD also has free returns and their level three series is very nicely priced and the Klipsch RP series with free returns at Best Buy are also well worth a listen as the newest RP line has been lauded for being not only great sounding but measuring well too.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Member
 
burton14e7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I was in the same boat two years ago. I had them pre-wire 7.2.4 even though I'm only using 5.1 right now. My only regret is not having dedicate circuits ran to the two sub locations. I'm using SVS's old version of the prime towers and surrounds, I think they were called STS and SSS's or something with a PB13 ultra. It sounds amazing!
WOKNROX likes this.
burton14e7 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 221
It's a real shame that electrical power is so often overlooked.

I have come to the conclusion that people just don't believe it make a difference....but it really does.
WOKNROX is online now  
post #17 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Klipsch RP is a great choice for theater. Efficient and dynamic. Their in ceilings are also inexpensive.

Are you set on an SVS sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
To do 4 Atmos in ceiling speakers your couch would have to be pulled out a few feet from the wall which may not be feasible so you may be "stuck" with 5.1.2.

Good news is that a 5.1.2 receiver is much cheaper than a 5.1.4 receiver which frees up money for a better sub.

PSB makes great speakers designed using well respected Dr. Floyd Toole's measuring tools and the Imagine series would be within your budget. $10/box returns for stand mount speakers within 60 days at Crutchfield.

Order a pair to see if you like the sound with little financial risk if you do not.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DVMGWc...magine-XB.html

RSL also makes very nice speakers with free returns if you prefer and they, in general, seem to have been better received on AVS than the SVS Prime series.

HTD also has free returns and their level three series is very nicely priced and the Klipsch RP series with free returns at Best Buy are also well worth a listen as the newest RP line has been lauded for being not only great sounding but measuring well too.
Thanks Ill take a look.
rochoa21 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
 
WLDock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Emotiva Factory Renewed
Airmotiv T2 Main Pair - $679.15 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t2-pair
Airmotiv C2 Center - $359.10 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ed-airmotiv-c2
Airmotiv E1 Rear - $242.10 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-e1-pair
Monoprice Amber Ceiling - $129.99 https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...ab01690a240612
HSU VTF-2 MK5 Dual subs - $1165 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
---------------------------------------------
$2,577 Total


or

5 x Polk Audio LSiM703 Mains, center, surround - $1495 https://www.adorama.com/g/polkaudio-...hredirect=true
Polk Audio MC80 ceiling - $156 pair https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe...gateway&sr=8-7
HSU VTF-2 MK5 Dual subs - $1165 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
---------------------------------------------
$2816

or

5 x CHANE A2.4 mains, center, rear - $1395 https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
Radia PD-8CI Planar ceiling - $179 pair https://bgradiadesign.com/product/pd...speakers-pair/
Monolith 12 Dual subs - $1279.98 https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch...IKX0DER&sr=8-2
---------------------------------------------
$2854


Its hard to stay under $2500 going with dual 12" subs unless you find really good deals on speakers, used, or just lower MSRP priced speakers to begin with.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 07-19-2019 at 05:58 PM.
WLDock is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
Emotiva Factory Renewed

Airmotiv T2 Main Pair - $679.15 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t2-pair

Airmotiv C2 Center - $359.10 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ed-airmotiv-c2

Airmotiv E1 Rear - $242.10 https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-e1-pair

Monoprice Amber Ceiling - $129.99 https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...ab01690a240612

HSU VTF-2 MK5 Dual subs - $1165 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

---------------------------------------------

$2,577 Total





or



5 x Polk Audio LSiM703 Mains, center, surround - $1495 https://www.adorama.com/g/polkaudio-...hredirect=true

Polk Audio MC80 ceiling - $156 pair https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe...gateway&sr=8-7

HSU VTF-2 MK5 Dual subs - $1165 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

---------------------------------------------

$2816



or



5 x CHANE A2.4 mains, center, rear - $1395 https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4

Radia PD-8CI Planar ceiling - $179 pair https://bgradiadesign.com/product/pd...speakers-pair/

Monolith 12 Dual subs - $1279.98 https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch...IKX0DER&sr=8-2

---------------------------------------------

$2854





Its hard to stay under $2500 going with dual 12" subs unless you find really good deals on speakers, used, or just lower MSRP priced speakers to begin with.

Thanks for all the information I’ll take a look. If I start off with a 5.1.2 then later get the 2nd sub that would work for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rochoa21 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,333
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochoa21 View Post
Im not set on SVS speakers,
That is a very good thing, if you want to get the best bang for your buck: SVS has stellar customer service but price to performance ratio is weak compared to other internet-direct companies. Emotiva and Chane would be my first recs for speakers, Hsu or Monolith for subs.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rochoa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
That is a very good thing, if you want to get the best bang for your buck: SVS has stellar customer service but price to performance ratio is weak compared to other internet-direct companies. Emotiva and Chane would be my first recs for speakers, Hsu or Monolith for subs.


Copy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rochoa21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off