Outdoor speakers for poolside? Powered, but wifi? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By smithsabom
  • 1 Post By pjp
  • 1 Post By smithsabom
  • 1 Post By pjp
  • 1 Post By smithsabom

post #1 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
c3k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Outdoor speakers for poolside? Powered, but wifi?

Folks,

I'm looking for some advice and recommendations. I'd like to add some music to my pool area. There are some outlets available, but no speaker wiring or amps nearby.

What products are available that could allow me to stream music (from Pandora) and have ~4 speakers play it?

Similarly, is there something that I could hook up to my AVRs speaker output and have it converted to wifi and stream it out to the pool? (I have a Denon X4100W. Zone 1 and 2 (amplified zones) are in use. My Zone 3 output (non-amplified) is not in use.)

Finally, what speaker recommendations do you have? The area is open, outdoors, about 30' x 60'. (And, "yes", I like bass. )

(My searching has me limited to either solar powered speakers (not interested in them), simple portable bluetooth sound bars/speakers, or fully wired systems.)

My budget is to keep all the speakers to less than $2,000. Preferably $1,200 or less. (Assuming 4 speakers.)

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
I wouldnt blow a bunch of money on outdoor wireless. if you can install decent system like couple bookshelves and sub under cover/safe from enviroment...you will have plenty of output/sound. i have friendswith wireless rocks...ad very expensiveoutdoor stuff...I say they have bs in their easy million dollar plus homes....ofc million dollars could be 1 bed apt's...but I am talking homes.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i would check out parts express and see what they have. i got a small amp thats bluetooth 2.1 channel and some speakers that work well.

DENON X6500H,
FRONTS SVS ULTRA CENTER,SVS ULTRA BOOKSHELF'S
SUBS SVS PB-3000'S X2
SURROUNDS YAMAHA NS-333 SIDE KLIPSCH QUINTET REAR
RAPTOR 700 FOR WHEN YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Offhand, I can't think of any weatherproof powered wifi speakers.

However, if you are willing to move the speakers back and forth from inside to outside, multiple Sonos Play5's could work, as long as they don't get splashed. They can be grouped to play the same content stream.

Can you run speaker wire, perhaps some direct burial type? If so, you could locate a Sonos Amp in a spot that is convenient to run wire from, and use 2 pair of outdoor speakers.

Because the Sonos Amp is small and cool-running (Class D), you might even be able to create a weather-proof enclosure for it and place it in the most convenient location to run speaker wire from.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If you can tuck them under an eve so they are not expose to the weather, these might work for you. https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...ir?color=Black

These have recently been discontinued so not sure how much longer they will be around. I paid $799 a few weeks back and I now see they are going for $899. Maybe you can work a deal for two pair.

I recently picked up pair to address a very similar application, although in my case they are used indoors, so I can not comment on weather resistance.

Spec's claim they play down to 40htz, and while I have not measured them, the low end is impressive for their size. The tweeters are magical sounding, but the one critique I have is they don't play all that loud. I'm sure whatever DSP they use to get down to 40htz is compromising headroom.

You can blue tooth directly to them any streaming source you like. Or you could potential add this https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html wireless transmitter and send a signal of any source from your AVR/PreAmp.

You can also synch up to two more pairs all playing the same signal.

Depending upon your distance and signal obstructions, more than one transmitter/receiver might be required, if you want that option. Otherwise you could just blue tooth or connect your phone via cable directly to the speakers.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #6 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 242
for set it and forget it simplicity - but not low cost - Sonos is hard to beat. you can get an weatherproof outdoor box from home depot that will fit a sonos connect: amp for about $35. pair that with some parts express/ outdoor speaker depot / monoprice outdoor speakers with at least a 5" woofer and you'll be good to go.

alternatively, parts express has the dayton audio hi fly system. they have a pre-amp/amp combo (20 wpc) that was the size of a deck of cards. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ontr--300-3821

as a follow up to your preference for bass...I have found outdoor subs to be VERY expensive. The "reasonable ones" don't seem to go that low as well.

take a look at the https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...green--310-154 as part of the solution. I run 4 speakers (wired) in my back yard zone. I have the 2 omni radiant speakers on the ground against a cinder block wall so I get some "room gain" for the base. it is surprising. The other 2 I have against the wall of the house. The net result is that we are between the 2 sets of speakers. It can easily get too loud to have a conversation as we sit around the fire pit.

good luck
pjp likes this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.

Last edited by smithsabom; 07-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
c3k

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for all the pointers!

Off to go do some internet browsing...

Ken
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 01:38 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I'm in the process of building an outdoor system. I'm using Polk Atrium 6's combined with this passive TIC in-ground subwoofer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I'm driving it with a 2.1 amp so that I can separately control the subwoofer, and the combination sounds amazing. I'm very impressed with the Polks and they are supposed to be super weatherproof from the company claims and user reviews.

That passive sub has a crossover built-in so you can also drive it with any stereo amp and it will send the lowest signals to the sub and the upper signals to the mains. This is much easier to do, but you don't have any control over the crossover. The built-in TIC sub crossover probably works well with TIC's main speakers (which they also sell but I don't think they are close to the Polks). I can't vouch for the TIC sub's built-in crossover works with the Polks because I haven't tested it.

For a sound source, I'm using a Chromecast Audio -- which for me is perfect because you can control everything from any smartphone or tablet. The good thing about Chromecast Audio, versus Bluetooth, is that the phone is just the "remote" with Chromecast, so the music will keep playing if you walk out of the room or leave the house with your phone. Chromecast Audio are no longer available from google, but still can be found on eBay.

There are no weatherproof outdoor amps that I can find (same with powered outdoor speakers), so I'm building my own amp with a 2.1 circuit board and 12 v power supply, but I haven't had had time to build the enclosure for the amp.
smithsabom likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I'm in the process of building an outdoor system. I'm using Polk Atrium 6's combined with this passive TIC in-ground subwoofer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I'm driving it with a 2.1 amp so that I can separately control the subwoofer, and the combination sounds amazing. I'm very impressed with the Polks and they are supposed to be super weatherproof from the company claims and user reviews.

That passive sub has a crossover built-in so you can also drive it with any stereo amp and it will send the lowest signals to the sub and the upper signals to the mains. This is much easier to do, but you don't have any control over the crossover. The built-in TIC sub crossover probably works well with TIC's main speakers (which they also sell but I don't think they are close to the Polks). I can't vouch for the TIC sub's built-in crossover works with the Polks because I haven't tested it.

For a sound source, I'm using a Chromecast Audio -- which for me is perfect because you can control everything from any smartphone or tablet. The good thing about Chromecast Audio, versus Bluetooth, is that the phone is just the "remote" with Chromecast, so the music will keep playing if you walk out of the room or leave the house with your phone. Chromecast Audio are no longer available from google, but still can be found on eBay.

There are no weatherproof outdoor amps that I can find (same with powered outdoor speakers), so I'm building my own amp with a 2.1 circuit board and 12 v power supply, but I haven't had had time to build the enclosure for the amp.
@pjp check out this box: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...-202206115-_-N
pjp likes this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.

Last edited by smithsabom; 07-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
A little different idea, that being the LG XBOOM RK7 party speaker. I use one of these out on my deck and it's a great all-in-one system. Great thing is you can wirelessly connect multiple speakers, so you could place them wherever you want outside, although they do have to be plugged in to an outlet. These have lighting effects, karaoke, FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth and can even be connected to a TV with optical. A couple of these out by the pool would make a great option and the lighting would add some flavor at night. They are easy to carry inside when not in use. The RK7 sells for $350, but does go on sale at Best Buy every so often for $200. I'm waiting for the next sale to pick up a second one.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12 (x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000 (x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 AMT bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
This is a great suggestion. I actually bought some African Padauk wood planks to build a really nice enclosure for the amp, but haven't had time to work on it. Given that this will go on the wall, I think your junction box suggestion would look cleaner than fancy wood, so I will probably do the junction box instead. I plan to have the knobs on the amp accessible to be able to tweak the sound on the fly, but questioning whether they will survive outside being exposed. I'd love to find a sealed box with a clear top that flips open to cover the amp knobs, but haven't found one.

For the OP, the pictures below provide a little more info for the TIC passive sub and a view to the amp:

Pic 1) 2.1 amp;
Pic 2) the weatherproof connectors on the TIC sub speaker wires;
Pic 3) the "test bench" (my wife loves me) (the TIC sub is the green round thing in the lower right);
Pic 4) The TIC passive subwoofer wires (I'm only using the subwoofer left/right input wires driven by the .1 channel on the amp, but the two additional left/right output wires are if you want to use the sub as crossover to mains) <- only downside is you don't have any controls over that internal crossover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	2590242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	2590244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	2590246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	2590248  
c3k likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
This is a great suggestion. I actually bought some African Padauk wood planks to build a really nice enclosure for the amp, but haven't had time to work on it. Given that this will go on the wall, I think your junction box suggestion would look cleaner than fancy wood, so I will probably do the junction box instead. I plan to have the knobs on the amp accessible to be able to tweak the sound on the fly, but questioning whether they will survive outside being exposed. I'd love to find a sealed box with a clear top that flips open to cover the amp knobs, but haven't found one.

For the OP, the pictures below provide a little more info for the TIC passive sub and a view to the amp:

Pic 1) 2.1 amp;
Pic 2) the weatherproof connectors on the TIC sub speaker wires;
Pic 3) the "test bench" (my wife loves me) (the TIC sub is the green round thing in the lower right);
Pic 4) The TIC passive subwoofer wires (I'm only using the subwoofer left/right input wires driven by the .1 channel on the amp, but the two additional left/right output wires are if you want to use the sub as crossover to mains) <- only downside is you don't have any controls over that internal crossover
@ PJP check out : https://www.amazon.com/Altelix-Fiber...s%2C237&sr=8-8

or directly to their website. many different sizes. altelix.com...
pjp likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
@ PJP check out : https://www.amazon.com/Altelix-Fiber...s%2C237&sr=8-8

or directly to their website. many different sizes. altelix.com...
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion -- that showed me what to search for on Amazon and just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-IPE...ct_top?ie=UTF8 --

I'm trying to make it as small as possible and this exact right size I need, reviews say it's awesome, good cable routing on bottom, and crazy inexpensive. Hopefully these types of boxes are of use to OP if he chooses to put electronics outdoor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers