Speaker Recommendations for Stereo System (Budget around 2k) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Speaker Recommendations for Stereo System (Budget around 2k)

Hello,

I've been looking into setting up a stereo system for a 14x16 bonus room above the garage. The room will also host a small office area. I plan to add a few room treatments to make the room less lively as well. I picked up a Yamaha R-N803 at a great price and plan to re-purpose a Node 2 as the main streaming option to the Yamaha. A few main points:

1) I don't plan to use the system with a TV, just music.
2) I have two SB-2000 subwoofers that I could re-purpose to help with lower frequencies, or move one to a room downstairs and keep just one for the stereo system.
3) I'm a digital streaming guy that plays music from a NAS or through Tidal with no plans for vinyl. Basically, the Yamaha and Node 2 are it.
4) My music taste varies, but I'm mostly an 80's rock fan, along with some metal (new & old). I also enjoy soundtracks and acoustic music as well.

Just a few speakers I've researched around or below 2k:

1) Paradigm Premier 700F & 800F.
2) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (no RAAL option).
3) Salk Song Tower

There are only a small amount of dealers in my area so speaker demos are not really an option (Paradigm). They don't carry inventory and lack a return policy, so ordering by internet is typically my main option. I've been a PSB guy in the past, but wanted to check out other brands.

Any recommendations are welcome, along with thoughts on the above three. I have some "wiggle room" in the budget (maximum is no more than $2.5k). Thanks!
Speaker Robert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,034
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Golden Ear T5 is $2000 MSRP.

I have a client trying to sell a pair to help fund an upgrade.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is offline  
post #3 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
Hello,

I've been looking into setting up a stereo system for a 14x16 bonus room above the garage. The room will also host a small office area. I plan to add a few room treatments to make the room less lively as well. I picked up a Yamaha R-N803 at a great price and plan to re-purpose a Node 2 as the main streaming option to the Yamaha. A few main points:

1) I don't plan to use the system with a TV, just music.
2) I have two SB-2000 subwoofers that I could re-purpose to help with lower frequencies, or move one to a room downstairs and keep just one for the stereo system.
3) I'm a digital streaming guy that plays music from a NAS or through Tidal with no plans for vinyl. Basically, the Yamaha and Node 2 are it.
4) My music taste varies, but I'm mostly an 80's rock fan, along with some metal (new & old). I also enjoy soundtracks and acoustic music as well.

Just a few speakers I've researched around or below 2k:

1) Paradigm Premier 700F & 800F.
2) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (no RAAL option).
3) Salk Song Tower

There are only a small amount of dealers in my area so speaker demos are not really an option (Paradigm). They don't carry inventory and lack a return policy, so ordering by internet is typically my main option. I've been a PSB guy in the past, but wanted to check out other brands.

Any recommendations are welcome, along with thoughts on the above three. I have some "wiggle room" in the budget (maximum is no more than $2.5k). Thanks!
between 2 and 3... tough choice. good problem to have... you'll probably need only the 1 sub, and that will be debatable with the towers you are looking at.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Speaker Recommendations for Stereo System (Budget around 2k)

Wait a week for the Sierra 2Ex to come out.

(Psst, they’re just as good, if not better than the towers w/ Raal)

At least to my ears

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #5 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Member
 
mr645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How about Vandersteen 1Ci or a used pair of model 2CE Signature II speakers
mr645 is offline  
post #6 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
between 2 and 3... tough choice. good problem to have... you'll probably need only the 1 sub, and that will be debatable with the towers you are looking at.
Yeah, I'm downsizing another setup to fund a basic stereo setup. I'll keep some items on hand to re-purpose. I'm in Indiana so Salk is somewhat close by. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Wait a week for the Sierra 2Ex to come out.

(Psst, they’re just as good, if not better than the towers w/ Raal)

At least to my ears
Thanks for the suggestion! I take it those are an updated bookshelf series from the Sierra 2? I do have a spare pair of Sanus 24" stands. I could go the bookshelf route, but I typically prefer the look of towers. The subwoofer could fill in the rest should I take the bookshelf route. I do like a "traditional" 2-way speaker setup though, mainly because my first pair of "real" speakers were DCM CX-17s back in the 90's. Great memories!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Golden Ear T5 is $2000 MSRP.

I have a client trying to sell a pair to help fund an upgrade.
I've heard a lot about Golden Ear but never actually heard their speakers before. Their dealers are a few hours away.

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 07-14-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Speaker Robert is offline  
post #7 of 65 Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
head_unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunny L.A.
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
so ordering by internet is typically my main option
yeah, that's a problem these days. For around $2k I simply LOVE these things
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893S30...0-Rosenut.html
I listened to them for several hours at https://www.upscaleaudio.com while a friend was buying Focal 936s (super great but double your budget). The Silver 300s sounded really well integrated and fabulous with the usual jazz and classical and then Steely Dan and such, but what most impressed me was playing Iron Maiden's entire Piece Of Mind and then big chunks of Motorhead's live No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith. The vast majority of speakers give up and turn into a nasty hash of distortion, but the Silver 300s just played really loud. Best I've ever heard those albums-I was shocked how good the Motorhead in particular sounded. No sub really needed though it could be an enhancement.* FYI they were driven by a 50 watt PrimaLuna $2k-ish integrated. Also available in white, gloss black, etc. I'm sure Crutchfield has some easy return policy, not sure about a restocking fee. Upscale was very cool, not sure about their return policy.
There are also these
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893S50...ut.html?tp=185
which should sound equally great, with more bass output in a somewhat wider cabinet. (The Silver 300s are about as slim as it gets, which my other friend was really attracted by).
ELAC Uni-Fi also has some nice models, but while I've heard them at trade shows I've never had a long personal audition. They have a power hungry reputation, which is how they get a lot of bass out of small cabinets.

*I'm quite that although your Yamaha has a subwoofer out, it stupidly has no highpass crossover to allow properly integrating a subwoofer. In other words, you can't relieve the main speakers and amp of the low frequencies. This is a common dumb problem with 2-channel equipment. So I might stretch for the Silver 500s and forget about the sub, depending what you listen to.

P.S. https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/wher...uy/?range=1612 seems to indicate no dealers by you (depending where in Indiana you are).
spyboy likes this.
head_unit is offline  
post #8 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
any consideration to something from Tekton's line? I don't have any direct experience with them (yet...), but suspect that with rock and metal that they might be better than some speakers geared more towards acoustic and vocals.. I've had a handful of decent speakers (Wisdom Audio line source and Anthony Gallo reference 3) that were absolutely amazing with classical and instrumental/vocal jazz but were disappointing with rock/metal
food for thought
drducky126 is offline  
post #9 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Check out the Revel M106. They are fantastic and fit your budget.
Rex Anderson likes this.

System: Cambridge 851A, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV
Cambridge amp for sale - post 950shipped
Locoliberty is offline  
post #10 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by drducky126 View Post
any consideration to something from Tekton's line? I don't have any direct experience with them (yet...), but suspect that with rock and metal that they might be better than some speakers geared more towards acoustic and vocals.. I've had a handful of decent speakers (Wisdom Audio line source and Anthony Gallo reference 3) that were absolutely amazing with classical and instrumental/vocal jazz but were disappointing with rock/metal
food for thought
I would recommend Tekton Lore $1k
or Tekton Enzo XL from this line $1700

I just got the Enzo XLs last week. For music, I think they will definitely surprise you on so many different fronts.

Do some research on Tekton, don't take my word for it.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #11 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,781
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8768 Post(s)
Liked: 5959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
Hello,

I've been looking into setting up a stereo system for a 14x16 bonus room above the garage. The room will also host a small office area. I plan to add a few room treatments to make the room less lively as well. I picked up a Yamaha R-N803 at a great price and plan to re-purpose a Node 2 as the main streaming option to the Yamaha. A few main points:

1) I don't plan to use the system with a TV, just music.
2) I have two SB-2000 subwoofers that I could re-purpose to help with lower frequencies, or move one to a room downstairs and keep just one for the stereo system.
3) I'm a digital streaming guy that plays music from a NAS or through Tidal with no plans for vinyl. Basically, the Yamaha and Node 2 are it.
4) My music taste varies, but I'm mostly an 80's rock fan, along with some metal (new & old). I also enjoy soundtracks and acoustic music as well.

Just a few speakers I've researched around or below 2k:

1) Paradigm Premier 700F & 800F.
2) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (no RAAL option).
3) Salk Song Tower

There are only a small amount of dealers in my area so speaker demos are not really an option (Paradigm). They don't carry inventory and lack a return policy, so ordering by internet is typically my main option. I've been a PSB guy in the past, but wanted to check out other brands.

Any recommendations are welcome, along with thoughts on the above three. I have some "wiggle room" in the budget (maximum is no more than $2.5k). Thanks!
Do you live near any of these folks?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands
d-rail34 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #12 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,548
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7051 Post(s)
Liked: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
2) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (no RAAL option).
I'd look at the Chane A5.4 and the Emotiva T2 instead.

Their planar tweeters will give you 90% of the performance of the RAAL tweeter for a fraction of the cost.

The T2 is an especially outstanding bargain right now at their closeout prices...the main drawback is their Batmobile styling, which people either love or hate.
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-t2
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #13 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Since you have a couple good subs to round out the low end, I’d go for some high end bookshelves. The Sierra-2 is an obvious choice, or the Philharmonic BMR from Salk Sound.

I’d also go see if you can listen to the Monitor Audio Gold 100 and B&W 705 S2.
BufordTJustice likes this.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #14 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 736
I've heard good things about PSA speakers being a good option for Rock & Metal listening.

I was considering them as an upgrade option prior to discovering DIY. Otherwise, I would go with the PSA's.



P.S. @Zorba922 , glad to see you back!
Zorba922 likes this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
d-rail34 is offline  
post #15 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
*I'm quite that although your Yamaha has a subwoofer out, it stupidly has no highpass crossover to allow properly integrating a subwoofer. In other words, you can't relieve the main speakers and amp of the low frequencies. This is a common dumb problem with 2-channel equipment. So I might stretch for the Silver 500s and forget about the sub, depending what you listen to.

P.S. https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/wher...uy/?range=1612 seems to indicate no dealers by you (depending where in Indiana you are).
Good info. I've done some research on it (no hands on experience yet with the amp). I double checked with Yamaha support and they mentioned (also checked with a few other forums) that it does have a variable crossover to relieve the main speakers from full range duty. I'll have to run YPAO and then through the app I can adjust the crossover frequency to my choosing (I've always preferred 80Hz, but that can vary based on speaker capabilities). I can also adjust speaker levels and distance as well. There is no direct connection on the receiver interface.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...ss-mgt.109121/

There is a dealer in my hometown about 4 miles away. I called them and they carry no stock of Monitor Audio. I think this is the current trend, at least in my area. One dealer that is still in business from my hometown (now a good drive away, but I bought many items from him over the years) mentioned that a number of clients don't even care to listen to what they may like the best....they simply say "Build me a home audio system for a certain amount of $." I know, audio nerds like me are not the majority.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Do you live near any of these folks?
I guess I live in the middle of nowhere....lol....NE Indiana. There would be a good amount of driving ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Since you have a couple good subs to round out the low end, I’d go for some high end bookshelves. The Sierra-2 is an obvious choice, or the Philharmonic BMR from Salk Sound.

I’d also go see if you can listen to the Monitor Audio Gold 100 and B&W 705 S2.
I've called Ascend today and the Sierra 2 speakers would likely be a great candidate. I'm not sure how they would handle rock or some other genres.....(I like classic rock, 80's, as well as metal....one genre I dabble in is symphonic metal like Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc).
Speaker Robert is offline  
post #16 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well you've received a lot of good suggestions. I'll add, try the Revel F36 floorstander. They punch way above their price range, very detailed, very neutral yet still fun to listen to. Very clear midrange. They cost $2k a pair, but they can usually be had for 10-20% less depending on the dealer.
sakete is online now  
post #17 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
I've called Ascend today and the Sierra 2 speakers would likely be a great candidate. I'm not sure how they would handle rock or some other genres.....(I like classic rock, 80's, as well as metal....one genre I dabble in is symphonic metal like Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc).

The Sierra 2’s sound fantastic.

(But the Sierra 2Ex’s sound even better, and they are coming out real soon, so please do yourself a favor and wait!)

Personally I don’t believe in a speaker that makes a certain genre “shine”. Meaning, a great speaker will sound great playing just about any content.

The Sierra 2 is one of those speakers.

There are also plenty of others though, that have already been mentioned in this thread.

I don’t know if I’d run a sub with the Sierra 2Ex. The bass is so strong with those. I mean, they had better bass IMO than the Sierra tower....
Soulburner, drh3b and mpk1970 like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #18 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The Sierra 2’s sound fantastic.

(But the Sierra 2Ex’s sound even better, and they are coming out real soon, so please do yourself a favor and wait!)

Personally I don’t believe in a speaker that makes a certain genre “shine”. Meaning, a great speaker will sound great playing just about any content.

The Sierra 2 is one of those speakers.

There are also plenty of others though, that have already been mentioned in this thread.

I don’t know if I’d run a sub with the Sierra 2Ex. The bass is so strong with those. I mean, they had better bass IMO than the Sierra tower....

sierra 2Ex?
are these an upgrade to the Sierra 2? pricing on those?
mariogonzalezzz is offline  
post #19 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
sierra 2Ex?
are these an upgrade to the Sierra 2? pricing on those?

Supposedly when these come out Dave will have a special on them (or something similar) where they will be the same price as the current Sierra 2, despite the newest Seas Woofer costing multiple times more than the current 6” Curv woofer used.

So $1498?

Not sure if that price will stick, seeing as it shouldn’t!

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #20 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 PM
The Village Idiot
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 9,347
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Do you live near any of these folks?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands

And wouldn't you know, not a one of them close to where I am! It must be nice to be able to buy speakers that you can audition first. I have to review speakers vicariously. If any of you are in the same boat as I, all I can say is read read read reviews. It has served me well. I've had my Salk speakers for 5 years, and have no regrets.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #21 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
The new Sierra 2 & the Sierra Towers, the Tektons, and the Revels mentioned above are all killer options under $2k.

I would add Ohm Walsh 2000 (Brooklyn) and Buchardt S400 (Denmark) to the "killer speakers under $2k" group.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 07-16-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Soulburner is offline  
post #22 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,045
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 934
There’s lots of great speakers available around $2-2.5K.

I think great speakers are great with all kinds of music not just certain genres. For me music is 60-70% of my entertainment and 90s alt-rock grunge, new alt-pop rock, jazz, blues, 80s new wave plus classic rock, pop/hip-hop, I mean really anything except country.

Your rooms almost square so you may want to follow the 8:5 ratio of speaker placement which works decently for squarish rooms. Figure 20-25” from side walls and 32-40” from the back wall (from the front of the speakers). That will give you a seated distance about 12-1/2 feet away (give or take). Nice places to startworking from.

From there I think medium towers or bookshelves would work well there.

So speakers I would prefer

Dali Opticon 6 or Opticon 2, maybe the Rubicon 2

Dynaudio Special 40, Excite X34 or X38 (on close out)

Monitor Audio Silver 100, 200, or 300, Gold 100

Focal 906

Salk and Ascend would probably make good speakers, never heard Ascend, have heard the Salk Song 3 & Exotica.

Good luck with your search.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
callas01 is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,866
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
some of these super transparent audiophile speakers will sound like crap for heavy metal and much rock music. I have always liked klipsch for that genre. I bet speakers like the ohm might sound real good also.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #24 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2550 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
According to Dr Floyd Toole, you shouldn't sweat not being able to demo speakers in person, as this is a very unreliable way to select the right speaker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nce-shows.html

Take a look at some of Revel's towers, up to the F206 which you might be able to get for close to the top end of your budget depending on dealer discount.

I agree towers are the way to go over bookshelves if you can fit them and prefer them. They will be more capable down to and below crossover. Bigger is better for bass. And if your going to put them on stands anyways, then towers make more sense imo.

Whatever you decide to go with, I personally wouldn't roll with any speaker that didn't have good measurements available as there are plenty that do, and the research is clear on what makes a good sounding speaker.
Rex Anderson likes this.
bear123 is offline  
post #25 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,866
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
the room is what determines the sound of the speaker you choose. its the biggest reason you need to consider when picking speakers. just cause a speaker is awesome in one room doesnt mean it will be awesome in others. finding speakers that are best for your room is the hardest part. you may find countless stories of people who buy speakers from a showroom and then comment how they sound nothing like that in their room. and anyone that likes a completely flat sound has let science ruin their brain/ears.
MUDCAT45 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #26 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,781
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8768 Post(s)
Liked: 5959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post


I guess I live in the middle of nowhere....lol....NE Indiana. There would be a good amount of driving ahead of me.



I've called Ascend today and the Sierra 2 speakers would likely be a great candidate. I'm not sure how they would handle rock or some other genres.....(I like classic rock, 80's, as well as metal....one genre I dabble in is symphonic metal like Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc).
Crutchfield is a great resource for you as they only charge $75/pair return shipping on towers withing 60 days.

I'd look at the towers in your budget and then see if you can find measurements on Soundstage or elsewhere to get an idea if they have any major flaws such as bloated bass, recessed mids, exaggerated treble etc. and then order TWO pairs for a shootout and return the loser.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2oGL2W...-Speakers.html

You might even want to bring home a pair of Klipsch RP speakers like the RP6000F for a three way shootout to see if the giant killer new Klipsch RP series are as good as measurements say they are.

If you lived near one of the boutique manufacturers I'd definitely suggest visiting them but as you can't and return shipping could run well north of $300 or more if there is a restocking fee I'd pass on that idea.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
the room is what determines the sound of the speaker you choose. its the biggest reason you need to consider when picking speakers. just cause a speaker is awesome in one room doesnt mean it will be awesome in others. finding speakers that are best for your room is the hardest part. you may find countless stories of people who buy speakers from a showroom and then comment how they sound nothing like that in their room. and anyone that likes a completely flat sound has let science ruin their brain/ears.
Well said, I agree. I'm not a fan of spending huge $$$ on chasing the audio dream and the 2k price point is sort of my cutoff....(some headroom for tax, shipping, etc). I grew up watching my dad buy more expensive equipment over time and he was never satisfied. He's had enough and is actually really happy with a simple Onkyo receiver and a pair of PSB Alpha bookshelves. He was never one to consider the room as one cause of his problems as he always liked placing his speakers tightly in a corner. I'll be investing in some room treatments for some of the main reflection areas and as much as my wife can stand. I may do the receiver shuffle and do the following:

Use the Anthem MRX 520 (I was going to move it downstairs) as my main stereo system. I auditioned the Paradigm Premier 800F speakers and they were awesome....definitely a big surprise. Pairing them up with my SVS subs and going 2.2 may be a good option. Setup two profiles in ARC (one with subs and one without, depending on the music style or my mood).
Speaker Robert is offline  
post #28 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
Well said, I agree. I'm not a fan of spending huge $$$ on chasing the audio dream and the 2k price point is sort of my cutoff....(some headroom for tax, shipping, etc). I grew up watching my dad buy more expensive equipment over time and he was never satisfied. He's had enough and is actually really happy with a simple Onkyo receiver and a pair of PSB Alpha bookshelves. He was never one to consider the room as one cause of his problems as he always liked placing his speakers tightly in a corner. I'll be investing in some room treatments for some of the main reflection areas and as much as my wife can stand. I may do the receiver shuffle and do the following:



Use the Anthem MRX 520 (I was going to move it downstairs) as my main stereo system. I auditioned the Paradigm Premier 800F speakers and they were awesome....definitely a big surprise. Pairing them up with my SVS subs and going 2.2 may be a good option. Setup two profiles in ARC (one with subs and one without, depending on the music style or my mood).
To me the mids in the 800F had a weird floaty quality to it, and changed noticeably if I moved my head a bit from side to side. Wonder if it's that grille thing they put over the midrange driver, causing some diffraction issues. Weird design choice to me either way.
sakete is online now  
post #29 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
The new Sierra 2 & the Sierra Towers, the Tektons, and the Revels mentioned above are all killer options under $2k. The Chanes and Emotivas are good but don't compete, nor do they try - they are a fraction of the price!



I would add Ohm Walsh 2000 (Brooklyn) and Buchardt S400 (Denmark) to the "killer speakers under $2k" group.


Didn't know you had a chance to hear the A5.4/5.5.

They would compete quite well with the others.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
BufordTJustice is offline  
post #30 of 65 Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Didn't know you had a chance to hear the A5.4/5.5.

They would compete quite well with the others.
I had mixed up this conversation with another, regarding the bookshelf variants. You can tell because I mentioned they are a fraction of the price, with bookshelf speakers in mind. I edited that part of my post.

However, as you and Jon have both reiterated many times, the lineup all has the same sound.
BufordTJustice likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off