Suggestions for small surrounds to compliment front Sony Core speakers (CS5 and CS8) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
syvmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Suggestions for small surrounds to compliment front Sony Core speakers (CS5 and CS8)

I'm setting up a small "theater" in my bedroom. I'll be using the Benq3550, looking at a Denon AVR-X1400H receiver and 5 channel surround probably without a subwoofer for the near future (2 kids under 2yo). I might also throw a set of speakers on the ceiling for Atmos 5.0.2.

I found a steal on the front 3 Sony Core speakers and am looking for suggestions for complimentary speakers of smaller size that could serve as surrounds.

I've always stuck with speakers of the same model series but this time I just don't have room for another set of CS5's.

Suggestions?
syvmn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 278
What are your size constraints? I am looking at Cambridge Audio Minx Min 22 to add as surrounds due to their small size. I am waiting to find a deal before I pull the trigger.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
zeuspaul is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Member
 
t0md0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
I'm setting up a small "theater" in my bedroom. I'll be using the Benq3550, looking at a Denon AVR-X1400H receiver and 5 channel surround probably without a subwoofer for the near future (2 kids under 2yo). I might also throw a set of speakers on the ceiling for Atmos 5.0.2.

I found a steal on the front 3 Sony Core speakers and am looking for suggestions for complimentary speakers of smaller size that could serve as surrounds.

I've always stuck with speakers of the same model series but this time I just don't have room for another set of CS5's.

Suggestions?

You might want to look into the JBL B15/Arena 120. Both are the same speaker FYI. I was recommended this from another member and found a set for around $100 at the time for the B15s. The have a shallow footprint. Great for mounting due to the brackets if that's your cup of tea. I've hooked them up as a stereo set up and tbh, they didn't sound bad with a sub. The Core's definitely sounded better, but being that these are being used for surrounds, it was perfectly fine.


I too have your same front sound stage with the CS5 and CS8. All 5 are paired with a JBL 550p sub and a Denon AVR-S740H receiver. Set up is used in my living room. So far, I'm loving it.
t0md0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,250
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Dayton MK402X
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-465

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0 View Post
You might want to look into the JBL B15/Arena 120. Both are the same speaker FYI. I was recommended this from another member and found a set for around $100 at the time for the B15s. The have a shallow footprint. Great for mounting due to the brackets if that's your cup of tea. I've hooked them up as a stereo set up and tbh, they didn't sound bad with a sub. The Core's definitely sounded better, but being that these are being used for surrounds, it was perfectly fine.
Those are $200/pair now and are still a good recommendation, but not as smoking as before.

A few intriguing surround options to search:

PSB Alpha P3
RSL Outsider II
Ascend HTM-200 SE

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 AM
Member
 
deafenears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can hold out, @Jon Lane 's been working on the A4.4/A4.5s.
deafenears is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
NHT SuperZero 2.1, $120/pair and sealed so you have more placement flexibility. Great detail and provide a surprisingly big sound stage.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
NHT SuperZero 2.1, $120/pair and sealed so you have more placement flexibility. Great detail and provide a surprisingly big sound stage.
I think those would be okay in a mild system, but too light on bass to mate up with a typical subwoofer crossover. The SuperOnes would be a better blend, but then they get quite a bit larger and too big for on-wall use IMO. Not a big deal if using stands, though. Still smaller than most bookshelves.

Both the SuperOne and the PSB P3 are around $200/pair.

For about the same price as the PSB's, I'd take the PSB's, due to the flatter response, better bass, and slimmer profile. From the measurements I've seen, the NHT will have a little bit of a recessed midrange, whereas the PSB will be flatter through the midrange. I think you want the better midrange for surround effects, especially.

NHT: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
PSB: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 07-16-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I think those would be okay in a mild system, but too light on bass to mate up with a typical subwoofer crossover. The SuperOnes would be a better blend, but then they get quite a bit larger and too big for on-wall use IMO. Not a big deal if using stands, though. Still smaller than most bookshelves.



Both the SuperOne and the PSB P3 are around $200/pair.



For about the same price as the PSB's, I'd take the PSB's, due to the flatter response, better bass, and slimmer profile. From the measurements I've seen, the NHT will have a little bit of a recessed midrange, whereas the PSB will be flatter through the midrange. I think you want the better midrange for surround effects, especially.



NHT: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

PSB: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

I think you’d be okay with some smaller speakers like the NHT SZ for surround duty, they are only playing ambient sound effects, but you’re right they aren’t good for much below 110Hz.

The P3 would certainly work well and the price and size is right, with a higher crossover you shouldn’t need as much space for the port.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 260
A4L has new Def Tech ProMonitor 400 3.5" Compact Bookshelf Speaker Black for 33/each...

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,877
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8809 Post(s)
Liked: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
I'm setting up a small "theater" in my bedroom. I'll be using the Benq3550, looking at a Denon AVR-X1400H receiver and 5 channel surround probably without a subwoofer for the near future (2 kids under 2yo). I might also throw a set of speakers on the ceiling for Atmos 5.0.2.

I found a steal on the front 3 Sony Core speakers and am looking for suggestions for complimentary speakers of smaller size that could serve as surrounds.

I've always stuck with speakers of the same model series but this time I just don't have room for another set of CS5's.

Suggestions?
Why not get a modest sub instead that is very low profile and the bottom firing woofer can't be easily accessed.

Can even be mounted against a wall if you wish.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35847

The Cores really need some bass support.

If you got the smaller version you could get some surround speakers too.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCNT0QAvD_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/restoc...ir--88-300-455

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off