• 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Soulburner

post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looking for Direction

Okay, since around 99' I've been going with klipsch speakers. I'm not locked in to that company but since I've been invested in them any new speakers I get are Klipsch. Recently, I lost my father. He's the one that started me into the audio equipment hobby, so as a little tribute, I guess, I set-up a third (stereo only) system in my dinning room. Kind of like he had, when I was growing up. The components are a Technics SA-700 receiver from 78 and a Technics sl-d2 turntable. I have them connected to a couple of Klipsch RF-52 speakers. I figure this is good point to try and see what else is out there. So I am looking to get some new bookshelf speakers (possibly towers) to connect to this system. I just don't have any ideas where to start. I'm hoping someone could throw out some suggestions. My budget is 500.00 dollars.

Thanks for the help.

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7143 Post(s)
Liked: 5451
What genres of music do you most often listen to?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Emotiva T1
Polk S55
Ascend CMT-340
Chane A2.4

Your ears have been trained by the Klipsch sound for many years, so it will be an adjustment for you to get used to a different sound signature. That means you will need to spend some time with lots of other speakers, to get a feel for what is available and what you enjoy, while not being Klipsch.
Zorba922 and Lp85253 like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-15-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
I would actually look at the Klipsch RP-600M, the company's latest, if that is the style of sound you prefer. Lively, tipped up in the treble, but smoother than past iterations according to reviews.

I agree with the above that other speakers are going to sound very different and you will need time to adjust. But that's not a bad thing - that's how we learn what we like.

If you want a neutral speaker for under $500, look at the Ascend CMT-340 SE.
smithsabom likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9078 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxker View Post
Okay, since around 99' I've been going with klipsch speakers. I'm not locked in to that company but since I've been invested in them any new speakers I get are Klipsch. Recently, I lost my father. He's the one that started me into the audio equipment hobby, so as a little tribute, I guess, I set-up a third (stereo only) system in my dinning room. Kind of like he had, when I was growing up. The components are a Technics SA-700 receiver from 78 and a Technics sl-d2 turntable. I have them connected to a couple of Klipsch RF-52 speakers. I figure this is good point to try and see what else is out there. So I am looking to get some new bookshelf speakers (possibly towers) to connect to this system. I just don't have any ideas where to start. I'm hoping someone could throw out some suggestions. My budget is 500.00 dollars.

Thanks for the help.
Are you ever in Chicago?

Music Direct and Saturday Audio are there.

But if not and you want towers order a pair of any one of these after looking at reviews etc.

Only $75/pair flat return shipping within 60 days if not happy.

This new JBL line has received very good reviews as have the Polk Signature and RTiA series.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mufJHy...BoCdSQQAvD_BwE

These are available in 2 different finishes:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIG...ut.html?tp=185

These are available in 3 different finishes:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTI...ry.html?tp=185

Big brother to the first speaker.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109SA1...80.html?tp=185

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
What genres of music do you most often listen to?
I listen to bunch of stuff. All types of Jazz, Including fusion-Progressive what ever you want to call it. A lot of orchestral music, especially movie soundtracks. I've been listening to a lot Borodin lately. a lot of classic rock or that style. I love the Black crows. I also listen to a lot of Prince. My parents loved Motown, so I listen to a lot of that. I guess my absolute musts includes: Chick corea (and all his bands), Norah Jones, Seal, the black crows, prince, and movie soundtracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I would actually look at the Klipsch RP-600M, the company's latest, if that is the style of sound you prefer. Lively, tipped up in the treble, but smoother than past iterations according to reviews.
I currently have the RP-160, previous to the 600 I think, how different are the two models. I don't have a bright sound, but I do like it when I hear the complete delicate sound of symbols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Are you ever in Chicago?

Music Direct and Saturday Audio are there.

But if not and you want towers order a pair of any one of these after looking at reviews etc.

Only $75/pair flat return shipping within 60 days if not happy.

This new JBL line has received very good reviews as have the Polk Signature and RTiA series.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mufJHy...BoCdSQQAvD_BwE

These are available in 2 different finishes:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIG...ut.html?tp=185

These are available in 3 different finishes:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTI...ry.html?tp=185

Big brother to the first speaker.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109SA1...80.html?tp=185
I've never been to Chicago, even though I'm only about 2 and a 1/2 hours away. I'm not sure of what you're saying, what's only 75 dollars a pair?

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9078 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
I listen to bunch of stuff. All types of Jazz, Including fusion-Progressive what ever you want to call it. A lot of orchestral music, especially movie soundtracks. I've been listening to a lot Borodin lately. a lot of classic rock or that style. I love the Black crows. I also listen to a lot of Prince. My parents loved Motown, so I listen to a lot of that. I guess my absolute musts includes: Chick corea (and all his bands), Norah Jones, Seal, the black crows, prince, and movie soundtracks.

I currently have the RP-160, previous to the 600 I think, how different are the two models. I don't have a bright sound, but I do like it when I hear the complete delicate sound of symbols.

I've never been to Chicago, even though I'm only about 2 and a 1/2 hours away. I'm not sure of what you're saying, what's only 75 dollars a pair?
If you are "set" on towers Crutchfield only charges $75/pair return shipping...for bookshelves just $10/box within 60 days.

What don't you like about the RP160s that want you to make a change?

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If you are "set" on towers Crutchfield only charges $75/pair return shipping...for bookshelves just $10/box within 60 days.

What don't you like about the RP160s that want you to make a change?
I like them a lot, I have them as my mains in my dedicated theater. Although, I'm struggling with whether if I should use them as my mains or go with my RF-82s which I have my mains in my living room. I'm not looking to make a change from Klipsch, but I do wonder what else is out there. I figure this third system is a chance find out. It won't see major use, just an old classic system from the 70's that my late father had.

Back on the Klipsch. I have been hearing a lot about the RP-600. I don't how different it is from the RP-160. It seems pretty similar. Almost identical dimensions. Both have 6'1/2 inch woofers. The horns almost seems the same. So I don't know.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
Quote:
Back on the Klipsch. I have been hearing a lot about the RP-600. I don't how different it is from the RP-160. It seems pretty similar. Almost identical dimensions. Both have 6'1/2 inch woofers. The horns almost seems the same. So I don't know.
That is a good Technics receiver that you have

You should find the RP600 to be overall more smooth compared to the RP160 ... but it can be also good to try something different

if you are willing to take a risk, as returns are not as friendly as some of the bigger companies, then the Canton Chrono is hands down my preference .... new in the box at a real good discount price
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

While I still favor the Canton -- the Focal is pretty good ... Focal 706
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...sh-pair/1.html

Not as good as the Chrono speakers or Focal, but HTD has free returns for first time buyers ... HTD Level Three
https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Book...hoCbHgQAvD_BwE

For ID companies, look at Chane and Ascend ..... Emotiva may be somewhat challenging, if your Technics cannot do 4 ohms nominal

For towers $500 and under to work with the Technics, you will have to look at the likes of the Polk S series or maybe Elac Debut 2 series .... and/or your local Craiglist area

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
That is a good Technics receiver that you have

You should find the RP600 to be overall more smooth compared to the RP160 ... but it can be also good to try something different

if you are willing to take a risk, as returns are not as friendly as some of the bigger companies, then the Canton Chrono is hands down my preference .... new in the box at a real good discount price
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

While I still favor the Canton -- the Focal is pretty good ... Focal 706
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...sh-pair/1.html

Not as good as the Chrono speakers or Focal, but HTD has free returns for first time buyers ... HTD Level Three
https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Book...hoCbHgQAvD_BwE
Curious - how does the sound of the Canton Chrono and Focal speakers differ from HTD Level Three? Have you heard them?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Curious - how does the sound of the Canton Chrono and Focal speakers differ from HTD Level Three? Have you heard them?
I have owned the Canton GLS2 (Chrono), the Focal 705 (Chorus), and the HTD Level Three -- the Chrono sound signature had better detail, definition, imaging, and depth over the other two speakers. Voices and instruments were better on the Chrono over the other two. But the HTD did have a wider soundstage over both. ... With all that said, the HTD Level Three still is an overall nice speaker that will beat a lot of speakers out there, and has a well built cabinet and finish, and their customer service is top rate.

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I have owned the Canton GLS2 (Chrono), the Focal 705 (Chorus), and the HTD Level Three -- the Chrono sound signature had better detail, definition, imaging, and depth over the other two speakers. Voices and instruments were better on the Chrono over the other two. But the HTD did have a wider soundstage over both. ... With all that said, the HTD Level Three still is an overall nice speaker that will beat a lot of speakers out there, and has a well built cabinet and finish, and their customer service is top rate.
Thanks. And owned as in...past? You moved on from the Cantons?

post #13 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks. And owned as in...past? You moved on from the Cantons?
Just call it a journey -- but I hope to go back to them, looking at the Vento, or go with the upgraded Chrono.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page