Monolith 12" vs Klipsch 15" subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red face Monolith 12" vs Klipsch 15" subwoofer

Hello guys,

I will get my equipment in the next days, for all you that have experience with this brands and products.

What gives better results the Monolith 12" which peak power is 900... or the Klipsch 15" which peak power is 800...

Im looking to get really deep low that shakes the house... at first i am going to get 1 sub... and in 6 months ill get my second one. they both cost almos the same price...

Also, i see the monolith has more controls and connections available... is this better than the klipsch regarding the technology? which one is better regarding quality, im worried also about heat etc.

PLEASE ADVICE

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8794 Post(s)
Liked: 5972
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Hello guys,

I will get my equipment in the next days, for all you that have experience with this brands and products.

What gives better results the Monolith 12" which peak power is 900... or the Klipsch 15" which peak power is 800...

Im looking to get really deep low that shakes the house... at first i am going to get 1 sub... and in 6 months ill get my second one. they both cost almos the same price...

Also, i see the monolith has more controls and connections available... is this better than the klipsch regarding the technology? which one is better regarding quality, im worried also about heat etc.

PLEASE ADVICE

Cheers!
Unlike the Klipsch, Monolith THX owners on AVS have not reported amp failures just after the warranty period expires.
Lp85253, spyboy and BufordTJustice like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Unlike the Klipsch, Monolith THX owners on AVS have not reported amp failures just after the warranty period expires.

In other words Monolith is more reliable than Klipsch.

So, a 12" Monlith will sound better, and have more deep base than a 15" Klipsch?
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
In other words Monolith is more reliable than Klipsch.

So, a 12" Monlith will sound better, and have more deep base than a 15" Klipsch?
The Klipsch is a capable sub, you just might have to replace the amp sooner then you might expect.

Yes, comparing the test results of the Klipsch in the link vs the "claimed" numbers provided by Monoprice indicates the Monoprice will keep up if not beat the Klipsch.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoCd7YQAvD_BwE

https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsc...viewed/?page=2
BufordTJustice likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Klipsch is a capable sub, you just might have to replace the amp sooner then you might expect.

Yes, comparing the test results of the Klipsch in the link vs the "claimed" numbers provided by Monoprice indicates the Monoprice will keep up if not beat the Klipsch.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoCd7YQAvD_BwE

https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsc...viewed/?page=2
Wow, so Klipsch really do faiils... thats too bad to hear, hopefully the Monolith dont fail as soon also then. As for the power it looks really close. I only feels from my readings that the 3 inches extras in the cone of the Klipsch would help to the bass, either way is hard to read that Klipsch amps fail.

Thanks for your input (beer)
post #6 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:
Hello guys,

PLEASE ADVICE

Cheers!
I have the Monolith 15. It has such a very clean, tight sound and has given me no overheating issues whatsoever over the months I've had it.
post #7 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I was one of those who had amp failure in one of my dual Klipsch 15 inch subs. I emailed them a receipt of purchase, and in 3 days I had my new amp with instructions on how to replace it. It literally took less than 15 minutes - just unscrew the plate, unplug the amp, plug in the new one, and screw it back into the box. Also, be aware that Klipsch is replacing the defective amps with a newly designed one, not the same amp. As for which to choose, flip a coin, both will shake the room.
Lp85253, iceatola and nonametofame like this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #8 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
I was one of those who had amp failure in one of my dual Klipsch 15 inch subs. I emailed them a receipt of purchase, and in 3 days I had my new amp with instructions on how to replace it. It literally took less than 15 minutes - just unscrew the plate, unplug the amp, plug in the new one, and screw it back into the box. Also, be aware that Klipsch is replacing the defective amps with a newly designed one, not the same amp. As for which to choose, flip a coin, both will shake the room.
The Klipsch is not a bad sub.

Hopefully the running modification is a long term fix.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
Quote:
Hello guys,

PLEASE ADVICE

Cheers!
They're probably fairly close in overall output but the Monolith has far less distortion and can be run in 3 different modes and has higher quality components. I'd go for the Monolith.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I have the Monolith 15. It has such a very clean, tight sound and has given me no overheating issues whatsoever over the months I've had it.
good to hear thanks for your input, i have heard bad things about klipsch but no stories about monolith until now (beer)
post #11 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Will read about the warranty period, but is good to hear they send the parts really quick. (beer)
post #12 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
They're probably fairly close in overall output but the Monolith has far less distortion and can be run in 3 different modes and has higher quality components. I'd go for the Monolith.
All the controls behind the sub looks more complex than the Klipsh one, which makes it by default more pro i would think... tha fact that you can use it sealed or ported is good, im sure you can do it also with the klipsch one... It looks is about the money then... today the Monolith 12" is at $639 meanwhile the Klipsch 15" is at $697... the monolith tho, pushes more power than the klipsch even with the klipsch being bigger in cone size... so probably getting a 12" monolith could be best, even getting 2 is better than getting 1 of 15" of monolith. (15 monolith is $1300 and power... 1000 what., so wondering if 1 of those will beat 2 of the 12")

Last edited by julitro; 07-16-2019 at 09:14 PM.
post #13 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
2 monoliths of 12" or one of 15" ? is weird the 15" is expensier than 2 12" .... why that would be?
post #14 of 42 Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Could anybody help me understand, how the Klipsch and Monolith separate from this: "JBL PRX818XLFW Portable 18 (1500 whatts... $.949)" ... i prefer to ask than keep being ignorant....

Thanks.
post #15 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Could anybody help me understand, how the Klipsch and Monolith separate from this: "JBL PRX818XLFW Portable 18 (1500 whatts... $.949)" ... i prefer to ask than keep being ignorant....

Thanks.
That is a pro audio sub designed for stage use, VERY high sound pressure levels but not deep bass extension as it only goes down to 35hz, not 20hz which is what you want for movies.

I'd get two 12" Monoliths over a single 15" for better spread of bass over a wider seating area, similar bass response and louder volume potential as adding a second subwoofer gives you +4 to +6db more headroom.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is a pro audio sub designed for stage use, VERY high sound pressure levels but not deep bass extension as it only goes down to 35hz, not 20hz which is what you want for movies.

I'd get two 12" Monoliths over a single 15" for better spread of bass over a wider seating area, similar bass response and louder volume potential as adding a second subwoofer gives you +4 to +6db more headroom.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs
Wow that is very interesting reading thanks for sharing... i will deffinitely will tell the wife is for her own good

Thanks, so the pro one will be louder but not deeper.

As for the two subs... that was my idea that two were better than one, what im looking to get is my house to shake, so if we take the monolit... here is the thing:

1 monolith 12" = 900 watts peak (2 will make a total of 1800 whats peak)
1 monolith 15" = 1800 what peak

In the 2 subs option, the shake power can be distributed in two spots, lets say left and right.

In the 1 big sub, all is in one place

The question then is, which of the two options will cause the shake effect to be stronger?

Thanks again!
post #17 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wow that is very interesting reading thanks for sharing... i will deffinitely will tell the wife is for her own good

As for the two subs... that was my idea that two were better than one, what im looking to get is my house to shake, so if we take the monolit... here is the thing:

In the 2 subs option, the shake power can be distributed in two spots, lets say left and right.

The question then is, which of the two options will cause the shake effect to be stronger?

Thanks again!
post #18 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
I have had TWO Klipsch subs failing within a year of the warranty My synergy 10 inch made it about one month past the warranty and my Rw12d made it 11 months pasted the warranty. I cannot comment on the current Klipsch subs, but both of these were crappy sub when they worked, compared to my Emptek 10i10i, my SVS SB1000 or my Outlaw LFM-1+
Edit...and btw, when I called Klipsch, they offered to sell me new amps for each...but I decided to move on!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver

Last edited by Elihawk; 07-17-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #19 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
good to hear thanks for your input, i have heard bad things about klipsch but no stories about monolith until now (beer)
More than a few stories out there of folks who have had problems with the Monoliths and have had issues with service. I'm not saying the Monoliths are bad subs by any means, as they are great, but Monoprice customer service is my biggest concern with those and it's documented that folks have had issues. To me it's a 'pick your poison' situation - better-performing Monolith sub with spotty service, or failed amps in the lesser-performing Klipsch subs with proven support.

Personally, at that price point I'd avoid them both and look at a Hsu VTF2.
post #20 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
More than a few stories out there of folks who have had problems with the Monoliths and have had issues with service. I'm not saying the Monoliths are bad subs by any means, as they are great, but Monoprice customer service is my biggest concern with those and it's documented that folks have had issues. To me it's a 'pick your poison' situation - better-performing Monolith sub with spotty service, or failed amps in the lesser-performing Klipsch subs with proven support.

Personally, at that price point I'd avoid them both and look at a Hsu VTF2.
Thats what i thought, bad stories for all brands for sure.

Knowing Klipsch have a better customer service makes me want to go with klipsch. Tho i was almost convinced with the monolith ones... and now you throw this new ones omg, will never buy anything, good for the wife thinking lol. But seriously, i own a 2.1 klipsch speakers... have never failed to me in any way, they sound really good and the sub is really nice for a small 2.1... and this is why my first thought was Kiipsch, but im one is always open to suggestions by people with experience, so ill investigate the VTF-2 mk5 Subwoofer.... couldn't find it in amazon, how their customer service is? do you use this brand? thanks again for your share of wisdom!
post #21 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
Quote:

Knowing Klipsch have a better customer service makes me want to go with klipsch. Tho i was almost convinced with the monolith ones... and now you throw this new ones omg, will never buy anything, good for the wife thinking lol. But seriously, i own a 2.1 klipsch speakers... have never failed to me in any way, they sound really good and the sub is really nice for a small 2.1... and this is why my first thought was Kiipsch, but im one is always open to suggestions by people with experience, so ill investigate the VTF-2 mk5 Subwoofer.... couldn't find it in amazon, how their customer service is? do you use this brand? thanks again for your share of wisdom!
If you're concerned with CS then maybe go with SVS or PSA.
SuperFist likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #22 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hsu only sells direct (www.hsuresearch.com) but they are active here on the forum, if only in the Hsu owner's thread, and exhibit fantastic service. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one and, frankly, the Hsu VTF2 outclasses the Klipsch in pretty much every way.

SVS and Powersound Audio (PSA) were also mentioned and are also examples of companies with stellar service. I personally feel that while SVS makes good stuff they offer the least subwoofer bang-for-your-buck of the brands mentioned but no question that their subs are solid.
post #23 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're concerned with CS then maybe go with SVS or PSA.
Im checking all man, cause this is a heavy purchase
post #24 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hsu only sells direct (www.hsuresearch.com) but they are active here on the forum, if only in the Hsu owner's thread, and exhibit fantastic service. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one and, frankly, the Hsu VTF2 outclasses the Klipsch in pretty much every way.

SVS and Powersound Audio (PSA) were also mentioned and are also examples of companies with stellar service. I personally feel that while SVS makes good stuff they offer the least subwoofer bang-for-your-buck of the brands mentioned but no question that their subs are solid.

Checking their website already... what this means "2000 W Short Term, 600 W Continuous"?

Also from the Klipsch, i cant find how low the Hz goes? anyone knows? they dont even have it in their website or manual.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Checking their website already... what this means "2000 W Short Term, 600 W Continuous"?

Also from the Klipsch, i cant find how low the Hz goes? anyone knows? they dont even have it in their website or manual.
Power is a secondary or tertiary factor here and that's really some marketing speak that means the amp is capable of outputting up to a burst of 2000 watts if needed, but it's likely high distortion and really only nets an extra couple of decibels vs output at 600W that would already be stupid-loud. Frankly, your woofer motor itself would likely give up well before you ever required that kind of power.

You've right on that the more important specs are things like frequency extension, and if it's the Klipsch R115SW you're looking at Klipsch says it goes down to 18 Hz but doesn't say if that's -3 db, -6 db, etc. It's a pretty decent sub but I'd take a VTF2 or VTF3 every day of the week for that money.
post #26 of 42 Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Power is a secondary or tertiary factor here and that's really some marketing speak that means the amp is capable of outputting up to a burst of 2000 watts if needed, but it's likely high distortion and really only nets an extra couple of decibels vs output at 600W that would already be stupid-loud. Frankly, your woofer motor itself would likely give up well before you ever required that kind of power.

You've right on that the more important specs are things like frequency extension, and if it's the Klipsch R115SW you're looking at Klipsch says it goes down to 18 Hz but doesn't say if that's -3 db, -6 db, etc. It's a pretty decent sub but I'd take a VTF2 or VTF3 every day of the week for that money.
Got it will keep reading regarding the VTF's, according to a store seller the klipsch is FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 18Hz-125Hz +/-3dB so with that said the investigation stills in progress

Thanks for your input very helpfull.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Having owned (and currently own) SVS subs in a different setup, I had never planned to get a Klipsch sub until the good reviews and Frys closeout prices on the RW-115 for $300 a few years back. Who can get a well performing 15 inch sub, let alone Klipsch, for $300, right? Anyway, it performed so well that I got a second one delivered to my house, but it got rain soaked after delivery on my porch when it should have been signed for. Long story short, I was refunded and told to just keep it. Dual 15 inch Klipsch subs for $300. However, even though my Klipsch subs have exceeded my expectations, if I had to spring for subs again out of pocket, i'd probably go dual HSU 15s on sale.
doni01 and SuperFist like this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #28 of 42 Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Dual 15 inch Klipsch subs for $300.
^^ Holy crap talking about a deal
post #29 of 42 Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!
Monolith provides number for each sub's maximum volume potential at different frequency points and, obviously, a single 15" plays louder than a single 12" but dual 12" play louder at every frequency point than a single 15".

Perhaps start a new thread in the subwoofer section so they bassheads can chime in and tell you why you actually "need" four 18" subs!

The sale price on the 12" Monoprice THX makes it a very tempting offer at the moment, no question.

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 42 Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Having owned (and currently own) SVS subs in a different setup, I had never planned to get a Klipsch sub until the good reviews and Frys closeout prices on the RW-115 for $300 a few years back. Who can get a well performing 15 inch sub, let alone Klipsch, for $300, right? Anyway, it performed so well that I got a second one delivered to my house, but it got rain soaked after delivery on my porch when it should have been signed for. Long story short, I was refunded and told to just keep it. Dual 15 inch Klipsch subs for $300. However, even though my Klipsch subs have exceeded my expectations, if I had to spring for subs again out of pocket, i'd probably go dual HSU 15s on sale.
Wow that is a deal man! i wish i could find at least one of them for that price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch , monolith , subwoofer , subwoofer advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page