Recommend B&W In-Ceiling for Atmos? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Recommend B&W In-Ceiling for Atmos?

Looking for advice on completing my full B&W setup. I'm planning to purchase some in-ceiling speakers, and I'd like to find something that compliments what I have, but will also work quite well for Atmos (for example, having tweeters that can be directed toward the main listening position).

My current speaker setup is in my signature, but I'll list his here for convenience:
  • Front: B&W DM 603 S3 (x2)
  • Center: B&W LCR600 S3
  • Side Surround: B&W DS3 (x2)
  • Rear Surround: B&W 686 S2 (x2)
  • Sub: Hsu VTF-3 MK5

When I started looking for in-ceiling speakers, I realized there are a LOT of variations, and I'm having a hard time even teasing out the differences, much less which ones would pair well with my existing system. These are the ones I'm looking at, in no particular order:
  • CCM663
  • CCM664
  • CCM664SR <= Does dual channel even matter in surround heights?
  • CCM665
  • CCM684

Admittedly, I really don't want to spend $700 for one pair. Again, I have no idea what the difference between these is. Anyone with experience with any of these?

Also, I was found this thread which was asking for comparison between CCM663 and CCM664, and I saw someone recommended RSL C34E. I also share the concern of timbre matching, but perhaps that isn't as big of a deal for Atmos speakers?

----------
LG OLED65C7P, LG EG9100, (Retired: Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK)
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
DM 603 S3 (x2), LCR600 S3, DS3 (x2), 686 S2 (x2), Hsu VTF-3 MK5
Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, DTV 4K

Last edited by thephatp; 07-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatp View Post
Looking for advice on completing my full B&W setup. I'm planning to purchase some in-ceiling speakers, and I'd like to find something that compliments what I have, but will also work quite well for Atmos (for example, having tweeters that can be directed toward the main listening position).

My current speaker setup is in my signature, but I'll list his here for convenience:
  • Front: B&W DM 603 S3 (x2)
  • Center: B&W LCR600 S3
  • Side Surround: B&W DS3 (x2)
  • Rear Surround: B&W 686 S2 (x2)
  • Sub: Hsu VTF-3 MK5

When I started looking for in-ceiling speakers, I realized there are a LOT of variations, and I'm having a hard time even teasing out the differences, much less which ones would pair well with my existing system. These are the ones I'm looking at, in no particular order:
  • CCM663
  • CCM664
  • CCM664SR
  • CCM665
  • CCM684

Admittedly, I really don't want to spend $700 for one pair. Again, I have no idea what the difference between these is. Anyone with experience with any of these?

Also, I was found this thread which was asking for comparison between CCM663 and CCM664, and I saw someone recommended RSL C34E. I also share the concern of timbre matching, but perhaps that isn't as big of a deal for Atmos speakers?
I am going through the same scenario/struggle but I have made a purchase, I went with the B&W CCM683. I too did not want to spend that much on a pair of in ceilings and most likely I will be buying another pair so I can do a 5.1.4 Atmos setup so the cost doubles. I have not opened the box yet but it's time to cut the holes.

I went to Best Buy and demoed some in ceiling speakers, I tried the ccm 6 series vs. the ccm 8 series and the ccm 8 series sounded so much better/fuller buy allot! I decided I have no problem spending the money if it is the right purchase, my question still is... will Atmos take advantage of expensive speakers or do I just need speakers for sound effects like rain, birds chirping, noises from above?

That is where I'm struggling with spending the money. I look forward to hearing those who have Atmos running and their recommendations!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8809 Post(s)
Liked: 5990
Quote:
One AVS member commented on replacing his 4 "decent" Polk in ceilings with the much better RSLs and commented that in his opinion while the RSLs were "better" it was very hard to tell due to the "effects" nature of the sounds coming out of the Atmos speakers.

He did not feel "timbre matching" was a necessary goal for the 4 Atmos in ceilings and that it wold be near impossible to achieve with brand matched speakers anyway comparing floor models to in ceilings.

For my 5.1 setup with an Usher front three and a B&W back two I'd likely go RSL if I eventually make the jump to Atmos.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
...my question still is... will Atmos take advantage of expensive speakers or do I just need speakers for sound effects like rain, birds chirping, noises from above?

That is where I'm struggling with spending the money.
Yeah, same question here. Not only do I not fully know the difference in the speakers I listed, but I also wonder how noticeable those difference would practically be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
One AVS member commented on replacing his 4 "decent" Polk in ceilings with the much better RSLs and commented that in his opinion while the RSLs were "better" it was very hard to tell due to the "effects" nature of the sounds coming out of the Atmos speakers.

He did not feel "timbre matching" was a necessary goal for the 4 Atmos in ceilings and that it wold be near impossible to achieve with brand matched speakers anyway comparing floor models to in ceilings.

For my 5.1 setup with an Usher front three and a B&W back two I'd likely go RSL if I eventually make the jump to Atmos.
I wish there were more options for demoing the B&W line. I've had a hard time finding places with setups that include them. ABT used to have only one version hooked up (a really expensive model), though they could order the others. As for the RSL speakers, I'm struggling with the idea of buying a speaker that I haven't demoed which also requires a larger whole in the ceiling than the others I'm looking at.

----------
LG OLED65C7P, LG EG9100, (Retired: Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK)
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
DM 603 S3 (x2), LCR600 S3, DS3 (x2), 686 S2 (x2), Hsu VTF-3 MK5
Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, DTV 4K
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8809 Post(s)
Liked: 5990
Quote:

I wish there were more options for demoing the B&W line. I've had a hard time finding places with setups that include them. ABT used to have only one version hooked up (a really expensive model), though they could order the others. As for the RSL speakers, I'm struggling with the idea of buying a speaker that I haven't demoed which also requires a larger whole in the ceiling than the others I'm looking at.
Maybe built an MDF "demo box" for $50 or so?

RSL has free return shipping.

Maybe they have an idea on how to build a simple test box.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
When I built my house in 2001, moved in Feb 2002, I installed B&W ceiling speakers throughout the house and I think I will repurpose two sets of them to Atmos. They sound great and are 6" speakers so I'm sure I will get more out of my new CCM683s if I use them for music in two of my main locations like the Bar Area and Master Bath. Hopefully a win/win...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page