One way vs Two way Klipsch THX question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 143
One way vs Two way Klipsch THX question

I have an A/V place that is trying to sell me the 8000-L for $1,200. They are also doing a bunch of other work. Since I can obviously get these cheaper, I"m going to buy these myself. I'm getting five of these for L,C,R.SR,SL - My Question - Is this 8000-S better for surrounds? I'm a little ignorant on the 2 way difference?

If it was your HT, would you just get 5 x 8000-L or three 8000-L and two 8000-S ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post

I have an A/V place that is trying to sell me the 8000-L for $1,200. They are also doing a bunch of other work. Since I can obviously get these cheaper, I"m going to buy these myself. I'm getting five of these for L,C,R.SR,SL - My Question - Is this 8000-S better for surrounds? I'm a little ignorant on the 2 way difference?

If it was your HT, would you just get 5 x 8000-L or three 8000-L and two 8000-S ???
The "S" is for surround. They have two horns firing in opposite direction for a wider sound effect. Up to you which you would prefer. Some of it will depend on your placement options and seating location relative to the speakers.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The "S" is for surround. They have two horns firing in opposite direction for a wider sound effect. Up to you which you would prefer. Some of it will depend on your placement options and seating location relative to the speakers.

Ok that's great to know! My theater looks like this, it's pretty small. So maybe I don't need dispersion. I don't really know. I have pulled the four theater seats up to about 2/3 of room from screen. I did this because it's stupid to have seating area right on back wall, it gave me room to throw in three F18 subs behind seats, and it's better for bass dispersion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok that's great to know! My theater looks like this, it's pretty small. So maybe I don't need dispersion. I don't really know. I have pulled the four theater seats up to about 2/3 of room from screen. I did this because it's stupid to have seating area right on back wall, it gave me room to throw in three F18 subs behind seats, and it's better for bass dispersion.

Nice room. If you're not planning on rear surrounds the "S" version might give you a little better surround effects as some of the sound will be directed to the back wall. Also it might be easier on whoever is seated at the ends.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #5 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Nice room. If you're not planning on rear surrounds the "S" version might give you a little better surround effects as some of the sound will be directed to the back wall. Also it might be easier on whoever is seated at the ends.
I'm putting the SL and SRspeakers in the back walls, not sides. It's going to be a 5.5.2 system when it's done. But I'm assuming same principal, each rear speaker will be a few feet from someone's head. So I think I'll probably go with 'S' back there. Thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm putting the SL and SRspeakers in the back walls, not sides. It's going to be a 5.5.2 system when it's done. But I'm assuming same principal, each rear speaker will be a few feet from someone's head. So I think I'll probably go with 'S' back there. Thanks for the advice!
Technically for 5 channel coded sources, surrounds are placed to the sides of the listening position. 7 channel sources use rear surrounds placed behind the seating area. With 5 speakers 6 or 7 channel audio will be directed to the side surrounds. OF course you won't be struck down by lightening for putting surround speakers in the rear surround position.
DaveyMac likes this.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page