Recommendations for nearfield 5.1.4 setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Recommendations for nearfield 5.1.4 setup?

I'm planning to build a nearfield 5.1.4 setup in my bedroom. The room is 12x15x9' and I'll be sitting around 4 feet away from each speaker. Height speakers will be ceiling mounted, with wires surface mounted. Not sure what SPL and bass extension I need for the height speakers. Does timber match matter for the rear surrounds for music? What would you recommend changing?

Front: 2x Genelec 8341 (current)

Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 or Monoprice HTP-1

Subwoofer: 2x Rythmik F12SE

Side surrounds: 2x Genelec 8331

Back surrounds: No space

Front heights: 2x Genelec 8010A (?)

Rear heights: 2x Genelec 8010A (?)

LG C8 | 2x Focal Shape 65 | 4x Emotiva B1 | 2x SVS SB-2000 | NAD T 758 V3 | GIK Acoustics
Sony X900F | 4x KEF Q150 | SVS SB-2000 | Denon X1400H | GIK Acoustics

Last edited by simplyderp; 07-17-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 825
I had a near-field setup in my old place (4' also from surrounds, and fronts were about 6' to 7' or so) and it was perfectly fine, if you level match the speakers with an SPL meter and test tones.

Timbre matching is more important for the front stage so the sound and imaging between L-C-R is consistent, and also because the majority of the content comes from the front. Since the surrounds and heights play mostly ambiance and sound effects, you wouldn't really notice timbre matching unless they are completely and drastically different speakers.

For the height speakers, Dolby Atmos specs suggest extension to at least 100hz (-3dB) in a bass-managed system. Ideally get ones that can hit 80hz and then raise your crossover to 100hz to give it a little more headroom.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyderp View Post
I'm planning to build a nearfield 5.1.4 setup in my bedroom. The room is 12x15x9' and I'll be sitting around 4 feet away from each speaker. Height speakers will be ceiling mounted, with wires surface mounted. Not sure what SPL and bass extension I need for the height speakers. Does timber match matter for the rear surrounds for music? What would you recommend changing?
A system built around actively amplified speakers - excellent! This sort of configuration should be thought of far more often, especially by those building a system from scratch.

I've inserted some suggestions below. These are simply based on my own personal preferences for budget allocation, priority etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyderp View Post
Front: 2x Genelec 8341 (current)

Centre: I presume another Genelec 8341 SAM?

Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 or Monoprice HTP-1 I believe the XMC-2 is still not available and the HTP-1 - while seemingly a bargain - also has seven more channels than required. Room correction aside, I don't place much expectation on the contribution of electronics to the overall sound, so I would spend far less on the processor. Something like this refurbished Marantz AV7704 has adequate pre-out voltage and would be perfectly fine. If you decide you want Dirac Live capability down the track you could insert say a miniDSP DDRC-88Ain the signal path.

Subwoofer: 2x Rythmik F12SE Rythmik are excellent. I'd go for a couple of LVX12's for the flexibility the port/tuning options offer and the extra bit of output capability. They do give away the F12SE's XLR inputs and glossy finish though.

Side surrounds: 2x Genelec 8331 These would be great but at $2250 ea, probably overkill for surround duty. The 2-way 6.5' 8040B's ($1175 ea) would be more than enough at 4ft distance.

Back surrounds: No space

Front heights: 2x Genelec 8010A (?) The maximum peak SPL of 96dB from these little fellas may limit system SPL capability. I'd go for the marginally bigger 8020D's for their 107dBSPL peak capability.

Rear heights: 2x Genelec 8010A (?)
You have the makings of great sounding, dynamic system there. Good luck!

[Genelec Active Monitors | Sweetwater]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
A system built around actively amplified speakers - excellent! This sort of configuration should be thought of far more often, especially by those building a system from scratch.
I think the main problem with this is you can't control the length of the power cords, especially with proprietary cables, which limits placement options, but with passive speakers you can run as long as speaker wire as you want.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
A system built around actively amplified speakers - excellent! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] This sort of configuration should be thought of far more often, especially by those building a system from scratch.
I think the main problem with this is you can't control the length of the power cords, especially with proprietary cables, which limits placement options, but with passive speakers you can run as long as speaker wire as you want.
You can just buy those iec connectors and do any length you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page