Center Suggestion for old Boston Acoustics VR2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center Suggestion for old Boston Acoustics VR2

Hi all,

I was in the process of changing my sound system (mainly, 2.0). I've tried multiple good options of kits of stereo + center on other brand, but after listening, decided to stick with the VR2 floorstanding.

Now, I already have a VR10 from the same brand, but the speaker is very "thin". I think the VR2 are pretty good, but the center really lacks something.

Does anyone have any recommended suggestion for another brand that could fit well?

Also, i have the Denon 3500, so would the Odyssey 32XT "adjust" the timber difference to match all?

Thanks all for your suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7258 Post(s)
Liked: 5565
  • Chane A2.4
  • Emotiva C1
  • Ascend 340SE
smithsabom likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

Are they general center for any setup? What I've read on some forum is that the Boston from that period have some "unique" signature in their sound.

Is the audissey correction will help on "blending" the speakers together or there may still be a good difference in "sound" in the end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Also,

I've looked at the proposed speaker, worth mentioning I'm in Canada (Quebec), so it seems pretty hard to get those speakers. Any suggestion for some easier accessible on the Canadian side?

Thanks all!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3103
There is the Boston VR12 center with 6.5 inch woofers and 4.5 inch midrange driver
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-ACOU...0AAOSwMctc-fsB

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...dkw=bostonvr12

----------------
Who AM I
post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 2680
Budget?

Much of the performance of a center channel speaker can be improved with proper positioning and integration. How is the center channel set up (position/crossover/gain)?

No, a receiver cannot make two dissimilar speakers sound the same.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-18-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 437
This Polk LSiM 704c is very nice and available from Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-LSi.../dp/B0062PAWGY
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Budget would be around 350 to 400 CAD (325$ USD).

For the VR12, I already have the VR10, which I found really "synthetic" and thin, and never listened to VR12, though getting one used in Canada is kind of expensive on the ebay side.

For the VR10 I own right now, it's sitting on my tv media furniture. No port, so it's about 8 inch from the wall. I've tried leaving it flat (about 8 inch below ears) and angling it up a little. Crossover is at 80khz, tried it at "large" and "small" setting on the Denon 3500. It just stand up really different in sound than my VR2, either before and after calibration. It's lacking some depth, clarity in the voice and it doesn't seems to blend with my setup (kind of it was another company center)

So this is why I was looking for alternative that could blend well with the Boston and give me more depth.

Thanks!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7258 Post(s)
Liked: 5565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Boucher View Post
worth mentioning I'm in Canada (Quebec), so it seems pretty hard to get those speakers. Any suggestion for some easier accessible on the Canadian side? Thanks all!
If Amazon.ca has a similarly relaxed return policy, this would be worth a try:
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-C-LCR-Cent...gateway&sr=8-5

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 2680
Quote:

For the VR12, I already have the VR10, which I found really "synthetic" and thin, and never listened to VR12, though getting one used in Canada is kind of expensive on the ebay side.

For the VR10 I own right now, it's sitting on my tv media furniture. No port, so it's about 8 inch from the wall. I've tried leaving it flat (about 8 inch below ears) and angling it up a little. Crossover is at 80khz, tried it at "large" and "small" setting on the Denon 3500. It just stand up really different in sound than my VR2, either before and after calibration. It's lacking some depth, clarity in the voice and it doesn't seems to blend with my setup (kind of it was another company center)

So this is why I was looking for alternative that could blend well with the Boston and give me more depth.

Thanks!
Sounds like you've put the current center through it's paces, and it has just come up short. Perhaps this one might be a better center, and not too far off the sound signature of your mains ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Paradigm-Monit...ateway&sr=8-22

or this three way:

https://www.amazon.ca/Paradigm-Cente...gateway&sr=8-3

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3103
Quote:

Then NHT is a good option as recommended above

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page