5.1.4 Speaker advice: ELAC, Pioneer, Monoprice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By cocrh
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By Gold87
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1.4 Speaker advice: ELAC, Pioneer, Monoprice

Hi Folks,
I'm going to upgrade my current entry-level 5.1 system (Onkyo HT-RC270 + Energy Take 5.1) to a 5.1.4 atmos system, and am contemplating the following options and would welcome your suggestions and advice.

This setup will be used to watch movies on an 4K LG or Sony OLED with Dolby Vision and listen to music (consistent of lossless and lossy music) that sits on a QNAP NAS. The room is roughly 12'W X 15'D X 9'H, with one of the 15' sides being open, and the front speakers to be placed on the 12'f wall. Clarity is more important than loudness. There isn't room for a second woofer given the room arrangement.

Speakers
Option 1: fronts ELAC Debut B6.2 with ELAC Debut 2.0 A4.2, center ELAC Debut C6.2, rear atmos Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR. Cost is about $900

Option 2: Same as option 1, except use Pioneer SP-T22A-LR instead of the A4.2. Cost is about $750.

Option 3: Same as option 1, except use Monoprice Premium Immersive Satellite speakers as rear atmos. Cost is about $780.

Option 4: Monoprice THX-265B front, THX-365C center, and Monoprice Premium Immersive Satellite. Cost is about $830.

My current preference is Option 3, FYI.

Receiver:
And lastly I was contemplating the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 which is currently available for $450, refurbished. However, I'm wondering what people's opinion of the INTEGRA DRX-3.2 9.2-ch is.

Are these options are appealing enough to deliver a good auditory improvement along with an ATMOS experience relative to the cost, roughly $1200-$1400? I'm also interested in other solutions at around this budget. Lastly, I would continue using the Energy Take woofer for the time being.

Thanks.
agon123-sf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-18-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 349
cocrh is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for pointing out the Emitova speakers and will check them out. What do you like about? But the rears aren't atmos so i'd need to add modules, increasing the cost. I could instead purchase the Pioneers or Monoprice rear atmos speakers...
agon123-sf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,245
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3005 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Elac and Emotiva would be good options .... and the Pioneer SP-T22A-LR looks like a good Atmos option .... and I like Integra receivers
agon123-sf likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,846
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8794 Post(s)
Liked: 5972
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post
Hi Folks,
I'm going to upgrade my current entry-level 5.1 system (Onkyo HT-RC270 + Energy Take 5.1) to a 5.1.4 atmos system, and am contemplating the following options and would welcome your suggestions and advice.

This setup will be used to watch movies on an 4K LG or Sony OLED with Dolby Vision and listen to music (consistent of lossless and lossy music) that sits on a QNAP NAS. The room is roughly 12'W X 15'D X 9'H, with one of the 15' sides being open, and the front speakers to be placed on the 12'f wall. Clarity is more important than loudness. There isn't room for a second woofer given the room arrangement.

Speakers
Option 1: fronts ELAC Debut B6.2 with ELAC Debut 2.0 A4.2, center ELAC Debut C6.2, rear atmos Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR. Cost is about $900

Option 2: Same as option 1, except use Pioneer SP-T22A-LR instead of the A4.2. Cost is about $750.

Option 3: Same as option 1, except use Monoprice Premium Immersive Satellite speakers as rear atmos. Cost is about $780.

Option 4: Monoprice THX-265B front, THX-365C center, and Monoprice Premium Immersive Satellite. Cost is about $830.

My current preference is Option 3, FYI.

Receiver:
And lastly I was contemplating the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 which is currently available for $450, refurbished. However, I'm wondering what people's opinion of the INTEGRA DRX-3.2 9.2-ch is.

Are these options are appealing enough to deliver a good auditory improvement along with an ATMOS experience relative to the cost, roughly $1200-$1400? I'm also interested in other solutions at around this budget. Lastly, I would continue using the Energy Take woofer for the time being.

Thanks.
Pioneer Elite Atmos enabled are another option...and a step up as they are all 3 way.

$698 for the 4 corners:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0aAqW3EALw_wcB

$199 for the center.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0aAuc-EALw_wcB

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

https://referencehometheater.com/rev...eakers-review/

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,983
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post
Hi Folks,


Receiver:
And lastly I was contemplating the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 which is currently available for $450, refurbished. However, I'm wondering what people's opinion of the INTEGRA DRX-3.2 9.2-ch is.

Are these options are appealing enough to deliver a good auditory improvement along with an ATMOS experience relative to the cost, roughly $1200-$1400? I'm also interested in other solutions at around this budget. Lastly, I would continue using the Energy Take woofer for the time being.

Thanks.
Maybe take a look at the Onkyo 630/730. Pretty much the same as the integra and better crossover control than the pioneer.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=cocrh;58313090]Option 5
Emotiva B1 for fronts

Emotiva C1 for center

Emotiva E1 for rears/atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Maybe take a look at the Onkyo 630/730. Pretty much the same as the integra and better crossover control than the pioneer.
Thanks for the Onkyo 630/730 suggestion. I'm hard pressed to find significant differences between the lower-end 630 and 730/830 (aside from the THX certification and lower W/channel). It looks like eARC isn't available via a firmware update. Or am I missing something significant that would impact my goal of a 5.1.4 with a mix of speaker brands? A new TX-RZ630 is available for less than $380 at the moment and may pull the trigger if it looks like it will fill my needs nicely.

I decided to get the ELAC B5.2/C5.2 since they were used ones available at a significant price difference compared to the EMOTIVA.

I'm still hedging between the Pioneers SP-BS22-LR & Monoprice Satellite atmos. Since these would serve as rear speakers, I'm not sure whether the Pioneers would perform a better job or not...
agon123-sf is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=agon123-sf;58319312]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Option 5
Emotiva B1 for fronts

Emotiva C1 for center

Emotiva E1 for rears/atmos



Thanks for the Onkyo 630/730 suggestion. I'm hard pressed to find significant differences between the lower-end 630 and 730/830 (aside from the THX certification and lower W/channel). It looks like eARC isn't available via a firmware update. Or am I missing something significant that would impact my goal of a 5.1.4 with a mix of speaker brands? A new TX-RZ630 is available for less than $380 at the moment and may pull the trigger if it looks like it will fill my needs nicely.

I decided to get the ELAC B5.2/C5.2 since they were used ones available at a significant price difference compared to the EMOTIVA.

I'm still hedging between the Pioneers SP-BS22-LR & Monoprice Satellite atmos. Since these would serve as rear speakers, I'm not sure whether the Pioneers would perform a better job or not...
The 830 and 730 have pre outs and can go to 7.2.4. 5.2.4 with no external amp. Different seem small like the 830 has different buttons on the front and 20 more watts a channel.
The 630 can do 5.2.4 and has no pre outs. For the extra $60 i think the 730 is worth it for the preouts, have the option to use them later if you want to. Amazon has the 730 for $440.

The emotiva speakers are a great choice. I have t1/c2/e2. They work great for me and others really enjoy them. At the close out prices it makes them hard to beat.

I own the monoprice speakers and they are ok. Purchased with a box set. My one complaint is the atmos module is part of the bookshelf speaker. It makes it hard to aim the atmos speaker if it needs to be and not mess up the other speakers alignment. I used them as front atmos only speakers on top of my t1 till i put ceiling speakers in. They worked fine for that since i could tilt them forward some to hit my listening area.

Last edited by Gold87; 07-20-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Gold87 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=Gold87;58320220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post

The 830 and 730 have pre outs and can go to 7.2.4. 5.2.4 with no external amp. Different seem small like the 830 has different buttons on the front and 20 more watts a channel.
The 630 can do 5.2.4 and has no pre outs. For the extra $60 i think the 730 is worth it for the preouts, have the option to use them later if you want to. Amazon has the 730 for $440.

The emotiva speakers are a great choice. I have t1/c2/e2. They work great for me and others really enjoy them. At the close out prices it makes them hard to beat.

I own the monoprice speakers and they are ok. Purchased with a box set. My one complaint is the atmos module is part of the bookshelf speaker. It makes it hard to aim the atmos speaker if it needs to be and not mess up the other speakers alignment. I used them as front atmos only speakers on top of my t1 till i put ceiling speakers in. They worked fine for that since i could tilt them forward some to hit my listening area.
Great advice all around.
-I'll get the 730.

-Interesting that you point one that having the atmos module built into the speaker is a potential issue in getting the best height effects. I had been leaning on the Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR, but you've made me rethink the solution for the back. My thought had been to get a middle-of-the-road quality rear/atmos speaker since a better quality speakers might be wasted with duties in the "rear". What atmos module would you pair with the Airmotiv B1?--The Pioneer add on? Unfortunately I don't have much room to install atmos speakers on the wall or in the ceiling.

Thanks, Arturo
agon123-sf is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,593
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
Emotiva A1 (atmos) is coming soon.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #11 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=agon123-sf;58321006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post

Great advice all around.
-I'll get the 730.

-Interesting that you point one that having the atmos module built into the speaker is a potential issue in getting the best height effects. I had been leaning on the Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR, but you've made me rethink the solution for the back. My thought had been to get a middle-of-the-road quality rear/atmos speaker since a better quality speakers might be wasted with duties in the "rear". What atmos module would you pair with the Airmotiv B1?--The Pioneer add on? Unfortunately I don't have much room to install atmos speakers on the wall or in the ceiling.

Thanks, Arturo
The pioneer add on ones should work just fine, they are $100 on amazon. Atmos does not need high end speakers to still be effective. Placing them correctly is more important and modules let you do just that i used wedges on the back side of mine because they reflected about 5 ft infront of me and i wanted it closer to 2-3 ft.
Gold87 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Emotiva A1 (atmos) is coming soon.
I waited for them for 3 months and them saying they are coming out soon. I finally just got different speakers since i was not sure what the price would be or if i could mount them like i wanted to. Not a ton of info on them to make me want to wait.
Soulburner likes this.
Gold87 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=Gold87;58321074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post

The pioneer add on ones should work just fine, they are $100 on amazon. Atmos does not need high end speakers to still be effective. Placing them correctly is more important and modules let you do just that i used wedges on the back side of mine because they reflected about 5 ft infront of me and i wanted it closer to 2-3 ft.
Since I've already ordered the Debut 2.0 B5.2 & C5.2, I could pair these with Airmotiv B1 as surround speakers (and Pioneer atmos addons). Would this be a good mix or should I instead go with another pair of Debuts?
agon123-sf is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post
I waited for them for 3 months and them saying they are coming out soon. I finally just got different speakers since i was not sure what the price would be or if i could mount them like i wanted to. Not a ton of info on them to make me want to wait.
Interesting. I tried to find information about these, but didn't find any information. Do you have any more definitive information about the product and arrival? Otherwise I may just go ahead and get the Pioneer add-on with a pair of Airmotiv B1 or Debut 5.2.
agon123-sf is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post
Interesting. I tried to find information about these, but didn't find any information. Do you have any more definitive information about the product and arrival? Otherwise I may just go ahead and get the Pioneer add-on with a pair of Airmotiv B1 or Debut 5.2.
When and the price, no. Last time i called they said look for them in a few weeks. Its been over a month now.
I sis see they can be used as modules or height speakers. Someone mentioned they have a switch to change them between the 2 but not really sure what the switch is going to do as no other manufacturers use it. The other thing is if they have a ceiling mount like svs or if they can only be used as height speakers and mounted on the wall. Most came down to too many unknowns so i found something else.
Gold87 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=agon123-sf;58324106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post

Since I've already ordered the Debut 2.0 B5.2 & C5.2, I could pair these with Airmotiv B1 as surround speakers (and Pioneer atmos addons). Would this be a good mix or should I instead go with another pair of Debuts?
I kept all my speakers the same. Some say surrounds dont matter as much but i like the emotiva line so just kept it all the same. If i was going to try and save money i would get the sony cores (on sale for $74) as surrounds or keep them all the same for not much more than the emotiva.
Gold87 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 106
[quote=Gold87;58320220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post

The 830 and 730 have pre outs and can go to 7.2.4. 5.2.4 with no external amp.
Both units have 9 amplifiers. An external amp is required for 7.2.4
titan ii is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,593
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post
When and the price, no. Last time i called they said look for them in a few weeks. Its been over a month now.
I sis see they can be used as modules or height speakers. Someone mentioned they have a switch to change them between the 2 but not really sure what the switch is going to do as no other manufacturers use it. The other thing is if they have a ceiling mount like svs or if they can only be used as height speakers and mounted on the wall. Most came down to too many unknowns so i found something else.
There has to be a way to change their sound for on-wall use because upfiring Atmos modules have a modified (read: not even close to flat) response that, after being modified by bouncing off the ceiling, reaches your ears somewhat "correct". If you listened directly to the speaker it would sound bad.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #19 of 21 Old 07-22-2019, 05:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
There has to be a way to change their sound for on-wall use because upfiring Atmos modules have a modified (read: not even close to flat) response that, after being modified by bouncing off the ceiling, reaches your ears somewhat "correct". If you listened directly to the speaker it would sound bad.
Your avr changes the sound when you select them as up firing modules and not height speakers. This is why a switch does not make since on a speaker.
Gold87 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 07-22-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,596
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7066 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by agon123-sf View Post
Interesting. I tried to find information about these, but didn't find any information. Do you have any more definitive information about the product and arrival? Otherwise I may just go ahead and get the Pioneer add-on with a pair of Airmotiv B1 or Debut 5.2.
For your Atmos speakers, I'd just get a pair of NHT SuperZeros from Amazon for about $120 shipped. They are compact, sealed cabinet designs so would be very easy to wall mount up high or have on top of a normal speaker pointing upwards. No need to spend more for something that does such a miniscule % of the HT output; the SuperZeros are themselves very nice classic speakers that have more than stood the test of time...google them for reviews. It would not be shocking if you found that you actually preferred them to your ELACs as fronts when run with a good subwoofer in fact, no joke.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for everyone for the suggestions.

I ended up getting an Onkyo TX-RZ730 to go with the ELACs (b5.2 and C5.2 and Atmos addons) plus SVS Prime Satellite and Pioneer Atmos addons. The sound is amazing.

It's worth noting that the SVS speakers are really good and would refute the negative reviews I've seen including, Z Review. The sound is truly spectacular.
agon123-sf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off