Need Help: Atmos Upgrade Suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By kjfalls
  • 1 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Need Help: Atmos Upgrade Suggestions?

I currently have a 5.1 setup (pictured below). Note that my subwoofer remains unseen, as it sits in a far right corner behind a chair. Everything I have has been professionally calibrated, so I'm definitely getting the most out of my current setup. However, this was all done before Atmos came about.

Keep in mind, with my setup not really allowing a lot of flexibility due to limited space, if I wanted to go with an Atmos setup, what would be my best option? Would my best option be to just add two ceiling speakers directly above the TV? Or should the ceiling ones be slightly behind the TV or slightly in front? Ceiling is really my only option, but all of the diagrams confuse me? My current surrounds in the ceiling that sit directly above me are Polk MC80s, so I was just going to buy a second set and have the audio guy I know install and wire them for me. But what would be the best placement?

The other question I have, and this is my ignorance here, but wouldn’t the setup sound a bit odd on a non-Atmos 7.1 track? Because wouldn’t those front ceiling speakers be treated like rear speakers that are improperly placed? Again, I've been on 5.1 so long, that I don't really know.

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions about what I should do here. My Outlaw amp I purchased only has five channels, so I'd have to buy a 7 channel, in addition to the speakers and installation - it'll definitely cost me. But I'll worry about that if I decide to go through with it.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 18, 7 17 42 PM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	897.6 KB
ID:	2592404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 18, 7 17 24 PM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	921.1 KB
ID:	2592406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 18, 7 17 10 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	948.8 KB
ID:	2592408  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
You want your height speakers to be between 30-55 degrees from your seats, whether front or rear.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #3 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 7173 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
The main point of Atmos is to separate sounds around you versus sounds above you. With your current in-ceiling surrounds placed directly above the listeners, you're not going to get that separation, making it pointless to do Atmos by adding more in-ceiling speakers. You'd be better off figuring out a way to add 2 surround speakers to the side walls or rear wall, mounted a foot or two above seated ear height. Then you can use your current in-ceiling speakers as heights and get the around-you vs above-you separation intended by the Atmos format.
doni01 likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You may want to quiz your professional about first reflection points. With your speakers right up against the wall first reflections have to be smearing the front imaging. Your in-ceiling rears are a compromise as well. But we all work with the space we have. What matters is you're happy with the sound. +1 on not going ATMOS.
doni01 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
You may want to quiz your professional about first reflection points. With your speakers right up against the wall first reflections have to be smearing the front imaging. Your in-ceiling rears are a compromise as well. But we all work with the space we have. What matters is you're happy with the sound. +1 on not going ATMOS.

Oh, I’ve always been happy with my sound setup and have never felt like I needed anything beyond what I have.

But it sounds like adding more ceiling speakers wouldn’t really be properly taking advantage of Atmos, so maybe I should just keep things as they are. At least for right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 491
If you can mount some side surround speakers lower down, you could use those top two ceiling speakers in a top middle configuration and test out a 5.1.2 setup. If you don't like it, you can change it back. If you do like it, you could look into adding another two speakers in a front height type of setup.

And to answer your question about how a non-atmos track is handled, it get's upmixed. Here's a link for more info on that:

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...sneuralx/32382
doni01 likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 07-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 756
I would say turn your already installed ceiling speakers into the Atmos speakers and put two speakers basically on the back corners of your couch. Have them toed in to direct at center seat.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #8 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I would add a pair of on-wall/in-wall speakers for your surround channels before you move onto Atmos. You need vertical separation between the so-called "bed layer" (ie: your 5.1 speakers) and the "height-layer" (Atmos) speakers.
The bed-layer speakers should be no more than half-way up the wall. You could then use your current surround speakers as your Atmos channels, or add an additional pair of speakers to have 4 Atmos channels.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The problem with my setup is that my couch is directly against the back wall and there isn’t really room for two equally placed in-wall speakers because there’s a big window behind half of the couch. Whatever speakers could be installed on the backwall would be so high-up that they would be within inches of the current in-ceiling surround speakers.

And speakers on the sides isn’t really possible. Although one could be installed on the wall to the right of me, the left wall is much further away and also has a big window.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I currently have a 5.1 setup (pictured below). Note that my subwoofer remains unseen, as it sits in a far right corner behind a chair. Everything I have has been professionally calibrated, so I'm definitely getting the most out of my current setup. However, this was all done before Atmos came about.

Keep in mind, with my setup not really allowing a lot of flexibility due to limited space, if I wanted to go with an Atmos setup, what would be my best option? Would my best option be to just add two ceiling speakers directly above the TV? Or should the ceiling ones be slightly behind the TV or slightly in front? Ceiling is really my only option, but all of the diagrams confuse me? My current surrounds in the ceiling that sit directly above me are Polk MC80s, so I was just going to buy a second set and have the audio guy I know install and wire them for me. But what would be the best placement?

The other question I have, and this is my ignorance here, but wouldn’t the setup sound a bit odd on a non-Atmos 7.1 track? Because wouldn’t those front ceiling speakers be treated like rear speakers that are improperly placed? Again, I've been on 5.1 so long, that I don't really know.

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions about what I should do here. My Outlaw amp I purchased only has five channels, so I'd have to buy a 7 channel, in addition to the speakers and installation - it'll definitely cost me. But I'll worry about that if I decide to go through with it.

What do you guys think?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Enjoy what you have! adding additional channels could actually make your sound worse. The added cost of an additional amp and installation of the speakers is hardly worth it for the little benefit if any you would gain due to the current configuration. Add a 2nd sub instead.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
The problem with my setup is that my couch is directly against the back wall and there isn’t really room for two equally placed in-wall speakers because there’s a big window behind half of the couch. Whatever speakers could be installed on the backwall would be so high-up that they would be within inches of the current in-ceiling surround speakers.

And speakers on the sides isn’t really possible. Although one could be installed on the wall to the right of me, the left wall is much further away and also has a big window.

You could use a wall mount that pivots in and points toward the MLP or points to the opposite side surround speaker. You could also perhaps move your couch forward 6-12 inches to get a little more separation from the surrounds. Also, the rear speakers don't have to be equally spaced. My left side surround is out further from the MLP than the right. Your AVR can compensate for that to some degree. Here's some pictures to help you visualize what I think you could do in your room (of course, I don't have a great picture of the back of your room so I am guessing somewhat).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2592598   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail8.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	2592600  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement