• 2 Post By bear123

post #1 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
HSU Horn Speakers

Lots of speaker recommendation threads, but I never see anyone talk about these anymore.

HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker
HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel

http://stereomojo.com/HSU%20HB1%20Mk...akerReview.htm

Have people really moved on, or are they just overlooked?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8772 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Lots of speaker recommendation threads, but I never see anyone talk about these anymore.

They are still a great bargain IMHO.

Hard to find a quality 6.5" speaker pair for much less than the $378 they want for the HB1.

I've started to recommend cheaper to return speakers more and more, especially now that Crutchfield's options have expanded and their $10/box return charge on bookshelves (with many quality brands to choose from), is ridiculously generous.

When I returned the KLH Albany speakers which came in just one box it only cost me $10 in rewards points which was surprising to me.

They didn't question the dent in one of them that I noticed right away despite the factory packaging being robust and undamaged. Offered me 10% off had I chosen to keep them, (it was a very small dent on the rear edge).

I'd never returned anything to them before and it was every bit as painless as advertised.

Prior to the KLH Albany experience I had come to the conclusion that there weren't any "bad" speakers out there any more and recommending "expensive to return" speakers was not that big a deal.

Sadly the KLH proved that to be untrue.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7054 Post(s)
Liked: 5358
Quote:
Probably overlooked, and/or dismissed out of hand by those who assume "horn" = ear-piercingly "bright" or by those who've heard that the HB-1s are slightly "warm" and actually WANT a "bright" or more neutral speaker for HT.

When I heard them at Hsu HQ though I thought they were very nice, would not have minded a pair myself.

However, nowadays $378/pair gets you all kinds of sweet options, it's no longer such a great bargain pricepoint...

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 934
I heard these at their location in Anaheim, with and without a sub(s). These are very good speakers. They’re smooth, do not have the cupped hands sound of some other inexpensive horns I’ve heard. Mids are good, however these really are meant to be run with one of HSUs subs as they don’t have much punch on their own. A good 2.1 speaker, but not a 2.0 speaker. IMO. Movie demo was really fun with Dual subs playing.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #5 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Probably overlooked, and/or dismissed out of hand by those who assume "horn" = ear-piercingly "bright" or by those who've heard that the HB-1s are slightly "warm" and actually WANT a "bright" or more neutral speaker for HT.

When I heard them at Hsu HQ though I thought they were very nice, would not have minded a pair myself.

However, nowadays $378/pair gets you all kinds of sweet options, it's no longer such a great bargain pricepoint...
I still recommend them, however great deals and close-out prices like Emotiva T1's are excellent value/performance options. Budget more often then not reflect the recommendations. HSU also isn't cheap to return if you don't like them for some reason.
Zorba922 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have been going back to them for years now. I keep getting new speakers and end up going back to the hsu’s. I get bored after awhile, and want a change, but then the change sounds harsh to me for music. I was running 3 of the hc1 mk2 upfront and the hb1’s in the rear and decided to move to the Emotiva T1’s and C2. So I sold the hb1’s and one of the hc1’s to a buddy. Love the emo’s For movies. But that tweeter extension can get to my ears some times with music. Same thing with the chanes’s. I figured eventually my ears would adjust to the emo’s for music, but when I switch the hc1’s back up front, I do enjoy it more than the t1’s up front. This is music only. Tried to get my buddy to sell the hsu’s back to me. He said “no thanks”. Lol. Now the hsu’s aren’t perfect to my ears. They can be slightly sibilant on some sounds, but a lot of other speakers, to my broken ears ,have a bite in the higher frequencies that bothers me. And over the last ten years I’ve been through quite a few set different setups.And I take a beating on the new ones, and back to the hsu’s. Crazy thing about the hsu’s is, at extreme volume levels they give me no sense of “ I better turn that down “. -5 on the volume isn’t uncomfortable at all. Check the db’s with r. e. W. Spl meter, and it’s just as loud as where other speakers tell my ears to turn it down.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. My phone won’t let me
post #8 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
I have been going back to them for years now. I keep getting new speakers and end up going back to the hsu’s. I get bored after awhile, and want a change, but then the change sounds harsh to me for music. I was running 3 of the hc1 mk2 upfront and the hb1’s in the rear and decided to move to the Emotiva T1’s and C2. So I sold the hb1’s and one of the hc1’s to a buddy. Love the emo’s For movies. But that tweeter extension can get to my ears some times with music. Same thing with the chanes’s. I figured eventually my ears would adjust to the emo’s for music, but when I switch the hc1’s back up front, I do enjoy it more than the t1’s up front. This is music only. Tried to get my buddy to sell the hsu’s back to me. He said “no thanks”. Lol. Now the hsu’s aren’t perfect to my ears. They can be slightly sibilant on some sounds, but a lot of other speakers, to my broken ears ,have a bite in the higher frequencies that bothers me. And over the last ten years I’ve been through quite a few set different setups.And I take a beating on the new ones, and back to the hsu’s. Crazy thing about the hsu’s is, at extreme volume levels they give me no sense of “ I better turn that down “. -5 on the volume isn’t uncomfortable at all. Check the db’s with r. e. W. Spl meter, and it’s just as loud as where other speakers tell my ears to turn it down.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Have you tried to EQ the highs down a bit on the Emotivas?
post #9 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I heard these at their location in Anaheim, with and without a sub(s). These are very good speakers. They’re smooth, do not have the cupped hands sound of some other inexpensive horns I’ve heard. Mids are good, however these really are meant to be run with one of HSUs subs as they don’t have much punch on their own. A good 2.1 speaker, but not a 2.0 speaker. IMO. Movie demo was really fun with Dual subs playing.
Nice. In a world of high quality, affordable subs, bass extension is not as important as it once was. I'm glad someone is making speakers with subs in mind, rather than expending Hoffman's on chasing sub bass - at the expense of sensitivity and other things.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Have you tried to EQ the highs down a bit on the Emotivas?
Yeah , for sure. That definitely helps, that’s what I’ve been doing for the last 6 months or so. Using the manual eq on my Onkyo rz 830 closes the gap a bit. I will say that they sounded quite a bit smoother on a Denon before I switched to Onkyo. Don’t want to start a discussion about all amps sound the same or not, but to my ears, be it placebo or not ,the emo’s are really sensitive to different amps . Switched to Onkyo for the extra channels over a denon x3300 and that’s when I really started missing the hsu’s. But in all fairness I think my ears have a problem with certain high frequencies. On paper the emo’s were exactly what I was looking for from all the reviews. But lots of speakers that are really easy on the ears to every one else,aren’t to mine. The Chane A2.4 actually hurt my ears when played at loud volume. Think I need to move up the food chain a bit with some better soft domes. It’s weird that the hsu’s have been my fallback, most metal dome speakers I I’ve heard I haven’t been a fan of. But back to the original post, if you need something easy on the ears, the hsu’s are the ticket. But they do give up a bit of excitement and sparkle so to speak of. I actually find myself having to up the treble for movies on the 830. Audyssey would boost the crap out of the highs in my room. Which made them come alive a bit for movies. But for music, I ran them flat

Last edited by jsb75; 07-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You may like Wharfedale speakers for music, based on your comments.
Zorba922 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #12 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

They are good speakers. They don't sound like horns. But then again neither do the new Klipsch's. The same budget speakers get recommended on this forum over and over. And for good reason, as most of them are good speakers and a good value. But there are some other options you don't hear about much like the HSU's, Dali Spectors and Zensors, PSB Alpha, Paradigm Monitor, Focal Chorus, etc. And a slew of other great options in the $500-$1000 range which doesn't get talked about as much on this forum.

Marantz NR1609 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X
Def Tech SM45 / Def Tech CLR 2002 / JBL Surrounds / Martin Logan Dynamo 300 / HiFiMan HE400i
post #13 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
They are good speakers. They don't sound like horns. But then again neither do the new Klipsch's.
What do horns sound like? I own some Cornwalls and a Heresy center, and other than being able to play louder with less power, I don't hear a "horn" sound as such.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post
What do horns sound like? I own some Cornwalls and a Heresy center, and other than being able to play louder with less power, I don't hear a "horn" sound as such.

I was referring to the cupped hands, honky sound. That's probably an unfair criticism of Klipsh because that effect is very minor. But there's no doubt Klipsch has a unique sound due to the horns. That forward, crisp, live sound. I've had KG 1.5's, 4.5's, RF3's, and RB5 II's. I will say one of the most enjoyable listening experiences I've ever had was listening to my friends Cornwalls powered by a tube amp. The Heritage line is incredible, as you know.

Marantz NR1609 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X
Def Tech SM45 / Def Tech CLR 2002 / JBL Surrounds / Martin Logan Dynamo 300 / HiFiMan HE400i
post #15 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Quote:
Yeah , for sure. That definitely helps, that’️s what I’️ve been doing for the last 6 months or so. Using the manual eq on my Onkyo rz 830 closes the gap a bit. I will say that they sounded quite a bit smoother on a Denon before I switched to Onkyo. Don’️t want to start a discussion about all amps sound the same or not, but to my ears, be it placebo or not ,the emo’️s are really sensitive to different amps . Switched to Onkyo for the extra channels over a denon x3300 and that’️s when I really started missing the hsu’️s. But in all fairness I think my ears have a problem with certain high frequencies. On paper the emo’️s were exactly what I was looking for from all the reviews. But lots of speakers that are really easy on the ears to every one else,aren’️t to mine. The Chane A2.4 actually hurt my ears when played at loud volume. Think I need to move up the food chain a bit with some better soft domes. It’️s weird that the hsu’️s have been my fallback, most metal dome speakers I I’️ve heard I haven’️t been a fan of. But back to the original post, if you need something easy on the ears, the hsu’️s are the ticket. But they do give up a bit of excitement and sparkle so to speak of. I actually find myself having to up the treble for movies on the 830. Audyssey would boost the crap out of the highs in my room. Which made them come alive a bit for movies. But for music, I ran them flat
What’s “up the chain” in terms of potential budget

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #16 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I really like the HSU's. I'd offer a listen if you're nearby, but there's alot of "Lincoln"s.

Have you seen the "i'll demo my speakers..." thread ? Worth a look.

Of course, IMO and YMMV
Joseph

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
post #17 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 3988
I had Hsu HB1 L/R and HC1 center for a number of years and was always very happy with them. I did recently delve into DIY so currently have them up for sale, but I think they performed extremely well especially considering the price. Very nice finish quality too.
Soulburner and gajCA like this.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
I really like the HSU's. I'd offer a listen if you're nearby, but there's alot of "Lincoln"s.

Have you seen the "i'll demo my speakers..." thread ? Worth a look.

Of course, IMO and YMMV
Joseph
Capitol city of Nebraska. Thanks for the offer, though.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
What’s “up the chain” in terms of potential budget
Not really sure. Thinking about the new rsl line that they have. Or the the higher offerings from ascend . Thought about trying the cmt 340’s ,but that’s probably just a lateral move from the Emotivas or hsu’s. Wish there was a decent hi fi shop in my area to demo stuff, but sadly not even a Best Buy magnolia, other side of Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page