Looking for Advice for LCR Speakers for 82" TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By callas01
  • 2 Post By WOKNROX
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for Advice for LCR Speakers for 82" TV

I just got an 82" 4K TV and want to redo my speakers (5.1). I have a SONY STR-DN1070 and some really old speakers. I'm looking at the Martlin Logan SLM-XL's for the L and Right Speakers (Want to wall mount them). For the Center I was also looking at the SLM-XL or the Motion 8i. My concern with the 8i is that i's pretty small and with such a large TV footprint, the 3 SLM-XL's might look and sound best.
I have an older Subwoffer (HSU) so I'm assuming this would also work with the system.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Personally I’d rather have the 8i, but do what feels best to you.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #3 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
What will they be used for? Do you have a preference for laid back speakers, bright or energetic speakers, neutral, etc? And have you heard examples of these and know what that means?

Will they be on stands, in a bookshelf, or do they need to be wall mounted? How much does appearance factor in? Do you have a spouse who would veto based on appearance?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yes on the spouse. I was planning on wall mounting all three of them. 2 on the side and one underneath the TV. My room is about 18 feet across.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever16 View Post
Yes on the spouse. I was planning on wall mounting all three of them. 2 on the side and one underneath the TV. My room is about 18 feet across.
Got you, I think a good speaker to consider would be the Revel M10 or PSB Imagine W1 on wall speakers.
Their impedance will be much easier on your receivers amp, having owned a Sony receiver of the same level at one point I know low impedance speakers can cause them to run hot. Those ML’s are 4 ohm and that’s tough on the Sony

I must admit I have not heard any of the speakers being discussed, but I have heard each of the families these come from. My favorite would be the Imagine, even tho in the past the Imagine T and B lacked bass, the W1 has those passive radiators which should help bass output and is actually specd lower then the others, it’s also specd as a minimum 6 ohm load and would pair nicely with the Sony’s amp section. If staying true to the Imagine sound, expect a smooth top-end with good mid-range clarity, may sound slightly laidback and polite. But the Imagine T and B speakers always had great clarity and hopefully that shows up here as well with the W1.

Next I’d go for the Revel M10/C10 setup, the Concerta2 series is pretty good, a little more top-end energy vs something like the PSB. I found the F36s bass to be a little too hot (tuned up) and that it clouded the mid-range a little bit, better definition and subtlety would be better to me, however they were pleasing to listen too overall and despite my nit picking above had fine detail retrieval. The F36 had me thinking with these why would someone want to buy the Performa3 F206? So the Concerta line is high value performance on a budget. These are 8ohm and so good match to the Sony, they don’t spec minimum impedance. Another option here with Revel would be the S16 on-wall bookshelf which has better bass extension then any of the on-walls being considered here and match that with the C10. The S16/C10 would probably be my personal choice even over the PSBs.

ML - I’m not a fan of the Motion speakers or the AMT tweeters in general, they do offer good detail but I find them fatiguing vs other more traditional ribbon tweeters. Also the 4 ohm rating concerns me with your Sony.

These can all be found at Crutchfield with good return policies.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S

Last edited by callas01; 07-21-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Some options, keeping in mind restocking on returns:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-each/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

Last edited by Soulburner; 07-21-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8813 Post(s)
Liked: 5994
Quote:
I just got an 82" 4K TV and want to redo my speakers (5.1). I have a SONY STR-DN1070 and some really old speakers. I'm looking at the Martlin Logan SLM-XL's for the L and Right Speakers (Want to wall mount them). For the Center I was also looking at the SLM-XL or the Motion 8i. My concern with the 8i is that i's pretty small and with such a large TV footprint, the 3 SLM-XL's might look and sound best.
I have an older Subwoffer (HSU) so I'm assuming this would also work with the system.

Thanks.
The Motion 8is share the same tweeter and main drivers as the SLMs and despite not having the passive radiators of the SLMs play lower and thus easier to cross over to a subwoofer.

They can be used vertically or horizontally.

I have the Motion 8 in my secondary room as a center channel and it keeps up nicely with my LX16s and plays much louder than one would expect of such a compact speaker.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice. Also now looking at the Definite Tech Mythos Nine for LCR. Has great reviews and looks good.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice. Also now looking at the Definite Tech Mythos Nine for LCR. Has great reviews and looks good.
Order a pair of Def Tecs and Martin Logans from Crutchfield and return the losers for $10/box flat return shipping within 60 days.

The $10/box charge will be paid out of the rewards points you get from the purchase of the speakers you keep so, essentially, free return shipping unless you return all the speakers.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Might consider GoldenEar SuperSat 50 or 60.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #11 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Another consideration is a good quality sound bar.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #12 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2499
If you want to step up in class from the aforementioned options, check out the Totem Tribe series, the 'I's with a 'III' center or the 'III's with the 'V' center, depending on your budget considerations. Sometimes, these are paired with some version of the Kin Series to handle the surround duties.

https://totemacoustic.com/en/series

Lots of positive "press" here on the forum.

That said, you will probably need an external amp to drive these speakers properly (Outlaw Audio Model 5000 is a quality option, or something from Emotiva, or go upscale with a Parasound, or the like).

Totem speakers are dealer sold, and you will need to negotiate a discount (ask for the sun, accept the moon). In any case, these will be a significant investment in very high quality sound.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 261
take a look at axiom audio on walls.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If you want to step up in class from the aforementioned options, check out the Totem Tribe series, the 'I's with a 'III' center or the 'III's with the 'V' center, depending on your budget considerations. Sometimes, these are paired with some version of the Kin Series to handle the surround duties.

That said, you will probably need an external amp to drive these speakers properly (Outlaw Audio Model 5000 is a quality option, or something from Emotiva, or go upscale with a Parasound, or the like).

Totem speakers are dealer sold, and you will need to negotiate a discount (ask for the sun, accept the moon). In any case, these will be a significant investment in very high quality sound.
I wanted to bring these into the conversation as well, but based on the prices he was talking thought they might be too much. Really would be my #1 for on-walls.
RayGuy likes this.

post #15 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Why don't they specify driver sizes in the specs or manual.

Is that a secret?

I'm guessing 4" main drivers?

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Why don't they specify driver sizes in the specs or manual.

Is that a secret?

I'm guessing 4" main drivers?
You can get all the info from the dealer. That's how they play it. They are not an internet-based sales company, like Chane. More like Triad ...

post #17 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You can get all the info from the dealer. That's how they play it. They are not an internet-based sales company, like Chane. More like Triad ...
Hilarious.

IIRC Russdawg wanted to visit the Triad facility in Portland and perhaps listen and was told "no."

Very secret stuff going on there apparently!

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hilarious.

IIRC Russdawg wanted to visit the Triad facility in Portland and perhaps listen and was told "no."

post #19 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Yes on the spouse. I was planning on wall mounting all three of them...
I feel ya! My wife keeps saying "There are real tiny speakers now!" And I keep saying "I'm a loudspeaker design engineer, and let me you AGAIN that physics keeps those from sounding as good!" "Hofmann's Iron Law" says that tiny speakers have no bass and/or are power hungry. And in my experience, somehow just are missing some of the life of the music, like 128k MP3 or something. That is the difficulty with on-walls, thin=little air volume.

Are in-walls possible? What is behind that wall? Because a fiberglass stuffed wall cavity equals like a 3.5ish cubic foot cabinet, which is large. That, and elimination of the first early reflection, are advantages of in-wall over on-wall.

If not, some of the brands mentioned have good engineers, I would just say that yes you need to listen and be able to return what you don't like. I also +1 for Crutchfield, their customer service has been good in my and friend's experiences.

To test on-walls, you could make pair* of L-shaped "stands" out of a tall piece of like 1x8 and another piece along the floor and a 90 degree shelf bracket. Or just shove stuff up against the 1x8 (or 1x6 or whatever). The point is to make a temporary hanging spot to listen to the speakers without actually mounting to the wall yet. Also to let your ruler, er, spouse, see how the LOOK which let's not kid ourselves is very important.

And if that still does not meet the approval factor, you could turn to this stuff I worked on once upon a time
https://www.sonance.com/in-wall-in-c...visible-series

*I say pair because the center is probably hard to mount like this due to the TV. The L/R will give you a way good enough idea about the sound.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Check out the HTD Versa's..
They sound great, they won't look out of scale next to your huge screen and are completely customizable to fit into your rooms decor...the WAF is at 100% with these. Pair them with your sub and your golden.
Zorba922 and Transmaniacon like this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos DT SM 450's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 07-23-2019 at 04:48 AM.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked: 5375
Quote:
Assuming this system is mostly for movies/TV, I'd echo the previous poster and recommend the HTD Versas first---they are a lot less than the Def Techs, plus they come with free return shipping just in case you don't like them. I always recommend starting with the less expensive option and then moving up only if you're dissatisfied, since a lot of times the higher priced options are priced higher only in order to bolster the brand's "exclusive" or "high end" image, i.e. squeeze more money out of the consumer for what is often nothing-special actual performance, rather than to reflect any actual increased components cost or production cost...it's the dirty little secret that most of the industry and hobby lives on, IMO.
WOKNROX and Transmaniacon like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #22 of 24 Old 07-23-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Hilarious.

I believe that clients can go for a factory tour and demo when accompanied by a dealer. I would be happy to take a bunch of you with me the next time I go to Portland. I'll even create a sign-up sheet.

In the meantime if you want to see photos of my last factory tour visit, just let me know and I'll email them to you. Very cool.

[email protected]
post #23 of 24 Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I believe that clients can go for a factory tour and demo when accompanied by a dealer. I would be happy to take a bunch of you with me the next time I go to Portland. I'll even create a sign-up sheet.

In the meantime if you want to see photos of my last factory tour visit, just let me know and I'll email them to you. Very cool.
Thanks for the offer but I've only been to Portland once and have no plans to return.

It really seems that they are doing you dealers a disservice by not allowing people to call to take a factory tour and THEN finding the dealer nearest them.

Why miss a marketing opportunity by essentially building a wall around their facility.
WOKNROX likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 24 Old 07-24-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Please keep in mind that Triad is a relatively small company when compared to larger mass-market speaker companies. They just don't have the resources to operate factory tours to the public. I'm going to go out on a ledge and say that most companies here and abroad don't offer such tours either.

However, if you want a great video tour of Triad's unique build process, take a look at the youtube videos below:

10 Minute Tour:
2.30 min tour:

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
martin logan motion 8 , Martinlogan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page