AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   JBL 590/580 alternatives (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3080090-jbl-590-580-alternatives.html)

valleyslim 07-22-2019 04:08 PM

JBL 590/580 alternatives

Reposting on a computer hopefully fixing the "s" problem. So basically long story short I have JBL 590's as Left and Right and a 580 on its side as a center. I love the sound from music/movies, however because its in my living room, the 580 on its side is really ugly and we could all agree not the best setup. I plan on moving the JBLs into my man cave and starting over in the living room. I would love to do 1099 or htm 12 but they are never in stock. I still may wait for them but if they never come back, I was wondering what would be a good alternative to my JBLs? Things I have been considering is waiting for DIY, waiting for JBL 6 series (looks like they finally made a bigger center), emotive t2 with a refurbished c2 or waiting for the c2+, any thoughts would be welcomed, would like to stick around $1500, thanks

WOKNROX 07-22-2019 04:50 PM

Dont know how you feel about miss match speakers but, have you looked at an older Klipsch c-7... horn in between two 8" woofers...

Can be had for a sweet deal..

KSpan 07-22-2019 05:07 PM

Assuming you don't want a 520C, I use a C2 with my Studio 530s and they make a great pair. Can't comment on the other options but I do endorse this one.

mariogonzalezzz 07-22-2019 05:52 PM

i use a 520c with my 530s and am very happy with my setup.
not sure why people dont use it with the towers especially since the avr will match the volume all around.

the 520c goes on sale regularly for $150
i would buy it and if you dont like it, you can send it back free shipping included (not sure if on the sale price though)

Mocs123 07-22-2019 05:55 PM

HTM-12's appear to be in stock now, as do the HT-12's (the HTM's slightly cheaper cousin).

markg35 07-22-2019 06:30 PM

If you really want DIY Soundgroup speakers(1099's or HTM-12's) send Erich an email through the site.He is a great guy(a very busy guy though as DIY Soundgroup is more of a labor of love /hate for him)who will answer your questions and give you an idea when certain kits will be available.

Most of the kits have custom parts that are not always available or he's waiting for a shipment of certain parts.If you're really serious about ordering kits let him know that.

We are very fortunate to have people(Erich and the speaker designers)do this endeavor for us.

The kits are worth the wait.

Zorba922 07-22-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleyslim (Post 58327924)
Reposting on a computer hopefully fixing the "s" problem. So basically long story short I have JBL 590's as Left and Right and a 580 on its side as a center. I love the sound from music/movies, however because its in my living room, the 580 on its side is really ugly and we could all agree not the best setup. I plan on moving the JBLs into my man cave and starting over in the living room. I would love to do 1099 or htm 12 but they are never in stock. I still may wait for them but if they never come back, I was wondering what would be a good alternative to my JBLs? Things I have been considering is waiting for DIY, waiting for JBL 6 series (looks like they finally made a bigger center), emotive t2 with a refurbished c2 or waiting for the c2+, any thoughts would be welcomed, would like to stick around $1500, thanks

meh, I would just go with a mismatched center...if you want to stick with horns for the sake of "timbre matching," then maybe a Klipsch RP-450...they're going for around $400 right now, if you don't want to wait for the C2+.

valleyslim 07-22-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocs123 (Post 58328454)
HTM-12's appear to be in stock now, as do the HT-12's (the HTM's slightly cheaper cousin).

Thanks for the heads up, last time i checked they showed in stock but once i added 3 to the cart it gave me the out of stock message, it let me order 3 this time, so we shall see, i still might take everyone suggestion for my man cave, looks like i'll either get klipsch or c2+ for my center if i feel i need to in my man cave. Like i said i did like how the 580 sounded on its side it was just ugly, i could care less what it looks like in my mancave, thanks everyone