Polk S15s sound better than S50s - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 409Likes

post #361 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Yeah, it sounded good but I did not integrate it properly or position it for best sound. I just wanted to see what a sub sounds like before the return date ran out. At the time I was sure I wanted the Polk hts10. Also, I was unsure whether Geoff recommended the 8" or 10". They're the same price but 50W difference in power.

But the hts10 has many issues with auto on. I know you said other subs can have that but the hts10 does not have an always on switch. So one must turn it off and then back to auto every time.

I'd like to ask Geoff if he uses his Yamaha only for HT or music too and how it is for music. I had a thought of getting 2 of them (since they're cheap) and placing in different positions like he did. Would that be better than a single RSL?

I also still have thoughts of that sealed Kanto 8" 125W. It's got great reviews, is small and WAF friendly, and I don't need large sound for music.

Another reason I returned the Yamaha previously is I still can't believe Polk will sell a $230 speaker (s15) with a 5" woofer that can't be used itself for hi-fi stereo sound without a sub. My car doesn't have a sub, just factory speakers and gives great mid bass and bass that I can feel. How come the s15 is so flat and shrill for me when the reviews say it's great? Still racking my brains. My little Fugoo bluetooth speaker (2" woofer), Sonos One (3" woofer) have full rich sound! The Google Max was full and rich too! The s15 has no presence.

Ryan, in that Red Rooster song did you hear any bass at all, any freqs that would be played by a sub? It plays wonderfully on my car, Fugoo, and Sonos One without any need for a sub. I'm not trolling, genuinely can't understand what's going on.
The Yamaha subs, or at least my older version, is "always on" unless you turn off the power manually on the rear.

But I use my two subs with an older stereo receiver with power plugs in the back of it so both subs are powered by the same extension cord that goes to the power outlet on the back of the sub that turns off the subs when I turn off the receiver.

They are decent little subs from music and two are more than twice as good as just one and do indeed actually reach 28hz in my room despite not being within 3 feet of any walls.

I took some measurements with my SPL meter and Test tones and here is the frequency response from 80hz down to 30hz in db at some distance that I can't even recall.

80 88
70 93
60 91
50 83
40 93
30 87

While not the flattest response in the world, for the price it's not bad at all, but no, not as good as RSL but while I have money I'm not motivated at all to go out and replace them with two RSLs, (I need two as they are under end table), as they sound very good to my ear for mostly music.

They do a decent job with movies at loud volumes but certainly won't shake the windows at super loud volumes.

In your car the door cavity itself is responsible for the impressive bass that some 5 to 6 inch speakers can produce.

I'd venture the average door cavity is at least twice the size of the cabinet of the little Yamaha subs.

Larger cabinet with same driver means more bass.

The quality of the tuning done by the manufacturer determines if that bass is pleasant or obnoxious in your car.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this is intriguing. Where are the two end tables relative to the front speakers and relative to your listening position?

I can position a sub anywhere as follows:
1. To the right of the R front stereo speaker (at the front wall)
2. Between the R front speaker and the AVR console (at the front wall)
3. Between the L front speaker and the AVR console (at the front wall)
4. To the left of the L front stereo speaker (at the front L corner of the room)
5. Likely best position: between the L front speaker and me (i.e., ahead of me and to my L). This position will have 2-3' distance to any wall.

Any why do you say "I need two as they are under end table"?
I had no option to place a subwoofer near the front speakers so started with one sub under the right end table of the four person couch which is 10 feet or so from the front speakers.

Sounded OK but no question, you could tell that the sub was under the right end table so decided to order a second refurbished from A4L, (works and looks as new), and voila, much better richer bass and there is no way anywhere you were in the room that you could localize the sound of the subs as being under the end tables.

The bass sounds like it soming from everywhere/nowhere which is what you really want IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
post #363 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
A4L has it for $99. I could get two. But is positioning as simple as just being symmetric? I thought I'll have to do multiple sub crawls: one crawl for the first sub, and a crawl for the second sub for each position of the first sub.

The sub had a single input while my AVR has 2 RCA style outputs. I connected just one of the AVR sub outs to the sub. Do you use a stereo to mono adapter?
I had no choice where to place the subs and it worked out very well for me despite the restrictions.

In your case you have more options on where to place the subs, here's a link on common placement for two subs. You'd sent one RCA from your first sub out on the receiver to the first sub and the second sub out on your receiver to the second.

In my case I had to use a Y adapter but you don't have to bother.

The first sub I bought new the second from A4L and they both look and work identically.

The A4L box was a bit beat up but the refurbished sub inside was just fine.

"RECOMMENDED PLACEMENT LOCATIONS FOR DUAL SUBWOOFERS
Based on our own extensive testing, and research done by the professional audio community, we recommend the following placement options for dual subwoofer:

*opposite diagonal front/rear corners

*at the mid-points of the side walls

*front stage in the corners

*front stage flanking the center channel to the inside of the main speakers

While the first two options are proven performers with typically excellent results, they are often difficult to implement in a living/family room environment. All rooms are different, so we recommend staying flexible and trying all possible placement options for the best results."

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75040195-why-go-dual

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Ryan, in that Red Rooster song did you hear any bass at all, any freqs that would be played by a sub? It plays wonderfully on my car, Fugoo, and Sonos One without any need for a sub. I'm not trolling, genuinely can't understand what's going on.

My LFE setting is 120Hz, so the AVR will send signals from ~28Hz up to 120Hz before it starts to roll off on either end of that spectrum. So, short answer is yes. My ears aren't attuned enough to be able to discern specific frequencies, so I couldn't tell you how low.

Of course it'll sound wonderfully in your car - it's a tiny space that's more-or-less acoustically sound, and not going to be as cavernous or affected by the same things as your room. If you were to set those S15s up properly in a tiny anechoic chamber, even without a sub, you would get different results. Even the best speaker will sound bad if it's not set up/positioned well enough or if the room is just not good at all. You're also not going to get the best results by placing them 4 feet apart when you're sitting 11 feet away. You ideally want to have it so the three points (your head, and the left/right speakers) form an equilateral triangle, which means that in the perfect, ideal situation, the distance between the LR speakers should be the same as the distance to your listening position. You probably want to set them up as far apart as you can, try not toeing them in (or very slight), maybe, and have them on the same plane as your centre speaker. Or try them in a different room.

It's difficult to be able to determine what's going on because you're describing things that don't make a heck of a lot of sense. My speakers are allegedly brighter than the Signatures, and I'm not hearing any of the things you're mentioning - or at least not understanding exactly what it is you're describing to be able to pick any of it out. I know what pink/white noise sounds like, and I wasn't picking up any of that. It kind of just sounds to me like you're hearing the cymbals in those songs clearer than what you're used to hearing, but I don't really know.

Quote:
Another reason I returned the Yamaha previously is I still can't believe Polk will sell a $230 speaker (s15) with a 5" woofer that can't be used itself for hi-fi stereo sound without a sub.

This doesn't sound much like a reasonable reason to return a subwoofer if you're complaining about a lack of bass. There really isn't a bookshelf speaker out there that doesn't benefit from adding a subwoofer, and all bookshelf speakers will sound "thin" when you do an A/B comparison with/without a subwoofer. Even a $2000 bookshelf speaker will be better accompanied with a subwoofer.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 09-27-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #365 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
OK I'll have to look at my AVR's back again. I think there are two sub outputs but each sub output has 2 RCA pins, so there are 4 pins in all. To connect one sub output to a sub, I'll need a 2-to-1 adapter.
I'd be very surprised if that was the case but if it was that is what you'd have to do.

Never seen a 2 pin sub out on a common AVR.
RayGuy and Vikram Iyengar like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #366 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Quote:
Would that be better than a single RSL?
NO! The RSL has a better amp and the sub will hit harder down low. Word on the street is that it's pretty good musically as well. You can start with one and add a 2nd later. A lesson I learned the hard way is don't cheap out on the sub, especially if this is a main system.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #367 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 2635
Quote:
OK I'll have to look at my AVR's back again. I think there are two sub outputs but each sub output has 2 RCA pins, so there are 4 pins in all. To connect one sub output to a sub, I'll need a 2-to-1 adapter.
Post a pic of the back of the receiver. This is a misunderstanding of some sort. Sub out is always a single RCA jack (or two if two subs supported).
Ryan Statz and Vikram Iyengar like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #368 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 2635
Quote:
Yeah, there are 2 subouts (1 pin each), so totally 2 pins. My error. I saw it as a single RCA connection.

An RCA jack cannot be single, right? I thought RCA means one black pin and one red pin (like back of speaker).
RCA is the connector type.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #369 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, hence was thinking of RSL since though I have many positions for two subs, all but one position will be very close to a wall. There is one single position that is 2-3" from walls (to the L and front of the listening position). But only one sub can go there, hence was thinking of a single sub like RSL earlier.

Also, I heard non-ported are best for music (HT is no concern to me). The RSL pic looks sealed to me but other say it is ported??
If you don't care about HT performance a nice sealed sub would be a good option but you're looking at least $500 for something good like Rhytmik L12, A sealed Monolith M10 for the same price as the RSL could work too. If you want the best of both worlds, the ported Monolith 10 would be a good option.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38201
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39694
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html
Ryan Statz likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #370 of 504 Old 09-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm a "can only do one thing at a time" kinda guy ... I know you said to integrate everything first but I just want to nail down a good position for the fronts with respect to the walls an console first.

It could be Google and Sonos are engineering the sound out of their powered speakers to sound more rich (even if it nothing like what the artist recorded) while the AVR and s15 is just playing back the flat response, which is why it sounds lifeless to me.

I would still wait to integrate the subwoofer first before moving anything, and it would be doing one thing at a time. You may not be able to find a good position until that subwoofer is in the whole equation. So I would leave things where they are, integrate the sub, then decide after that if you need to move anything around.

That would likely be the case - I'm sure there's all kinds of bass-boosting filters and whatnot applied in those devices to make things sound fuller.

I think you might be conflating flat response with something sounding flat/dead/lifeless. Your room, and listening distance is also playing a huge part in how the S15s are sounding to you. I bet if you brought those speakers into the other room in your home that you mentioned, the S15s would sound completely different.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 09-27-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #371 of 504 Old 09-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, hence was thinking of RSL since though I have many positions for two subs, all but one position will be very close to a wall. There is one single position that is 2-3" from walls (to the L and front of the listening position). But only one sub can go there, hence was thinking of a single sub like RSL earlier.

Also, I heard non-ported are best for music (HT is no concern to me). The RSL pic looks sealed to me but other say it is ported??
The port is at the bottom in front.

Single RCA handles one channel; could be left, right or sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #372 of 504 Old 09-29-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Oh thanks Geoff, if I do get the yama, do you recommend the 8" 50W or 10" 100W. Both are the same price on Amazon. Will the larger one be less tight for music? I hate boominess.

Some subs have tow inputs (line level L and R). How does that single RCA out from the AVR connect to those subs? Using Y connector?
I only have experience with the 8" but not sure I'd get two of them for $300.

I'd get two of them for $200 from A4L as at $300 you're better off waiting till you have another $100 and get the RSL speedwoofer as you don't have to have two unlike me.

When a sub has two RCA inputs the manual clearly tells you which one to use when you are using the mono sub out RCA on AVRs and it is often labeled as LFE on the rear of the sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #373 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry Ryan, I had a spare hours over the weekend and pulled the front speakers from the 1' front wall. They're still 7' apart. Sound improved a bit. Almost all artists are cleaner except Lynyrd Skynyrd. Imaging could still be better I keep thinking. Some songs are great but on other songs, I find my head swiveling from L to R to track the sound. Feels like coming only from L or R. Not an issue with toe in. I tried all toe in angles. Even though I'm 10' from the speakers, I think I'll move them closer to be 6' apart.

More importantly, the Polk hts10 Brown is on sale for $299. I'm itching to pull the trigger. $100 is nothing and I'll gladly pay $399 or $499 if the RSL or Rhythmik will be noticeably better as to make a big difference for music. For a small difference that I may experience only on certain songs, I'd rather pay less and have the Polk's brown grain. What do you all think? Again, only music is important, not HT. The music I listen to is not audiophile music or classical, just 70s Blues and Rock, maybe some Derek Trucks. Mistake getting the Polk hts10 for the looks?

(I have a $165 gift card balance on Amazon)
With $165 gift card, you could go with the Elac 3010. It has a remote app, room correction and is a decent sub, but you do need to use the remote app to set it up. If you really want good musical performance, go with the Rhythmik L12 which is hands down the best musical performance you'll get in this price bracket. If you want to save money, but still get a decent sub, go with the RSL. If you mostly care about spending the least money possible, go with a $200 sub and hope for the best.

post #374 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, did see the ELAC 3010 but Ryan has been talking about the remote app. I dislike apps because of my Sonos experience. I guess it is the RSL. HTS10 seems to have decent reviews but only on Crutchfield, Amazon, and BestBuy not from professional reviewers or places like audioholics, AVS.
RSL has the huge advantage of free returns if not happy; that's the route I'd go.

One AVS member replaced his SVS SB1000 with an RSL and thought it not only "hit" better but sounded better as well.

YMMV.

Geoff A. J., California
post #375 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
RSL has the huge advantage of free returns if not happy; that's the route I'd go.

One AVS member replaced his SVS SB1000 with an RSL and thought it not only "hit" better but sounded better as well.

YMMV.
The SB-1000 is sealed while the Speedwoofer is ported. The RSL has the clear advantage in low end output capabilities. That may have been more what the person was looking for. For the price, the Speedwoofer is a very good option for the best of both worlds.

post #376 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just hopped on Amazon to look at the ELAC again and there are actually 4 of them: Debut 2.0 SUB3010, Debut 2.0 DS10.2, s8 Debut, Debut 2.0 SUB3030
Sub 3010 and 3030 require the remote app. The S10.2 & S8 have weak amps and don't dig down very low. If you can't afford the Rhythmik, get the RSL. Don't over analyze this and keep asking about different subs for another 75 posts. Just trust the advise and order the bloody thing.
Ryan Statz and Vikram Iyengar like this.

post #377 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The SB-1000 is sealed while the Speedwoofer is ported. The RSL has the clear advantage in low end output capabilities. That may have been more what the person was looking for. For the price, the Speedwoofer is a very good option for the best of both worlds.
Brent Butterworth may be the most respected reviewer of subwoofers and in his review of the dearly departed Emotiva BasX S12, he compared it to the RSL:

"For me, the BasX S12’s most obvious competitor is the Rogersound Labs (RSL) Speedwoofer 10S ($399).

The RSL is my reference for affordable subwoofers because it sounds great, and its output is more like what I typically measure from $600 subs. The Speedwoofer 10S has a 350W amp, a 10” driver, and a cabinet with a volume about 25% less than the Emotiva sub’s.

I compared the two at length, placing each in the same spot in turn and matching their levels.

Asking which of these two subs is better is like asking which is the better color, red or blue.

The BasX S12 did have more output in the deepest bass frequencies, but it tended to exaggerate that output somewhat.

I could generalize that the Speedwoofer 10S might be a better choice for an audiophile two-channel system, while the BasX S12 might be a better choice for a home theater..."

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/ind...-s12-subwoofer
pase22 and Vikram Iyengar like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #378 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, did see the ELAC 3010 but Ryan has been talking about the remote app. I dislike apps because of my Sonos experience. I guess it is the RSL. HTS10 seems to have decent reviews but only on Crutchfield, Amazon, and BestBuy not from professional reviewers or places like audioholics, AVS.
The 2.0 app is fine with the most recent iOS update, and I don't think that issue is even there with Android devices. FWIW, the Elac sub is really good (the S10EQ is the same as the 3010), and I have no complaints about its performance. Just be prepared to keep an older device around in case the app no longer works on newer mobile OSes.

post #379 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
OK not going to cheap out on the sub. I did read great reviews on the ELAC bookshelves earlier but cheaped out to get the Polk Signatures (also for the looks). Unhappy now with the fronts and not going to cheap out again. May even upgrade to ELAC fronts or KEFs in 2 years or sooner.
I'm not sure getting Polk Signature is "cheaping out" to be honest; they are well regarded speakers that just don't quite meet your needs.

They are certainly head and shoulders above my first sound systems and someone like yourself will likely upgrade numerous times before they reach my age of 63.

At this point I'm 100 percent happy in my main movie room and secondary music room but I was actually content before.

Replaced the speakers in my movie room as I needed towers as the cats kept knocking over the stand mount speakers, (gave the old ones to my daughter who uses them daily).

Replaced the speakers in my secondary room as my sister in law was setting up her first 5.1 system using a pair of speakers as a starter and I had three matching speakers to fill out her 5.0 needs so I gave those to her.

The sub will definitely improve things until you are ready to upgrade.

Geoff A. J., California
post #380 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK not going to cheap out on the sub. I did read great reviews on the ELAC bookshelves earlier but cheaped out to get the Polk Signatures (also for the looks). Unhappy now with the fronts and not going to cheap out again. May even upgrade to ELAC fronts or KEFs in 2 years or sooner.
As I mentioned in a previous post, take this as a learning experience. By the time you're ready to upgrade you'll have learned what you like sonically, you'll have better knowledge of placement, crossover settings, integrating the sub(s)……...etc. This forum is also a great resource for information and advice.

For now get the RSL sub and take the time to place and set it up properly. You'll be amazed how much a properly integrated sub will enhance your listening enjoyment.

post #381 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What do the Walnut KEF Q150 you got sound like for music?
I don't have them, yet. They just arrived today, but wasn't at home to receive them. I'll have to pick them up from the post office tomorrow - with any luck, later this evening.

I have been told they're on the warm side, though.

post #382 of 504 Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... on other songs, I find my head swiveling from L to R to track the sound. Feels like coming only from L or R. Not an issue with toe in. I tried all toe in angles.
That's what's supposed to happen if it's mixed that way, though. Set it to Mono if you don't like that, but then you'd be losing out on the dynamics of a lot of recordings.

Quote:
Even though I'm 10' from the speakers, I think I'll move them closer to be 6' apart.
I wouldn't do that.

post #383 of 504 Old 10-01-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll put my 2 cents in for the RSL Speedwoofer. I purchased one to use with my RSL CG23s which I use in my living room. My main Home theater in the basement has Polk Signature series S55s upfront, with S15s (side), S10 (rear) and an HTS 10 woofer. The HTS sounded good and friends that heard it thought the bass was great. I was happy with this until I tried the Speedwoofer.

I ended up using it with HTS 10 in the basement and finally moved the HTS 10 upstairs to the living room. I thought the HTS 10 sounded good (which it did) but the Speedwoofer is tighter and more musical. I like it better than my Dad's SB SVS1000 although I'd like more time to compare them.

After playing with the Speedwoofer it was much easier to blend with my speakers and HTS seemed bloated in comparison. The HTS is fine for movies and the two together shake the house. I plan to purchase another Speedwoofer as soon as I have a budget and put it in the living room but the speed woofer is staying downstairs.
gajCA and Vikram Iyengar like this.
post #384 of 504 Old 10-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks and sorry pase22, I want to get it right this time, I hate returns, and I have the $$, so a few more...
I see the SVS SB 1000 is $499 (Amazon) and the Rhythmik L12 is $549, within my budget. The RSL is $449 with wireless. Which would you choose for music with Polk Signature fronts?I'm sure the RSL will be very good and I'll like it but will the SVS or Rhythmik be a step above or a noticeable difference for music? (Not LFE). If it will make a difference that I won't notice, I'll go by cost. But if it means years of happiness, I'll get the SVS or Rhythmik.

I also see the HSU VTF-2 MK5, and VTF-1 MK3 in my budget.

I plan to get the KEF Q150 after the sub.
Doesn't matter what sub you get with your fronts - you could get either of those subs. I would choose the Rythmik, personally.

You will definitely notice a difference going from no sub to having a very capable sub (as it's been said around these parts) in the RSL, SVS or Rythmik. The HSU subs also come very highly recommended.

post #385 of 504 Old 10-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurich View Post
I'll put my 2 cents in for the RSL Speedwoofer. I purchased one to use with my RSL CG23s which I use in my living room. My main Home theater in the basement has Polk Signature series S55s upfront, with S15s (side), S10 (rear) and an HTS 10 woofer. The HTS sounded good and friends that heard it thought the bass was great. I was happy with this until I tried the Speedwoofer.

I ended up using it with HTS 10 in the basement and finally moved the HTS 10 upstairs to the living room. I thought the HTS 10 sounded good (which it did) but the Speedwoofer is tighter and more musical. I like it better than my Dad's SB SVS1000 although I'd like more time to compare them.

After playing with the Speedwoofer it was much easier to blend with my speakers and HTS seemed bloated in comparison. The HTS is fine for movies and the two together shake the house. I plan to purchase another Speedwoofer as soon as I have a budget and put it in the living room but the speed woofer is staying downstairs.
I've heard this about the RSL more than once.

Perfect for the OP's needs but AVS will try and push his budget up as that's the nature of the beast here.

OP, be aware of the crazy money KEF wants for its horizontal centers.

Mind you Accessories 4 Less sells a single Q 150 for Just $200 so, assuming you like the pair of Q150s you get, flopping on its side to use a center is just fine with KEF due to their "tweeter within the woofer" concentric design.

Geoff A. J., California
post #386 of 504 Old 10-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I don't mind the Rhythmik price at all since I don't want to upgrade again soon, i.e., I'd like the best music sub for $600 now. As for the KEF fronts and center, yep I'll research more. I don't mind the $600 center if the KEF Q150s are great. I have the $$ and would just like great sound (of course not $3000 speakers). The s30 center fits all my needs right now and I can wait a year or two to upgrade that to the KEF center. I just read that svs sb1000 is a bit dated and comparable to RSL but outperformed by Rhythmik. So I'm leaning towards Rhythmik. It also depends whether L12 will noticeably be better than the RSL in my open floor plan 13X13 room. May sound the same.

The annoying thing about audio seems to be that more $$ does not equal happiness with the sound. Cheaper warmer speakers than the Polk s15 may have worked for me. I may not be able to tell the difference between the s30 and more expensive centers. Hence, I don't know if I'll be able to tell the difference between the L12 and the RSL.
Well, IMHO a sealed Rhythmik is the best choice.

When my sealed servo 15" 1250 watt sub dies I'll replace with two 12" sealed servo Rhythmiks.

Geoff A. J., California
post #387 of 504 Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To add wireless to the L12, is the SVS wireless kit the best option?

Hey, Google says Rhythmik is located in Cedar Park, TX (20 min from my home). Is this true? I could easily visit them if they do any demos! From the grammar on their website, I assumed they were overseas.
I would fire off an e-mail to them, and arrange a time to possibly demo the L12 (at least).

post #388 of 504 Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
To add wireless to the L12, is the SVS wireless kit the best option?

Hey, Google says Rhythmik is located in Cedar Park, TX (20 min from my home). Is this true? I could easily visit them if they do any demos! From the grammar on their website, I assumed they were overseas.
Yes, the SVS is the wireless kit I'd get.

BTW, HTD is near you as well and they make fine speakers as well.

https://www.htd.com/Products/Speaker...three-speakers

Home Theater Direct, Inc.
1000 Shiloh Rd #100
Plano, TX 75074
toll free: 866-HTD-AUDIO (866-483-2834)
local: 972-312-9900
Monday-Friday 8am-6pm Central Time

Geoff A. J., California
post #389 of 504 Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks and sorry pase22, I want to get it right this time, I hate returns, and I have the $$, so a few more...
I see the SVS SB 1000 is $499 (Amazon) and the Rhythmik L12 is $549, within my budget. The RSL is $449 with wireless. Which would you choose for music with Polk Signature fronts?I'm sure the RSL will be very good and I'll like it but will the SVS or Rhythmik be a step above or a noticeable difference for music? (Not LFE). If it will make a difference that I won't notice, I'll go by cost. But if it means years of happiness, I'll get the SVS or Rhythmik.

I also see the HSU VTF-2 MK5, and VTF-1 MK3 in my budget.

I plan to get the KEF Q150 after the sub.
Keep in mind that the HSU VTF-2 MK5 will excel with HT, but can be run as a sealed sub and will perform quite well. Rhythmik are said to be excellent musical subs. if size isn't an issue get the LV12F rather than the L12 because you will appreciate the low end rumble a ported sub has to offer when you do watch movies. If you really want a sealed sub, go with the Rhythmik L22. The SVS-SB-1000 can't even compete with the other two.

I think you'll like the Q150's, especially with a good sub.

post #390 of 504 Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Keep in mind that the HSU VTF-2 MK5 will excel with HT, but can be run as a sealed sub and will perform quite well. Rhythmik are said to be excellent musical subs. if size isn't an issue get the LV12F rather than the L12 because you will appreciate the low end rumble a ported sub has to offer when you do watch movies. If you really want a sealed sub, go with the Rhythmik L22. The SVS-SB-1000 can't even compete with the other two.

I think you'll like the Q150's, especially with a good sub.
An AVS member who wanted a musical sub bought the LV12F and the L12 and preferred the latter.

Good news is the OP is near Rhythmik so can compare them side to side.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page