Polk S15s sound better than S50s - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 410Likes

post #421 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Yep.....That was suggested all the way back in post #14 of this thread. You can tweek settings, adjust eq and placement endlessly till you're blue in the face trying to get them right. If you don't like them after a few days, it's likely never going to happen.
There is only so much that speaker can give

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
There is only so much that speaker can give
It's not it's a bad speaker, but as you know we all hear differently. Klipsch are good speakers and have made many improvements over the years. They have a strong fan base, but I'm just not one of them.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #423 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9240 Post(s)
Liked: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post

After listening to Billie Eilish last night, I totally get the need for a sub. Her subs were tight, powerful and made my chest flutter uncomfortably from 50 m away, the way Blues never does. Don't tell Geoff, but Billie's subs made his 32" servo cry like a girl! Haha. Seemed to drive the teenagers wild at the concert too. We got to hang out near Matthew McConnaughey too! But his security prevented me from shaking his hand.
Music concert subs can get far far louder than any home subwoofer, (obviously), but generally are not designed for extension much below the mid 20hz range for obvious reasons.

Even subs designed for cinemas don't dig below 20hz range.

That chest punch is likely in the mid 30 range.

https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...s#.XaNWQUZKiUk

To be honest, and I"ve been to hundreds of concerts over the last 40 years, the sound mix usually sucks at rock concerts with the bass emphasis being WAY over the top.

As to getting more revealing speakers, it'll just make crappy music sources sound worse and likely won't make your movie experience exponentially better.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
To be honest, and I"ve been to hundreds of concerts over the last 40 years, the sound mix usually sucks at rock concerts with the bass emphasis being WAY over the top.
And at times the treble also

----------------
Who AM I
post #425 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
And at times the treble also
I far prefer "acoustic" sets now.

Geoff A. J., California
post #426 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I far prefer "acoustic" sets now.
Same here

----------------
Who AM I
post #427 of 505 Old 10-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Still waiting for Ryan's Q150 review. I know the Internet probably takes a while to get to Calgary :-)
Haha, I'm just lazy. Also I am waiting on a few things to arrive before I start moving things around, and I'm still undecided on where I want to place it all.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #428 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Haha, I'm just lazy. Also I am waiting on a few things to arrive before I start moving things around, and I'm still undecided on where I want to place it all.
In the meantime you could set them up to break in at low volume. Placement doesn't need to be perfect for this exercise.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #429 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Geoff, really need some advice about the front L/R bookshelves for 2.1 music. This weekend, I thoroughly tested my system using downloaded music to avoid Wi-Fi issues. The results are inexplicable and I'm beginning to think it's the source like you said, and not even the streaming service.

Some songs are great (Five Long Years by Buddy Guy on the Album "Damn Right I Got the Blues). But other songs are still hissy (Mustang Sally on the same album). Sometimes songs by the same band are great or hissy on different albums. Susie Q by Creedence is great but their Fortunate Son is cacophony.

Is this the recording quality doing this with my s15? Probably doesn't help that my music is from the 60s.
I have tons of 60s music that I sometimes listen to via iTunes on my desktop with analog out to my 1980s era NAD receiver using my Martin Logan LX16s and two small Yamaha subs and it sounds just fine, (some of it recorded in lossless from CDs and vinyl albums, but others are MP3s), though using my CD player is even better.

You know that adding a sub has advantages using a receiver with bass management, (I use a MiniDSP, not just in adding bass but adding clarity to your speakers so I'd try that first.

"Win 1. Since you are now not putting in 20 Hertz 80 Hertz into the mains you are not using up the available low frequency cone movement with bass, so the low frequency cone in your main speaker is able to play its higher frequencies (up to it’s crossover point) much more cleanly. You get an apparent 6dB or more dynamic range. You can play your system louder, and also with less compression distortion in the low frequency driver...

Win 2. Since you are not putting bass into that same driver...This means cleaner mids. By far.

Win 3. You are not sucking current out of your main power amp at low frequencies, so there is more current reserve to play those highs louder.

Win 4. Since the cones are not moving as far at the low frequencies...there is far less current draw by the speakers. "

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...udio-Subwoofer

Geoff A. J., California
post #430 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Exactly, my CDs never did this. They all sounded great. So how can it be the source unless Google Play Music is doing some extra compression? I've been waiting to set up an appointment to go visit Rhythmik but have been crazy busy with work and family duties. I think I'll just buy it online and forget about visiting them.
Oh yeah, I forgot you live near HTD with free shipping/returns on bookshelves.

May want to order a pair of their Level 3 bookshelves.

Listening to Spotify now on my LX16s and sounds fine.

Geoff A. J., California
post #431 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some songs are great (Five Long Years by Buddy Guy on the Album "Damn Right I Got the Blues). But other songs are still hissy (Mustang Sally on the same album).
Listened to both of those tracks from that album, streamed from YouTube, didn't hear what you were describing. Where were you hearing the "hiss" in Mustang Sally? Are you 100% certain that you're not just hearing normal sounds in the recordings, and mistaking that for hissing/cacophony? The only time I've heard anything close to what you've described was from a poorly-recorded live source. None of the studio-based recordings you've mentioned have had any of the things you're allegedly experiencing after listening on my system - and that's, again, listening on speakers that are notably brighter than the S15s.

I don't think the issue is the speakers at all, I think it's a combination of a few different things.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #432 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
In the meantime you could set them up to break in at low volume. Placement doesn't need to be perfect for this exercise.
I'd still have to clear out a bunch of stuff to do that, so it'd just be easier for me to wait until I have everything, then tackle it at that time. Right now I don't even have a shelf I could put the speakers on - plus I'm not convinced that break-in is anything much more than just your ears getting used to the sound.

post #433 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does Audyssey, EQ, and room correction really make a difference?
Yes. It's not just that, it's also the internal DAC, amp, power supply, etc...

Quote:
Whenever I say a song is hissy, it typically sounds like some high-freq noise drowning out vocals.
None of the vocals in my listening of those songs were drowned out by anything. What do you mean by high-frequency noise? Are you maybe able to get a recording of, say, Mustang Sally so that we *might* be able to actually hear what it is you're describing?

post #434 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Sony likely has comparable DAC, amp, and power supply to the Denon. But the Sony does not have room correction or EQ. Is just the Audyssey and EQ a good enough reason to get the Denon, i.e., will the difference be noticeable? I read many reviews saying break in is noticeable but it was not. I'm wondering if room correction will be the same.

By high-freq noise, I mean like the recording Sweet Home Chicago that meurich and you listened to on the album Live from Montreaux. By drown out I mean loss of clarity.
Room correction will indeed make a difference, However spending the money on speakers you like would be a better investment. On the other hand, a better AVR with good eq would help clean up the sound and balance out your system so can enjoy it a little more.

post #435 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My Sony likely has comparable DAC, amp, and power supply to the Denon. But the Sony does not have room correction or EQ. Is just the Audyssey and EQ a good enough reason to get the Denon, i.e., will the difference be noticeable? I read many reviews saying break in is noticeable but it was not. I'm wondering if room correction will be the same.

By high-freq noise, I mean like the recording Sweet Home Chicago that meurich and you listened to on the album Live from Montreaux. By drown out I mean loss of clarity.
What's on paper doesn't necessarily translate to actual performance. Your AVR is the Sony STR-DN1080, no? If yes, it has auto room correction.

None of that garbling I heard in the Montreaux recording was in any of the Buddy Guy recordings I listened to from the album you cited. How much is this you expecting the vocals on old recordings to be crystal clear? Because the vocal clarity in those recordings is what I would come to expect from recordings from that era.

post #436 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:

The only EQ I use in my 2.2 music system is in the MiniDSP and I just use it to eq the subs below 80hz so everything above that has zero EQ.

Sounds very good.

The 30 year old NAD receiver does have tone controls and a few other trim options, (ie. bass eq button, loudness button), but I don't use any of those but for my friends who run their LX16s using my 40 year old Sansui 881 receiver I bumped up the bass by +4db, (it is centered at 50hz), and bumped down the mids by 3db, (the receiver has a mid control centered at 1500hz), and left the treble knob in the normal center position.

Geoff A. J., California
post #437 of 505 Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I give up, man. I played the unclear songs (like Mustang Sally on my Sonos One) and no issues. Something in the stereo processing or my room is suppressing vocals and midrange while boosting cymbal-like sound. In Mustang Sally, when the backup singers sing "Ride, Sally, Ride," it's painful to me like they're screaming harshly. On the Sonos, it's musical.

I give up. It's not gonna work for me and I won't throw more $$$ at it by getting KEFs or a sub in case that doesn't work either. I'll try a soundbar from Best Buy for $1500.

HT is great, music sucks at 70% of songs.

I have the $$$ and if someone would assure me that a Denon and the Wharfdale Reva 2 or some other warmer speaker will definitely do the trick, I'm all for it but I just don't trust anything anymore.

Deeply disappointing.
Well, without physically being in your space, there's very little anyone can really do to try to pinpoint the problem, especially if things you're describing aren't present in the listening experiences on our end.

I listened to Mustang Sally again, and the background vocals weren't as you described on my end.

I do not think it's the speakers, though. My best guess right now is it's something in your AVR. What are all of the settings that you have currently in your AVR? I know it's tedious, but it might actually help in some way. Are you only driving the two S15s and S30 or do you have surrounds as well (I seem to recall you mentioning S10s, too)?

Honestly, for $1500 you can get a really good pair of speakers, a sub, and a decent Denon AVR rather than a sound bar. And others have pointed out the benefits of including a good subwoofer a number of times. I wouldn't spend money on a sound bar. A warmer-sounding speaker will certainly mellow out some of the harshness you may be experiencing with the S15s. A better AVR with more control over the EQ settings will also improve things.

post #438 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 332
This sounds a lot like a placement / room acoustics issue. Every speaker interacts with the room differently and we cant assume that every speaker will sound good in the exact same location. Some rooms take many MANY hours to setup properly.

You're friend described the bass as "not tight" which mean it's probably too close to either the back/side walls

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
post #439 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I give up, man. I played the unclear songs (like Mustang Sally on my Sonos One) and no issues. Something in the stereo processing or my room is suppressing vocals and midrange while boosting cymbal-like sound. In Mustang Sally, when the backup singers sing "Ride, Sally, Ride," it's painful to me like they're screaming harshly. On the Sonos, it's musical.

I give up. It's not gonna work for me and I won't throw more $$$ at it by getting KEFs or a sub in case that doesn't work either. I'll try a soundbar from Best Buy for $1500.

I have the $$$ and if someone would assure me that a Denon and the Wharfdale Reva 2 or some other warmer speaker will definitely do the trick, I'm all for it but I just don't trust anything anymore.

Deeply disappointing.
You did have an issue with the brightness of the S15's from the jump. Wharfdale Reva are 2 levels above the S15's and are nowhere near as bright. The Denon with XT32 would balance the speakers and sub so it would sound much better IMO. Proper placement of both speakers and sub does help as well. If placement is difficult, Kef's uni-q driver would be a good option.

Don't give up man! you've learned alot more than you think with the Polks. Try Crutchfield's speaker compare app. You can try out different speakers and get a better idea of what you like and don't like.
https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/

post #440 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Deeply disappointing.
Before you give up order some free return speakers from HTD, RSL or JBL.

If that still sounds bad then by all means get a soundbar but not sure why you would as that would sound worse than what you have now which at least sounds great for TV.

Geoff A. J., California
post #441 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Some ears are more sensitive to some things than others -- so nothing wrong with trying another set of speakers -- within the budget friendly line, there will always be some compromises -- as the audio world turns .... and yes the room and reflections do play a part

----------------
Who AM I
post #442 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If I did keep trying, this is what I'd try:

Speakers: KEF Q150 (whathifi says better at higher volume, which I don't want), Wharfedale Reva 2, ML LX16 (review on S&V or whathifi says some may find bright?), Wharfedale Diamond 220 (too cheap?), RSL CG5 (will it be warm?)
Which would be the warmest? I could order maybe 3 different pairs from Crutchfield along with an AVR and test together. If I do keep trying, I think I should test the new AVR and speakers together in case my present Sony AVR is causing the harshness issue. It may happen the Denon and XT32 totally fixes the issue.

AVR: Denon X3500H, X3600H, X4500H, whatever is on sale or less than $699
Soundbar would be a last resort for me --- I would look at the Reva and Q150 ... the Diamond 220 bass rolls off at 99/100 hz ... The RSL CG5 looks interesting, but I will not speculate about them ... if these do not work then try the ML LX16

I think that I would aim for the Reva first

----------------
Who AM I
post #443 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Reva seems to sound best to me on Crutchfield speaker compare. The ML LX16, Polk RTi A1, Polk s15 sounded brighter to me.
The RTiA series is definitely brighter than the Signature series. That's why I'm a bit perplexed regarding some of the things you're hearing in those recordings, and why I have been asking what your AVR settings are. I would have thought that the LX16s were maybe more on the neutral side, but still warmer than the S15s.

You said you have your AVR set to stock/default, but are you willing to list what those settings are? It really could result in someone pinpointing (at least in part) the cause of issues you're experiencing with the S15s - photos, even, would be fine, I think.

However, if you liked what you heard with the Revas on Crutchfield's compare app/function, you probably can't go wrong with them instead of the S15s.

post #444 of 505 Old 10-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Does RSL pay for free shipping back on the CG5 bookshelves too like the Speedwoofer?
Yes

----------------
Who AM I
post #445 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Speakers: KEF Q150 (whathifi says better at higher volume, which I don't want), Wharfedale Reva 2, ML LX16 (review on S&V or whathifi says some may find bright?), Wharfedale Diamond 220 (too cheap?), RSL CG5 (will it be warm?)
Which would be the warmest? I could order maybe 3 different pairs from Crutchfield along with an AVR and test together. If I do keep trying, I think I should test the new AVR and speakers together in case my present Sony AVR is causing the harshness issue. It may happen the Denon and XT32 totally fixes the issue.

Soundbars: Yamaha YSP-2700; Sony HTCT5000 -- I think I could get both from Best Buy and return the loser. I'm thinking of a powered soundbar because my Sonos sounds great with all my streamed music and a soundbar is a set of powered and EQ'd speakers.
On Whathifi and S&V, these 2 soundbars appear to be the closest to what I'm looking for.
Speakers: The KEF Q150s would be good, but you sort of heard what the Revas are like, so try those. In all honesty, there aren't a lot of speakers that don't sound better when you give them a bit more juice.

AVR: Since HT isn't your main focus, you probably aren't looking to future-proof yourself for the upcoming formats (i.e. 8K, HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.3, etc...), so I'd get the X3500H out of those choices or whatever is the least expensive. However, I don't think the Sony is a bad AVR, I think you just have some wonky settings (even if they're stock/default) producing some less-than-favourable results. If you can please post your AVR settings, it could save you $699. The other things about an AVR with more control over the EQ settings like any of those Denons is that it will allow you to mellow out some of the harshness you've noted about the S15s.

Soundbars: I would truly avoid the soundbars as much as possible even if you think they'd be better. No one here will ever tell you that a soundbar is better, and I would take gajCA's word that it'd sound worse than what you have right now.

And don't discount the importance of a good subwoofer. The HSU VTF people have rec'd would be a good choice, and it has the option to use it as a sealed sub, which would be great for music. As a brand new owner (it arrived today) of a HSU ULS-15 MK2, it's a damned solid sub brand.
gajCA and Vikram Iyengar like this.

post #446 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Will do. What settings do you mean? Should I type out everything?

I'd get the Sonos Playbar but it doesn't do DTS and I'm not sure what that means: will it be silent if a movie has DTS or will it at least play in stereo?
Anything related to audio. Nah, take some photos if you can - you should be able to have them display on your TV.

DTS is another audio format, just like Dolby Surround. Dolby is almost always the default, so if the Playbar doesn't have DTS, then it will simply switch to a mode it supports.

Quote:
The HTD level 3 are too big for my room and stands.
They aren't that much larger than the S15s - plus it's fine if the speaker is a little larger than the part of the stand the speaker sits on unless you're concerned about children or cats. If you had S50s in that space, the Level 3s should be fine

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 10-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #447 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
The HTD level 3 are too big for my room and stands. The RSL CG5 look very good and reviewers say warm. What JBL model you mean and which website? Can't find any bookshelves with 5" woofer.
Here is a JBL Arena 220 on sale but has 4" woofer.
https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/STUDI...3=name&start=1

Awesome JBL 530 with 5" woofers but it is on the big side so check dimensions.
post #448 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Soundbars: Yamaha YSP-2700; Sony HTCT5000 -- I think I could get both from Best Buy and return the loser. I'm thinking of a powered soundbar because my Sonos sounds great with all my streamed music and a soundbar is a set of powered and EQ'd speakers.
On Whathifi and S&V, these 2 soundbars appear to be the closest to what I'm looking for.
Try the speaker compare app, then pick the 2 or 3 you like best to try in home. Flat rate of $10 (per box) to return.
Revel Concerta
Wharfdeale Reva
Monitor audio Bronze/Silver
PSB Alpha
Focal Chorus
All very good speakers worth a listen.

post #449 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only EQ I use in my 2.2 music system is in the MiniDSP and I just use it to eq the subs below 80hz so everything above that has zero EQ.
Since upgrading to LS50's I just turn off audyssey completely for 2 channel music. Sub is crossed @ 100hz and to me it just sounds fantastic.
gajCA and Vikram Iyengar like this.

post #450 of 505 Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Here is a JBL Arena 220 on sale but has 4" woofer.
That would be the Studio 220
cocrh and Vikram Iyengar like this.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page