KLH 7.2.4 Speaker System Review: Full Immersion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
KLH 7.2.4 Speaker System Review: Full Immersion

Speakers and subs are the make-or-break components of home theater sound systems. It’s where “the rubber meets the road” and the challenge is to find the right speakers to get the most out of TV shows, movies, upmixed 2-channel music and multi-channel music. With its new speaker and subwoofer lineup, KLH Audio offers a compelling collection of high-performance speakers that both look and sound great. In this review we’ll take a look at a KLH 7.2.4 system that I used in an IMAX Enhanced home theater system.

Click here to read more...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 995
What is the point of giving out Top Choice awards if they are handed out to most tested systems?

So how is this system comparing to the other Top Choice system you posted 3 days ago?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #3 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
What is the point of giving out Top Choice awards if they are handed out to most tested systems?

So how is this system comparing to the other Top Choice system you posted 3 days ago?
This KLH system costs less overall and includes Atmos. The Kendall towers dig deeper and IMO (i.e. subjectively speaking) are as good sounding overall as the Premier 800F towers. But Paradigm does have a center channel that matches the towers better.

Paradigm X15 is a more powerful sub that digs deeper too but costs more.

It is sheer coincidence the reviews posted so close to each other.

The point... is that "Top Choice" is an enthusiastic recommendation. It's also something you can ignore, if you so choose.

Ideally all my reviews would be Top Choice products but they are not always. I'm not on a hunt for mediocre products that I am unenthusiastic about. Some other reviewer can go ahead and handle that gig (Scott Wilkinson is handing out 2-star reviews at techhive, for example). If I say yes to doing a review, I've already got a clue that the gear is decent because I check stuff out ahead of time (at a show, press event, whatever).

Specifically, if I get a "bad" product, I just send it back. Life's too short to review crap.

Anyhow I gave a "Top Choice" designation to highlight that I liked the system. And I gave it to both these reviewed speaker rigs because they are both great systems.
deafenears likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Thank you for the explanation.

It would be nice if you could publish the list of kit that didn't make the cut and why. Might help some people out there from making bad shopping decisions.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #5 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Thank you for the explanation.

It would be nice if you could publish the list of kit that didn't make the cut and why. Might help some people out there from making bad shopping decisions.
I'm not publishing a list, I'm not systematic about it. But I will share a couple examples.

First was the Fluance Signature Series towers. I was reluctant to review them because I was NOT familiar with them when the company asked if I wanted review samples. I measured them and something looked fishy. I also learned that Audioholics saw similar odd measurements. After notifying the company, the speakers were recalled and the crossover was redone and existing owners were given the opportunity to have their speakers "upgraded" to a working crossover.

Some months later, I said yes to reviewing the "fixed" versions.... however I still did not love the speakers after the crossover was fixed. https://www.avsforum.com/fluance-sig...eakers-review/

After that experience I vowed not to say "yes" to reviewing speakers I have not already auditioned.

Next up...

MarkAudio-SOTA. I had a pair of the SOTA Viotti bookshelf speakers to review. Another example where I made the mistake of saying yes to a review without a prior audition. The measurements were too uneven and on top of that the speakers did not seem to reveal anything more than far more affordable bookshelf speakers I also had on hand, and were quickly beaten in overall fidelity by the time I compared them to $500/pair bookshelf models. Considering the high cost, I found it disappointing. But boy, the wood veneer is shiny and the grill is fancy and there's black velvet and stuff!!! http://www.markaudio-sota.com/produc...series/viotti/

Subsequent auditions at high-end audio shows were disappointing and confirmed I would not have asked for a demo unit had I heard them first.

FWIW KLH is a counterpoint, I first heard 'em at CEDIA last year—in a private suite, with nobody else except the company owner and the head designer, and listened to my own music selection, and then made a specific decision to focus on its products in reviews this year, based on that positive experience.

But also... in some cases I'll say yes to speakers from a brand I'm already familiar with, without hearing them first. But that's not as common.
Mashie Saldana and OzHDHT like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2019 at 05:45 AM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I believe a superior sounding speaker in the same price range would be the SVS Prime Tower. It has a more neutral frequency response.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

Based on these measurements, the KLH also appears to have a lot of distortion around the 3khz area. Not sure if this is audible or not.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchester View Post
I believe a superior sounding speaker in the same price range would be the SVS Prime Tower. It has a more neutral frequency response.

Based on these measurements, the KLH also appears to have a lot of distortion around the 3khz area. Not sure if this is audible or not.

The reported 25hz +/- 3db as advertised seems problematic also, as according to the graphs as measured at the NRC it's down 13db at 30hz.

Denon X-4300 | Onkyo M-282 | Audio Technica AT-LP3 | HTPC |
Polk RTiA3 x 6 - RTiA6 x 1 - Polk Atrium 5 x 4 | PSA 15s | PSA XS30
Epson HC 2100 | 100" Elite Screen |
post #8 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
Quote:

The reported 25hz +/- 3db as advertised seems problematic also, as according to the graphs as measured at the NRC it's down 13db at 30hz.
I believe the sub bass frequencies in those measurements are actually inaccurate. So the speakers probably do play lower than they suggest.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
In-room, post room correction (with room gain lending a hand) Kendall does just fine in the 20s...

The overall response does bear close resemblance to that NRC measurement in shape but they don't accurately describe the bass you get in practice.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In-room, post room correction (with room gain lending a hand) it does just fine in the 20s...

That's fair, but when they posted the 25hz +/- 3db spec they didn't qualify it with 'when taking into account room gain and after a boost from room correction' ...

Denon X-4300 | Onkyo M-282 | Audio Technica AT-LP3 | HTPC |
Polk RTiA3 x 6 - RTiA6 x 1 - Polk Atrium 5 x 4 | PSA 15s | PSA XS30
Epson HC 2100 | 100" Elite Screen |
post #11 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
That's fair, but when they posted the 25hz +/- 3db spec they didn't qualify it with 'when taking into account room gain and after a boost from room correction' ...
To be fair, I see no boosting there by Audyssey in the deep bass, just EQ cuts to compensate for that room gain.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
In-room, post room correction (with room gain lending a hand) Kendall does just fine in the 20s...

The overall response does bear close resemblance to that NRC measurement in shape but they don't accurately describe the bass you get in practice.
Are you applying Audyssey room correction to the entire frequency range? If so, have you tried taking gated measurements before and after Audyssey is applied? Because room correction above the room transition frequency, based on non-gated in-room measurements, will produce unpredictable results.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Are you applying Audyssey room correction to the entire frequency range? If so, have you tried taking gated measurements before and after Audyssey is applied? Because room correction above the room transition frequency, based on non-gated in-room measurements, will produce unpredictable results.
No I did not take gated measurements, but as a rule I don't apply room EQ above Schroeder, that's why I use the Audyssey app because I used to depend on Dirac Live for that. In the meantime I have moved to a new apartment and returned the speakers so no chance I'm busting out REW for follow-up measurements. But then again, I'm not doing technical reviews, which I presume you have ascertained at this point. I do appreciate the NRC charts when they are specific to the actual speaker I reviewed, as opposed to extrapolations.

I posted that chart to convey how overall these speakers do well in the deep bass range and I happened to notice how closely the measurements tracked the NRC chart.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:

Neutral doesn't mean you'll like the sound, speakers are as much art as they are science. A good speaker designer does a lot of listening. Loudspeakers are voiced and the numbers won't tell you that.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 08-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Neutral doesn't mean you'll like the sound, speakers as as much art as they are science. A good speaker designer does a lot of listening. Loudspeakers are voiced and the numbers won't tell you that.
Some people like colored sound. However, that preference is usually reduced after spending some time with uncolored speakers. Not always, but usually.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #16 of 22 Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Some people like colored sound. However, that preference is usually reduced after spending some time with uncolored speakers. Not always, but usually.
Thread derailment in 5...4...3...2...1...
Soulburner and tenthplanet like this.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
There is some truth to that, audiophiles have argued about this even before wide spread internet adoption.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #18 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 789
I sure hope the picture of the system is a stock photo. No way the center should be set back on the shelf like that.

Spoiler!
post #19 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
I sure hope the picture of the system is a stock photo. No way the center should be set back on the shelf like that.
My photo, but yes a "stock" photo so to speak... I was setting the system up when I shot that image and the screen is actually resting on the center channel speaker because I had not yet fully secured it to the wall. I pulled the speaker forward when I ran room correction, after affixing the screen.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #20 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I honestly didnt know KLH was still in business. If I remember correctly, 25 years ago KLH made very inexpensive speakers, something you'd buy at Walmart.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
I honestly didnt know KLH was still in business. If I remember correctly, 25 years ago KLH made very inexpensive speakers, something you'd buy at Walmart.
Not really the same company, new owner and new products. More like a rebirth of the "old" KLH.
tenthplanet likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #22 of 22 Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Thumbs up

Quote:
First was the Fluance Signature Series towers. I was reluctant to review them because I was NOT familiar with them when the company asked if I wanted review samples. I measured them and something looked fishy. I also learned that Audioholics saw similar odd measurements. After notifying the company, the speakers were recalled and the crossover was redone and existing owners were given the opportunity to have their speakers "upgraded" to a working crossover.

Some months later, I said yes to reviewing the "fixed" versions.... however I still did not love the speakers after the crossover was fixed. https://www.avsforum.com/fluance-sig...eakers-review/

After that experience I vowed not to say "yes" to reviewing speakers I have not already auditioned.
Wow, I was considering those speakers until I saw your reviews of the Mackie c200's, Behringer B215XL's and Monoprice 15's. I ended up getting the Rockville SPG88's @ $92 a pair.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
klh , klh kendall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page