Credibility of "Professional" Speaker Reviews dealt a Death Blow - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 354Likes

post #61 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8985 Post(s)
Liked: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by aats View Post
Why not?
They mentioned a lot of times that the best way of bass management is multisub. And that speakers with different bass are harder to compare.
so why not compare them with best bass option available connected to both?

I can only see a situation where you want to compare speakers without any bass management like a pair for stereo.
I don't believe the NRC uses subs in its testing.

The recommendation of multiple subs in pairs, (ie. 2, 4, 6 etc.), was something that Floyd Toole himself recommends, not sure that is an official NRC position if they have a position at all.

And to make matters even more controversial, (not for me but for many on AVS), Toole recommends pairs of sealed subs, not ported.

At least that was my interpretation from his musings in that "how to choose a loudspeaker" thread.

I certainly don't claim to have read every one of his posts in that thread though.

And I don't own a single Harman product and at the moment likely won't as I'm satisfied with my two non Harman setups!

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
- All reviews are nothing more than opinion, who hope opinion with wide and deep experience, but opinion none the less. This applies to Audio Magazine, YouTube reviews, and Forum comments or reviews ... just an opinion.
Agree with everything you've said, except for this. There are several reviewers who take an objective approach, especially when it comes to measurements, such as Soundstage, Stereophile, and Audioholics. Others such as Average Joe Audiophile and Joe And Tell at least use measurements to ground their reviews, while many others are purely subjective impressions. So we need to differentiate between the types of reviews.
post #63 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9081 Post(s)
Liked: 16024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Agree with everything you've said, except for this. There are several reviewers who take an objective approach, especially when it comes to measurements, such as Soundstage, Stereophile, and Audioholics. Others such as Average Joe Audiophile and Joe And Tell at least use measurements to ground their reviews, while many others are purely subjective impressions. So we need to differentiate between the types of reviews.
Small correction... Stereophile reviewers typically don't measure, but measurements are part of every review. That formula has served that publication well. But, you still get hugely subjective reviews out of Stereophile, despite the measurements.

By contrast, Gene over at Audioholics does not mess around, he's definitely a strong advocate of putting science and objective measurements directly in the main review.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I don't believe the NRC uses subs in its testing.

The recommendation of multiple subs in pairs, (ie. 2, 4, 6 etc.), was something that Floyd Toole himself recommends, not sure that is an official NRC position if they have a position at all.
Right, and that was built on work by Welti and Geddes. Incredibly important work that I use today, with the help of this forum. My audio experience wouldn't be the same without it.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #65 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Right, and that was built on work by Welti and Geddes. Incredibly important work that I use today, with the help of this forum. My audio experience wouldn't be the same without it.
Thanks, had to look that up and found this.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...devantie-html/

Interestingly one of the authors has a three sub approach.

"Geddes Approach
Earl Geddes, of GedLee LLC, has come up with a slightly different take on the multiple subwoofer approach. The basic approach is to integrate three additional subwoofers into a system such that there are multiple low frequency sources in the room, each of which interacts with room modes in a different manner. The first sub is placed in a corner. The location second and third sub is determined empirically through trial and error, viewing the impact of the adjustments on a high resolution frequency response chart.

Further details on the methodology can be found on this page.

For a single listener there is less of a requirement to use multiple subs to get smooth bass response since we can heavily equalize the response at the listening position as explained in our earlier article ‘Room Correction: A Primer’."

Geoff A. J., California
post #66 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Although Soundstage houses possibly the largest repository of objective measurements (which is a huge benefit to everyone in this hobby), I find many of their reviews to be quite subjective. For example, reviews that praise speakers that do not measure well. I recall a review of a Totem speaker which had poor anechoic measurements, but the conclusion was that it was a great speaker. I don't think the reviewer mentioned the measurements at all. Perhaps they measurements are done after the fact.
post #67 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchester View Post
Although Soundstage houses possibly the largest repository of objective measurements (which is a huge benefit to everyone in this hobby), I find many of their reviews to be quite subjective. For example, reviews that praise speakers that do not measure well. I recall a review of a Totem speaker which had poor anechoic measurements, but the conclusion was that it was a great speaker. I don't think the reviewer mentioned the measurements at all. Perhaps they measurements are done after the fact.
I think in some cases that is indeed the case.

Some reviews mention a link to measurements and others say something like "so and so has since sent off the speakers for measurements."

Geoff A. J., California
post #68 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
More political comments removed. This time, infractions issued. Next time, suspensions. Please don't make work for us.

And if you have any questions, PM us. We're reasonable and are happy to explain. Keep this thread about, well, THE TOPIC.
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-11-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #69 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
It would be fair to say that PrimeTime exaggerated the NUMBER / percentage.

However, he did *not* exaggerate the general TONE---usually triumphalist and dogmatic-sounding---of various posters who love to refer to F.O.T.'s work right before trotting out their usual "just go buy JBL or Revel speakers, end of story" jingle.

The tendency towards smugness/bombast is undeniable, IMO...and if some people suspect that some of these folks might be shill "influencers," who can blame them?
It sounds like you are especially annoyed by a small subset of those who believe in the fundamental science. The majority who believe in the science aren't dogmatic about favoring JBL or Revel over other brands that use the best available scientific methods to develop their speakers. The science didn't originate at Harman but was pioneered at the National Research Center, the government of Canada's largest research facility, for the benefit of any speaker company that wanted to take advantage of it. Many speaker companies have done just that. Harman was simply one of the first and made the biggest investment in research facilities to replicate and further develop the work started at NRC. If one believes in the science then one would have a natural tendency to believe that companies that best employ the science in development would produce better than average speakers. The "my speaker is better than yours" one-upmanship is best left to the fanboys.
Vergiliusm and gajCA like this.
post #70 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The "my speaker is better than yours" one-upmanship is best left to the fanboys.
Don't tell anyone but Zorba's newest set of speakers.......................................... .............................................measu re very well!

Geoff A. J., California
post #71 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7100 Post(s)
Liked: 5403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
If one believes in the science then one would have a natural tendency to believe that companies that best employ the science in development would produce better than average speakers.
Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised if Bose engineers have just as much scientific knowledge as JBL/Revel ones, but their marketing/sales department overrules them as a matter of policy. I suspect this dynamic can be found at most companies, just on a far less egregious scale.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #72 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Don't tell anyone but Zorba's newest set of speakers.......................................... .............................................measu re very well!
lol, the funny thing is that I never actually perused the measurements on the BMRs before deciding to get them, other than a quick glance at the FR chart on the Philharmonic website way way back when.

What actually sold me on them was having listened to the Ascend Sierra 2 and loving its RAAL tweeter, and thinking that the BMR offers the same tweeter in a 3-way design in a bigger cabinet offering an extra 10-20Hz of mid-bass extension for about the same price...how could it possibly not be good, was my unscientific conclusion.

In addition to the unanimous rave reviews of them by actual users including a number of AVS members whose taste I trust, again utterly unsupported by "science."

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

Last edited by Zorba922; 08-11-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #73 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised if Bose engineers have just as much scientific knowledge as JBL/Revel ones, but their marketing/sales department overrules them as a matter of policy. I suspect this dynamic can be found at most companies, just on a far less egregious scale.
Harman is Samsung so hey, just buy a Samsung soundbar and be done with it! In other news I've seen soundbars measure "better" than just about any speaker in terms of linearity. That's the beauty of a full-range driver and some EQ, or at mid/bass driver plus tweeter and active amplification that lets you really nail the crossover without the costs associated with hardware! Thanks Bose (for being a pioneer in this approach to sound).

Anyhow nothing can beat the product placement deal Bose has with the NFL for consumer exposure and visibility of the brand. All other audio companies are jealous!

I somehow doubt the Bose 901 was the sales/marketing folks overruling anyone. I think Bose recognizes (typical) audio consumers look for other qualities aside from a faithful fidelity to the source and designs for that. I also think it's been so long since Bose has been a real player in the speaker business that it's anachronistic to bring it up in that context. The company now makes serviceable soundbars plus speakers and some decent ANC headphones that sell for a bit of a premium but are for the most part competent and innoffensive and widely available.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #74 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Anyhow nothing can beat the product placement deal Bose has with the NFL for consumer exposure and visibility of the brand. All other audio companies are jealous!
In this world, Satan always wins...at least until the Second Coming!
Lp85253 likes this.

post #75 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I somehow doubt the Bose 901 was the sales/marketing folks overruling anyone..
I have fond memories of my Bose 901s series II from the 80s.

For the day they kicked butt with Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, Supertramp et al via vinyl.

And they did a nice job in 2.0 with my first HiFi VCR; an early adopter JVC HR-D725U unit that set me back $1275 in 1984 IIRC.

$3100 in today's dollars.

I did wish for a bit more treble from the 901s though!

Geoff A. J., California
post #76 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 2960
Quote:
Well of course when developing speakers it's optional for any company to employ or ignore the basic science that they all have access to. That's why I specified "companies that best employ the science in development." Much of the original scientific research started at the NRC has been codified in ANSI/CEA 2034, Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers, which I would think would be commonly employed by many of the better speaker companies.

You recommend a number of different speakers on this forum. How would you rate those brands in terms of applying the best available science in the development of their speakers?
post #77 of 169 Old 08-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
In addition to the unanimous rave reviews of them by actual users including a number of AVS members whose taste I trust, again utterly unsupported by "science."
The design of the speaker is very much supported by science. I don't think it's a coincidence that there were many rave reviews by AVS members whose taste you trust.
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #78 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
In addition to the unanimous rave reviews of them by actual users including a number of AVS members whose taste I trust, again utterly affirming and validating the NRC/Toole/Harman "science."
Fixed that quote to be more accurate. I think Audioholics referred to them as some of the best measuring speakers they'd ever done with their spins.

Good news for Zorba, the black helicopters will show up soon to deliver his large check and a couple of pallets of free Revel Speakers for being such a shill. Job well done.
post #79 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I trust Amazon reviewers
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #80 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 156
After awhile it becomes self evident that the review industry is just another business not too detached from advertising. In terms of the big picture (not just A/V), it exists on multiple different scales - which is why the general public has a difficult time grasping how the system works. It's a complex web of networking, backrubbing, and incentives. On one end we have armies of affiliate marketers (on Youtube and elsewhere) who get paid to review products sent to them for free and more often than not they aren't even shy about it. If I were sent a product for free and got paid more to incentivize users to click on the affiliate link - I'd have a hard time giving an honest opinion. On the other hand we have a vast array of professional review publications which not only receives funding from the same conglomeration that funds the products they review, but will also simultaneously sell and promote advertising of the very products they're reviewing (e.g. Gamespot's Kane & Lynch scandal). I won't go as far to say that all reviewers are charlatans that are purely in it for the money. Personally I find Audioholics, for example, very informative. On the flipside, we have obnoxious corporate profiteers like Steve Guttenberg. Just have to take everything with a grain of salt and try to look into as many opinions as possible before making up your mind on something.
Zorba922, Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.
post #81 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
After awhile it becomes self evident that the review industry is just another business not too detached from advertising. In terms of the big picture (not just A/V), it exists on multiple different scales - which is why the general public has a difficult time grasping how the system works. It's a complex web of networking, backrubbing, and incentives. On one end we have armies of affiliate marketers (on Youtube and elsewhere) who get paid to review products sent to them for free and more often than not they aren't even shy about it. If I were sent a product for free and got paid more to incentivize users to click on the affiliate link - I'd have a hard time giving an honest opinion. On the other hand we have a vast array of professional review publications which not only receives funding from the same conglomeration that funds the products they review, but will also simultaneously sell and promote advertising of the very products they're reviewing (e.g. Gamespot's Kane & Lynch scandal). I won't go as far to say that all reviewers are charlatans that are purely in it for the money. Personally I find Audioholics, for example, very informative. On the flipside, we have obnoxious corporate profiteers like Steve Guttenberg. Just have to take everything with a grain of salt and try to look into as many opinions as possible before making up your mind on something.
Think of it this way... Professional movie reviews are often harsh because all you have to do to review a movie is buy a ticket. The studios can't stop a reviewer from going to a theater. Same for restaurant reviews.

But face it, with borrowed expensive audio gear you will quite possibly just wind up on a blacklist if you are persistently critical. Not just blacklisted for advertising but for reviews, period.

What's missing from this discussion, but I can tell you is a real thing, is companies are approached by fraudulent reviewers and questionable influencers. Scammers and posers. So who to trust in terms of sending out review samples is tricky and if you are a small company making pricey products you really need to get that right or else you might wind up in debt. And even if a reviewer is legit, if their audience is small then what good is the review aside from grabbing selected quotes and using them in advertising? Not much.

I must repeat: The idea that an ad-supported publication would turn down an ad contract from a company that made a product that got a positive review from that publication is a recipe for bankruptcy in an industry where publications are in fact going bankrupt.

Anyhow, nothing beats the shennanigans of "high end audio" for adsurd examples that are more science fiction than professional reviews. Crystalline Quantum Synergy for the win!!!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-12-2019 at 04:41 AM.
post #82 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
I have Tekton's

But I have to admit, I was very skeptical about all these rave reviews from the "professionals" who work with magazines. Now as I go back on these reviews, just looked up a couple, I must say the first thing that entered my mind was :

- Did Tekton pay these reviewers for all the great "Wow", "Amazing" "Best Speakers I've ever heard" , "These $3,000 DI's beat $150,000,000,000, built speakers"

Then, now I wonder this from people that bought Tekton speakers off those reviews

1. Are the speakers good but those who bought simply went with the flow? Afraid to go against the grain of the "professional" for the sake of looking foolish with the Amateur vs. Professional look

2. Did some of the "buyers" get a free set to rave about the speakers?

The only reason I say this, is because I have the speakers, they are good but I would say based on the reviews, IMO, the reviews are exaggerated to some degree.

I did read a few "amateur" reviews of people who bought Tekton speakers, ddin't like them, and they basically were crucified to the Speaker cross by Tekton owners.

Like a few people said---The Tekton Drama is reality for some odd reason.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************
*Just yesterday owner of Erik of Tekton posted this rebuttal on Facebook*

Tekton Owners: I just reposted the following to the suspect YouTube Impact Tower review this morning after it mysteriously disappeared after I posted it last night.

I believe this review is scandalous for a few key reasons and anyone attempting to discern the quality of the product under review, the Tekton Design Impact should be suspect. Listed below are a few key reasons and points (there are more coming) for the viewer of this video to be suspect:

First: at 19:55 in the video a dreadful Tekton Impact loudspeaker impedance curve purported to be acquired with a Clio Pocket appears in the video; all of its measurement settings are clearly visible - the settings are located at the bottom of the graph. Next, for comparison purposes the reviewer places two back-to-back images of an Elac B6.2 loudspeaker Impedance curve; it is key to note the reviewer has clearly concealed the impedance measurement settings on both Elac B6.2 images in the video. Draw your own conclusion.

Second: the reviewers purported Clio Pocket impedance plot and the small spiked ripples he's pointing out in the video would be virtually impossible (I'll say impossible) to create with common electro-acoustical transducers and passive components. Anyone skilled in the art and science of electro-acoustical physics would immediately point out the fact that it's just not possible to even intentionally design a loudspeaker with this identical impedance plot. The cabinet would require precisely tuned small breather holes, i.e., air leaks in it and the inductors required to produce the tiny spikes at these very low frequencies [30Hz] at this level of low resistance [4.75 Ohms] including the series resistance of the known 4 Ohm woofer used in the system would likely not even fit in a wheelbarrow. I say a wheelbarrow because one would be needed to haul around the bulk of the copper wire inductors required for this alone and the copper would easily weigh in at a few hundred pounds. As someone skilled in the art and science of electro-acoustical data acquisition, I believe the truthful explanation for the small spiked ripples in the Tekton Impact loudspeaker rests in some other domain than the loudspeaker. I have my theories and I will refrain from sharing them publically at this time.

Third: in the science and art of electro-acoustical data acquisition it is well-known that impedance curves do not reflect and/or expose a loudspeakers cabinet strengths or it's integrities. This is important to note because the reviewer was quick and eager to make the leap, assessment, and conclusion the Tekton Impact had serious "resonance issues" because the reviewer had simply made a Clio Pocket Log Chirp induced impedance sweep. Loudspeakers simply don't work or measure like this. For example, someone skilled in the art and science of loudspeaker design could easily produce an exceptional Clio Pocket impedance plot of a 2-way or 3-way loudspeaker simply constructed from corrugated paper, i.e., a cardboard box. We're planning to do this early next week and we plan to publish the measurement results in a video.

Fourth: based upon a highly suspect horrific (I say impossible to even intentionally design let alone accidentally create) Clio Pocket Log Chirp impedance plot the reviewer makes the leap, assessment, and conclusion the Tekton Impact loudspeaker contains significant cabinet resonance, internal bracing, and damping shortcomings. The facts are: 1. this is not discernible through a simple single Clio Pocket Log Chirp impedance measurement. 2. the Tekton Impact enclosure contains a total of 59 pounds of wood and utilizes 10 separate proprietary internal bracing components within its design. Simply put the Tekton Impact loudspeaker is solid, airtight, and robust. 3. this type of assessment can only be accurately revealed through accelerometer measurements. Accelerometer measurements are easy and rudimentary. Why didn't the reviewer do an accelerometer test as Sterophile does on all of its loudspeaker reviews? I have my theories about this too and I will refrain from sharing them publically at this time.

I believe the most important answer everyone needs to hear from this reviewer is why the Tekton Impact Clio Pocket Log Chirp impedance settings are clearly visible and why the Elac B6.2 Clio Pocket impedance settings are clearly concealed.

I welcome your input and comments.

Respectfully,

Eric Alexander - audio designer

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #83 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
I have Tekton's

Like a few people said---The Tekton Drama is reality for some odd reason.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************
*Just yesterday owner of Erik of Tekton posted this rebuttal on Facebook*

Tekton Owners: I just reposted the following to the suspect YouTube Impact Tower review this morning after it mysteriously disappeared after I posted it last night.

Wow, that IS a lot of drama. Considering the drama, I don't think I'm gonna be reviewing Tekton speakers anytime soon, lol.

I also have my answer whether I should quit my job and go beg people to give me money for reviews through Patreon instead. Lololol. I'd rather dig ditches for a living.
mpk1970 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-12-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #84 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
Fixed that quote to be more accurate. I think Audioholics referred to them as some of the best measuring speakers they'd ever done with their spins.

Good news for Zorba, the black helicopters will show up soon to deliver his large check and a couple of pallets of free Revel Speakers for being such a shill. Job well done.
Audioholics has its own biases and suspect affiliations. Over ten years ago I got kicked off their forums when I pointed out that all the receivers in their "recommended systems" lists were from two massive companies that advertised prominently on their website.

Again, the infantile need for perceived certitude as supplied by the perceived "authorities" or "experts" is the prime ENABLING factor. What's true in political and religious fanaticism applies in this hobby/industry as well.

Real ADULTS fully understand that in reality, nobody really knows anything and everybody is just making things up as they go along and most "adults" are really just kids with credit cards anyhow.

post #85 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
not all of the JBL and Revel owners are in the scientific kool-aid camp. I find it interesting and compelling what Harman has done, but I fully support that there are other wonderful speakers that sound great in all price ranges.
Good for you! Methinks the best rule to always keep in mind is that there are always exceptions to every rule.
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #86 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I trust Amazon reviewers
It helps to use the "Fakespot" add-on browser extension when shopping Amazon. (Works on Yelp, too.)

post #87 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

2. I get paid a salary, not per review. But I can see how for a freelancer, a larger paycheck could be a motivator to "sweeten" a review. But in the end, ethics are what matter. [my bold added]

7. Influencers are a whole different situation. But I will tell you this, if I had a million followers on YouTube and the income that kind of audience can generate, I would in fact quit my day job. Alas, I don't think I'm cute or funny enough.
But would you be happy being an "influencer"? What they do is rent out their mouth to the highest bidder.
post #88 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
@imagic If I see you at the local cemetery digging I know what has happened in your career LOL
imagic and BufordTJustice like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #89 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
But would you be happy being an "influencer"? What they do is rent out their mouth to the highest bidder.
Not for anything AV, no. Beer is another story. If I could be a beer influencer...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #90 of 169 Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Not for anything AV, no. Beer is another story. If I could be a beer influencer...
You are conflating influencer with influenced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page