Speaker Level (Post Amp) High-Pass Filter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Red MC

post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Speaker Level (Post Amp) High-Pass Filter

Hello,

I am trying to find a Speaker Level High-Pass Filter so that I can cut out frequencies below 70-80 hz.

I have a Martin Logan 15 Bookshelves, Motion 35XT Center and Martin Logan IC 6.5 in the ceiling. I have a REL T9/I Subwoofer.

My Rel subwoofer is getting the speaker level input off of the left and right channel as well as the LFE input.

I want to filter my left and rights so that they they do not get the <70hz frequencies so I do not damage them and get cleaner sound but keep the low frequency speaker inputs going to the REL T9/i - so I have to run the AVR in FULL for those speakers.

I have found some RCA line level crossovers but can not seem to find one that works after it has been amplified between AVR and Speaker.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2499
You need a 5.1 receiver. Look for older used models in your area. By the time you play around with various connectors/processors (i.e. a jury-rigged solution) it'll cost just as much and be far less easy to use. Older Yamaha equipment might be the best option, as they last forever. 5.1 has been around for a long time, you should be able to find one cheap.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I completely agree with Rayguy, a decent 5.1 reciever will do the trick. You mentioned ceiling speakers, presuming those are surrounds? You may just not understand that your current AVR should do that function or you may have an AVR that won't do it (although I'm unfamilliar with such a thing). All Dolby Digital era and forward AVRs should include bass management which will steer the audio below whatever the crossover value is for that particular speaker to the LFE channel. This holds through all the way to today. I have a 13 channel surround setup (overkill, but fun) and my AVR (marantz 7702 MKII) directs the <80 hz for my large mains, the <100 hz for my surrounds, and the <120hz for my atmos ceiling speakers all to my large subs in combination with the LFE track. You need to be sure the low pass filter is high enough to accomodate the highest high pass filter setting for a speaker. For example in my setup I would need my low pass on the sub output to be set for 160hz or so to accomodate my atmos speakers that are high passed at 120hz.

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha AVRs, but the Onkyo and especially integra AVRs are quite good and will handle this type of bass management.

I also really liked the B&K preamps and amps, especially the Ref 50 and Ref 70 hardware. I believe the last generations had HDMI. They are out of business so some deals can be had.

If you aren't bargain hunting then any modern AVRs (Yamaha, Dennon/Marantz, Anthem, Onkyo/Integra etc..) should do what you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
You need a 5.1 receiver. Look for older used models in your area. By the time you play around with various connectors/processors (i.e. a jury-rigged solution) it'll cost just as much and be far less easy to use. Older Yamaha equipment might be the best option, as they last forever. 5.1 has been around for a long time, you should be able to find one cheap.
I have a 7.1 receiver; Marantz 5008.

I'm looking for a crossover because I'm running the left and right mains in FULL (not using the crossover in the AVR); because I'm running both the left and right mains and the REL T9/i subwoofer is in parallel to take speaker level input off the left and right channel. This is by design and how REL operates best.

I'm looking for an additional speaker line high-level crossover to filter after the AVR/AMP and before the speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

However, if there is no way to take the bass out of the mains using this method, then it isn't such a good approach. Find a way to use the sub out. If you must have a high level input(s) for the REL, then run the sub out to a small amp or use a "y" connector to a stereo amp, if you need two channels. The power is irrelevant, as the sub is just stripping the signal and amplifying it itself.

You could use this, for instance (a screaming deal at this price), and not lose any sound quality in the transition:

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Aud...SIN=B078H7ZP8T

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thats not how Eels work. They have both hi-level and low level inouts with seperate colume control.

It uses the amplification of the receiver to keep the same character as thr amped signal for the rest of the audio channels.

REL has a unique sound ans isma favorite for people who want 'musical' subs.

I could use just the low level inputs and let thr AVR do bass management but that would defeat the purpose of the REL.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I looked at the REL directions, they specifically state that the main speakers should also receive the full signal.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes but my motion 15s only go 70-16k so I need tondinner the mains! Or bybfull range speakers.

So is there no crossover that works on speajler level inputs? Does this not exist?

I coukd use the separate amokifier but that would probably not meet thr goal of meetings characteristics if the main appkification and signal processing.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe the folks in the DIY section can help you build one?

post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 202
A passive speaker level crossover with a corner frequency suitable for a subwoofer is impractical. You would need really big iron core inductors that would be difficult to source off the shelf. The crossover would be big and heavy and potentially limit power handling. Also, the results could be a little unpredictable due to interaction with the complex speaker impedance and amplifier output impedance.

For home theater, I'd set the speakers to small and use the receiver's crossover. For stereo music listening, you could try pure direct mode, which skips the crossover in the receiver. The front L&R speakers would run full range, and the crossover on the REL can be set to match the roll-off of the front L&R, just as REL intended. You could switch out of direct mode for movies, which will then filter the front L&R speakers so they are not over-driven, and the bass in those channels will get to the sub via the line input. I'm not the biggest fan of REL, but it's nice that they are able to mix the high level and low level inputs together.
RayGuy likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page