Sub Calibration Question please - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I have a contrary view about setting the crossover points below the automatically set values.

I haven't used AccuEq specifically, but in my experience automated calibration tools aren't very good at detecting the low frequency cut-off point. They are easily fooled by room modes and cancellation nulls. So I always set the crossover points manually.

A rule of thumb that seems to work well for me is to set the crossover frequency one octave above the loudspeaker's lower extension limit, but not higher than 100 Hz. The rationale for the one-octave-higher rule is to allow the crossover to work per it's designed slopes. If you set the crossover frequency close to the limit of the speaker's bass extension, the slope of the combined high-pass roll-off will be steeper than the corresponding low-pass applied to the sub. If you can't or don't want to measure them, take the manufacturer's stated -3 dB point and double it. That will be close enough unless the manufacturer really embellishes their specs. Following this rule of thumb, for most large floorstanders I would start with the crossover around 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on how low they go. For smaller floorstanders, it would be 60-70 Hz. For most stand-mounted speakers, 80-90 Hz.

I don't like to go higher than 100 Hz because the subs become easy to localize. My surround speakers are good down to 55-60 Hz, so I started with the crossover at 120 Hz. But I prefer 100 Hz to minimize the lower midrange sounds that leak through the subs. I cut off the LFE channel at 100 Hz also for the same reason. I think it's especially important not to use too high of a crossover frequency with the center channel, otherwise you may be able to hear dialogue coming out of your sub.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not meaning to hijack thread, but seems to be related. Thanks to this thread, it got me thinking. (Dangerous, I know.lol) With sub gain adjustments, I've only ever used the physical knob and sub level in speaker calibration. I've never adjusted LFE in audio settings. When I have only a stereo source, my reciever is correctly leveled at +7db and sounds great. Any multichannel source has an incredibly loud sub level. Well, it's exactly +10db too loud. That makes sense because DD has/or used to have a +10db LFE. Since I almost exclusively use multichannel sources, I've always just lowered the sub level -10db. My response above got me thinking, isn't that exactly what LFE is for. Sure enough, it's in increments of -10s. Ok, here's the kicker. Lowering the LFE to -~(infinite symbol) verses lowering the main sub gain sounds completely different, but sounds just like the stereo source. Lowering the LFE causes the end result to have more lower frequencies pushing through at balanced level verses adjusting the reciever sub gain.
What's going on with this to cause such a difference? I always assumed both were same type of gain control.

Last edited by xplizit; 08-13-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #33 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 03:25 PM

The LFE channel is separate from the other channels. When you're adjusting the LFE level, you are only affecting content in the LFE channel. When you're adjusting the sub gain, you're affecting content in the LFE channel AND the bass from any other channels where the speaker type is set to "small".

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Excellent explanation for using robust Main Speakers....but for best Transient Response, you should avoid 12-in and larger Mains and let the Big Sub-Woofer do what it what designed to do.
post #35 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
The LFE channel is separate from the other channels. When you're adjusting the LFE level, you are only affecting content in the LFE channel. When you're adjusting the sub gain, you're affecting content in the LFE channel AND the bass from any other channels where the speaker type is set to "small".
So does the -~(infinity symbol) null any boosts to that channel, as in it would just be the direct LFE signal? It's the only setting that reproduces the same bass levels and frequencies in multichannel sources verses Stereo.

Edit: I may be overthinking this a bit, but does that also mean that, say I have my L/C/R set at 40hz crossover, anything below that crossover point is, of course, sent to subwoofer with the LFE signal as well. Would that be essentially doubling the bass signals from 40hz down due to combining both crossover point and LFE together?

It's kind of blowing my mind right now because as long as I've been into home theater, it's never cross my mind how LFE and sub level has completely different results when adjusted.

Last edited by xplizit; 08-13-2019 at 03:47 PM.
post #36 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
In that pic, you've set the "crossovers" to 120 Hz. As I said before the crossovers contain both the LPF for the sub and the HPF for the speakers. You can't set them to different frequencies.

To be honest you're 100% right on the previous post about lowering it i tried that month ago from the sub it self the knob the sub was more clear waves less vibration, but i kept the settings in the menu at 120hz but its hard to match them both if i decided to lower it let say 80hz from the menu the sub starts from 0 then dots dots dots last is 120hz to know where exactly the 80hz point its hard

The LPF of LFE is a separate LPF that is only applied to the LFE channel. It has no effect on the LPF or HPF of the crossovers or any of the re-directed bass from the main channels. The LFE channel is limited to 120 Hz content during the recording process. Most people will tell you to leave the LPF of LFE set to 120 Hz. However, it's OK to reduce it to 80 Hz if you like.

Wow just knew that the bold part i thought it has effect all that time thanks for this huge info.

One question please the sub has two inputs one right red and one left white which has LFE/left is that where i should plug the cable ?

post #37 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I don't really disagree with much of anything posted here. I just wanted to add on to this and/or provide a different perspective.

From 20 Hz up to about 80 Hz, we can hear sounds but we can't locate them; they sound like they're coming from anywhere/everywhere. The wavelengths are too long for the little sensors in our ears to pinpoint the he source of the noise.

Above about 80 Hz we're pretty good at locating/placing the source of the sound. So, from an imaging/soundstage perspective, you ideally want to cross over at nothing higher than 80 Hz. This way omnidirectional sounds are emitted from your sub, and you can get a nice soundstage/instrument location for music. For movies, things happening on the left of the screen come at you from the left side, etc.

Thats what im always trying to find best settings to hear the things from right comes from there because i watch 6-7 Different episodes of tv shows which has a lot of shooting but at my setting now all 120hz i could still notice this whats coming from right or left but what the different then in 80hz ?

Ideally you want to buy big enough/robust enough speakers (at least the Front 3) so that they don't need to be crossed over until at or below 80 Hz (without a big dip in output poor sound quality).
But by setting them at 80hz and their specification freq response from 80-20.000 now they will be rolling of from around 20 or 40 thats what i read that if their freq response 80hz set them at 160hz. in conclusion everyone post his own preferred settings or opinion. and we (me) the amateurs in this world get lost by everyone setup recommendation hahahaha.
post #38 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a contrary view about setting the crossover points below the automatically set values.

I haven't used AccuEq specifically, but in my experience automated calibration tools aren't very good at detecting the low frequency cut-off point. They are easily fooled by room modes and cancellation nulls. So I always set the crossover points manually.

A rule of thumb that seems to work well for me is to set the crossover frequency one octave above the loudspeaker's lower extension limit, but not higher than 100 Hz. The rationale for the one-octave-higher rule is to allow the crossover to work per it's designed slopes. If you set the crossover frequency close to the limit of the speaker's bass extension, the slope of the combined high-pass roll-off will be steeper than the corresponding low-pass applied to the sub. If you can't or don't want to measure them, take the manufacturer's stated -3 dB point and double it. That will be close enough unless the manufacturer really embellishes their specs. Following this rule of thumb, for most large floorstanders I would start with the crossover around 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on how low they go. For smaller floorstanders, it would be 60-70 Hz. For most stand-mounted speakers, 80-90 Hz.

So my floor stands freq response rolls from 42-20.000 how on earth it should be at 60hz it will lower than whats is made for around 20hz maybe ? you said your self your surrounds at 120hz im assuming their specification rolls from around 50-60hz ?

I don't like to go higher than 100 Hz because the subs become easy to localize. My surround speakers are good down to 55-60 Hz, so I started with the crossover at 120 Hz. But I prefer 100 Hz to minimize the lower midrange sounds that leak through the subs. I cut off the LFE channel at 100 Hz also for the same reason. I think it's especially important not to use too high of a crossover frequency with the center channel, otherwise you may be able to hear dialogue coming out of your sub.
Mine at 120hz all three fronts so far so good this second day with the new calibration setting i'll give it a week more.
post #39 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know you were explaining this to someone else but i'll jump in. now Craig mentioned "It has no effect on the LPF or HPF of the crossovers or any of the re-directed bass from the main channels"

From what i understand from that is the HPF are the speakers so even if adjusting it how it may effect the bass in any other channel.

I'm saying this assuming you mean by "When you're adjusting the sub gain" is the cut off knob not the bass volume right ?

Last edited by M9ADE3; 08-13-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #40 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post
So does the -~(infinity symbol) null any boosts to that channel, as in it would just be the direct LFE signal? It's the only setting that reproduces the same bass levels and frequencies in multichannel sources verses Stereo.

Edit: I may be overthinking this a bit, but does that also mean that, say I have my L/C/R set at 40hz crossover, anything below that crossover point is, of course, sent to subwoofer with the LFE signal as well. Would that be essentially doubling the bass signals from 40hz down due to combining both crossover point and LFE together?

It's kind of blowing my mind right now because as long as I've been into home theater, it's never cross my mind how LFE and sub level has completely different results when adjusted.
Nice question waiting for an answer as well
post #41 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9ADE3 View Post
One question please the sub has two inputs one right red and one left white which has LFE/left is that where i should plug the cable ?

Yes, plug the cable into the Left/LFE input.

Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A1 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A4 Centre | Klipsch R-14M Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #42 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Yes, plug the cable into the Left/LFE input.
Thanks already done.
post #43 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Mine at 120hz all three fronts so far so good this second day with the new calibration setting i'll give it a week more.
The crossover for front L/R speakers are commonly set to 80hz. Typically the centre is as well, but people often set that at 100hz. Surrounds are more-often-than-not set to 120hz, but I think you can set it lower if the speakers are able to handle a lower crossover point. I didn't see what your set up is, but you could probably get away with setting your entire front stage (LCR) at 80hz, your surrounds at 100hz, and it'll sound just fine. You want to have an enveloping bass sound rather than one where you can feel it hitting you from the side, etc...

You can set the crossover point lower than 80hz, but you don't want to set it lower than whatever AccuEQ or Audyssey determines as the crossover point (so if AccuEQ sets it to 60hz, don't override the crossover to be 50hz). One rule of thumb is to set the crossover at least 10hz higher than what the specs say (i.e. if the speaker has a frequency response of 55hz - 30khz, you would be fine setting the crossover to 70hz. 80hz would give the speaker more breathing room).

Personally, I don't see why you would set everything to 120hz as I believe it is creating an imbalance - you do want the sub to handle some of the lower frequencies, but not *all* of the lower frequencies. My personal crossover settings are 80hz front LR, 100hz centre, 120hz surrounds.

Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A1 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A4 Centre | Klipsch R-14M Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #44 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yes. Start with the center channel, dial it in to 75 DB, then proceed to all the other channels. Be aware that the sub channel may not be quite as accurate, as phone mics are not very good at lower frequencies. So, start at 75 and work your way up or down, to what sounds even with the rest of the speakers.
So then it's not that uncommon for people to reduce/increase the speaker trim after room calibration to read at 75dB when pink noise is being emitted from the speakers?

post #45 of 91 Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The crossover for front L/R speakers are commonly set to 80hz. Typically the centre is as well, but people often set that at 100hz. Surrounds are more-often-than-not set to 120hz, but I think you can set it lower if the speakers are able to handle a lower crossover point. I didn't see what your set up is, but you could probably get away with setting your entire front stage (LCR) at 80hz, your surrounds at 100hz, and it'll sound just fine. You want to have an enveloping bass sound rather than one where you can feel it hitting you from the side, etc...

All my C and Surround and surround back freq response 80-20.000hz floorstands 42-20.000hz (I got 7.1 setup)

You can set the crossover point lower than 80hz, but you don't want to set it lower than whatever AccuEQ or Audyssey determines as the crossover point (so if AccuEQ sets it to 60hz, don't override the crossover to be 50hz). One rule of thumb is to set the crossover at least 10hz higher than what the specs say (i.e. if the speaker has a frequency response of 55hz - 30khz, you would be fine setting the crossover to 70hz. 80hz would give the speaker more breathing room).

Exactly I can't lower anything from my last calibration 120hz to do this i need to turn off the AccuEQ calibration from menu and set it up manually am i right here ? and regarding the rule of thumb set the crossover at least 10hz higher than what the specs say so mine from 80hz so i set it at 90hz right i'm talking center and all 4 surrounds as i mentioned they have same specification the bookshelf and the satellite and Center 80-20.000hz

Personally, I don't see why you would set everything to 120hz as I believe it is creating an imbalance - you do want the sub to handle some of the lower frequencies, but not *all* of the lower frequencies. My personal crossover settings are 80hz front LR, 100hz centre, 120hz surrounds.
I did not the AccuEQ did when i was trying to reach 0db for bass i mention that in beginning of thread the story why im doing this. so based on my speakers spec what would you say best set up for all 7 keep in mind floorstands in there.

Thanks

Last edited by M9ADE3; 08-13-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #46 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:
So then it's not that uncommon for people to reduce/increase the speaker trim after room calibration to read at 75dB when pink noise is being emitted from the speakers?
Depends on your usage. Some folks use 85 dB, I prefer 75, as I do not normally listen at loud levels.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #47 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I did not the AccuEQ did when i was trying to reach 0db for bass i mention that in beginning of thread the story why im doing this. so based on my speakers spec what would you say best set up for all 7 keep in mind floorstands in there.

Thanks
Regarding the questions in your original post:

I've not heard of not being told you can't simply adjust the gain/volume on the sub after you've calibrated using AccuEQ.

If you have a subwoofer, your speakers should be set to "small", not "full band" (even if you have floorstanding speakers) and the commonly-recommended crossover for your front stage (LCR) is 80hz (as mentioned before, people often put the centre as high as 100hz), and your surrounds to 100-120hz. It's fine to override the crossover point set by AccuEQ - I don't think anyone keeps what AccuEQ (or even Audyssey) sets after the calibration is complete.

In your AVR, the LFE crossover should be set to 120hz, and the frequency knob on your subwoofer needs to be turned all the way to its max. You do this because you're essentially letting your AVR handle the crossover, and setting it to max on the sub eliminates any conflict between the subwoofer, and AVR.

post #48 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Depends on your usage. Some folks use 85 dB, I prefer 75, as I do not normally listen at loud levels.
I don't think I listen at high volume levels - I sit 5.5-6ft away from my speakers, so they don't ever get turned up very high. In fact, I don't think I even drive anything hard enough for the fan on the AVR to even kick in (I honestly couldn't say I've ever heard the fan, which has caused me to think at one point that maybe the fan was broken).

post #49 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post

By setting the LFE level to minus infinity, you've effectively disabled the reproduction of any content that was in the LFE channel of the Blu-Ray, DVD, TV show, stream, etc. But it should not affect reproduction of bass content in the other channels. Since your speakers are set to "small", the bass content in those channels below the specified crossover frequency will still be diverted to the subwoofer. The program material in the LFE channel is supposed to be independent of the other channels, so you're not doubling up on bass if you set speakers to small.

If it sounds like the amount of bass is "right" with stereo sources, that suggests the auto-calibration is properly setting the subwoofer level. Your other observations suggest the excess bass is specific to the LFE channel. Some confusion persists over how to set the LFE level because the original Dolby Digital 5.1/DVD standards called for the LFE channel level to be reproduced 10 dB higher than the other channels, while DTS did not. So some early DTS titles were mastered without taking the playback boost into account. Even some of my Blu-Rays have overblown LFE.

With its original firmware, my Marantz AV8801 auto-calibrated the subwoofer level approximately 10 dB lower than the other channels. But since it was applying 10 dB boost to the LFE channel on playback, when I checked levels using a HT calibration DVD and SPL meter, the LFE came out correct relative to the other channels. However, the diverted bass from other channels was too low by 10 dB. To get things right, I had to raise the subwoofer level by 10 dB and then set the LFE level -10 dB. It sounds like you have a similar issue with your receiver.

post #50 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
So my floor stands freq response rolls from 42-20.000 how on earth it should be at 60hz it will lower than whats is made for around 20hz maybe ? you said your self your surrounds at 120hz im assuming their specification rolls from around 50-60hz ?

In your case, I would set the crossover frequency for your front right & left speakers to 80 Hz (approx 2x42 Hz).

Your center and surround speakers don't have enough bass extension to achieve symmetrical crossover slopes per my rule of thumb. If you're not hearing localizable sound from your sub, you can leave them at 120 Hz. I would pay attention to male voices in particular. With a 120 Hz crossover on the center channel, you may hear them in the subwoofer's output. If so, try 100 Hz or even 80 Hz.

post #51 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I just ran the Calibration 4 times to get the sub at 0db instead of -6(per last calibration) so here is the result :

Are your speakers connected to the wrong terminals on the receiver by any chance?

It's weird that the receiver thinks your small bookshelf speakers should be crossed over at 60 Hz while your big tower speakers should be crossed over at 120 Hz.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #52 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Regarding the questions in your original post:

I've not heard of not being told you can't simply adjust the gain/volume on the sub after you've calibrated using AccuEQ.

If you have a subwoofer, your speakers should be set to "small", not "full band" (even if you have floorstanding speakers) and the commonly-recommended crossover for your front stage (LCR) is 80hz (as mentioned before, people often put the centre as high as 100hz), and your surrounds to 100-120hz. It's fine to override the crossover point set by AccuEQ - I don't think anyone keeps what AccuEQ (or even Audyssey) sets after the calibration is complete.

They're set 120hz which "small" as long it not stated "Full range", yeah heard that a lot about those setup but honestly it's weird you're saying you can override AccuEQ/Audyssey you can always go higher but never go below what its been set to roll off its everywhere in the forum even on Audyssey page it was answered by their team:

In your AVR, the LFE crossover should be set to 120hz, and the frequency knob on your subwoofer needs to be turned all the way to its max. You do this because you're essentially letting your AVR handle the crossover, and setting it to max on the sub eliminates any conflict between the subwoofer, and AVR.
Yeah both at max first thing i add was that.
post #53 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In your case, I would set the crossover frequency for your front right & left speakers to 80 Hz (approx 2x42 Hz).

Your center and surround speakers don't have enough bass extension to achieve symmetrical crossover slopes per my rule of thumb. If you're not hearing localizable sound from your sub, you can leave them at 120 Hz. I would pay attention to male voices in particular. With a 120 Hz crossover on the center channel, you may hear them in the subwoofer's output. If so, try 100 Hz or even 80 Hz.
I will be going lower to these numbers but im trying the right answer regrading going lower what AccuEQ was set i'm pretty sure you can't the answer im trying to find is since i can't go lower is my only choice to turn off the AccuEQ off and do everything manually ?
post #54 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Are your speakers connected to the wrong terminals on the receiver by any chance?

It's weird that the receiver thinks your small bookshelf speakers should be crossed over at 60 Hz while your big tower speakers should be crossed over at 120 Hz.
I have been told the same thing you said i checked everything and it seems fine. maybe because the distance the bookshelf a meter away from the mic and the towers are 7m away from the mic.

And nice picture i own a challenger hellcat as well
post #55 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah both at max first thing i add was that.
You don't set it lower than what Audyssey/AccuEQ establishes because you're either pushing the speaker too hard or setting it lower than what the speaker is capable of producing. So if it (for example) sets it to 60hz, that's already pushing the speaker to its limits, and the idea is to let your subwoofer do the grunt work of the lower frequencies, which is why it's generally recommended to set the crossover to 80hz for your front stage.

Why your AccuEQ is setting the crossover to 120hz is a mystery. That's far too high considering your speakers can produce frequencies far lower than 120hz, and I can see why it may be confusing when I said to not set it lower than what AccuEQ/Audyssey sets. There's something wrong, and the only time I have seen AccuEQ set something at 120hz or higher is when I had the original Home Theatre in a Box speakers hooked up - I think that's partially why someone asked whether you've connected to the right binding posts on your tower/floorstanding speakers (since the two top posts would more or less be for the tweeter in the speaker, which could account for AccuEQ setting it to 120hz). Do you have photos of how you've connected the wire to your speakers (more for the ones you have that allow bi-amp/wiring)?

Because your AccuEQ is seemingly on the fritz, I would ignore what it says, and set your LCR crossover to 80hz, and your surrounds to 100hz. You will not be doing any damage to your speakers or AVR by doing that. If you are concerned with getting everything close to 0dB, you can adjust the trim in conjunction with an SPL meter (I personally just use an app - NIOSH - on my phone) after the calibration to target a desired reference level. 85dB is the standard, but people often use 75dB as their target reference level. I would do that by going into the Level Calibration setting (on my Onkyo NR747, it's going into the setup menu, then going to Speaker > Level Calibration) - AccuEQ suggests you also have an Onkyo AVR. It emits pink noise, and you can toggle between every speaker to lower/raise the trim until it hits your desired dB level (whether it's -5dB or +5dB in the setting is fine, I think, since the important thing is that it reads at the dB you're targeting?). After my last calibration, my AccuEQ had everything between 0 to +2, and everything read at around 77-80dB, which is fine in my book).

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 08-14-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #56 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't set it lower than what Audyssey/AccuEQ establishes because you're either pushing the speaker too hard or setting it lower than what the speaker is capable of producing. So if it (for example) sets it to 60hz, that's already pushing the speaker to its limits, and the idea is to let your subwoofer do the grunt work of the lower frequencies, which is why it's generally recommended to set the crossover to 80hz for your front stage.

You got a point but the point in here its not whether if pushing it to hard or setting it lower than what the speaker is capable of producing it where the Amp has determine to roll of will if i set it to 80hz will be rolling off there ? i don't think so. and yeah they're capable of rolling off from 80hz but the amp thinks its not. but regarding about the set points and everything you're 100% right. Here's a link of my old thread when i was setting up it has many pictures of the room speakers and everything, and i learned a lot after that thread like i was using a pillow and the mic above it to calibrate after that i got i tripod and did everything correctly. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58176630

Why your AccuEQ is setting the crossover to 120hz is a mystery. That's far too high considering your speakers can produce frequencies far lower than 120hz, and I can see why it may be confusing when I said to not set it lower than what AccuEQ/Audyssey sets. There's something wrong, and the only time I have seen AccuEQ set something at 120hz or higher is when I had the original Home Theatre in a Box speakers hooked up - I think that's partially why someone asked whether you've connected to the right binding posts on your tower/floorstanding speakers (since the two top posts would more or less be for the tweeter in the speaker, which could account for AccuEQ setting it to 120hz). Do you have photos of how you've connected the wire to your speakers (more for the ones you have that allow bi-amp/wiring)?

Because your AccuEQ is seemingly on the fritz, I would ignore what it says, and set your LCR crossover to 80hz, and your surrounds to 100hz. You will not be doing any damage to your speakers or AVR by doing that. If you are concerned with getting everything close to 0dB, you can adjust the trim in conjunction with an SPL meter (I personally just use an app - NIOSH - on my phone) after the calibration to target a desired reference level. 85dB is the standard, but people often use 75dB as their target reference level. I would do that by going into the Level Calibration setting (on my Onkyo NR747, it's going into the setup menu, then going to Speaker > Level Calibration) - AccuEQ suggests you also have an Onkyo AVR. It emits pink noise, and you can toggle between every speaker to lower/raise the trim until it hits your desired dB level (whether it's -5dB or +5dB in the setting is fine, I think, since the important thing is that it reads at the dB you're targeting?). After my last calibration, my AccuEQ had everything between 0 to +2, and everything read at around 77-80dB, which is fine in my book).
And No i wasn't concerned about getting 0db for all channels i was only trying for the sub, actually even after calibration i added +4 to back surround and +5 to the surrounds
post #57 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And here's the pictures you asked for:

post #58 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I got a question regarding localization so far the bass is fine and clear the best setup for the sub i ever did is now. But the question is so far i can't tell where the sub is when there is bass which is a good thing many find it hard to reach this point but sometimes when playing something with 360 sound like a trailer i downloaded from dolby i feel the ball sound when it hits the left channel in front higher than the right and its noticeable, and the second thing when i play youtube music and switch to stereo i can also feel the sound from left side is higher than right channel now is this conceders as a localization problem ? and is't maybe because i have the sub next to left speaker ? i even have the right channel at+1 and left at 0db here's some picture to clarify more:

And this is a picture of the full three channels and as marked in the picture i made sure the distance is equal between the center and two left and right:

Last edited by M9ADE3; 08-14-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #59 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I have been told the same thing you said i checked everything and it seems fine.
When you run channel identification routine in your receiver, does it identify all your speakers in the correct locations of your room? For example, when you hear pink noise / test sound coming out of your front left speaker, is front left speaker highlighted on the screen?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #60 of 91 Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
When you run channel identification routine in your receiver, does it identify all your speakers in the correct locations of your room? For example, when you hear pink noise / test sound coming out of your front left speaker, is front left speaker highlighted on the screen?
Yes through the level calibration menu every channel is in place sounds correct even when running AccuEQ and it mentioned every channel when running the tone and they were correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page