SVS Ultra Surround Speaker in Dolby Atmos vs. Klipsch 502 and SVS in Duet mode - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed Mullen

post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SVS Ultra Surround Speaker in Dolby Atmos vs. Klipsch 502 and SVS in Duet mode

Please be patient with me on these these two questions. My room is narrow so I need to use bi poles in my 5.1.4, even though I know Dolby recommends monopoles. I have tried monopoles but the speaker is just to close to the ear; hence identifiable.

First, do any of you have an opinion on which bipole is better SVS Ultra or Klispch 502, assuming that then LCR will eventually be matched by brand (oddly, I need to start with the surrounds first).

Second, have any of you tried using the SVS Ultra Surround in duet mode, thus extending the speaker to act both as a side and rear surround. I have a small space behind the seating area so I cant fit back surrounds. I so, what were your results.

Any opinions on these two matters, experience or not, is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8817 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBekind View Post
Please be patient with me on these these two questions. My room is narrow so I need to use bi poles in my 5.1.4, even though I know Dolby recommends monopoles. I have tried monopoles but the speaker is just to close to the ear; hence identifiable.

First, do any of you have an opinion on which bipole is better SVS Ultra or Klispch 502, assuming that then LCR will eventually be matched by brand (oddly, I need to start with the surrounds first).

Second, have any of you tried using the SVS Ultra Surround in duet mode, thus extending the speaker to act both as a side and rear surround. I have a small space behind the seating area so I cant fit back surrounds. I so, what were your results.

Any opinions on these two matters, experience or not, is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
As you already know the SVS are more expensive than the Klipsch as are the rest of the SVS series vs the Klipsch.

If in the States order both and return the loser.

SVS offers free returns as does Best Buy, but if you can't find the Klipsch 502 at your local Best Buy order from Crutchfield as they offer $10/box returns for non tower speakers within 60 days.

Both speaker lines are well regarded on AVS.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quote:

As you already know the SVS are more expensive than the Klipsch as are the rest of the SVS series vs the Klipsch.

If in the States order both and return the loser.

SVS offers free returns as does Best Buy, but if you can't find the Klipsch 502 at your local Best Buy order from Crutchfield as they offer $10/box returns for non tower speakers within 60 days.

Both speaker lines are well regarded on AVS.
This is excellent advice. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:

The Ultra Surround has two complete sets of internal crossovers - so it can literally be split into two separate speakers when operated in Duet mode.

If your room is small and you don't have space for rear surrounds, Duet mode will bounce the surround back signal off the rear wall and provide a pretty convincing rear surround soundstage.

The front half of the Ultra Surround will handle the surround signal of course.

Place the Ultra Surround slightly behind the primary listening position, such that the front baffle is on-axis with the listener. The rear baffle will then be pointing at the rear wall for the bounce-back.

Naturally you will need separate height effects speakers for Atmos/Dolby Surround and DTS:X/Neural:X playback. Mount these on the ceiling or high on the side walls pointing down.

Go here for 7.1.2 and 7.1.4 height channel speaker placement recommendations. Be sure to select the overhead (i.e., down-firing) options, as there are also options for virtual and up-firing ceiling bounce.
gajCA likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page