Upgrading from soundbar - need speaker suggestions for bedroom - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By netjack

post #1 of 16 Old Today, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgrading from soundbar - need speaker suggestions for bedroom

Hi Guys,

I've turned one of my smallish bedrooms (~12feet x 12feet) into a 4K room. I currently have a nakamichi 7.2 DTS X setup with my 65" LG B9 with a X1. I've been using that setup for 6 months but I just find the bass to be underwhelming - not punchy, not deep, and often rips even though it's only turned up 70%.

My larger theater room is setup with a projector, x3500h, 7.1 aperion intimus speakers, and a SBS2000 and obviously that sounds much better.

I'm thinking of moving the nakamichi setup to another bedroom and upgrading the 4K room. Adorama is running a great deal on the RX-V685 (so I'll pick that up), I already have a spare Aperion 8" sub I'm very happy with. So all I need are speakers (centers, L/R/RR/RL). Budget is <$750 and I'd prefer a minimalist design for the speakers (so hoping for <8" deep), all satellite, nothing floor standing or wife will kill me.

Recommendations?
Klipsch reference series?

Last edited by netjack; Today at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7054 Post(s)
Liked: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
I've turned one of my smallish bedrooms (~12feet x 12feet) into a 4K room. So all I need are speakers (centers, L/R/RR/RL). Budget is <$750 and I'd prefer a minimalist design for the speakers (so hoping for <8" deep), all satellite, nothing floor standing or wife will kill me.
3 x NHT SuperOnes, $104 each from Amazon
3 x Ascend 200SE, around $500 shipped

If you can't do a vertical center, then:
2 x Emotiva B1s with C1 center, about $480 shipped

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 16 Old Today, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Leaning towards Polk Audio LSiM704c for $199 sale at Adorama and LSiM703 Bookshelfs.

Thoughts?
cocrh likes this.

Last edited by netjack; Today at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old Today, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Leaning towards Polk Audio LSiM704c for $199 sale at Adorama and LSiM703 Bookshelfs.

Thoughts?
undoubtedly great values vs normal MSRP, but I thought you had a 8" depth limit?

The 703s should have the most mid-bass of all the speakers in this thread of course. It all depends on your usage. If it's all HT/TV then I'd go for the NHTs...no need to spend more than needed, plus they are the most compact and highest-WAF with a very elegant black finish.

3 x RSL CG23 could also be considered, also high WAF and you get free return shipping:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 16 Old Today, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
undoubtedly great values vs normal MSRP, but I thought you had a 8" depth limit?

The 703s should have the most mid-bass of all the speakers in this thread of course. It all depends on your usage. If it's all HT/TV then I'd go for the NHTs...no need to spend more than needed, plus they are the most compact and highest-WAF with a very elegant black finish.

3 x RSL CG23 could also be considered, also high WAF and you get free return shipping:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

I'm thinking I might mount a deeper shelf if I needed to accommodate deeper speakers. Any issues mixing the 704c w/ the NHTs? I see that NHT has a Super Center 2.1 Center Channel for $130.

Yes, this is 100% 4K movie/netflix shows/X1 gaming.

Last edited by netjack; Today at 08:08 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old Today, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking I might mount a deeper shelf if I needed to accommodate deeper speakers. Any issues mixing the 704c w/ the NHTs? I see that NHT has a Super Center 2.1 Center Channel for $130.

That NHT SuperCenter has gotten mixed reviews, that's why I always recommend a 3rd SuperOne for the center.

If a horizontal center is preferred, you'd be better off with the $250 Emotiva C1 which is also a sealed cabinet design. It's neutral enough to go with anything, really.

The Polks are rear ported, so switching them to "small" in order to reduce having tight rear clearance kind of negates their mid-bass advantage. And for your non-music usage you will never get to enjoy their overall SQ advantages either.

post #7 of 16 Old Today, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Take a look at my setup - as you can see - very tight. So you think mounting a bookshelf as a center doesn't really have a terrible effect on dialogue, etc. for this room/setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-18-2019 11-50-41 AM.png
Views:	8
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2604286  
post #8 of 16 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:

The Polk LSIM are a good level above the NHT and for the price can't be beat. As previously mentioned, the LSIM may be overkill for a secondary TV/HT setup. Of course there's nothing preventing you from moving them to a different setup later on. Also keep in mind that the speakers are quite large and heavy.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #9 of 16 Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 254
the JBL B15, 199/pr at Amazon... less than 5" deep, sealed, with keyhole mounts.

arena 125C can be had from Amazon at 169 (cheaper than JBLs website)

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 16 Old Today, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
the JBL B15, 199/pr at Amazon... less than 5" deep, sealed, with keyhole mounts.

arena 125C can be had from Amazon at 169 (cheaper than JBLs website)
Thanks for this. As I went for measuring, I think even the 8" depth of the NHTs might be too much . The soundbar right now protrudes about 3.5"

Here's a better pic as to why - this is what you see as you enter the room so a whole 12" shelf might be too much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sdf.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2604290  

Last edited by netjack; Today at 09:02 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old Today, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Take a look at my setup - as you can see - very tight. So you think mounting a bookshelf as a center doesn't really have a terrible effect on dialogue, etc. for this room/setup?
What I'd do is wall mount 3 bookshelves above the TV, tilted downwards. You can use 3 identical vertical speakers like the NHTs or Ascends that way.

post #12 of 16 Old Today, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
What I'd do is wall mount 3 bookshelves above the TV, tilted downwards. You can use 3 identical vertical speakers like the NHTs or Ascends that way.
Ok not a bad idea but will take some effort to snake the speaker wires behind the wall and would have to work some magic on fixing the current soundbar mounting holes.

Quality wise - how does the JBL recommendation fare against the NHTs?
post #13 of 16 Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Ok not a bad idea but will take some effort to snake the speaker wires behind the wall and would have to work some magic on fixing the current soundbar mounting holes. Quality wise - how does the JBL recommendation fare against the NHTs?
For your usage, about even but I'd take the NHTs for the same price, better looking, and much better sounding during any musical parts.

post #14 of 16 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked: 2474
That scenario looks like a perfect match for the RSL CG3/23 package. If you are used to Aperion, the clean highs should be appreciated. They can also go quite loud for a smaller speaker and should be more than enough for that small room. Crossing over to the 8" sub at 100/80 should also work out well. Only 6" deep, front ported, keeps you from having to do any woodwork.

If you have any additional budget, adding a second sub would benefit in more even frequency response in that 12x12 (x8?) room.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #15 of 16 Old Today, 12:18 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Ok not a bad idea but will take some effort to snake the speaker wires behind the wall and would have to work some magic on fixing the current soundbar mounting holes.

Quality wise - how does the JBL recommendation fare against the NHTs?
Just lower the TV to cover the holes and the TV would cover the wires if you mounted speakers above facing down.

Where would the receiver go?

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my room setup (see sub and rears now). I've uploaded pics so you're rotating from center of tv, clockwise, to the back of the room. Have to figure out where to put receiver and run wires from it to/fro TV and speakers.

Suggestions? I'll be getting rid of those weights/stand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-18-2019 7-06-00 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2604550   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-18-2019 7-06-47 PM.png
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2604552   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-18-2019 7-06-18 PM.png