1Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Placement of center speaker

Let my start by giving you an overview of my listening position in my new house. I have a PC in front of me (at one foot distance) and the front speakers on either side of the monitor. There is no space to place a center here. However, I do need it as dialogues are not clear for movies encoded in multi channel audio. My question is can I place the center speaker behind the single seater couch? I have a shelf there on which I can keep the center at ear level. The shelf is about 3 feet from the couch. Will that position affect the intelligibility of dialogues?

Stereo listening - Quad S1 / DAC - Schiit Modi Multibit / Sennheiser HD 598
Front Speakers - KEF Q300
Rear Speakers - KEF Q100
Center - KEF Q600
Receiver - Yahama HTR 3067
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbertHumbert View Post
Let my start by giving you an overview of my listening position in my new house. I have a PC in front of me (at one foot distance) and the front speakers on either side of the monitor. There is no space to place a center here. However, I do need it as dialogues are not clear for movies encoded in multi channel audio. My question is can I place the center speaker behind the single seater couch? I have a shelf there on which I can keep the center at ear level. The shelf is about 3 feet from the couch. Will that position affect the intelligibility of dialogues?
It might be weird having the centre channel behind you. Have you considered just putting the monitor on top of the centre channel speaker? Or on a shelf above the monitor?

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A4 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 x 2 (upcoming) | Subwoofer TBD
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

If I put the monitor above the center speaker, it will be too high and uncomfortable to look at from a close position. There are windows behind the monitor, so no space for a shelf I am afraid.

Rear Speakers - KEF Q100
Center - KEF Q600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbertHumbert View Post
Mount the center speaker above the screen and angle it down towards your head/ear level.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
Mount the center speaker above the screen and angle it down towards your head/ear level.
He has a window there, so he might not be able to mount it - unless there is room above the window? If he can, that'd be another option instead of putting it behind him.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A4 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 x 2 (upcoming) | Subwoofer TBD
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

There is room above the window but over 7.5/8 feet from the surface. Won't it be too high? I had KEF Q600 which I had previously put on a display unit that was 6 feet high. Half the sound was lost. The unit was right in front of me albeit the centre wasn't angled towards me.

Rear Speakers - KEF Q100
Center - KEF Q600
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 211
headphones. Center behind you may give you more dialog clarity, but it is less than ideal.
Can you rearrange your room to accommodate better listening?

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2802 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Just get one of these, problem solved:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Plus-MP...ssories&sr=1-5
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page