Sony SSCS5 3-Way Bookshelf Speaker Only $73/Pair on Amazon! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Sony SSCS5 3-Way Bookshelf Speaker Only $73/Pair on Amazon!

Part of my job as Editor is to find and share deals of speakers. It's hard to ignore this one... Sony's 3-way SSCS5 is on sale for $73/pair on Amazon. That's about the same price as dinner for two at a chain restaurant, not including drinks! Quite a bargain!

Click here to read more. Please don't engage in "price talk" in this sub-forum, but do feel free to discuss the performance of these speakers in the price's context. if you'd like to discuss the pricing itself, please do it by going to this thread.

-----

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.
Lp85253 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-29-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
these are very nice speakers for the price , they sound nice at moderate volume, to the point that i would rec them over many of the $300 entry level fare...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Isn't this more like a 2 way with a super tweeter? The 3/4" tweeter is crossed over at 17khz, I doubt most people will even notice its output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post
Isn't this more like a 2 way with a super tweeter? The 3/4" tweeter is crossed over at 17khz, I doubt most people will even notice its output.
Sure, you could frame it that way.

As for hearing it, the reality is crossovers have a slope, so the supertweeter is playing lower than the listen crossover point. The potential advantage could be better dispersion, or it could be something that only impacts teens through 30-somethings.
Lp85253 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I can say without a doubt, the Core series sound very good and punch way above their price point. If you ignore the audiophile snobbery that throws shade at mass produced products from a conglomerate (often at low prices), you'll find you have a nice set of speakers.

Last edited by hodgjy; 08-29-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I can say without a doubt, the Core series sound very good and punch way above their price point. If you ignore the audiophile snobbery that throws shade at mass produced products from a conglomerate (often at low prices), you'll find you have a nice set of speakers.
+1 They've been known to punch WAY above their weight. Anywhere a big bookshelf speaker can fit in your life, these will sound fabulous...(they're not small)... and especially with bang-for-buck factor this high. I'd bet the farm that nothing at $73/pair is anywhere near the same galaxy, sonically.

2-Channel Rig: Rogue Sphinx Integrated Amp, Energy RC-70 speakers, Energy ESW-C10 Sub, Sony BluRay/SACD, BlueSound Node 2i, Pro-Ject TT w/ Ortofon OM20 Cart

7.2 Home Theater: 3x Energy RC-LCR, Energy CB-20 (x4) surrounds, 2x Energy Power12 subs, Apple TV, PS4, Sony 7.2 AVR
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Trying them out in my living room system with the matching center speaker and I am really impressed. The center is not the dog that it has been made out to be.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
Trying them out in my living room system with the matching center speaker and I am really impressed. The center is not the dog that it has been made out to be.
I have the center as well and it's just fine. People that criticize it are usually the ones who've never heard it and are just repeating what they've read.

As a little test, I also have the towers, and I was playing around with music and Neo6, which is said to be the least aggressive of the matrix processors with music. When I switched back and forth from 2-ch and Neo6, there was very little difference in the timber of the singers' voices. Sure, instrument placement was out of whack, but the voices were just fine.

On the center, the bass falls off a cliff at 90 hz or so, so I crossed it over at 100 hz and never looked back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page