Speakers for exercise room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Speakers for exercise room

Room ~20' X 30' above garage.

Content: Mainly podcast but some music.

Source: Android Phone and SanDisk MP3 player

Listening position varies because I workout in different areas of room depending on what exercises.

Listening levels: moderate ~60dB at listening level but might listen a little louder occasionally.

Budget $100 +-40 for a pair.

I am thinking of getting a basic amplifier. Either SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier for RCA input or Dayton Audio APA102BT Class D Stereo 60 WPC Bluetooth Amplifier for RCA and bluetooth input.

What would be some recommended speakers: Note, If possible I would like fairly high 87 to 90 sensitivity.


Also, would the set-up be better than: https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-one ?

I could get that at Costco for $180. I would have already tried it but I am hesitant because since it has a chargeable battery built into it, I am worried the unit might no longer work once the battery reached the end of its life in a few years - i.e., I am not sure if the unit would still work even if using AC power once the battery wore out and from researching cannot find an answer to that question.

Last edited by checker9; 09-01-2019 at 03:02 PM.
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,163
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Room ~20' X 30' above garage.

Content: Mainly podcast but some music.

Source: Android Phone and SanDisk MP3 player

Listening position varies because I workout in different areas of room depending on what exercises.

Listening levels: moderate ~60dB at listening level but might listen a little louder occasionally.

Budget $100 +-40 for a pair.

I am thinking of getting a basic amplifier. Either SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier for RCA input or Dayton Audio APA102BT Class D Stereo 60 WPC Bluetooth Amplifier for RCA and bluetooth input.

What would be some recommended speakers: Note, If possible I would like fairly high 87 to 90 sensitivity.


Also, would the set-up be better than: https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-one ?

I could get that at Costco for $180. I would have already tried it but I am hesitant because since it has a chargeable battery built into it, I am worried the unit might no longer work once the battery reached the end of its life in a few years - i.e., I am not sure if the unit would still work even if using AC power once the battery wore out and from researching cannot find an answer to that question.
You could just get a PA speaker for your purpose. It has bluetooth & USB so no need for an amp.
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-SPA-8-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #3 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You could just get a PA speaker for your purpose. It has bluetooth & USB so no need for an amp.
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-SPA-8-...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Thanks. With it being one unit, what is quality of stereo sound?
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Room ~20' X 30' above garage.

Content: Mainly podcast but some music.

Source: Android Phone and SanDisk MP3 player

Listening position varies because I workout in different areas of room depending on what exercises.

Listening levels: moderate ~60dB at listening level but might listen a little louder occasionally.

Budget $100 +-40 for a pair.

I am thinking of getting a basic amplifier. Either SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier for RCA input or Dayton Audio APA102BT Class D Stereo 60 WPC Bluetooth Amplifier for RCA and bluetooth input.

What would be some recommended speakers: Note, If possible I would like fairly high 87 to 90 sensitivity.


Also, would the set-up be better than: https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-one ?

I could get that at Costco for $180. I would have already tried it but I am hesitant because since it has a chargeable battery built into it, I am worried the unit might no longer work once the battery reached the end of its life in a few years - i.e., I am not sure if the unit would still work even if using AC power once the battery wore out and from researching cannot find an answer to that question.
that Klipsch unit is a nice little table radio. but separates will blow it away.

for that budget, get the dayton APA102BT... and Google chromecast audio puck (~35). then get 2 ( or 4, that amp has A+B terminals) indoor/outdoor speakers...will blow away that table radio... there are plenty with 6.5" woofers that can be had for less that 100/pr - parts express, outdoorspeakerdepot.com, etc.

don't want the aesthetic of the indoor/outdoor mounting brackets? the dayton B652 at 31/ pr or the AMT tweeter for 45/pr ...great budget setup.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #5 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
that Klipsch unit is a nice little table radio. but separates will blow it away.

for that budget, get the dayton APA102BT... and Google chromecast audio puck (~35). then get 2 ( or 4, that amp has A+B terminals) indoor/outdoor speakers...will blow away that table radio... there are plenty with 6.5" woofers that can be had for less that 100/pr - parts express, outdoorspeakerdepot.com, etc.

don't want the aesthetic of the indoor/outdoor mounting brackets? the dayton B652 at 31/ pr or the AMT tweeter for 45/pr ...great budget setup.

Thanks, That sounds like what I was envisioning.

I have watched this guy's other reviews over the years. He always has a good sense of humor but he is on a non-stop roll in this review. It is entertaining to watch even if one has no interest in speakers:


Last edited by checker9; 09-01-2019 at 04:36 PM.
checker9 is offline  
post #6 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
JBL Arena 130:
https://www.frys.com/product/8435118

They also have them in black for $20 more.
smithsabom likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is offline  
post #7 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
JBL Arena 130:
https://www.frys.com/product/8435118

They also have them in black for $20 more.
Is that for sure a pair? It states speakers but I cannot find anywhere to confirm. Being clearance I am afraid it might be a single.
checker9 is offline  
post #8 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Is that for sure a pair? It states speakers but I cannot find anywhere to confirm. Being clearance I am afraid it might be a single.
Pair. I bought some not too long ago.

Here is another option, slightly over your budget:
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Signatur.../dp/B01LVWWZS0

BestBuy also carries these Polks, which makes for easy returns in case you don't like them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA

Last edited by Pete7874; 09-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Pete7874 is offline  
post #9 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I see the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR going on sale occasionally for under $100 and even seen them around $70 a pair. I think they need more power than average speakers. Would an amp like the Dayton be enough? And would the quality of their sound be worth waiting and paying a little more than the Dayton Air speakers?
checker9 is offline  
post #10 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I see the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR going on sale occasionally for under $100 and even seen them around $70 a pair.
With only 4" drivers, you're going to want to supplement them with a subwoofer, IMO.

Also, sensitivity is only 85 dB.

For a 20'x30' room, personally I'd be looking for something bigger and more efficient than these Pioneers.
checker9 likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is offline  
post #11 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,364
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3042 Post(s)
Liked: 2953
Boston A25 ... buy one and get the second one for 1/2 off
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #12 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
gingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You could try the monoprice speakers they have some inexpensive speakers that would be great for an exercise room that it's what I use for my garage.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
gingus is offline  
post #13 of 114 Old 09-01-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
I have a pair of the Insignia powered bookshelf speakers and they have no problem filling my two-car garage with music. They have Bluetooth, line-in for your MP3 player and come with a remote. Even has a sub-output jack. Getting these would eliminate any need to buy a separate amp. They are currently on sale for $99.99, but have been $79.99 before.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5283401


If you want something more portable, the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 is currently on sale for $100. It's a really nice Bluetooth speaker with great sound and also has an aux/line-in jack for your MP3 player. I have two of these, as they have wireless pairing together. For it's size it gets pretty loud and has decent bass. I don't think you can find a better Bluetooth speaker for under 100 bones. It's one of the more highly rated Bluetooth speakers and has a built-in battery and comes with an AC adapter for use plugged in.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/harman-...?skuId=5886600

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 09-01-2019 at 11:06 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #14 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,163
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks. With it being one unit, what is quality of stereo sound?
Pros: You won't need a sub or amp and can get stupid loud. Will keep you in budget. A friend of mine has one and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Cons: It won't be as refined as good set of bookshelf speakers. You will need an amp/receiver and sub which will put you way over budget.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #15 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
MRAYB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Miami County, Ohio
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Back patio about the same size here. Screened on three sides. Pair of Dayton Audio B652 AIR (first image). Also two Micca MB42 (second).


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Maybe $100 for speakers and $40(?) I gave for a 5.1 Sony on CL. Sounding great right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	555555.png
Views:	23
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2610144   Click image for larger version

Name:	6666666.png
Views:	23
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2610146  
MRAYB is online now  
post #16 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I have a pair of the Insignia powered bookshelf speakers and they have no problem filling my two-car garage with music. They have Bluetooth, line-in for your MP3 player and come with a remote. Even has a sub-output jack. Getting these would eliminate any need to buy a separate amp. They are currently on sale for $99.99, but have been $79.99 before.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5283401


If you want something more portable, the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 is currently on sale for $100. It's a really nice Bluetooth speaker with great sound and also has an aux/line-in jack for your MP3 player. I have two of these, as they have wireless pairing together. For it's size it gets pretty loud and has decent bass. I don't think you can find a better Bluetooth speaker for under 100 bones. It's one of the more highly rated Bluetooth speakers and has a built-in battery and comes with an AC adapter for use plugged in.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/harman-...?skuId=5886600
Thanks. I have an almost two year Best Buy gift card I want to use anyway.

I have no need for something portable and will probably mount speakers. So throwing out need for portable, which of the two above has better sound/other features? Does the Harman Kardon go noticeable lower or is it just more boomy?

Last edited by checker9; 09-02-2019 at 06:00 AM.
checker9 is offline  
post #17 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks. I have an almost two year Best Buy gift card I want to use anyway.
If you're trying to use up some BB funds, I'd seriously consider the Polk S15 speakers I mentioned previously. Paired with a small amp, they should rock way better than any of the portable speakers.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is offline  
post #18 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I think I will try these. Internet speaker company 30 day return. review by AVSforums:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post56140352
checker9 is offline  
post #19 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks. I have an almost two year Best Buy gift card I want to use anyway.

I have no need for something portable and will probably mount speakers. So throwing out need for portable, which of the two above has better sound/other features? Does the Harman Kardon go noticeable lower or is it just more boomy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I think I will try these. Internet speaker company 30 day return. review by AVSforums:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post56140352

I mentioned the HK Onyx Studio 4 since you had linked to the portable Klipsch Bluetooth speaker as a possibility. As far as the powered Fluance speakers go, I wouldn't get those. In fact, I wouldn't buy ANY Fluance speakers. Looks like those are also going for $200 and very similar to the Insignia powered speakers for $100. If I had a BB GC and was looking at a pair of powered bookshelf speakers, I would certainly try the Insignia first. Best Buy has a very generous return policy, so no risk involved.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #20 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I mentioned the HK Onyx Studio 4 since you had linked to the portable Klipsch Bluetooth speaker as a possibility. As far as the powered Fluance speakers go, I wouldn't get those. In fact, I wouldn't buy ANY Fluance speakers. Looks like those are also going for $200 and very similar to the Insignia powered speakers for $100. If I had a BB GC and was looking at a pair of powered bookshelf speakers, I would certainly try the Insignia first. Best Buy has a very generous return policy, so no risk involved.
Its only $19 remaining on a gift card. So while I would like to finally use it all, it would not weigh on a purchase decision.

And thanks for your input, the Insignia looks like a good choice for what I want but what is bad about Fluance speakers? The reviews all indicate it is performing outside its price point. I read reviews the Insignia has no crossover and full signal is going to to tweeter and woofer causing muddy mids and vocals. I can find no measurements from reviews to confirm That.
On the Fluance, there are reviews with measurements, including the one on this site, and they show it to be a flat curve and it has a DSP to bring up the lower frequencies at moderate levels to extend much lower than its driver should. Plus it has aptX bluetooth and treble bass EQ, both of which would come in handy.

I guess I could try the Isignia first but the Fluance seem a level better based on the reviews.

Last edited by checker9; 09-02-2019 at 05:59 PM.
checker9 is offline  
post #21 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Its only $19 remaining on a gift card. What is bad about Fluance speakers? The reviews all indicate it is performing outside its price point. I read reviews the Insignia has no crossover and full signal is going to to tweeter and woofer and causes muddy mids and vocals. I can find no measurements from reviews to confirm but there are a few reviews with measurements on the Fluance, including this site, and they show it to be a flat curve and it has a DSP to bring up the lower frequencies at moderate levels to extend much lower than its driver should. Plus it has aptX bluetooth and treble bass EQ.
I guess I could try the Isignia first

Fluance makes mediocre speakers at best. They aren't very well regarded around here, either. I had their top of the line Signature towers, bookshelf speakers, center channel and a pair of their lower priced bookshelf speakers (can't remember the model) and they were all poor. The lower priced bookshelf speakers were crap. They all had an issue with the woofers making popping noises with deeper bass. When I reached out to Fluance they acknowledged this was an issue, but they stated it was usually just with one speaker in a pair for those who had the issue. Funny, all of mine had the problem. Anyway, sent them all back and will never buy Fluance ever again. I guess you could try both the Fluance and Insigina and see if they Fluance is worth 2x the price and send the loser back. The Ai40 is a sealed cabinet, so that could be a benefit if you wanted to wall mount them. From what I've read on them, they have a substantial background "hissing" sound. And the DSP is apparently pretty "wonky" and create distortion and break-up.


EDIT: If you decide to give the Insignia speakers a try, first time google express checkout users get 20% off using code SEPTSAVE19.
https://express.google.com/product/I...503145371198_0

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 09-02-2019 at 06:15 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #22 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I read reviews the Insignia has no crossover and full signal is going to to tweeter
I find this hard to believe. The tweeter wouldn't last long when fed full range signal.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is offline  
post #23 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Fluance makes mediocre speakers at best. They aren't very well regarded around here, either. I had their top of the line Signature towers, bookshelf speakers, center channel and a pair of their lower priced bookshelf speakers (can't remember the model) and they were all poor. The lower priced bookshelf speakers were crap. They all had an issue with the woofers making popping noises with deeper bass. When I reached out to Fluance they acknowledged this was an issue, but they stated it was usually just with one speaker in a pair for those who had the issue. Funny, all of mine had the problem. Anyway, sent them all back and will never buy Fluance ever again. I guess you could try both the Fluance and Insigina and see if they Fluance is worth 2x the price and send the loser back. The Ai40 is a sealed cabinet, so that could be a benefit if you wanted to wall mount them. From what I've read on them, they have a substantial background "hissing" sound. And the DSP is apparently pretty "wonky" and create distortion and break-up.


EDIT: If you decide to give the Insignia speakers a try, first time google express checkout users get 20% off using code SEPTSAVE19.
https://express.google.com/product/I...503145371198_0
Thanks. I have used Google Express before for same deal on a modem.

I might buy those at Best Buy to try.

Also, I think ill wait until November to get some passive speakers - should be good sales. And get a https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-593 to power them.
checker9 is offline  
post #24 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
I find this hard to believe. The tweeter wouldn't last long when fed full range signal.
People stated they are clones of the Micca MB42. I do no think the Micca had much crossovers. It guess it had some basic one. A crossover kit was offered as a DIY for them. I guess you could add it to the Insignia's but would increase cost $30 or $60 - not sure if two or one in the order: http://www.miccastore.com/crossover-...iii-p-114.html

Last edited by checker9; 09-02-2019 at 07:04 PM.
checker9 is offline  
post #25 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I guess ill increase my budget to $300 to $400.

First, would the Dayton Audio APA102BT Class D Stereo 60 WPC Bluetooth Amplifier be enough to power any speakers for my purpose.

Also, what do people think about the Elac? I thought they cost more but a pair of the 5.25 inch are $200.
checker9 is offline  
post #26 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I guess ill increase my budget to $300 to $400.

First, would the Dayton Audio APA102BT Class D Stereo 60 WPC Bluetooth Amplifier be enough to power any speakers for my purpose.

Also, what do people think about the Elac? I thought they cost more but a pair of the 5.25 inch are $200.

With a budget up to $400, that changes the game quite a bit. The Pioneer SX-10AE 2 channel receiver is $150 or less. That is 100wpc and also has a subwoofer pre-out, so that would be a plus if you decided to add a subwoofer down the road. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6150411



That leaves $250 or less for a pair of bookshelf speakers and there are quite a few good options in this price range. A couple of options I'll throw at you are the Polk S20 ($200) and JBL Arena 130 ($99). Both of these are larger bookshelf speakers with 6.5"and 7" woofers. Both would be great options for what you are needing, but the Arena 130 for $99/shipped is a really great price. If you think you might want to go for those, you might act fast before the deal is gone. Here are links to both.



https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Si...tronics&sr=1-1


https://www.frys.com/product/8435118...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #27 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
With a budget up to $400, that changes the game quite a bit. The Pioneer SX-10AE 2 channel receiver is $150 or less. That is 100wpc and also has a subwoofer pre-out, so that would be a plus if you decided to add a subwoofer down the road. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6150411



That leaves $250 or less for a pair of bookshelf speakers and there are quite a few good options in this price range. A couple of options I'll throw at you are the Polk S20 ($200) and JBL Arena 130 ($99). Both of these are larger bookshelf speakers with 6.5"and 7" woofers. Both would be great options for what you are needing, but the Arena 130 for $99/shipped is a really great price. If you think you might want to go for those, you might act fast before the deal is gone. Here are links to both.



https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Si...tronics&sr=1-1


https://www.frys.com/product/8435118...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You think that frys ARena 130 is a single speaker or a pair?

It states "2 x JBL Arena 130" but that is hard to believe.
checker9 is offline  
post #28 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
You think that frys ARena 130 is a single speaker or a pair?

It states "2 x JBL Arena 130" but that is hard to believe.

Those sell in pairs. I actually bought those from frys.com several months ago. For under $100/pair they would be great gym speakers. If white isn't your thing, they also have them in black for $120. Frys even has the Arena 180 towers for $98/shipped. That does come in a single. Still, for $198 that's a great price for some fairly large floor speakers. Those coupled with the Pioneer receiver I listed previously would have you right around $350.



Arena 130 in black.
https://www.frys.com/product/8435128...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG



link to the 180 towers. Free shipping, also.

https://www.frys.com/product/8435178...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #29 of 114 Old 09-02-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Those sell in pairs. I actually bought those from frys.com several months ago. For under $100/pair they would be great gym speakers. If white isn't your thing, they also have them in black for $120. Frys even has the Arena 180 towers for $98/shipped. That does come in a single. Still, for $198 that's a great price for some fairly large floor speakers. Those coupled with the Pioneer receiver I listed previously would have you right around $350.



Arena 130 in black.
https://www.frys.com/product/8435128...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG



link to the 180 towers. Free shipping, also.

https://www.frys.com/product/8435178...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
The towers are tempting since I will not use a subwoofer in thsi set-up. Reading some reviews, they might get muddy and no sound as good for general music as the bookshelf. Thoughts?
checker9 is offline  
post #30 of 114 Old 09-03-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I actually bought those from frys.com several months ago. For under $100/pair they would be great gym speakers. If white isn't your thing, they also have them in black for $120.
Same here. I bought mine to use as garage speakers. I will be supplementing them with a sub, although honestly, for music, in a smaller room they produce decent amount of bass just on their own. That said, the OP has a fairly large room, so a sub may be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Frys even has the Arena 180 towers for $98/shipped. That does come in a single. Still, for $198 that's a great price for some fairly large floor speakers.
The 180s are actually showing as $49 a piece right now. That's some crazy deal, if Fry's is willing to ship them for free.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA

Last edited by Pete7874; 09-03-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Pete7874 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off