13Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 09-02-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Advice on Atmos 7.2.4 setup

Hey guys,

I'm about to finally get my basement finished and am putting in a small theater. (see attached)

I'd like to do Atmos and am wondering what would make sense for this space. Is something like a 9.1.2 about right? I'll run the lines for as many speakers as makes sense, even if I can't get all of them right now. The room has 9' ceilings with the dimensions shown in the image.

I've never done Atmos before - are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? (I'll be running the low voltage wiring myself.)

I'd also like to get your advice on the speaker system. Is there a general consensus on a "best bang for the buck" Atmos system? I don't have a specific budget in mind yet because I'm not sure what my starting point should be...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater.png
Views:	87
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	2610506  

Last edited by Dalz; 10-16-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 09-02-2019, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalz View Post
Hey guys,

I'm about to finally get my basement finished and am putting in a small theater. (see attached)

I'd like to do Atmos and am wondering what would make sense for this space. Is something like a 9.1.2 about right? I'll run the lines for as many speakers as makes sense, even if I can't get all of them right now. The room has 9' ceilings with the dimensions shown in the image.

I've never done Atmos before - are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? (I'll be running the low voltage wiring myself.)

I'd also like to get your advice on the speaker system. Is there a general consensus on a "best bang for the buck" Atmos system? I don't have a specific budget in mind yet because I'm not sure what my starting point should be...

Thanks!
I believe you mean 7.1.2? Based on your seating, you will want the ATMOS speakers to be located where they are pointing down at a 80 degree angle. From your diagram it doesn't look like you have room for a 2nd pair of ceiling ATMOS speakers.
Unless you decide to move the seating forward. Assumption is that the room will be used for movies/TV more than music?

Here's the Dolby speaker placement guidelines for ATMOS. Note that it changes depending on how many total speakers you plan to use. With the seating near the back of the room, its questionable whether you should go more than 5.x.2.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

Regarding budget, you really need to determine how much you want to spend and then plan your budget accordingly to figure out best bang for buck of your specific budget. The sky is the limit on what can be spent. Then you can decide if you want to tweak the budget to get more.
post #3 of 71 Old 09-02-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 781
This is my personal opinion, not an expert. With 11 channel receiver I would aim for a 7.2.4 setup. That seat right next to the wall will not be great, but you won't be sitting there right? I would suggest with 22' length I would double the distance from the back wall to the back of the seats to like 6'. I am assuming being so close to the wall you will be doing in-walls and in-ceilings. I suggest going and listening to what you like for the mains and surrounds. No need to go crazy on the ceiling speakers for Atmos. I would divert budget to really good subs and two of them. Here are the Dolby guidelines.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

Here is my experience. December '17 I started my room with my almost 20 year old speakers using a set of zone 2 outdoor speakers as my ceiling and futon. Bought a 7.2 receiver and my OLED TV. I soon realized with the new tracks my old sub was inadequate. Feb 18 I got my first real sub and here we are now and I have 3. Aug '18 I changed out my receiver to a 9.2 but 11.2 processing. I also got a matching set of speakers I hung from the ceiling off ebay so I had 4. I have since replaced those 4 with upgraded speakers. There is a better difference with the better speakers using my demo material but not a dramatic one. That is why I say don't go crazy on the ceiling speakers. But 4 is definitely better than 2, even in my small space Subs made a huge impact on the viewing experience for me. Here is picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190902_171900.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	844.7 KB
ID:	2610514  
SuperFist likes this.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, been away for a while but circling back to this now. Thanks for your replies, guys.

I'm inexperienced enough to know that I don't really know what I don't know, but I've done some more reading/research and decided I'm definitely going 7.2.4. I may adjust the seats for more space behind them, possibly spread them out a bit as well, but I don't want to move them too far into the room as I plan on either painting the front wall or possibly putting a screen in front of it, so the screen will be pretty good size (120-140" I think?). This will be a dedicated theater room for movies and gaming. My budget will be in the $5-10k range for hardware.

• For a 7.2.4 I would need to either go with dual amps or something like the Denon X6500H, is that correct?
  • In this price range am I better off putting together a variety of speakers from different manufacturers or going with something like a Klipsch series set?
  • Would love some recommendations for speakers in this budget. (I did just buy a HSU Hybrid 15 5.1 set for the living room and am loving it.)
  • Is it safe to say that free standing speakers have better sound than in-wall? Some of the Klipsch I've seen are on-wall - I'd guess they still qualify as free standing?
  • If I end up going with a screen, I'm better off putting the center channel behind it, right? This isn't specifically a speaker question, but would I just install the screen a foot or so in front of the wall so there's room for the speakers behind it?

I'm sure I'm missing things here (maybe not even asking the right questions to begin with!) but looking forward to your suggestions.
post #5 of 71 Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, been away for a while but circling back to this now. Thanks for your replies, guys.

I'm inexperienced enough to know that I don't really know what I don't know, but I've done some more reading/research and decided I'm definitely going 7.2.4. I may adjust the seats for more space behind them, possibly spread them out a bit as well, but I don't want to move them too far into the room as I plan on either painting the front wall or possibly putting a screen in front of it, so the screen will be pretty good size (120-140" I think?). This will be a dedicated theater room for movies and gaming. My budget will be in the $5-10k range for hardware.

• For a 7.2.4 I would need to either go with dual amps or something like the Denon X6500H, is that correct?
  • In this price range am I better off putting together a variety of speakers from different manufacturers or going with something like a Klipsch series set?
  • Would love some recommendations for speakers in this budget. (I did just buy a HSU Hybrid 15 5.1 set for the living room and am loving it.)
  • Is it safe to say that free standing speakers have better sound than in-wall? Some of the Klipsch I've seen are on-wall - I'd guess they still qualify as free standing?
  • If I end up going with a screen, I'm better off putting the center channel behind it, right? This isn't specifically a speaker question, but would I just install the screen a foot or so in front of the wall so there's room for the speakers behind it?

I'm sure I'm missing things here (maybe not even asking the right questions to begin with!) but looking forward to your suggestions.
What components are you aiming to have covered in the 5-10K budget? AVR, 11 speakers and two subs? Any other devices? Projector, UHD player etc?

You'll definitely have to move the seating up if you want to have room for fronts, side surrounds and rear surrounds.

For amps, you can go with a smaller AVR plus external amp (provided the AVR has pre-outs), or go with the 11 channel AVR. Most people use the external amp to get better value, plus it gives you the opportunity to allocate more power to the fronts and center which do most of the work.

Generally free standing are going to be better than in wall/on wall. But you could certainly go in wall for the side and rear surrounds, as these speakers are not as critical for the overall sound quality.

Center channel can go behind the screen if you have an acoustically transparent screen. Or you can have the center mounted high or low, pointing up/down towards the main listening position.

Definitely go with a mix of speakers, you have enough budget that will give you choices.

Try to allocate as much of the budget as you can to the subwoofers, front and center channel, and AVR/Amp.
post #6 of 71 Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Can you move the door to the 2'9" wall ? If not how about changing the existing door to a bifold ?
Then you can position the seating further forward - which is recommended to be as far off the back wall as possible - and central Left to Right.
This will result in much better surround and Atmos speaker placement relative to the seating.

Last edited by niterida; 10-17-2019 at 12:00 AM.
post #7 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm planning on this covering all of the speakers and receiver (or receiver plus amp), no players. If there are good speaker options that would also allow the projector to be covered in that and not compromise the sound, that would be great. But I'm expecting the projector to be in the $4k+ range so the budget may have to stretch a bit to cover it.

Screen would definitely add cost, so if that's not really necessary and I could just paint the wall with speakers placed around the projection area (center underneath) that would be good. Is there a substantial difference in sound with center behind the screen vs. underneath? I'll have recliners and no sloped floor, so I guess that's not much of an offset with the center under the projection.

For the receiver, I could go with something like a Denon X4400 instead of the 6500 - if I did that, what amps would you guys recommend looking into?

For speakers, Rythmik seems to be a popular choice for subs. How do they compare to HSU? I mentioned I did just get the VTF15H Mk2 (two, actually) for the living room with their HB1 and HC1 for the rest and am digging that a lot. If I can do in-wall for the surrounds and not sacrifice sound, that would help since the room is a little bit narrow.

I don't think in-wall will work for the rears (there's a door on one side and the recessed area is where I'll be putting the AV equipment)) so I could either do stands or possibly drop them down from the ceiling. I know I'll need to keep those at ear level for separation from the ceiling speakers.

Maybe Paradigms for fronts/center? Like most people, I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck. I've been reading through a lot of posts and am finding it a little hard narrowing things down, so would love to hear your guys' thoughts/suggestions.
post #8 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Can you move the door to the 2'9" wall ? If not how about changing the existing door to a bifold ?
Then you can position the seating further forward - which is recommended to be as far off the back wall as possible - and central Left to Right.
This will result in much better surround and Atmos speaker placement relative to the seating.
The door can't be moved (there's a cold storage area behind there). I could look into some kind of folding door, but either way, I could definitely move the seats up. I had originally placed them at the back to match the "optimal" THX seating distance from the screen but I'd rather optimize for sound and lose a couple/few feet. Just don't want to feel like you're too close to the screen...
post #9 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
The door can't be moved (there's a cold storage area behind there). I could look into some kind of folding door, but either way, I could definitely move the seats up. I had originally placed them at the back to match the "optimal" THX seating distance from the screen but I'd rather optimize for sound and lose a couple/few feet. Just don't want to feel like you're too close to the screen...
Ignore THX seating recommendations - a lot of people on here sit at 1 x screen width. I know I do - 3.6m from a 3.6m wide screen and it is just right
post #10 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Take a look at Triad. www.triadspeakers.com

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall, On-Wall and angled In-Ceiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

I'm a proponent of keeping the speaker family the same for all fronts and surrounds -- even Atmos if possible. The good news is that Triad has both in-wall and on-wall surrounds that should work well for your room.

Let me know if you want me to email you my Triad Speaker Matching Chart. Also, visit us at the Triad Owners Thread here on AVS.

[email protected]
post #11 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Move the seating forward, but do not have your seated ears at the 3/4 point of the length of the room. This will allow you to go with a smaller screen size, while still having the same visual impact at your seat (an eight foot wide screen viewed at eight feet will have the same impression as a ten foot wide screen viewed at ten feet). This will, in turn, allow you to place speakers to the sides of the screen, but away from the wall (a common mistake folks make is to shove the speaker into a corner, they need room to breathe).

When placing your surround speakers, look at placing the side surrounds at the 80 degree point on the wall (slightly in front of the seated ear) a bit above ear height (experiment and see what position sounds best). Although this config is not a Dolby recommended positioning, it has been tested by quite a few folks here and seems to be a good option when there are rear surrounds in play and the seating is near the side walls.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #12 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm planning on this covering all of the speakers and receiver (or receiver plus amp), no players. If there are good speaker options that would also allow the projector to be covered in that and not compromise the sound, that would be great. But I'm expecting the projector to be in the $4k+ range so the budget may have to stretch a bit to cover it.

Screen would definitely add cost, so if that's not really necessary and I could just paint the wall with speakers placed around the projection area (center underneath) that would be good. Is there a substantial difference in sound with center behind the screen vs. underneath? I'll have recliners and no sloped floor, so I guess that's not much of an offset with the center under the projection.

For the receiver, I could go with something like a Denon X4400 instead of the 6500 - if I did that, what amps would you guys recommend looking into?

For speakers, Rythmik seems to be a popular choice for subs. How do they compare to HSU? I mentioned I did just get the VTF15H Mk2 (two, actually) for the living room with their HB1 and HC1 for the rest and am digging that a lot. If I can do in-wall for the surrounds and not sacrifice sound, that would help since the room is a little bit narrow.

I don't think in-wall will work for the rears (there's a door on one side and the recessed area is where I'll be putting the AV equipment)) so I could either do stands or possibly drop them down from the ceiling. I know I'll need to keep those at ear level for separation from the ceiling speakers.

Maybe Paradigms for fronts/center? Like most people, I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck. I've been reading through a lot of posts and am finding it a little hard narrowing things down, so would love to hear your guys' thoughts/suggestions.
If you move the seating forward, can you center the screen on the front wall, and move the projector to the right to accomodate this? This will give you a wider listening area and improve the viewing angle for the people sitting on the ends. Plus it will make the seating less cramped overall.

The benefit to having the center channel behind the screen is 1) Aesthetics of hiding the speaker 2) It facilitates the use of a floor standing speaker as your center channel. Ideally the front left right and center speakers match, if you can pull this off it is an advantage. Most people are not able to do this and consequently purchase a dedicated center channel speaker. With your projector setup, its something to consider. But if you want to save money, a dedicated center channel can work fine.

The Denon 4400H and the Outlaw 5000 external amp is a popular combination. I use this config and love it. I have my front, left, center and side surrounds driven by the Outlaw. Techno Dad has a review of this combo on Youtube that you might want to check out.

Rythmiks are very well regarded. HSUs are great, many consider them the best bang for your buck. Consider the RSL C34e as inwall and ATMOS speakers

I think you can do better than Paradigm for value.
post #13 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
If you move the seating forward, can you center the screen on the front wall, and move the projector to the right to accomodate this? This will give you a wider listening area and improve the viewing angle for the people sitting on the ends. Plus it will make the seating less cramped overall.

The benefit to having the center channel behind the screen is 1) Aesthetics of hiding the speaker 2) It facilitates the use of a floor standing speaker as your center channel. Ideally the front left right and center speakers match, if you can pull this off it is an advantage. Most people are not able to do this and consequently purchase a dedicated center channel speaker. With your projector setup, its something to consider. But if you want to save money, a dedicated center channel can work fine.

The Denon 4400H and the Outlaw 5000 external amp is a popular combination. I use this config and love it. I have my front, left, center and side surrounds driven by the Outlaw. Techno Dad has a review of this combo on Youtube that you might want to check out.

Rythmiks are very well regarded. HSUs are great, many consider them the best bang for your buck. Consider the RSL C34e as inwall and ATMOS speakers

I think you can do better than Paradigm for value.
Totally agree on the Denon 4400H and Outlaw 5000! A great combination!
post #14 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm going to extend the screen wall out another foot or so and make the door a bit smaller, so that will give me a little more room to center the seating. The projector can be moved closer to center line, but since the front wall is only about 10' with a 36" door on the right, I imagine I'll leave it centered on the screen space.

Also, related to that offset spacing with 10' screen wall vs. 3' door, that does kind of add a challenge for front right speaker positioning. If I place it near the right wall, it's right in the way of the entrance. If I move it to the edge of the front wall, that brings it in three+ feet. Not ideal, though if I keep the seats essentially within the 10' space that should be ok.

@PlanetAVS did you mean the RSL C34e could be used for both in-wall surrounds in addition to in-ceiling? Would you happen to know if there's an ideal distance/ratio for placing the Atmos speakers in relation to the seating area? Looking at the Dolby guide it doesn't seem to indicate what that spacing should be other than the two in front and the two behind the seating area.

I like your recommendations on the Denon and Outlaw - I think I may go that route.

@RayGuy , do you mean you shouldn't move the seating any further in from the rear wall than 1/4 the length of the room? Also, is there kind of a standard distance from the wall that you should bring your speakers in? 1-2 feet?

@Dawn Gordon I'll take a look at the Triads. Sure, that would be great if you would send me the speaker matching chart.

I have to be honest, the more I read, the more I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole and getting more and more out of my depth... From acoustic treatments, to soundproofing, to speaker placement, etc... I had no idea when I started this how much I didn't know. Ha.
post #15 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and a question about in-ceiling/in-wall speakers. Should you box the space the speakers will sit in and/or coat that box in any way, if that makes sense?
post #16 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm going to extend the screen wall out another foot or so and make the door a bit smaller, so that will give me a little more room to center the seating. The projector can be moved closer to center line, but since the front wall is only about 10' with a 36" door on the right, I imagine I'll leave it centered on the screen space.

Also, related to that offset spacing with 10' screen wall vs. 3' door, that does kind of add a challenge for front right speaker positioning. If I place it near the right wall, it's right in the way of the entrance. If I move it to the edge of the front wall, that brings it in three+ feet. Not ideal, though if I keep the seats essentially within the 10' space that should be ok.

@PlanetAVS did you mean the RSL C34e could be used for both in-wall surrounds in addition to in-ceiling? Would you happen to know if there's an ideal distance/ratio for placing the Atmos speakers in relation to the seating area? Looking at the Dolby guide it doesn't seem to indicate what that spacing should be other than the two in front and the two behind the seating area.

I like your recommendations on the Denon and Outlaw - I think I may go that route.

@RayGuy , do you mean you shouldn't move the seating any further in from the rear wall than 1/4 the length of the room? Also, is there kind of a standard distance from the wall that you should bring your speakers in? 1-2 feet?

@Dawn Gordon I'll take a look at the Triads. Sure, that would be great if you would send me the speaker matching chart.

I have to be honest, the more I read, the more I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole and getting more and more out of my depth... From acoustic treatments, to soundproofing, to speaker placement, etc... I had no idea when I started this how much I didn't know. Ha.

Correct, the RSLs can be used as inwall or in ceiling. For 7.2.4, Dolby recommends that each ceiling pair to be angled 45 degrees down to the main listening position. The distance to the seating area will be based on the angle, which will be dependent on the ceiling height
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
post #17 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Correct, the RSLs can be used as inwall or in ceiling. For 7.2.4, Dolby recommends that each ceiling pair to be angled 45 degrees down to the main listening position. The distance to the seating area will be based on the angle, which will be dependent on the ceiling height
Oh duh, yeah, the angle will determine the distance. Thanks. :P
post #18 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalz;58724030

[MENTION=7603356
RayGuy, do you mean you shouldn't move the seating any further in from the rear wall than 1/4 the length of the room? Also, is there kind of a standard distance from the wall that you should bring your speakers in? 1-2 feet?
The exact 1/2 and 3/4 points in a room tend to be problematic with bass frequencies. So, I just suggested that you avoid the exact 3/4 point, since that appeared to be in the range of your seating position options.

As to speaker distance from the wall (to the side and behind) it varies quite a bit with the speaker. I could go into the details, but I don't want to let you fall farther into that rabbit hole. Generally, the larger the speaker, the more room it likes, but there are always exceptions. The best approach is to get the speakers in-house and experiment with distance from the wall behind, to the side, and toe-in, until you get the best sound at your seat.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #19 of 71 Old 10-23-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The exact 1/2 and 3/4 points in a room tend to be problematic with bass frequencies. So, I just suggested that you avoid the exact 3/4 point, since that appeared to be in the range of your seating position options.
Ah, I didn't know that - thanks. I'll mess around with speaker distances from the walls once I get them.
post #20 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and we show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all we're offering is the truth. Nothing more."

I took the red pill.

Note: Don't compromise on your Atmos speakers, esp., if you listen to music in DSU. I returned two sets before I was finally satisfied. You don't have to go high, but don't go low. Buy once cry once.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"

Last edited by Azekecse; 10-24-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #21 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

I'm going to need your email address in order to send you the Triad Speaker Matching Chart. You can PM it to me or email me at the address below.

[email protected]
post #22 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Note: Don't compromise on your Atmos speakers, esp., if you listen to music in DSU. I returned two sets before I was finally satisfied. You don't have to go high, but don't go low. Buy once cry once.
Love The Matrix. Just curious, what speakers did you end up with for Atmos?
post #23 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I'm going to need your email address in order to send you the Triad Speaker Matching Chart. You can PM it to me or email me at the address below.
Emailed you. Thanks!
post #24 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Love The Matrix. Just curious, what speakers did you end up with for Atmos?
I ended up with the Sonance VP86 SST/SUR, wanted the ML Vanquish, but cost 2x as much. These specific Sonances are great for Atmos both music and movies.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"

Last edited by Azekecse; 10-24-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #25 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
I ended up with the Sonance VP86 SST/SUR,
Thanks. Wow, those are kinda spendy. What would you get from those that you wouldn't get from the RSL C34e that were mentioned earlier in this thread? I see that they are kevlar laminated, so I'm sure that adds to the cost and gives you longer lasting speakers?
post #26 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

As I'm getting to the final stages here and mapping out speaker placement, I have a question. Here's an updated image (I had a dimension wrong initially and have made a couple of adjustments) and one with the general idea for placement.

Since the seating area and screen are essentially in a 3-4 feet left-offset from center of the room, how would you guys recommend placing the speakers? Like I have them indicated here, basically discarding the 3-4 foot space along the right wall (aside from where the in-wall speaker will be) and mapping it out as a 15x10 space instead of the actual 15x14?

On a side note, what kind of doors/material would you guys recommend for closing off the closet area at the back where my AV equipment and shelving will be?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theater.png
Views:	24
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	2631924   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater speakers.png
Views:	26
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2631928  

Last edited by Dalz; 10-24-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #27 of 71 Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
As I'm getting to the final stages here and mapping out speaker placement, I have a question. Here's an updated image (I had a dimension wrong initially and have made a couple of adjustments) and one with the general idea for placement.

Since the seating area and screen are essentially in a 3-4 feet left-offset from center of the room, how would you guys recommend placing the speakers? Like I have them indicated here, basically discarding the 3-4 foot space along the right wall (aside from where the in-wall speaker will be) and mapping it out as a 15x10 space instead of the actual 15x14?

On a side note, what kind of doors/material would you guys recommend for closing off the closet area at the back where my AV equipment and shelving will be?
I haven't checked the angles, but if the large squares at the front are subs, you may wish to swap them with the LR fronts, to get closer to the Dolby recommended angles.

(The LR fronts are supposed to be 22-30° off axis.)
post #28 of 71 Old 10-25-2019, 12:34 AM

Have you thought of turning your design 90deg clockwise ?

Seating still 10' from 10' wide screen
Seating 3' from rear wall allows just enough room for rear heights and rear surrounds
Side surrounds no longer too close
Plenty of access though both doors
Plenty of room for front L and R
Easy access to AV area

Virtually no compromises
post #29 of 71 Old 10-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Wow, those are kinda spendy. What would you get from those that you wouldn't get from the RSL C34e that were mentioned earlier in this thread? I see that they are kevlar laminated, so I'm sure that adds to the cost and gives you longer lasting speakers?
I got a deal I couldn’t refuse. There are also a few other differences, RSL=2Way vs Sonance=3Way, Freq response, sensitivity levels, etc.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited by Azekecse; 10-25-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #30 of 71 Old 10-25-2019, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
(The LR fronts are supposed to be 22-30° off axis.)
Good catch - yeah, those should be swapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page