Sony Announces Signature Series SA-Z1 Nearfield Powered Speakers at RMAF 2019 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By barrelbelly
  • 4 Post By KidHorn
  • 1 Post By avsBuddy
  • 1 Post By SnellTHX

post #1 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9083 Post(s)
Liked: 16029
Sony Announces Signature Series SA-Z1 Nearfield Powered Speakers at RMAF 2019

I'll check these out tomorrow...

Full press release:

SAN DIEGO, Sept. 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the latest addition to its Signature Series with the SA-Z1 near field powered speaker system. This speaker system is ideal for those who pursue music with ultimate resolution and spatial representation in their own personal space. Its variety of input functions allow for easy installation with current personal or headphone audio setups.

"The Signature Series pursues sound excellence for the personal listening experience by bringing together Sony's suite of audio technologies cultivated over several decades," said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics North America. "Our new SA-Z1 speakers will deliver a deep, rich and high-resolution listening experience with a presence that is so real, you almost feel like you can reach out and touch it."

Orchestration of Sony's audio expertise

The Signature Series advances sound to a new realm of audio engagement – taking the experience from listening to feeling. With the SA-Z1, users can experience Sony's ultimate audio resolution and sound stage.

The acoustic design concept of SA-Z1 is an ideal point sound source. The physical layout of the driver units, along with the time alignment of soundwaves from each driver unit, is the key in realizing this concept. A coaxial layout of woofers and tweeters is an optimal physical arrangement to better integrate the sound from every driver unit. Time alignment of the sound waves is achieved by Sony's unique algorithm on the FPGA processor. This precisely controls the timing of every driver unit's output so that the leading edge of the sound waves align. Thanks to this engineering, the SA-Z1 produces a level of audio quality, resolution and sound stage like no speaker before it.

The SA-Z1 speakers reproduce a wide and deep acoustic field. Users can experience the height and depth of the music thanks to the "Tsuzumi1" layout with side ducts. Additionally, the I-ARRAYTM System consists of three tweeters that work together as one to ensure wide directivity and to deliver rich musical expression. The D.A. Hybrid Amplifier Circuit, inherited from the TA-ZH1ES Signature Series headphone amplifier, has evolved with a newly applied Gallium Nitride (GaN) power semiconductor. GaN significantly reduces distortion and gives 100kHz reproduction ability to the D.A. Hybrid Amplifier Circuit.

The SA-Z1 has a solid and resonance-free body structure that delivers clear and pure sound. The enclosure is made of six pieces of aluminum plate. Every plate is joined in a distinct way, inspired by Japanese traditional construction methods.

Compatible with personal audio setups

Consumers can easily install the SA-Z1 in current personal or headphone audio setups using its variety of digital and analogue inputs. A PC, Walkman® and other Sony Signature Series music players make for perfect pairings. The SA-Z1 is designed to use in a personal space, such as a desktop environment. Because near field speakers are relatively free from room acoustic conditions that affect audio performance, the SA-Z1 effortlessly spreads out its large sound stage.

Discover personalized sound

The SA-Z1 has four unique sound tuning settings, with the default position designed to release the full musical potential of an audio track. Users can also fine tune the sound to their personal taste without any signal loss. Consumers can change the speakers' settings with ease, including:

• blend ratio of the digital and analogue amplifier
  • control of the assist woofer motion
  • cut-off frequency of the assist woofer
  • the "assist tweeter" time alignment

With these customizable functions, users can create the ideal sound tuned specifically to their ears.

For product additional specifications, please visit: https://www.sony.com/electronics/speakers/sa-z1

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-10-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can you really call something with multiple tweeters a point source? Lol

Given that it's being advertised with the wm1z and taz1ehs I assume it's going to be in the 3k price range.

I doubt this thing will be better than cheaper coaxial options like the Kef LS50 or Technics sb-c700
post #3 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post

Given that it's being advertised with the wm1z and taz1ehs I assume it's going to be in the 3k price range.

I doubt this thing will be better than cheaper coaxial options like the Kef LS50 or Technics sb-c700
Sony makes excellent speakers when they put their minds to it. I suspect these will at least 3k for each speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post

Here you go with the ass-umptions...

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #5 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 460
It looks like a kitchen appliance

post #6 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 47
These are going to be $8,000. lmao

Also that triple tweeter setup has vertical axis lobing that's decidedly non-coaxial-like, according to the SS-NA5ES measurements. I'm not sure these would be that great nearfield below ear-level like they show on the marketing material.

Last edited by Jakeshields; 09-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
i'll check these out tomorrow...

full press release:

San diego, sept. 5, 2019 /prnewswire/ -- sony electronics inc. Today announced the latest addition to its signature series with the sa-z1 near field powered speaker system. This speaker system is ideal for those who pursue music with ultimate resolution and spatial representation in their own personal space. Its variety of input functions allow for easy installation with current personal or headphone audio setups.

"the signature series pursues sound excellence for the personal listening experience by bringing together sony's suite of audio technologies cultivated over several decades," said mike fasulo, president and chief operating officer of sony electronics north america. "our new sa-z1 speakers will deliver a deep, rich and high-resolution listening experience with a presence that is so real, you almost feel like you can reach out and touch it."

orchestration of sony's audio expertise

the signature series advances sound to a new realm of audio engagement – taking the experience from listening to feeling. With the sa-z1, users can experience sony's ultimate audio resolution and sound stage.

The acoustic design concept of sa-z1 is an ideal point sound source. The physical layout of the driver units, along with the time alignment of soundwaves from each driver unit, is the key in realizing this concept. A coaxial layout of woofers and tweeters is an optimal physical arrangement to better integrate the sound from every driver unit. Time alignment of the sound waves is achieved by sony's unique algorithm on the fpga processor. This precisely controls the timing of every driver unit's output so that the leading edge of the sound waves align. Thanks to this engineering, the sa-z1 produces a level of audio quality, resolution and sound stage like no speaker before it.

The sa-z1 speakers reproduce a wide and deep acoustic field. Users can experience the height and depth of the music thanks to the "tsuzumi1" layout with side ducts. Additionally, the i-arraytm system consists of three tweeters that work together as one to ensure wide directivity and to deliver rich musical expression. The d.a. Hybrid amplifier circuit, inherited from the ta-zh1es signature series headphone amplifier, has evolved with a newly applied gallium nitride (gan) power semiconductor. Gan significantly reduces distortion and gives 100khz reproduction ability to the d.a. Hybrid amplifier circuit.

The sa-z1 has a solid and resonance-free body structure that delivers clear and pure sound. The enclosure is made of six pieces of aluminum plate. Every plate is joined in a distinct way, inspired by japanese traditional construction methods.

compatible with personal audio setups

consumers can easily install the sa-z1 in current personal or headphone audio setups using its variety of digital and analogue inputs. A pc, walkman® and other sony signature series music players make for perfect pairings. The sa-z1 is designed to use in a personal space, such as a desktop environment. Because near field speakers are relatively free from room acoustic conditions that affect audio performance, the sa-z1 effortlessly spreads out its large sound stage.

discover personalized sound

the sa-z1 has four unique sound tuning settings, with the default position designed to release the full musical potential of an audio track. Users can also fine tune the sound to their personal taste without any signal loss. Consumers can change the speakers' settings with ease, including:

• blend ratio of the digital and analogue amplifier
  • control of the assist woofer motion
  • cut-off frequency of the assist woofer
  • the "assist tweeter" time alignment

with these customizable functions, users can create the ideal sound tuned specifically to their ears.

For product additional specifications, please visit: https://www.sony.com/electronics/speakers/sa-z1
rmaf 2017???
post #8 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9083 Post(s)
Liked: 16029
Quote:
Originally Posted by openbaffled View Post
rmaf 2017???
Fixed
openbaffled likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 504
"But still, wow on that price,"

No way Mark: it was 'NO' with me. I completely tapped out of the article, immediately after you gave the price quote. And that is an extreme rarity with me on your articles. I concluded these babies were not my huckleberry under any kind of listening environment. At this point in my life...I'd rather pay $500 to hear 2 parrots say hello.
spyboy likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Did they re-use an old CRT monitor for the case?
spyboy, DS-21, sigpig and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 86
As a fan of Sony AR and NA series, I must say these speakers are unattractive. Looks half 90s computer speakers and half back of a Sony CRT monitor from the same era.
spyboy likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I like equipment that's a little overbuilt but this is squarely in the overbuilt-to-a-fault territory like the SCD-1 was.

Life is Lambertian
post #13 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 89
pro monitor use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
"But still, wow on that price,"

No way Mark: it was 'NO' with me. I completely tapped out of the article, immediately after you gave the price quote. And that is an extreme rarity with me on your articles. I concluded these babies were not my huckleberry under any kind of listening environment. At this point in my life...I'd rather pay $500 to hear 2 parrots say hello.
Based on the promotional materials, it's apparent that they are attempting to position this for the "pro" market where a similar sized ATC SCM25a is $8,000. But the photos make it seem that these are toys for rich playboys, so the pros will probably not take these seriously regardless of their specs.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Based on the promotional materials, it's apparent that they are attempting to position this for the "pro" market where a similar sized ATC SCM25a is $8,000. But the photos make it seem that these are toys for rich playboys, so the pros will probably not take these seriously regardless of their specs.
Pros will listen to them then decide. If these catch on, expect some trickle down of the technology, which has always been Sony's thing.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #15 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I think they look really cool. I actually have faith in Sony. Their pro audio products have been amazing in the past.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Pros will listen to them then decide. If these catch on, expect some trickle down of the technology, which has always been Sony's thing.
Yep, the Core series speakers received trickle down, and they sound amazing for the price.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
As a fan of Sony AR and NA series, I must say these speakers are unattractive. Looks half 90s computer speakers and half back of a Sony CRT monitor from the same era.
I don't think pros using them to mix tracks care what their gear looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page