KEF R11 or GoldenEar Triton One.R...? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 09-11-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
I can only speak to the KEFs vs. comparable models from B&W and ML, but to me the KEFs were superior in every way. I will say the amp/receiver made a big difference. I'm sure all testing is on high end equipment, but with any Denon (up to 8500) the KEFs did sound flat, slightly boring and dead. They really opened up with Marantz, more lively and energetic, and Arcam took them to a whole other level (I know Denon and Marantz are the same parent company and share 99.9% of parts, but everyone that heard the audition agreed). This was based on an R11.

I ended up ordering R7s as they fit my room better, coupled with some subs. Good luck - all wonderful speakers.
Are you now running Arcam? Which amp do you have?

I heard the R7's on a lowly 40w/ch Naim Uniti Atom and they were so good that I queued up track #13 on the Gregory Porter album "Take Me To The Alley", which was "Holding On" (with Kem.) There was a sub out in front of them but not hooked up. When the owner of the audio shop came it and that track got to the heavy bass, he walked over to the sub to see "how they sound without the sub." The look on his face when he found the sub unplugged already...priceless. The floor was vibrating, the R7's are that good with Naim. The R11's on the higher-end Naim, even better!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Are you now running Arcam? Which amp do you have?

I heard the R7's on a lowly 40w/ch Naim Uniti Atom and they were so good that I queued up track #13 on the Gregory Porter album "Take Me To The Alley", which was "Holding On" (with Kem.) There was a sub out in front of them but not hooked up. When the owner of the audio shop came it and that track got to the heavy bass, he walked over to the sub to see "how they sound without the sub." The look on his face when he found the sub unplugged already...priceless. The floor was vibrating, the R7's are that good with Naim. The R11's on the higher-end Naim, even better!
That is so great to hear. I i was only able to demo the R11s and was beyond impressed. The price was more than I wanted to pay (keep in mind I started with Q750s and ended up with R7s), coupled with R11s possibly being overkill for the room. I always planned on two subs as well (10bs right now as find it tighter than 12b), and associates that I've come to respect their knowledge and insights also recommended the R7 plus sub setup.

Regarding the receiver, I settled on the Marantz 7013. Started with a Denon 4500, considered the Marantz 6014 but had atmos issues, so moved to the 7013 which cured all issues. I won't deny the Arcam sounded better - just stunning, but the Marantz was the happy compromise when considering budget, video needs, channels and self-calibration. Very happy with it so far (I do not like the port hole with Marantz but have moved past it now).
post #33 of 33 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lightbulb

I would take a pair of Gato Audio FM-50 speakers over these speakers!

The best kept secret on the market..

https://www.gato-audio.com/fm-50.html

Gato Audio was the Hot Room at the 2019 Lone Star Audiofest in Dallas!

https://www.facebook.com/gatoaudio/

Last edited by musicman777; Yesterday at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page