AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   looking to upgrade speakers...... (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3090006-looking-upgrade-speakers.html)

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 03:57 PM

looking to upgrade speakers......

Okay, here is my set up.

Room is 16x22
I am using a Pioneer Elite SCLX801.
Current speakers are Axiom M50 (V2) and a VP100 center channel. Surrounds are QS4s. I am running BIC F12 subs (2)

Im not unhappy with the axioms but Im ready to upgrade and im quite sure I can do a lot better. I have actually thought about upgrading with better axioms......but I wanted to get some opinions here. I will eventually ad a Monoprice monolith 7 amp......but for a few months I will just continue to use the Pioneer for power.

For now I am only looking to upgrade the front towers and center. I will keep the surrounds I have for a while and I actually LOVE the BIC subs.....they are some of the best bang for the buck I have ever had!!!!!

I am really ignorant when it comes to speakers. I just don't know a lot and I realize opinions will vary greatly.

Would a set of used B&W CM9s be a stupid purchase? I have no problems buying used. I have had good luck in the past doing that.

Am I rambling?

HELP!!!!!

Russdawg1 09-10-2019 04:02 PM

Yeah, I think there are plenty of better options out there for the money.

What’s your budget looking like?

Upgrading from those BIC subs would also be a great choice. If you love those, then you’ll absolutely love a true sub that can really dig down to those subsonic frequencies.

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 04:07 PM

Well the BIC subs were an upgrade from the axiom sub I had. It was TERRIBLE. The only real complaint I had about axiom. It truly sucked.

So the BICs seem like they are AMAZING....haha. I will upgrade them at some point. Just not now.

Budget? well, I suppose 2k ish?

Kini62 09-10-2019 04:07 PM

Upgrade the subs. The Bics are good for what they cost but pale in comparison to even entry level ID subs.

Russdawg1 09-10-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58540166)
Well the BIC subs were an upgrade from the axiom sub I had. It was TERRIBLE. The only real complaint I had about axiom. It truly sucked.

So the BICs seem like they are AMAZING....haha. I will upgrade them at some point. Just not now.

Budget? well, I suppose 2k ish?

It says that the M50’s are $1300/pr, I really don’t think upgrading your speakers with a 2k budget will make a huge difference.

However, upgrading your BIC subs will.

Something like a Rythmik F15HP would be phenomenal for music and theater.

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 04:12 PM

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russdawg1 (Post 58540180)
It says that the M50’s are $1300/pr, I really don’t think upgrading your speakers with a 2k budget will make a huge difference.

However, upgrading your BIC subs will.

Something like a Rythmik F15HP would be phenomenal for music and theater.

so going from the M50 to something like the M80 wouldn't make a difference?

Russdawg1 09-10-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58540190)
so going from the M50 to something like the M80 wouldn't make a difference?

It would sound very similar. An improvement, maybe, but no where near the improvement upgrading your BIC subs would be.

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russdawg1 (Post 58540194)
It would sound very similar. An improvement, maybe, but no where near the improvement upgrading your BIC subs would be.

Ok, I get it.

So to replace my towers and center what kind of budget do I need?

RickD1225 09-10-2019 04:28 PM

You could use the Axiom trade up program to buy a pair of the M100s that get really good reviews, especially if you like the M50 sound.

Class A 09-10-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58540208)
Ok, I get it.

So to replace my towers and center what kind of budget do I need?

What is it specifically you dislike about your speakers? To harsh at the top end? No detail in the mids? What type of sound are you looking for?:)

1983weatherby 09-10-2019 04:33 PM

These should be a big upgrade. My brother in law uses these and I think they are great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-St...4AAOSw3TldbT1C
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-St...8AAOSwAVJdY-pq

maybelooking1 09-10-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A (Post 58540260)
What is it specifically you dislike about your speakers? To harsh at the top end? No detail in the mids? What type of sound are you looking for?:)

honestly, I just figured as old as they are there have been some significant improvements in materials and technology.

They don't sound bad to me. Maybe a bit bright but not really harsh.

I have always been told B&W makes a great speaker. I was thinking about trying some. But if they wont be a significant improvement over what I have then what's the point really?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilk....c100005.m1851

zieglj01 09-10-2019 06:13 PM

Look at the Revel Concerta2 F35 --- sold each
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265F35...oss-Black.html

Monitor Audio Silver 300 -- sold each
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893S30...Black-Oak.html

Monitor Audio Silver 200 -- sold each
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893S20...00-Walnut.html

smithsabom 09-10-2019 07:57 PM

besides the subs, the center is most important,

Ascend acoustic Sierra horizon

Or Tekton impact center (ww.tektondesign.com)

Class A 09-11-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58540318)
honestly, I just figured as old as they are there have been some significant improvements in materials and technology.

They don't sound bad to me. Maybe a bit bright but not really harsh.

I have always been told B&W makes a great speaker. I was thinking about trying some. But if they wont be a significant improvement over what I have then what's the point really?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilk....c100005.m1851

Any dealers near you so you can demo different speakers?:)

maybelooking1 09-11-2019 04:59 AM

maybelooking1 09-11-2019 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A (Post 58541786)
Any dealers near you so you can demo different speakers?:)

unfortunately no.

there is a Best Buy magnolia but thats my only option really.

Class A 09-11-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58541794)
unfortunately no.

Besides B&W they carry Martin Logan Motion, KEF Q, Def Tech and Klipsch. Might be worth stopping by and compare models. All are different in their sound presentation. The final one you pick is up to you.:)

WOKNROX 09-11-2019 06:55 AM

If you like the sound signature of the Axiom and it sounds like you.
Then definitely I'd look at the M80 or the M100 if you can swing them or find a deal on them.
I really have no idea why anyone would give advice on that stepping up to a 3 way speaker with twice the drivers wouldn't a big enough increase in sound quality.

One thing I've come to realized is that most dont know anything about the history of the product they are advising on and are really just going by what's popular.

Ian and Andrew at Axiom are brilliant designers. They are part of and build their speakers at the NRC of Canada. Have work/learned from the best and the likes of Floyd Toole and Ian Paisley (one of my personal favorite speakers designer's)

Axiom speakers are beautifully designed and built. I'd definitely movie up their line.

I do agree that moving away from the BIC subs (as finances allow) to ID companies like HSU and Rythmik along with others is a great idea.

Ryan Statz 09-11-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58540166)

Which Axiom sub was it?

zieglj01 09-11-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58541790)

They are a real nice option --- the Silver series is good

gajCA 09-11-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58541794)
unfortunately no.

As mentioned, your problem is you have very nice speakers.

Where are you located as there might be a manufacturer near you that you know nothing about?

Keep in mind that Crutchfield only charges $75/pair for returning tower speakers within 60 days and buying a pair of towers used does not mean the matching center will be easy to buy so make sure you can find a center before buying any towers used that you won't be able to return, (unlike Crutchfield), if they disappoint.

Crutchfield has first rate brands including Revel, Dynaudio, Focal, PSB etc.

But, I have to agree with others that you don't know what a real sub sounds like so at the very least order a pair of SVS subs as they offer free returns and will give you a sense of what you are missing.

There are better bang for buck subs out there but that isn't because SVS are "bad" it is that they have to charge a small premium to cover the free return shipping cost of heavy subs.

Nobody else does that who sells true 20hz subs.

Kini62 09-11-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybelooking1 (Post 58541790)

Do this, order a pair of SVS' new Pinnacle towers and try them for up to 45 days and determine if they're an improvement and if so if there is enough improvement to warrant the $$$. Or maybe there's no improvement and now you can move onto new subs.

Buying used off of ebay can be a good value but if you don't like what you bought you're stuck with having to resell them.