Am i wrong all my PSB spekaers should be 80Hz? Some help on crossovers! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By djp2k7
  • 1 Post By Elihawk
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By KSpan
  • 1 Post By 8KCRT
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By yepimonfire

post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Am i wrong all my PSB spekaers should be 80Hz? Some help on crossovers!

Everyone here has been so incredible and my project is "almost done".

I have always set my crossovers to 80 Hz on all speakers as this is what i read to do. I just read the 80 Hz isn't necessary the best crossover and could end up with much more dynamic and 3d bass if i set them properly.
Should i set them all at 80, or something else? suddenly i'm confused Here is the cnet link to all my speakers and any advice would be great!

My Center: https://www.cnet.com/products/psb-im...-wired-series/

Front Towers: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/psb-imagine-x2t-review/

Surrounds: https://www.cnet.com/products/psb-im...-wired-series/

Front Heights: https://www.cnet.com/products/svs-pr...2pkwhitegloss/

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 6013
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
SVS PB 1000 / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Do you have a subwoofer? If not, your towers need to be full range and I'd set your center and surrounds to 80hz.

If you have a subwoofer you can try 60hz crossover on your fronts. You can even run them full range but the bass may not blend well with your sub.

Just try some different options and see what sounds best to you. You certainly don't have to follow the everything 80hz guideline
Dustin Windsor likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 2067
While I would say the PSB Imagine X2T Towers spec of hitting 30hz might be "optimistic", the definitely should be a very capable speaker down to 50hz (maybe even 40)...so a crossover of 60 or 80 hz for the mains would be appropriate with your SVS PB1000. As suggested, try 60 vs 80 and see which sounds better to you.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3519 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
reason 80hz gets picked alot of times is that its highest frequency before localization of sub gets heard. and most want the sub playing the bass. however, I have some tiny desktop speakers where I set xover at 200hz. they have 3 inch drivers lol.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
While I would say the PSB Imagine X2T Towers spec of hitting 30hz might be "optimistic", the definitely should be a very capable speaker down to 50hz (maybe even 40)...so a crossover of 60 or 80 hz for the mains would be appropriate with your SVS PB1000. As suggested, try 60 vs 80 and see which sounds better to you.

Are you suggesting to putting my towers at 60 and keep the rest at 80, or all of them at 60?
Cheers!

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 6013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #6 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Do you have a subwoofer? If not, your towers need to be full range and I'd set your center and surrounds to 80hz.

If you have a subwoofer you can try 60hz crossover on your fronts. You can even run them full range but the bass may not blend well with your sub.

Just try some different options and see what sounds best to you. You certainly don't have to follow the everything 80hz guideline

I have an SVS 1000 sub if that helps!

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 6013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #7 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
I have an SVS 1000 sub if that helps!
80Hz should be fine for the speakers you've got since their lowest frequency response spec is far lower than that. You can bump the surrounds up to 100Hz and the heights to 120Hz if you want, but I don't think it would be 100% necessary IMO.

All of my speakers are set to 80Hz, and it's working just fine for me. I had them at 80Hz for LCR/100Hz for surrounds before, but changed it to 80Hz all around because I had my current surrounds as my main fronts before, and 80Hz was just fine for them.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 x 2 (upcoming) | Subwoofer TBD
post #8 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Why not just try different settings and see what you like best?
post #9 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Why not just try different settings and see what you like best?

I'm not sure what i would be listening for to be honest! I'm trying to learn and not sure i have the best ear.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 6013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #10 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I'm not sure what i would be listening for to be honest! I'm trying to learn and not sure i have the best ear.
Yeah, I have tried a bunch of different settings, and my ears have never really been able to tell the difference whether I had surrounds crossed over at 80Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 x 2 (upcoming) | Subwoofer TBD
post #11 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Trial and error is a great way to learn, and it's entirely possible that bumping the crossover up or down a bit makes no appreciable difference in your room. The key variable though that none of us on an internet forum can account for is the acoustics of your room, which only you can experience. Whatever advice you receive here may or may not make a difference in your space, so make some changes and see what, if anything, you like.
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Yeah, I have tried a bunch of different settings, and my ears have never really been able to tell the difference whether I had surrounds crossed over at 80Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz.
You're looking for even bass response at your listening positions. By changing the crossover higher or lower, you're changing where you are producing bass and this would either improve or worsen the bass response at your listening position depending on your room size/dimension/shape. To test the differences, you need to run sweeps with REW and a microphone, between 20Hz and 120Hz (or whatever crossover range you're comparing) and examine how different crossover settings change your frequency response curve. You obviously want it flat from 20Hz to 120Hz. If you are getting nulls in the frequency that your speakers can handle, then maybe lowering the crossover and allowing the speakers to contribute will reduce the null frequency.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8985 Post(s)
Liked: 6148
Quote:
Everyone here has been so incredible and my project is "almost done".

I have always set my crossovers to 80 Hz on all speakers as this is what i read to do. I just read the 80 Hz isn't necessary the best crossover and could end up with much more dynamic and 3d bass if i set them properly.
Should i set them all at 80, or something else? suddenly i'm confused Here is the cnet link to all my speakers and any advice would be great!

My Center: https://www.cnet.com/products/psb-im...-wired-series/

Front Towers: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/psb-imagine-x2t-review/

Surrounds: https://www.cnet.com/products/psb-im...-wired-series/

Front Heights: https://www.cnet.com/products/svs-pr...2pkwhitegloss/
Well, even a large tower with good bass response has response tailing off starting at 80hz or 60hz while a good subwoofer is ruler flat from 80hz down to about 20hz.

The exception might be the Imagine T3.

But using a subwoofer has advantages for the amplifier and midrange.

"Win 1. Since you are now not putting in 20 Hertz 80 Hertz into the mains you are not using up the available low frequency cone movement with bass, so the low frequency cone in your main speaker is able to play its higher frequencies (up to it’s crossover point) much more cleanly. You get an apparent 6dB or more dynamic range. You can play your system louder, and also with less compression distortion in the low frequency driver...

Win 2. Since you are not putting bass into that same driver...This means cleaner mids. By far.

Win 3. You are not sucking current out of your main power amp at low frequencies, so there is more current reserve to play those highs louder.

Win 4. Since the cones are not moving as far at the low frequencies...there is far less current draw by the speakers. "

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...udio-Subwoofer

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I've always done 60hz, 80 has never really sounded right to me.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page