Best bookshelf under $1500 for movies - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10185 Post(s)
Liked: 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Even if its still bran new in the box, would it deteriorate while still sealed ?
No, the amp should be fine but depending upon the storage conditions and the material used for the woofer surrounds, those could deteriorate if stores in high heat.

This image of one of the woofers seems to indicate the woofer surround is longer lasting rubber of some type vs short lasting foam so you could be just fine.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/WOOFER-Marti...-/202471070365

Interestingly HiFi Heaven here in the US still sells them though they are not a current model.

Maybe the box has a build date on it and if not the sub itself should.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quote:
Even if its still bran new in the box, would it deteriorate while still sealed ?
No, the amp should be fine but depending upon the storage conditions and the material used for the woofer surrounds, those could deteriorate if stores in high heat.

This image of one of the woofers seems to indicate the woofer surround is longer lasting rubber of some type vs short lasting foam so you could be just fine.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/WOOFER-Marti...-/202471070365

Interestingly HiFi Heaven here in the US still sells them though they are not a current model.

Maybe the box has a build date on it and if not the sub itself should.
I will check it when i m back and see the date on it, they actually have the ML descent and genesis subs.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #63 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I will check it when i m back and see the date on it, they actually have the ML descent and genesis subs.
This link suggests they were made until about 2013/2014.

http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...descent-i.html

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Just an update:

I ended up buying 3 M&K s150 THX LCR + 2 surrounds M&K ss500 THX.

Came home hooked them up quickly without any configuration and optimum placement and fired up Avengers infinity war, and WoW the differnece when upping the volume was huge to my previous setup, i m hearing details from the from stage that i never heard in this movie and its crystal clear. Too bad i m traveling today for 10 days and cant calibrate the system till i come back, but without anything it already sound stunning.
Now there is still the sub not sure if i should change, i can get Martin Logan descent sub , not sure how good it is but will read about it.
Thank you everyone
Nice! David Fabrikant the owner/designer of Ascend used to work for M&K, so what you're describing makes perfect sense. The one time I heard M&K speakers I was also impressed, and these were in-walls so that was all the more remarkable.

I'd only get a ML sub if it's being discounted at least 50% off retail, otherwise they are quite overpriced compared to what someone like Hsu or Rythmik can give you for the same or less money.
Zorba u seem very experienced in this field and i have a question regatding Amps.
I have 2 class H amps ( beta three norm 2.4 + beta three norm 4.4 ) they are rated 650w @4ohm per channel, they are powering my 5 main speakers ( LCR + surrounds ).
Do u think they are good enough to power the S150s ?

Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #65 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
This link suggests they were made until about 2013/2014.

http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...descent-i.html
Thank you a lot for ur quick responses and help, so if everything is great condition would u consider this a great SUB ? Like the SVS , HSU etc for home theatre ?

post #66 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9610 Post(s)
Liked: 7428
Quote:
Zorba u seem very experienced in this field and i have a question regatding Amps.
I have 2 class H amps ( beta three norm 2.4 + beta three norm 4.4 ) they are rated 650w @4ohm per channel, they are powering my 5 main speakers ( LCR + surrounds ).
Do u think they are good enough to power the S150s ?
If those are accurate specs then you have MORE than enough power for those speakers, I'm sure!
tnaik4 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #67 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If those are accurate specs then you have MORE than enough power for those speakers, I'm sure!
yes those are the quoted specs from the manufacturer , i dont know the how to actually measure it , so i guess i m good

post #68 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3563 Post(s)
Liked: 5512
Quote:
I can get 3 M&K S150 THX LCR for $3000 locally.
The PSA's will cost me more than $3500 overall with shipping , basically anythinf i need to ship will add around $1700 shippong and customs cause these speakers are heavy.
So u m leaning towards the S150s and i m reading they are stunning for Home Theatre mainly movies.
Any opinion on them before i purchase them ?
Although they may be good speakers, its a shame you didn't go with the PSA for only $500 more. With 95 dB sensitivity, they require 1/4th the power to drive. It's a good thing that they do seem to measure well, but since your objective was *the best* home theater speaker for the money, $500 would have gotten you drastically more capable LCR. Too bad shipping and customs adds so much to the cost, but still would have been very well worth it imo.
post #69 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
I would consider warranty and shipping if ever had a problem with expensive speakers. I bought my towers local.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #70 of 102 Old 09-21-2019, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Quote:
I can get 3 M&K S150 THX LCR for $3000 locally.
The PSA's will cost me more than $3500 overall with shipping , basically anythinf i need to ship will add around $1700 shippong and customs cause these speakers are heavy.
So u m leaning towards the S150s and i m reading they are stunning for Home Theatre mainly movies.
Any opinion on them before i purchase them ?
Although they may be good speakers, its a shame you didn't go with the PSA for only $500 more. With 95 dB sensitivity, they require 1/4th the power to drive. It's a good thing that they do seem to measure well, but since your objective was *the best* home theater speaker for the money, $500 would have gotten you drastically more capable LCR. Too bad shipping and customs adds so much to the cost, but still would have been very well worth it imo.
I really wanted the PSAs , but once i found M&K and read about them, rhey have glowing reviews and most consider them reference for home cinema, so i thought they should be at least on par with the PSAs,and i do have also 2 strong Amps to drive them so that shouldnt be a problem.
My biggest problem with shipping isnt the cost, its the risk of something getting damaged while shipping, if i recieve it damaged or not working i cant even return it.
I did fiund a good deal on 2 used PSA mt110s for the price of one, shipping them +customs will cost me around $1500 , i might get them and wait later if i can get a used mt210 and use S150s as surrounds.
I just hope i didnt make a huge mistake getting these , everyone raves about them though. Are the PSA's really drastically better than the S150 ?

Last edited by tnaik4; 09-22-2019 at 12:03 AM.
post #71 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really wanted the PSAs , but once i found M&K and read about them, rhey have glowing reviews and most consider them reference for home cinema, so i thought they should be at least on par with the PSAs,and i do have also 2 strong Amps to drive them so that shouldnt be a problem.
My biggest problem with shipping isnt the cost, its the risk of something getting damaged while shipping, if i recieve it damaged or not working i cant even return it.
I did fiund a good deal on 2 used PSA mt110s for the price of one, shipping them +customs will cost me around $1500 , i might get them and wait later if i can get a used mt210 and use S150s as surrounds.
I just hope i didnt make a huge mistake getting these , everyone raves about them though. Are the PSA's really drastically better than the S150 ?
It depends on how you define better. One factor that determines if a speaker is good is the measured response. The M&K's may have a good measured response just as the PSA do, but that does not put them on the same level for movies. As far as glowing reviews, look up any speaker, literally almost any speaker, and you will find "glowing" reviews. That's what reviewers do, they glow in order to get product sent to them for review. It's the nature of the beast, and probably the absolute worst way to choose a component to purchase. Objective, factual data is more important. One of the most important attributes of a home theater speaker is the ability to provide clean, clear, uncompressed dynamics without distortion, so sensitivity is *very* important here. With a low sensitivity speaker like the M&K, it takes *A LOT* of power to try and drive them near reference levels. Even with enough amp to provide the power, speakers start to distort and compress with a lot of power applied.

So a *HUGE* benefit of the PSA over typical low sensitivity speakers is that the M&K speakers you bought require 4x as much power to drive as the PSA110's, and ten times as much power as the 210's. Although this won't make a difference at -15 or -20 from reference, as you approach -10 and higher, low sensitivity speakers just won't be clean and clear anymore. So again, yes, the M&K may be pretty good speakers, but they are not in the same ballpark as the high efficiency PSA for movies. If you have the budget for either and the cost difference is only $500 for a purchase that will be the heart of your system for many years to come......

As far as receiving a damaged speaker in shipping, I have never seen any company anywhere that offers better service and takes better care of the customer than PSA. Although I don't speak for PSA, based on their track record I would be shocked if Tom didn't have a replacement in the mail the next day if anything was received damaged.

I started with 88/89 dB sensitive speakers, and ones that measure quite well. I upgraded to high efficiency speakers and they are just better for home theater. Read through the PSA thread. Although all threads tend to be filled with fans that love what they own, I have yet to see anyone upgrade to PSA from low sensitivity speakers and not be blown away by the upgrade and happy with them long term with no plans on changing. The few that do usually climb up the ladder to JTR or DIY.

Again, the M&K's may very well be better than average, but two 5" woofers cannot compete with a 10" driver like that used in the PSA, so the PSA will also have stronger output with lower distortion down to crossover. This is evident in the earlier roll off of the M&K's which begins above 80 Hz.

Last edited by bear123; 09-22-2019 at 04:43 AM.
post #72 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I can't believe people are trying to have you second guess buying high quality brands because of their "opinion" to be honest.

M&K are a rare brand discussed on AVS but nonetheless have a great pedigree, (NOBODY on AVS owns my main speakers and it doesn't bother me one whit as I enjoy them).

As to the Martin Logans, assuming you are not paying the full $2995 they cost when they were a "current" product you should be just fine as you live in the Middle East where choices are more limited.

They certainly got very good reviews back then and even today Martin Logan subs measure very well but have been considered over priced...but the very latest version are actually fairer priced which I think is a result of subwoofer competition from the likes of HSU, Rhythmik, PSA and SVS.

https://hometheaterreview.com/martin...er-reviewed-1/
tnaik4 and anjunadeep like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #73 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't believe people are trying to have you second guess buying high quality brands because of their "opinion" to be honest.

M&K are a rare brand discussed on AVS but nonetheless have a great pedigree, (NOBODY on AVS owns my main speakers and it doesn't bother me one whit as I enjoy them).

As to the Martin Logans, assuming you are not paying the full $2995 they cost when they were a "current" product you should be just fine as you live in the Middle East where choices are more limited.

They certainly got very good reviews back then and even today Martin Logan subs measure very well but have been considered over priced...but the very latest version are actually fairer priced which I think is a result of subwoofer competition from the likes of HSU, Rhythmik, PSA and SVS.

https://hometheaterreview.com/martin...er-reviewed-1/
Man i m really second guessing my choice of buying these original M&K S150 ( New ones still unopened ), i read alot and mostly enthusiast opinions not just pro reviews and most if not all regards these speakers as reference for Home Theatre not just above average. i m not home for the next 10 days so cant really calibrate and set them up to listen to it myself but now i m afraid i made a bad choice since i cant really return them, it just feels bad.

regarding the sub i ll probably can get it half that price, but i need something really way better than the "Yamaha NS SW700" Sub i have

post #74 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
S-150s, assuming you got the original M&K ones and not the MKSound ones (which I haven't heard and haven't followed so can't comment on), are a highly respected speaker that have been through countless third party reviews and industry discussions. PSA is a wonderful internet direct brand, but that speaker has hardly gone through the scrutiny that your M&K S-150s have. The review from Home Theater Shack of the PSA was very positive, but did note that they are more sensitive to placement, have a horn sound (even if that doesn't draw attention to itself), and while he said it wasn't fatiguing "The delivery is very direct, again by nature of the design, and may seem more "in your face" than some listeners like." The stretch of the PSAs will be their ability to play very loud, very clean, but unless you need that output you might not really get into a zone where you need to benefit from that. It's not a clear choice, and there is no completely wrong answer - both speakers I'd say "hey dude, nice, enjoy!".

The M&Ks will just be neutral and with the power you are providing them, will be able to deliver you very low distortion, neutral, performance at reference volume levels. With M&K you absolutely do need to use amplifiers, they are not easy speakers to drive, but you have them already so you are golden. Do not hold any regret of your decision, it was a very good one. The guy with horn loaded speakers in his signature more often than not is going to tell you the high efficiency stuff is the way to go, and if you were powering them with your receiver I'd probably agree...but you aren't. A lot of times I agree about small bookshelves not being up for the task, but while M&Ks are not efficient, they are also not small and play very loud very well.

I would have told you that you made a good choice regardless of if you went with PSA or M&K, but I can assure you that you have got some awesome gear. Enjoy your speakers!
tnaik4 likes this.
post #75 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find that hometheaterreveiw.com has nearly meaningless reviews with nothing but flowery, unsubstantiated, subjective audiophile, vague praise. Musical? Tight? Quick? Accurate? Based on what? Show me the measurements.

As far as "opinions" regarding PSA or M&K, 95-98 dB sensitivity compared to 89 dB sensitivity is an objective, factual difference. 10" woofers with a FR down to 70 Hz compared to 5" woofers that roll off below 100 Hz are also facts.

If listening volumes are low enough and listening distance is close enough, the M&K *might* be adequate. But the title of the thread was "best home theater speaker". 89 dB speaker with 5" woofers aren't it.

As I stated based on objective facts, the M&K's do appear to have good measured response for good sound quality up to their clean output capabilities. Nothing wrong with giving a fair, objective comparison between two speakers when looking for the "best" option.

OP, don't take this the wrong way....in no way to do I think the speakers you bought are bad. You have plenty of power to fully drive them without clipping or distortion from your amps. The dual 5 1/2" woofers have the same displacement as an 8" driver, so this is definitely better than the average 5-6.5" bookshelf for capability. The three tweeters also greatly increases power handling.

What is your typical listening volume? A lot of assumptions were made in this thread as far as speakers that would be more than adequate and that higher sensitivity speakers would be overkill. I find this assertion hard to make(impossible actually) without knowing your preferred listening level. If 10-15 below reference, your golden. If you want clear, uncompressed reference level peaks of 105 dB at 13 feet, maybe not. Again, assumptions can't be made without the facts. Most AVS members have never experience true reference level capability, so they assume any run of the mill $300 89 dB speaker has more capability than anyone could ever possibly need without going deaf. Truth is, these cheap, low sensitivity speakers get crushingly loud and unbearable as they start to heavily distort long before reference level. So yes, many folks can't imagine wanting to listen any louder. Your M&K have very high power handling so I'm not talking about those particular speakers.

I've been in fully reference capable theaters where listening at reference level is comfortable, non fatiguing and downright amazing. My room with 88 dB bookshelf speakers was uncomfortably loud at 10 dB below reference.
tnaik4 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 09-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #76 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Man i m really second guessing my choice of buying these original M&K S150 ( New ones still unopened ), i read alot and mostly enthusiast opinions not just pro reviews and most if not all regards these speakers as reference for Home Theatre not just above average. i m not home for the next 10 days so cant really calibrate and set them up to listen to it myself but now i m afraid i made a bad choice since i cant really return them, it just feels bad.

regarding the sub i ll probably can get it half that price, but i need something really way better than the "Yamaha NS SW700" Sub i have
You will have a far far "better" setup than I have and I put together my first 5.1 system back in the mid 80s when it was not an easy, or inexpensive, thing to do.

I dare say that system is on par with the top 10 percent of systems on AVS.
tnaik4 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #77 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
S-150s, assuming you got the original M&K ones and not the MKSound ones (which I haven't heard and haven't followed so can't comment on), are a highly respected speaker that have been through countless third party reviews and industry discussions. PSA is a wonderful internet direct brand, but that speaker has hardly gone through the scrutiny that your M&K S-150s have. The review from Home Theater Shack of the PSA was very positive, but did note that they are more sensitive to placement, have a horn sound (even if that doesn't draw attention to itself), and while he said it wasn't fatiguing "The delivery is very direct, again by nature of the design, and may seem more "in your face" than some listeners like." The stretch of the PSAs will be their ability to play very loud, very clean, but unless you need that output you might not really get into a zone where you need to benefit from that. It's not a clear choice, and there is no completely wrong answer - both speakers I'd say "hey dude, nice, enjoy!".

The M&Ks will just be neutral and with the power you are providing them, will be able to deliver you very low distortion, neutral, performance at reference volume levels. With M&K you absolutely do need to use amplifiers, they are not easy speakers to drive, but you have them already so you are golden. Do not hold any regret of your decision, it was a very good one. The guy with horn loaded speakers in his signature more often than not is going to tell you the high efficiency stuff is the way to go, and if you were powering them with your receiver I'd probably agree...but you aren't. A lot of times I agree about small bookshelves not being up for the task, but while M&Ks are not efficient, they are also not small and play very loud very well.

I would have told you that you made a good choice regardless of if you went with PSA or M&K, but I can assure you that you have got some awesome gear. Enjoy your speakers!
thanks a lot man , its reassuring to hear that i didnt really make the wrong choice, yes i got the original M&K made in USA and still new unopened, and ur right i have 2 beta3 amps that can output 650w @4ohm per channel so that should be plenty enough for these speakers. my room is 11.5x14.5 feet with 10feet ceiling so not really a big room.

again thank you.

post #78 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:

The MK's are very nice so would not worry at all. This review had great things to say.

The M&K system proved to sound natural, dynamic, and detailed. It's certainly one of the best I've ever heard.
I'll tell you one thing: If you value bass impact and extension, you'd be hard-pressed to find a rival for the M&K system

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-review-page-5
tnaik4 likes this.
post #79 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I find that hometheaterreveiw.com has nearly meaningless reviews with nothing but flowery, unsubstantiated, subjective audiophile, vague praise. Musical? Tight? Quick? Accurate? Based on what? Show me the measurements.

As far as "opinions" regarding PSA or M&K, 95-98 dB sensitivity compared to 89 dB sensitivity is an objective, factual difference. 10" woofers with a FR down to 70 Hz compared to 5" woofers that roll off below 100 Hz are also facts.

If listening volumes are low enough and listening distance is close enough, the M&K *might* be adequate. But the title of the thread was "best home theater speaker". 89 dB speaker with 5" woofers aren't it.

As I stated based on objective facts, the M&K's do appear to have good measured response for good sound quality up to their clean output capabilities. Nothing wrong with giving a fair, objective comparison between two speakers when looking for the "best" option.

OP, don't take this the wrong way....in no way to do I think the speakers you bought are bad. You have plenty of power to fully drive them without clipping or distortion from your amps. The dual 5 1/2" woofers have the same displacement as an 8" driver, so this is definitely better than the average 5-6.5" bookshelf for capability. The three tweeters also greatly increases power handling.

What is your typical listening volume? A lot of assumptions were made in this thread as far as speakers that would be more than adequate and that higher sensitivity speakers would be overkill. I find this assertion hard to make(impossible actually) without knowing your preferred listening level. If 10-15 below reference, your golden. If you want clear, uncompressed reference level peaks of 105 dB at 13 feet, maybe not. Again, assumptions can't be made without the facts. Most AVS members have never experience true reference level capability, so they assume any run of the mill $300 89 dB speaker has more capability than anyone could ever possibly need without going deaf. Truth is, these cheap, low sensitivity speakers get crushingly loud and unbearable as they start to heavily distort long before reference level. So yes, many folks can't imagine wanting to listen any louder. Your M&K have very high power handling so I'm not talking about those particular speakers.

I've been in fully reference capable theaters where listening at reference level is comfortable, non fatiguing and downright amazing. My room with 88 dB bookshelf speakers was uncomfortably loud at 10 dB below reference.
no not at all my friend, i actually welcome more opinions , and i wanted the PSAs as my first choice, but finding the M&K localy make it easier to chose them and reading many many positive opinions about them i had the impression that both systems would be on par, and didnt thing the PSA would be vastly superior since the S150 are considered reference by many for home theatre.

my distance from he speakers is around 14feet , i usually listen at around -7db on my reciever, although i tried the S150s quickly before i traveled at 0db and sounded very clear and could push them more.

I have yamaha NS-SW700 sub, i m not sure if its good enough or i need to get a better SUB. still trying to find out.

post #80 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Those don't jibe with the specs provided by M&K for these THS certified speakers so not sure where you got those numbers.

M&K is hardly a brand with a tarnished reputation.

It doesn't sound like he's under amplified and his initial impressions are they exceed HIS expectations which, after all, trump yours or mine.

"Came home hooked them up quickly without any configuration and optimum placement and fired up Avengers infinity war, and WoW the differnece when upping the volume was huge to my previous setup, i m hearing details from the from stage that i never heard in this movie and its crystal clear. "
tnaik4 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #81 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If the M&K's are non returnable, I'd be happy with them. They measure very well for neutral, accurate sound quality, have high power handling, and you have plenty of power to drive them.

So I would definitely focus on a better sub or, better yet, dual subs. If SVS is available at a reasonable cost in your area I'd consider looking at their ported options.
tnaik4 likes this.
post #82 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
no not at all my friend, i actually welcome more opinions , and i wanted the PSAs as my first choice, but finding the M&K localy make it easier to chose them and reading many many positive opinions about them i had the impression that both systems would be on par, and didnt thing the PSA would be vastly superior since the S150 are considered reference by many for home theatre.

my distance from he speakers is around 14feet , i usually listen at around -7db on my reciever, although i tried the S150s quickly before i traveled at 0db and sounded very clear and could push them more.

I have yamaha NS-SW700 sub, i m not sure if its good enough or i need to get a better SUB. still trying to find out.
In my personal experience I have found Yamaha does not fudge on specs for their subs using REW and Umik in my room so in your small room the Yamaha probably does reach close to the 20hz spec with its 300 watt amp and 10" driver but the Martin Logan sub will be in a different league and more in line with the capabilities of the M&K but it sounds like you don't listen 'LOUD' and your room is quite compact so you might be OK.

Only you can decide.

Have fun.

Geoff A. J., California
post #83 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those don't jibe with the specs provided by M&K for these THS certified speakers so not sure where you got those numbers.

M&K is hardly a brand with a tarnished reputation.

It doesn't sound like he's under amplified and his initial impressions are they exceed HIS expectations which, after all, trump yours or mine.
Agree, I think he will be happy with them. The specs I quoted are from sound and visions measurements, which often don't match manufacturers marketing specs.

"I estimated the M&K's B-weighted sensitivity at around 88.5dB/W/m (center) and 89.5dB/W/m (side)."

"As expected, the M&Ks rolled-off with a sealed-box 12dB/octave slope below 100Hz. You definitely need to use a subwoofer with this system. "

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...2-measurements
tnaik4 likes this.
post #84 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my personal experience I have found Yamaha does not fudge on specs for their subs using REW and Umik in my room so in your small room the Yamaha probably does reach close to the 20hz spec with its 300 watt amp and 10" driver but the Martin Logan sub will be in a different league and more in line with the capabilities of the M&K but it sounds like you don't listen 'LOUD' and your room is quite compact so you might be OK.

Only you can decide.

Have fun.
If the ML sub is a very noticeable upgrade i dont have a problem getting it. i m trying to make sure i m getting a noticeable upgrade since we cant return stuff here unless its defective.

post #85 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Agree, I think he will be happy with them. The specs I quoted are from sound and visions measurements, which often don't match manufacturers marketing specs.

"I estimated the M&K's B-weighted sensitivity at around 88.5dB/W/m (center) and 89.5dB/W/m (side)."

"As expected, the M&Ks rolled-off with a sealed-box 12dB/octave slope below 100Hz. You definitely need to use a subwoofer with this system. "

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...2-measurements
Thanks.

You'd need a stereophile review of the PSAs to compare "apples to apples" but, not sure it really is of any consequence as the OP was impressed as was Stereophile.

But he has a tiny room and tons of amplification so it could be argued that his setup is overkill for his room as would the PSAs.

Geoff A. J., California
post #86 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
If the ML sub is a very noticeable upgrade i dont have a problem getting it. i m trying to make sure i m getting a noticeable upgrade since we cant return stuff here unless its defective.
Yes, I "think" it would be.

But check cabinet size of the ML as your room is hardly large.
tnaik4 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #87 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I "think" it would be.

But check cabinet size of the ML as your room is hardly large.
yes will do, also they have ML genesis which is the step down version of the descent, they will send me a list of high end subs they have and ill have to chose which is the best.

A question about speakers, if a speaker roll off below 100 and another speaker roll off below 50 , wouldnt that make them equal if i m using subs and setting crossover to 100hz ? since even towers cant equal great subs the only advantage speakers that roll off below 50 has is when not using subs. m i correct bu my thinking ?

post #88 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Revel M16 .... buy 3 each and use 1 as a center channel .... they will show Yamaha the door
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear..._speakers.html
Most anything revel will win on SQ. M16 is one hell of a speaker. If you wanted to go cheaper get 2 LSR 308 speakers they sound fantastic but are powered. Or three 705's I see them used for $500 on the 705p (powered) model. They will also rock.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #89 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
yes will do, also they have ML genesis which is the step down version of the descent, they will send me a list of high end subs they have and ill have to chose which is the best.

A question about speakers, if a speaker roll off below 100 and another speaker roll off below 50 , wouldnt that make them equal if i m using subs and setting crossover to 100hz ? since even towers cant equal great subs the only advantage speakers that roll off below 50 has is when not using subs. m i correct bu my thinking ?
Yes; both M&K and PSA use sealed speakers, which generally integrate with subs better than ported one, that are specifically designed to be used with subwoofers.

It is a clear design choice but chances are in an actual room the M&Ks will have a bit of room gain in the bass department and likely would work well with an 80hz crossover.

You'd have to experiment and a simple way to check that out would be using test tones and a Sound Pressure Level meter or app on your phone to see the DB levels at a given volume setting on your amps to find out where the dropoff really is in your room.

You'd check from about 200hz to around 60hz to see where the DB levels take a nosedive and set your crossover above that region.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...rsts20-200.php
tnaik4 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #90 of 102 Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes; both M&K and PSA use sealed speakers, which generally integrate with subs better than ported one, that are specifically designed to be used with subwoofers.

It is a clear design choice but chances are in an actual room the M&Ks will have a bit of room gain in the bass department and likely would work well with an 80hz crossover.

You'd have to experiment and a simple way to check that out would be using test tones and a Sound Pressure Level meter or app on your phone to see the DB levels at a given volume setting on your amps to find out where the dropoff really is in your room.

You'd check from about 200hz to around 60hz to see where the DB levels take a nosedive and set your crossover above that region.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...rsts20-200.php
i actually have a MiniDSP88-bm with diraclive, Once i do all the measurement when i m back home it ll help me determine what the optimal crossover is for these speakers.

thanks alot for answering and helping out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page