1Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 9 Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaker Setup Advice

I am currently doing some remodeling in my basement, and I would like to upgrade my speakers. I current have Polk In-walls (RT Series). They've been serviceable, but I would like to step it up.

I'm just thinking about replacing the LCR speakers for now. Due to WAF, kids, and the desire to maximize floor space, I can't have the speakers in the room. I do have a utility area behind my screen about 4' deep. Would floor standing speakers be OK? I know I would have to make bigger holes and get some custom grill material to mount to the wall. But is it OK to put them in that space? Or am I stuck going with enclosed In-wall speakers? Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Base1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	2615040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	2615042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-14-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdon15 View Post
Or am I stuck going with enclosed In-wall speakers? Thanks for your help.
You are stuck with in-wall speakers if you want to maximize their sound. Speakers are designed with their cabinets in mind, and they need to be out in the open. Placing them in the wall will alter their sound and will resonate in the wall. In-wall speakers are designed with this in mind and sound better than other alternatives.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Guess I'll stick with in-walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
I am currently doing some remodeling in my basement, and I would like to upgrade my speakers. I current have Polk In-walls (RT Series). They've been serviceable, but I would like to step it up.

I'm just thinking about replacing the LCR speakers for now. Due to WAF, kids, and the desire to maximize floor space, I can't have the speakers in the room. I do have a utility area behind my screen about 4' deep. Would floor standing speakers be OK? I know I would have to make bigger holes and get some custom grill material to mount to the wall. But is it OK to put them in that space? Or am I stuck going with enclosed In-wall speakers? Thanks for your help.
Would on wall be an option? They don't have to be wall mounted bookshelf speakers, you can get streamlined wallmounts that have a similar profile to a soundbar. Might not be kidproof though.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The right InWall speaker is a bit close to the right corner. This creates boundary reinforcement issues, whereby the right speaker will appear to have more bass than the left speaker. You would most likely have the same problems with a floor standing speaker as well.

[email protected]
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8969 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
Quote:
Thanks! Guess I'll stick with in-walls.
Take a look at Revel.

A receiver with good EQ should help with the boundary reinforcement issue as will using a 100hz crossover to a subwoofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/fg_12600...-Speakers.html
Ryan Statz likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Take a look at Revel.

A receiver with good EQ should help with the boundary reinforcement issue as will using a 100hz crossover to a subwoofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/fg_12600...-Speakers.html

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
The right InWall speaker is a bit close to the right corner. This creates boundary reinforcement issues, whereby the right speaker will appear to have more bass than the left speaker. You would most likely have the same problems with a floor standing speaker as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'm re-positioning the screen as well, any rule of thumb for how far I should be from the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Would on wall be an option? They don't have to be wall mounted bookshelf speakers, you can get streamlined wallmounts that have a similar profile to a soundbar. Might not be kidproof though.

On-Wall would work. Is that a better way to go, acoustically speaking, all else being equal? Or is that a tough question to answer. Assume a budget of <$1000 / speaker.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:

On-Wall would work. Is that a better way to go, acoustically speaking, all else being equal? Or is that a tough question to answer. Assume a budget of <$1000 / speaker.
https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/
https://novo.press/totem-acoustic-in...sound-to-look/
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_230150...&price=70-1000

Generally speaking on wall will allow you to get closer to traditional speaker performance. And it is less intrusive than in wall, it'll be more comparable to wall mounting a TV. And you'll be able to take the speakers with you or have more flexibility to change the speakers in the future.

I'll defer to others regarding how a particular model compares to your inwall Polks. Crutchfield has some KEF, Martin Logans and Revels on wall that look interesting. They also have a virtualized headphone speaker comparison tool, not sure how well it works.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8969 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
Quote:

At that price point I think you get better bang for buck with in wall vs on wall.

Just compare the driver size and pricing of Revel on walls vs in walls; no contest.

I believe there are some acoustical advantages as well to quality in walls installed correctly.

The disadvantage, of course, is if you move it's sometimes cheaper just to leave them behind.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page