Speaker placement help - surrounds or atmos? - pics inside - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Speaker placement help - surrounds or atmos? - pics inside

The room is an all purpose media room (movies, TV, games) 18.5 x 21 x 9 and is already finished so ceiling speakers are out of the question.

Side speakers - can be either surrounds wall mounted at ear level or atmos elevations mounted high on wall.

Rear speakers- can be either surrounds wall mounted at ear level or up high aiming down or atmos elevations mounted high on wall. Rear seating row can be pulled about 1' from the back wall

So I am thinking that this will either be 7.2 or 5.2.2 ?

Looking for the best sounding setup given room limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	784.3 KB
ID:	2615148   Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	745.4 KB
ID:	2615150  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
The room is an all purpose media room (movies, TV, games) 18.5 x 21 x 9 and is already finished so ceiling speakers are out of the question.

Side speakers - can be either surrounds wall mounted at ear level or atmos elevations mounted high on wall.

Rear speakers- can be either surrounds wall mounted at ear level or up high aiming down or atmos elevations mounted high on wall. Rear seating row can be pulled about 1' from the back wall

Not an expert at all but I have similar room size and set up but slightly smaller with 2 rows elevated seating as well (3 seats per row), Room dimensions 17 x 14 x 9.

I have 7.1. But have you considered 7.1.2 with front elevations that way you have just need additional speakers wires at the front (no need for snaking wires) etc.

I was thinking of this but have a bulk head vent at the front which messes things up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 09-15-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2938
Quote:

You could do side surrounds in the lower position and rear surrounds on the side wall beside the second row. If you do 5.2.2, you'd need dipoles to cover both rows of seating and the height channels would likely sound best on the front wall. The only issue is that dipoles are not recommended in an atmos setup. Those with more experience will chime in.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 679
5.1.4 with bipoles for the surrounds and Height speakers for front and rear Atmos.
Jon SS and pase22 like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You could do side surrounds in the lower position and rear surrounds on the side wall beside the second row. If you do 5.2.2, you'd need dipoles to cover both rows of seating and the height channels would likely sound best on the front wall. The only issue is that dipoles are not recommended in an atmos setup. Those with more experience will chime in.

Thank you for your thoughts. If I put the rear surrounds at ear level on the side walls on the back row, will they be effective for front row listening?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
5.1.4 with bipoles for the surrounds and Height speakers for front and rear Atmos.

Why would I need bipoles for the side surrounds? Are you assuming mounting them at ear level on the side of the first row?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
Not an expert at all but I have similar room size and set up but slightly smaller with 2 rows elevated seating as well (3 seats per row), Room dimensions 17 x 14 x 9.

I have 7.1. But have you considered 7.1.2 with front elevations that way you have just need additional speakers wires at the front (no need for snaking wires) etc.

I was thinking of this but have a bulk head vent at the front which messes things up a bit.

I have not considered front elevations, not sure I can sell those on the wife on the front wall. In this configuration are you assuming side and rear surrounds at ear level?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2938
Quote:
I have not considered front elevations, not sure I can sell those on the wife on the front wall. In this configuration are you assuming side and rear surrounds at ear level?
I'd just do one set of dipole side surrounds and do front and rear height in a 5.1.4 configuration.
Ryan Statz likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That’s what I was thinking. I have dipole surrounds and monopole rear.

That being said I have not really heard a proper home Atmos system. The only Atmos I have heard is at the local IMAX where I see most of my movies.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #10 of 13 Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will look into dipoles. I am still kind of lost between which channels would be better as surrounds or atmos, and where ideal placement should be. I will do some more research.

Quote:
That’s what I was thinking. I have dipole surrounds and monopole rear.

That being said I have not really heard a proper home Atmos system. The only Atmos I have heard is at the local IMAX where I see most of my movies.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I will look into dipoles. I am still kind of lost between which channels would be better as surrounds or atmos, and where ideal placement should be. I will do some more research.
I am no expert, just spend a lot of time reading all the great advice on here and and dolby papers etc. Some say dipoles are fine in smaller rooms where seating is close to the speakers, I personally like mine as my room is not big and only a few feet from the side surrounds. I also read that some are fine with dipole on sides with atmos, others swear by monopoles only. I think I would rather have better well laid out 7.1 or 5.1 and then add atmos as an improvement after.

In your situation, I would definitely do side surrounds (assuming your first row is the main row, and the back row is overflow, which is what I have). And then decide if you want the rear as rear surround or atmos, but I think rear atmos only makes sense in your position if you have front atmos / elevation so you end up with 5.1.4? If you don't have the front atmos/elevation it probably makes more sense to have rear surround and end up with 7.1?

An older article on dipoles (pre-atmos)
http://www.d-toolsblog.com/newslette...nds-71-system/

Last edited by Jon SS; 09-16-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. However, I may use rear elevation speakers aimed down as the rear surrounds so they are not too close to the rear row.

Quote:
I am no expert, just spend a lot of time reading all the great advice on here and and dolby papers etc. Some say dipoles are fine in smaller rooms where seating is close to the speakers, I personally like mine as my room is not big and only a few feet from the side surrounds. I also read that some are fine with dipole on sides with atmos, others swear by monopoles only. I think I would rather have better well laid out 7.1 or 5.1 and then add atmos as an improvement after.

In your situation, I would definitely do side surrounds (assuming your first row is the main row, and the back row is overflow, which is what I have). And then decide if you want the rear as rear surround or atmos, but I think rear atmos only makes sense in your position if you have front atmos / elevation so you end up with 5.1.4? If you don't have the front atmos/elevation it probably makes more sense to have rear surround and end up with 7.1?

An older article on dipoles (pre-atmos)
http://www.d-toolsblog.com/newslette...nds-71-system/
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. However, I may use rear elevation speakers aimed down as the rear surrounds so they are not too close to the rear row.

I have bookshelf speakers and was going to put them on a bracket and that way I can adjust the angle as I see fit. I was recommended these

B-Tech BT777 Ultragrip Pro clamping loundspeaker wall mount.

In the end I just put them in the back corner of the room and angled in because did not have enough room behind the back row. Not ideal but still sound good and as if coming from behind me. Apparently it is harder to localize sounds from behind vs in front.

Last edited by Jon SS; 09-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page