Just got Front Heights, will rear heights be an improvement? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 3 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 96
will rear heights be an improvement?

Would there be an improvement if i added rear heights? Would they go directly behind me and equal to the two front heights?

-We currently sit 6.5 feet away from the TV with an 8 foot wall (The FH's are at the top).

-

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR

Last edited by Dustin Windsor; 09-17-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: answered, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
Hello,

I did quite a bit of research on Front Height/Atmos before making the jump into SVS Elevation speakers. I currently have a 5.1.2 system (with Front Heights directly above my towers).
I upgraded my receiver yesterday to a Marantz 6013 which can do 5.1.4 (I had a Yamaha 1050 that could only do 7 channels).

Would there be an improvement if i added rear heights? Would they go directly behind me and equal to the two front heights?

-We currently sit 6.5 feet away from the TV with an 8 foot wall (The FH's are at the top).

-The back wall is about double the distance from our couch, call is 12 feet. Would adding rear heights be a good thing? I would likely stick with the SVS elevations - im loving them as Front Heights.
Going 5.1.4 would be a definite improvement if you have the means to do that. I think a lot of people have said that if you're going to go with Atmos, that 5.1.4 is even better than 7.1.2.

That being said, I would not necessarily take my advice over someone here who has vastly greater experience.
Dustin Windsor likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #3 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Going 5.1.4 would be a definite improvement if you have the means to do that. I think a lot of people have said that if you're going to go with Atmos, that 5.1.4 is even better than 7.1.2.

That being said, I would not necessarily take my advice over someone here who has vastly greater experience.

I appreciate the response Ryan. I wasn't sure if it makes sense to put two rear speakers on a wall that is 12 feet away, considering we sit 6.5 from the TV as it is - the rear wall seems so far away.
I hope i hear it will be a big difference to my current set up, and i need to use some special powers on my wife to convince her - she's put up with a lot the last few weeks (and a lot of $).

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I appreciate the response Ryan. I wasn't sure if it makes sense to put two rear speakers on a wall that is 12 feet away, considering we sit 6.5 from the TV as it is - the rear wall seems so far away.
I hope i hear it will be a big difference to my current set up, and i need to use some special powers on my wife to convince her - she's put up with a lot the last few weeks (and a lot of $).
Room calibration will probably compensate for the distance of the rear speakers, afaik.

What I've read over the last while is that 5.1.2 is a negligible improvement even over a normal 5.1 set up, but that 5.1.4 is a significant difference. But I would weigh in on what others have to say - I only have 5.1 right now, and can really only go up to 5.2.2 with my current AVR/room configuration.

You really wouldn't want to see the amount of money I've sunk into my current HT set up, and I'm also in the process of establishing a separate music set up. It makes me want to cry a little, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while. Thankfully I have a wife who is perfectly fine with me doing what I feel is necessary for this kind of thing.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Definitely add the rear atmos speakers, it’s not even a question! The twelve foot distance is no big deal and the AVR will compensate for that. Since you have prime elevations, and since you are so far forward of the rear wall, having matching speakers aligned to the fronts would make the most sense I believe.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes. Absolutely. That setup will also work for Auro 3D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

We have pretty high couch backs - we won't be able to see the rear height speaker (will get another set of SVS elevations) - will that be ok, or do you need to see the speaker?

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #8 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
We have pretty high couch backs - we won't be able to see the rear height speaker (will get another set of SVS elevations) - will that be ok, or do you need to see the speaker?
You can try to move your front height to the rear and re-configure the speakers on your receiver. That way you can partially test how they'll sound from the back wall.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As long as the couch won't block any of the sound, you don't really need to physically see the speaker.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do you have side walls available? Could also try mounting them in the side wall configuration rather than front and rear height arrangement.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:

If there is not a direct line from the speakers to the listeners ears, then you may want to consider other mounting options. Side walls might be an option, or perhaps on -ceiling closer in where you get some sort of line of sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page