AVS Forum banner

Need some help with speakers for new receiver.

243 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  KenM10759 
#1 ·
Hey guys! A good deal popped up on the Yamaha RX-A3080 so I snagged it. Should be here soon. Im upgrading from an old Marantz SR-5004 that I bought when I was in the military. I currently have that hooked up to my front two Kilpsch tower speakers as well as a Polk audio center speaker.

Looking to add some rear surround sound speakers and maybe a wireless sub. I will also be running my two Definitive audio outdoor speakers on a different zone for outdoor entertainment.

I've read reviews online and have been leaning towards Klipsch or saw a lot of KEF fans on here. Any suggestions and model numbers?

#2 ·
At one time there were vast differences in the sound between KEF and Klipsch. The older Klipsch Reference series for home theater were OK for that, but in music many people found them too bright. The follow-on Reference Premier series cured that to a great degree. The newest and current Reference Premier (RP) series with the 3 and 4-digit suffixes are best yet. They are generally cheaper than the equivalent KEF. The generally have larger bass drivers too, so can play some music without a sub that the KEF would definitely need.

I find those pleasant to listen to. For me, in two-channel music systems the difference between them and KEF is in the way they present the soundstage. The Klipsch "Hybrid Tractix" horns help create a broad, large soundstage but seemingly mostly 'out in front' without as much depth as I might like.

The KEF Q series is their current entry-level system aimed at home theater with ability to do dual-duty as good hi-fi speakers. They are smaller cabinets, more inert. Their soundstage is more central and focused, yet can be listened off-axis quite a bit with minimal fall-off of treble response. My impressions of course, but I prefer the deeper soundstage where sound appears to come from behind the speakers as much as in front. I don't own either, but have auditioned them extensively at my dealer who carries both and many other good lines. Mine are older (2012-2018) KEF R series and I use them much more for music than for movies.

Hope that helps a little. I encourage you to get out and listen if at all possible.

#5 ·
My response was not very helpful because you didn't ask about systems, you asked for surround speaker and wireless sub suggestions. Apparently you're not ready to get a whole new speaker system of the same brand, and it's not necessary anyhow.

I do like having complete systems, but my own guest room has a 5.1 'frankensystem' of Hafler 300 floorstanders, a KEF Reference Model 100 center, and KEF iQ10 surrounds.

Look at getting the subwoofer that's best for your space, budget and delivers the deepest frequencies that you want. Consider if you're in shared housing how low frequencies may affect others. Once you've found the right sub, there's a good accessory to make any sub connect wirelessly, though you of course still need line power.

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/how-to-set-up-a-wireless-subwoofer

As others have stated, surrounds are the least important for matching. If you had intentions to slowly revamp the entire speakers system, it might make sense now to choose ones that would 'play well with' future main L-R and center speaker, and that's where knowing what various brands and models within those brands can actually sound like. You could match either the center speaker or the mains you have, or go in a different direction altogether.

Letting us know which model speakers you currently have and what you like or dislike about them could help us to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.