Is this much of a surround tilt even worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 3 Post By A.J. Robb
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By djp2k7
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Dustin Windsor

post #1 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Is this much of a surround tilt even worth it?

Hey guys,

Is this much of a tilt on my surrounds worth the hassle? The tweeters are now 2 feet above ear level...
Should surrounds be slightly tilted down towards the main listening area? Is this slight tilt worth it? I will have to start gluing, double sided tape etc to make sure we don't kill our cats...or our feet!
They're up there pretty good, but want to take extra precaution - does this tilt even do anything, or just keep them straight? Again 2 feet up high (never had speakers up so high!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_143754.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	929.3 KB
ID:	2616834  

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Looks like an accident waiting to happen ... If it were me, I'd drop them down to about one foot above seated ear level, and attach them flat to the base.
Ryan Statz and Dustin Windsor like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-17-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Looks like an accident waiting to happen ... If it were me, I'd drop them down to about one foot above seated ear level, and attach then flat to the base.

Thank you for the advice. I spent a few hours last night reading about surround placement and everything i read pointed towards 2-3 feet above the ear. I finally have adjustable mounts that i can make 2-3 feet.
Is 2 feet too much, and no need for the tilt?

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
Thank you for the advice. I spent a few hours last night reading about surround placement and everything i read pointed towards 2-3 feet above the ear. I finally have adjustable mounts that i can make 2-3 feet.
Is 2 feet too much, and no need for the tilt?
It depends. You want all the seated ears to be within a 60 degree cone (30 degrees each way) of sound from the tweeter. If your seating is relatively centered, and the speakers are some distance from the seating, then the seating area may be covered at 2 feet. If not, then lowering the speakers is probably the best way to bring the "cone" to the ears. Experiment with height and toe-in until you achieve a good, even sound across your seating area. Leave the balancing act to the seal show in the circus.

Trust your ears. You'll know when it's right.
Dustin Windsor likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It depends. You want all the seated ears to be within a 60 degree cone (30 degrees each way) of sound from the tweeter. If your seating is relatively centered, and the speakers are some distance from the seating, then the seating area may be covered at 2 feet. If not, then lowering the speakers is probably the best way to bring the "cone" to the ears. Experiment with height and toe-in until you achieve a good, even sound across your seating area. Leave the balancing act to the seal show in the circus.

Trust your ears. You'll know when it's right.

I appreciate the advice so far - here's my room and how its looking. I don't trust my ears lol as i don't even know what i should be listening for. I just want the perfect setup for my wife and love any advice.

Seeing my room, is the 2 feet up (surrounds) good or i should lower than a little? I can even raise them haha.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds

Last edited by Dustin Windsor; 09-18-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Hey guys,

Is this much of a tilt on my surrounds worth the hassle? The tweeters are now 2 feet above ear level...
Should surrounds be slightly tilted down towards the main listening area? Is this slight tilt worth it? I will have to start gluing, double sided tape etc to make sure we don't kill our cats...or our feet!
They're up there pretty good, but want to take extra precaution - does this tilt even do anything, or just keep them straight? Again 2 feet up high (never had speakers up so high!)
Your centre speaker also looks like it's aimed at the ceiling.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #7 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Your centre speaker also looks like it's aimed at the ceiling.

Its facing directly at my face when sitting!

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #8 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Where did you get the 2 feet above ear level recommendation?

Dolby labs suggests ear height for a 5.1 configuration. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/su...5-1-setup.html

If you were doing a 5.1.4 Atmos setup, you'd definitely want to have a height difference between the surrounds and the Atmos speakers.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I appreciate the advice so far - here's my room and how its looking. I don't trust my ears lol as i don't even know what i should be listening for. I just want the perfect setup for my wife and love any advice.

Seeing my room, is the 2 feet up (surrounds) good or i should lower than a little? I can even raise them haha.

I think you're overthinking this right now... just stick them 2 feet above ear level, then point them somewhat toward your ears. Right now, it looks like you've aimed the surrounds at somewhere behind the backs of the chairs.

Placement is crucial, but if you're just starting out with this stuff, it'll take a few weeks-months to get to know the sweet spots of your speakers and your room. So to start with, just point them at you and live with that for a bit. Nothing is forever, you can always adjust.
post #10 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Robb View Post
I think you're overthinking this right now... just stick them 2 feet above ear level, then point them somewhat toward your ears. Right now, it looks like you've aimed the surrounds at somewhere behind the backs of the chairs.

Placement is crucial, but if you're just starting out with this stuff, it'll take a few weeks-months to get to know the sweet spots of your speakers and your room. So to start with, just point them at you and live with that for a bit. Nothing is forever, you can always adjust.

Thanks AJ - they do look like they're pointing behind the couch but they're facing towards the centre. The tweeters are exactly 2 feet above my ear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_175931.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2616928  

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds

Last edited by Dustin Windsor; 09-17-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added pic
post #11 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

Dolby labs suggests ear height for a 5.1 configuration. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/su...5-1-setup.html

If you were doing a 5.1.4 Atmos setup, you'd definitely want to have a height difference between the surrounds and the Atmos speakers.

Thank you for the link Bob - i really thought i read the tweeter should be 2-3 feet above ear - not directly at ear level...now im confused after reading Dolby says to keep them at ear height.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #12 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not uncommon to have the surrounds 1-2 feet above ear level:

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-Elhs6vm...placement.html
https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.co...placement.html
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/74...aker-placement

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #13 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for the link Bob - i really thought i read the tweeter should be 2-3 feet above ear - not directly at ear level...now im confused after reading Dolby says to keep them at ear height.
1-2 feet above ear level is fine.

post #14 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just get rid of the balancing act (i.e. lay the speaker flat on the base). If you don't trust your ears, then let your wife sit in the various positions while you modify the height and toe-in. Let HER tell what sounds best. You are looking to follow rules that are subjective, so let them be subjective by allowing the experimentation to make your decision.
Ryan Statz and Dustin Windsor like this.

post #15 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just get rid of the balancing act (i.e. lay the speaker flat on the base). If you don't trust your ears, then let your wife sit in the various positions while you modify the height and toe-in. Let HER tell what sounds best. You are looking to follow rules that are subjective, so let them be subjective by allowing the experimentation to make your decision.

Any advice on how to test surrounds? I have tons of movies, but i'm sure this isn't appropriate.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #16 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Set them up as your front L&R speakers (disconnect L&R, then connect to those speaker terminals). Turn off Audyssey and any and all modes (i.e. Dynamic Anything, Night Mode, whatever). Set up the system as "Pure Direct" or "Stereo" and play music she is familiar with. Start at the 2' height and play with the toe-in, from the speakers pointed directly at each other, to pointed at the opposite farthest seating position, to pointed to the middle chair. Be sure she sits in all the seats for a time, for each position test, as you want to hear if you have a balanced sound in all seating positions. "Speaker in the ear syndrome" is to be avoided at all costs (where while seated closest to one speaker or the other, all you can really hear is that speaker and it's way too loud). Now, lower the speakers 6" and repeat the process. Continue until the speaker's tweeter is at ear height. I figure 4 heights, 3 positions at each height, so 12 test runs ....

If you go through the entire process and have no success, try moving the speakers rearward about a foot and try again (on another day, don't want to burn her out).

Once she has chosen a position, set it up with the fronts and rears to their original connectors, and re-run Audyssey. Live with it for a while. If you like the outcome, you are done. If not, play around some more until you find it's happy place (and yours/hers ).

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-17-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Hey guys,

IMO it's annoying having surrounds speakers firing right into your ears. Especially when sitting nearer to one of them. 5-6 feet high with no tilt is my preference.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 549
As others have stated, 1 to 2 feet above ear level is fine, and no tilt is needed if your speaker has decent vertical off axis response. In fact, with a tilt like that, it might even make the sound a bit too bright (but your ears can be the judge). Also, the reason people typically mount 1 to 2 feet above ear level is to help those in the middle seats not get the sound blocked by the head of those on the outside seats I think.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have seen that sort of thing.

I suspect that it may defeat the purpose to a degree if the speakers are tilted down toward the MLP, though. Is that correct?
post #20 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I have seen that sort of thing.

I suspect that it may defeat the purpose to a degree if the speakers are tilted down toward the MLP, though. Is that correct?
perhaps if it points directly at ear level? I have mine pointed slightly downwards (~7 degrees), and I think even that passes my ear level a bit more than a foot (and that's really only because the tweeter is probably a bit more than 2 feet above my ear level).

Regardless, the OP could stand to lower his surrounds, and not tilt them downwards as it looks like they're above 2 feet from their ear level.

post #21 of 24 Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
IMO it's annoying having surrounds speakers firing right into your ears. Especially when sitting nearer to one of them. 5-6 feet high with no tilt is my preference.

Awesome thanks. I did have them at ear level, and it was frustrating. All i could hear is the right speaker (i sit on the right), and my wife could only hear the left (she sits on the left).
We raised them yesterday and noticed it a little bit less. Its still very heavy on each side...
I sit in the middle, its perfect - but that seat has no recline, the middle sucks haha

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #22 of 24 Old 09-18-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
As others have stated, 1 to 2 feet above ear level is fine, and no tilt is needed if your speaker has decent vertical off axis response. In fact, with a tilt like that, it might even make the sound a bit too bright (but your ears can be the judge). Also, the reason people typically mount 1 to 2 feet above ear level is to help those in the middle seats not get the sound blocked by the head of those on the outside seats I think.

Love the advice and that's exactly whats happening. When we had them at ear level i couldn't see the far speaker as my wife's head would block it and the couch back would also block most of it. We bought these new stands yesterday to raise them. I guess the 2 feet up is a perfect position ( i could lower them 6 inches as well).

-I took the silly blocks off and there is no tilt.
m0j0 likes this.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #23 of 24 Old 09-18-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
perhaps if it points directly at ear level? I have mine pointed slightly downwards (~7 degrees), and I think even that passes my ear level a bit more than a foot (and that's really only because the tweeter is probably a bit more than 2 feet above my ear level).

Regardless, the OP could stand to lower his surrounds, and not tilt them downwards as it looks like they're above 2 feet from their ear level.

My tweeter is exactly 2 feet above my ear.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
post #24 of 24 Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thanks. I did have them at ear level, and it was frustrating. All i could hear is the right speaker (i sit on the right), and my wife could only hear the left (she sits on the left).
We raised them yesterday and noticed it a little bit less. Its still very heavy on each side...
I sit in the middle, its perfect - but that seat has no recline, the middle sucks haha
I'm reluctant to spend other people's money for them, but you may need to consider bipoles, or even dipoles, for your surrounds. https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...pole-vs-bipole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page