Quick Speaker Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick Speaker Recommendations

Just looking for some quick advice. I am located in northern Canada so there aren't many speakers around me to test.

Currently I have a pair of Ascend 340se and a Rythmik LV12R.

I was just given an option for a pair of brand new kef r900 for about 3k canadian. I read a couple reviews and most said the kef weren't as good as the other high end competitors.

But that's against the 5k competitors, just wondering if anyone has experience with these. I am about 50/50 music and home theatre.

Or if there are any other recommendations for this price point delivered to Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Totem would be a good brand to explore. Canadian company, excellent sound for music and movies. They are a warmer sounding speaker than your current speakers, or the KEFs, for that matter. If you can go listen to the KEFs, then that would be my next step.

At that price point, it might make some sense to plan a weekend in some larger city, so you can hear a wide variety of options. Unheard, you could find you've made a mistake.

Other Canadian speakers companies to consider: PSB, Paradigm.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Currently on my way to audition the kef r900.

Just want to make sure they aren't a fake deal at 3k Canadian. We will see how they sound. Hoping I can do a home audition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcold94 View Post
Hey Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Currently on my way to audition the kef r900.

Just want to make sure they aren't a fake deal at 3k Canadian. We will see how they sound. Hoping I can do a home audition.
Your impressions of the KEF?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think it is going to cost a ton of money to beat your current setup. I would probably put money into room acoustic treatments and a second Rythmik sub before considering a full-on speaker upgrade. What are you looking for in terms of sound beyond what you currently have?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Benq HT2050 + 92" Silver Ticket
Onkyo 818 -> KEF Q100, Q200c L/C/R; Cambridge Minx Min 12 surrounds; SVS PC-2000 + SB-1000
Homebrew file server/HTPC
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

So brought the Kefs home to trial.
Honest impressions... Hard to notice the difference. They do sound more clear and a bit of a nicer sound stage. But they have a harshness I notice in some guitar rifts and female vocals.

They are not the crazy difference I was expecting, especially in the midbass department.

I am letting them break in and going to try them some more. I feel like I would be better off spending the 3k on a better sub for the Ascends.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

@dixieflatline ,

Two things I am looking for.
a) a nicer finish, to be blunt the Ascends are kind of ugly. my wife has expressed some dissatisfaction with how they look compared to the rest of our room.

B) midrange bass, I never really got that chest thumping bass I wanted from the Ascends, but that may the subwoofer.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
@dixieflatline ,

a) a nicer finish, to be blunt the Ascends are kind of ugly. my wife has expressed some dissatisfaction with how they look compared to the rest of our room.

B) midrange bass, I never really got that chest thumping bass I wanted from the Ascends, but that may the subwoofer.
A) perhaps a different line of Ascend speakers? The Sierra Towers: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html look pretty gorgeous to me - at 2200-2300 USD/pair, that would fall under your 5K budget even with exchange/duty/etc...

B) Chest-thumping bass would come from the subwoofer, not really the speakers, and that could be due to your settings/sub placement. The LV12R alone should be able to dig deep enough to give you that chest-thumping feeling.

EDIT: I would even look at Salk - some fo their towers fall well inside your budget, too... and they're absolutely beautiful speakers.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 09-17-2019 at 11:45 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation on Salk, my budget is closer to 3k CAD not the 5k you mentioned. I don't see an Salk with Shipping near that option .

I did message ascend about a pair of Sierra 2 EX, I am just not sure if they will have higher enough sensitivity for a nice dynamic range.

Kefs are still at home and plan to continue trying them. For a tower speaker they do sound anemic... Even compared to the 340se.
I surely thought a retail pair of 5k speakers would blow the Ascends out of the water.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation on Salk, my budget is closer to 3k CAD not the 5k you mentioned. I don't see an Salk with Shipping near that option .

I did message ascend about a pair of Sierra 2 EX, I am just not sure if they will have higher enough sensitivity for a nice dynamic range.

Kefs are still at home and plan to continue trying them. For a tower speaker they do sound anemic... Even compared to the 340se.
I surely thought a retail pair of 5k speakers would blow the Ascends out of the water.
Are you dead set on towers?

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Quote:

Give the R900's plenty of space from the front and side wall. Try them full range without the sub. With dual 8" woofers those speakers should be pumping out plenty of bass. Could be your source or audio quality.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
@dixieflatline ,

A. How about the SVS Pinnacle towers?

B. Chest thumping is more a sub function and requires a lot of output at high volumes- like really loud.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #13 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Not dead set on towers at all. I love a nice bookshelf, just need to factor in the cost of nice stands for them or a second sub and have two bookshelfs sitting on the subs if that's a possibility.

I'll check out the SVS as well.

Thanks everyone for the recommendation so far.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
@dixieflatline ,

a) Totally get the aesthetics thing.

b) The cmt340 (2 6-inch midwoofers) and rythmik lv12r should be no slouches in giving you midbass punch.

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the speaker setup... especially if you are placing the KEFs in the same location and have the same complaint about their bass. I have experience with KEF R series and they are not bass-shy or lean in their voicing at all.

It would be great if you could give more details about how things are set up and configured (room size, listening distance, speaker positioning, what amp / avr / bass management settings), but two things immediately come to mind:

- speaker position and listening position... are either your speakers or listening seat pushed up against a wall? If so, experiment with pulling them out away from the wall a foot or half a foot (however much you can get away with). If that's impossible you need to look at room EQ solutions such as audyssey and buying/building bass traps to fix the issue.

- bad integration of the subwoofer... if the crossover frequency and phase settings are improperly set, you can get cancellation between the rythmik and the ascends right at the crossover region (typically 80hz which is the kick drum fundamental / chest slam sensation frequency). Try playing some bass sweep or test tone and adjust the distance setting of the sub and hear for yourself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Benq HT2050 + 92" Silver Ticket
Onkyo 818 -> KEF Q100, Q200c L/C/R; Cambridge Minx Min 12 surrounds; SVS PC-2000 + SB-1000
Homebrew file server/HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page